Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Interesting question - if you show up and say, for instance, "I'm visiting from the US and I'd like to buy X and Y using US currency", I wonder how they'd handle that.
Retail stores in touristy areas have done that for years. For example, Harrod’s in London lets you process the charge in multiple currencies. Usually they offer a worse exchange rate than just letting the credit card company process it in the local currency, but in a situation like this I can see how it might work. It probably depends on what arrangement Apple in Turkey has with their payment processors. Maybe they need to change things to allow settlement in another currency there.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Just peg prices to currency exchange rate and update them daily, easy
It’s a bit more complicated than that. For that to work, Apple would likely need to have a way to convert the day’s proceeds into a more stable currency. I don’t know if Turkey has imposed capital controls, but those are the kinds of moves that central banks make when dealing with plunging exchange rates.

Reactions: msackey

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
its not useless if you're a tourist.
They want you to pay in Euros or Dollars if you are a tourist.

The people buying Apple stuff are not gonna use it. They want something of value to sell later when they need cash. Same is happening today to jewelers, people buying luxury things and also perfumes are being sold in big bottles.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Soon worldwide. The world economy is now collapsing
Trying to buy anything of quality in the USA can be difficult right now because there isn't enough supply. Refrigerators, ovens, cars, patio doors, fine wood products, various quality food items.

Apple seems like the same situation. And SONY PS5, and Xbox, etc. There are more people out there with money than there are products to sell.

Talking to a luxury appliance salesman and he says people are trying to bribe him as well as pay over list, but you just can't get a subzero or a miele no matter what.

This is a post war situation, where despite demand, there aren't enough factories to supply the products, but if companies were to do a rushed expansion, then in a few years there would be a glut of capacity to deal with.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
Trying to buy anything of quality in the USA can be difficult right now because there isn't enough supply. Refrigerators, ovens, cars, patio doors, fine wood products, various quality food items.

Apple seems like the same situation. And SONY PS5, and Xbox, etc. There are more people out there with money than there are products to sell.

Talking to a luxury appliance salesman and he says people are trying to bribe him as well as pay over list, but you just can't get a subzero or a miele no matter what.

This is a post war situation, where despite demand, there aren't enough factories to supply the products, but if companies were to do a rushed expansion, then in a few years there would be a glut of capacity to deal with.
you have no idea what’s going on here

Reactions: Sanme

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Just change the prices to $US and also in the stores take $US and €. Problem solved. It has already been said several times that many people in Turkey have € and $US and use them regularly to escape the inflation.
That's probably illegal in Turkey, as it would be in most countries in the world. Governments cannot control inflation if they have no control over the money supply and I doubt that Turkey would hand over monetary control to the US or the EU just like that. It's one thing if a local store takes € discreetly over the counter and records sales in TL but another thing if a public website just sends a message to dump the Lira.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
This does not fix the problem. Crypto in such cases are only a payment platform and does not fix the issue of the local economy (Turkey) being badly managed by a clown leader. Turks paying in crypto would still have to convert from their local currency, so there’s no gain for either party.

If a company did take crypto they would have to cash it out immediately because if the crypto crashes 20-30% like it did in the last two weeks then there is a huge loss. If the crypto isn’t sold and appreciates then there are bigger taxes to pay. It’s a stupid solution for anything except drugs and gambling.
Far more stable than the Lira which appears to be crashing 20% per day. And they don't have to cash out immediately because unlike fiat money bitcoin is appreciating rather than going to zero.

AMC and now Regal cinemas are accepting crypto.

Many companies already accept it.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Just change the prices to $US and also in the stores take $US and €. Problem solved. It has already been said several times that many people in Turkey have € and $US and use them regularly to escape the inflation.
Not quite. People may not have access to US$ so they still have to convert to local currency, and Apple would have to decide which conversion number to use. People may buy iPhones and return them a few days later. Then what?

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
They want you to pay in Euros or Dollars if you are a tourist.

The people buying Apple stuff are not gonna use it. They want something of value to sell later when they need cash. Same is happening today to jewelers, people buying luxury things and also perfumes are being sold in big bottles.
Strange, I was there for 2 years and just got back last week, not once anyone ask me to pay in euro or dollars.

Biglethal69

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2019
Australia
This is why you don't run any company. Stick to playing Fortnite in the basement and for the love of God stay away from economic topics going forward!
Haha I don’t play games I’m not a kid.
Plus you don’t know who or what I manage. Go back to your black magic tricks.

• Haha
Reactions: Sanme

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Just peg prices to currency exchange rate and update them daily, easy
So what if you buy something and take it back for a refund, but the currency has fallen in the meantime?
It wouldn't take long for people to realise that they could use Apple purchases as a useful hedge against inflation and they would be inundated with people buying stuff and taking it back a couple of days later.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Just print so much (fiat) money you cause hyper inflation bro. It's a warning to every country in the world what happens when money has no value and government just makes it up as we go along

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I don't see any other way for Apple when complying to local laws.

Unofficial currency clubs have been operated for a long time in Turkey. So much trading going on between teams. Always funny how when I go over my friends ask me to join them and bring cash from abroad for their Lira. But I get better rates just withdrawing from the ATM or Pay by card with my banks than my friends offer me, cheeky gits ?

Anyway pretty normal for those who live there, doesn't effect normal daily living much, but does naturally where it involves import/export in the chain.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Far more stable than the Lira which appears to be crashing 20% per day. And they don't have to cash out immediately because unlike fiat money bitcoin is appreciating rather than going to zero.

AMC and now Regal cinemas are accepting crypto.

Many companies already accept it.

I don’t need crypto spam and marketing propaganda from overhyped theater chain that used market manipulation to steal millions of dollars from stupid amateur investors. Why do you think you’re the only person who reads about these things?

Less companies directly accept crypto today than 5-6 years ago and even when companies accept it very few payments are made because people are brainwashed to ‘trade’ or ‘hodl’ only. Spending an appreciating asset incurs a capital gains tax. Spending a depreciating asset incurs a capital gains loss.

Cryptos have crashed 20% in a single day many many times, and they have had many bubbles in the last 10 years after which they crashed 80-90%.

That’s what happens when a market place is controlled by a few entities and they are performing market manipulation crimes, including create fake trading volumes, using bots to spam the internet, and creating counterfeit money to do pump n dumps.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: freedomlinux

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
And you’re not necessarily providing much information there either.
The Inflation is now around 400% percent, the crash is coming soon!
The central banks are creating money out of thin air, and now we are at the end game of this monetary system.
its expected to be the biggest economic crash of all time

Last edited:

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Might work, except is it against local laws?

In the country I grew up in, that is illegal which pushed people and goods into the black market.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Interesting question - if you show up and say, for instance, "I'm visiting from the US and I'd like to buy X and Y using US currency", I wonder how they'd handle that.
*It might escape you, a country gets cheaper if the value of the currency decreases against yours, so, your holiday becomes (even) cheaper.

I was travelling through Asia when local economies crashed, the value of most currencies decreased by a lot, not good for locals, for us though it became even cheaper.

*That's what I read from the post you replied to.

Reactions: CarlJ

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
That's an interesting situation from an economic point of view. Apple obviously cannot sell products to final customers in US$ in Turkey (and that's normal) but I suppose that they can sell in US$ to local distributors and these local distributors should then be able to sell in Lira to final customers, using spot change (and some margin).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.