Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biglethal69

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2019
Australia
Funny one of the richest companies in the world stop sales due to a currency fluctuation eg: “can’t take a hit” but you don’t see Apple dropping prices when the exchange rate goes the other way they just keep taking more profit. Omg we can’t miss out on making a few billion profit today. Good old Tim’s Cooking the books again.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Just peg prices to currency exchange rate and update them daily, easy
exchange rates can flux during the day and wildly. Say your the first customer in the door. And you spend 100 Lira on something (anything). Next hour the price goes up 15%. So the next customer buying the same exact 100 Lira item is now charged 115 Lira. Then another hour goes by and another price hike of say 10% and so on and so forth. Or the reverse. Last customer pays the least. Wouldn't be very fair to anyone in that country.

Better to wait for it to stabilize and not have to deal with any of these price fluxes.

CthuluLemon

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2020
This is what happens when there is such inflation. I've lived through such situations before in another country. Your 100 whatever-currency-unit is worth x amount one day but the next day or even in a few hours is worth x/5000.
This isn’t just inflation per se, but associated volatility as well; the Lira has been jumping all over the place because no one can discern the state of the Turkish economy. It’s a product of a massive loss a faith in the Turkish government’s economic management and Erdogan’s refusal to acknowledge he doesn’t know enough about economic and monetary policy to make changes by fiat. It’s much more than just the inflation we’re seeing across the globe.

Last edited:

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
Funny one of the richest companies in the world stop sales due to a currency fluctuation eg: “can’t take a hit” but you don’t see Apple dropping prices when the exchange rate goes the other way they just keep taking more profit. Omg we can’t miss out on making a few billion profit today. Good old Tim’s Cooking the books again.
Except they have kept selling their products despite the value of the Lira dropping for some time now without making price adjustments. Which means they already have been taking a hit in regards to profit. Are you really expecting a company to sell you something at cost? Shareholders would grill Tim Cook. Take a step back and think about the incredibly delusional take you posted.

Xtir

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2021
Course they can, but with complicated epos systems at multiple stores across the country - the software for which is written by a third party, the payment processing of which is handled by banks - it’s not something they can necessarily do at the drop of a hat.
With easypay this is allready built in.. should not be too hard to activate..

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
If only they accepted crypto for payment.

(Tim owns some.)
This does not fix the problem. Crypto in such cases are only a payment platform and does not fix the issue of the local economy (Turkey) being badly managed by a clown leader. Turks paying in crypto would still have to convert from their local currency, so there’s no gain for either party.

If a company did take crypto they would have to cash it out immediately because if the crypto crashes 20-30% like it did in the last two weeks then there is a huge loss. If the crypto isn’t sold and appreciates then there are bigger taxes to pay. It’s a stupid solution for anything except drugs and gambling.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Just peg prices to currency exchange rate and update them daily, easy
Not easy because:

Imagine Day 1 they charge you say 100 Lira for ItemA. On that day 100 Lira = 100 US$. But at the end of the day the 100 Lira that Apple received and put in the bank is now worth 1/100 US$ or 1 cent because of inflation. Pegging a wildly fluctuating currency to a stable foreign currency doesn’t work.

One way that stores in countries that experience this is to charge prices in a stable foreign currency. For instance the store may only charge in Euros. However, that may go against local laws and probably does in Turkey.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
This is expressing zero understanding of what is going on. Please read up on countries that experience this and what happens. They are lots of historical examples.

Biglethal69

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2019
Australia
Except they have kept selling their products despite the value of the Lira dropping for some time now without making price adjustments. Which means they already have been taking a hit in regards to profit. Are you really expecting a company to sell you something at cost? Shareholders would grill Tim Cook. Take a step back and think about the incredibly delusional take you posted.
Omg Apple are worth trillions and make huge profit yes I think they could take the hit because the amount they make from accessories alone would make up for the difference. Come on the charge up to $89 for a plastic case in Australia and other countries that other sellers offer similar items for around $10 with a mass production you’re really telling me that there’s not hundreds of percent mark up on their accessories that they can’t lose a little on their main products that they still be making profit on an iPhone only cost around $400 to Make yet sells for over $2000. Why should it be about shareholders they just don’t care they just want money the same as the company, why do you think they buy the shares. Other retail stores can offer up to 15% discount on Apple items but Apple offers you nothing and often won’t even match other companies prices so don’t try and tell me there’s a problem with my post. It’s called My opinion.

Last edited:

PlainBelliedSneetch

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Omg Apple are worth trillions and make huge profit yes I think they could take the hit because the amount the make from accessories alone would make up for the difference. Come on the charge up to $89 for a piece of plastic case in Australia and other countries that other sellers offer similar items for around 10 with a mass production you’re really telling me that there’s not hundreds of percent mark up on their accessories that they can’t lose a little on their main products that they still be making profit on an iPhone only cost around $400 to Make yet sells for over $2000. Why should it be about shareholders they just didn’t have the money the same as the company is why do you think they buy the shares other retail stores can offer up to 15% discount on Apple items but Apple offers you nothing and often won’t even match other companies prices so don’t try and tell me there’s a problem with my post.
Lol, nothing wrong with your post /s

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Omg Apple are worth trillions and make huge profit yes I think they could take the hit because the amount the make from accessories alone would make up for the difference. Come on the charge up to $89 for a piece of plastic case in Australia and other countries that other sellers offer similar items for around 10 with a mass production you’re really telling me that there’s not hundreds of percent mark up on their accessories that they can’t lose a little on their main products that they still be making profit on an iPhone only cost around $400 to Make yet sells for over $2000. Why should it be about shareholders they just didn’t have the money the same as the company is why do you think they buy the shares other retail stores can offer up to 15% discount on Apple items but Apple offers you nothing and often won’t even match other companies prices so don’t try and tell me there’s a problem with my post.
This is why you don't run any company. Stick to playing Fortnite in the basement and for the love of God stay away from economic topics going forward!

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Just change the prices to $US and also in the stores take $US and €. Problem solved. It has already been said several times that many people in Turkey have € and $US and use them regularly to escape the inflation.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
If they can't sell anything in Turkey who in the world the store is open and what are the employees doing? Chit chatting and turning people away?
The article literally says, "According to the report, customers with service appointments are being attended to, while customers looking to purchase products are being turned away". Would you rather they not keep service appointments that have already been made?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.