Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Yawn, yet another member of this community that evidently has nothing to add to the conversation except condescension.

I know of this mystical macOS and am using it this very second. I prefer the way the Apple iOS store works and would prefer if the macOS world worked the same but it doesn't. I knew that when I bought a Mac, doesn't mean I can't think the iOS ecosystem is better.
Yawn, if macOS is mystical to you, then you may as well have bought an iPad instead. Yeah, I am fully condescending when it's earned.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I expect what will really happen is the loss of lock in and exclusivity will force Apple to defend it's half trillion dollar a year in sales by improving the App Store so that developers continue to use it. And developers will continue to use it.
Again, the bigger companies (Microsoft, Adobe, etc) will not need to be on the platform at all. They already have means in which to sell their stuff, world wide. With the resources and name recognition that people trust going direct to them. Games will move to cloud streaming (mostly AAA). And the smaller developers will be split between the Appstore, if they find the value worth it vs going it alone (side load or web app). Or 3rd party store hopping. Whichever gives them the best deal (not you the consumer). Which leaves the consumer looking for their app as it was their yesterday on the AppStore now its on EPIC Store, then on Steam Store, or Cheap-O-Beep-O 3rd party store, and so on.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Then let's say they could be much better than their current incarnations and fall behind many 3rd party offerings.
This does leave room for competition in those spaces though no? I mean, I'm ok with calendar and mail and not so much with Files (Its not Finder, since its a phone and not a desktop computer) or the photo's app since again its a phone and a bit harder to edit with compared with a full computer. This does leave room for competition in those spaces that dare to make an app that can do more.

I suppose Apple could just make all the apps one would need for 90% of the consumer population and maybe still be successful enough.

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
And if your not willing to switch, why should any of us be willing to accept this?
Come now, dude. You're just being wilfully ignorant here.

Switching from iOS to Android means spending another $1k+ to buy another phone and then try to purchase/replace apps that I might already have invested in.

The cost of you switching one or two apps that stop being served up by Apple's store would cost you little to nothing.

Reactions: dk001

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012

Switching from iOS to Android means spending another $1k+ to buy another phone and then try to purchase/replace apps that I might already have invested in.

The cost of you switching one or two apps that stop being served up by Apple's store would cost you little to nothing.
You can buy an Android phone for less than that.
Your right, it will cost "me" less to switch apps than others on this site I'm sure. However, none of us have to switch just yet. And we don't want to if we don't have to. Same as you not wanting to switch devices if you don't have to.
But, you may have purchased an iPhone. And now don't like the system in which it works under. You can purchase when your ready, a new phone (not an iPhone clearly) at that time and get what you want.

Maybe what you should be looking for here is that developers allow your purchases from one store to be valid for another platform. Boom..

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
You perhaps not as much as many put forth the worst case scenarios, yet the "examples" of what could go wrong are constantly trotted out as "see what could/will happen" to scare an opinion instead of inviting a discussion.

Well, of course your opinion may vary but I feel I have been putting forth legit concerns about how I feel the consumer experience will be impacted and doing nothing but inviting conversation. Unfortunately not many people here seem willing to discuss those concerns but only seem interested in condescension.

Let's try this, assuming that some apps will leave the Apple App Store for either their own or for a competing store, how exactly, and please be specific, is the user experience enhanced by:
  • Having to web search for apps and being shown mostly just the "boosted" web results versus visiting a single store to see all apps presented in a way that meant for apps and not just generic web search results?
  • Having to create accounts on the store or web site for each individual app that leaves the Apple store and providing all of my personal and payment information to each.
  • Having to update each app individually versus just going to the Apple App Store app and updating all of ones apps at once.
  • Losing the privacy score cards that Apple forces on devs.
I acknowledge that alt-stores will enhance the consumer experience by opening up iPhones to apps that Apple currently does not allow but I struggle with how alt-stores will further enhance the user experience beyond that. I absolutely do not believe that alt-stores will lower prices to consumers.

Sounds like you are the one that was willfully ignorant when you bought a $1k+ device that didn't allow you to do what you wanted with it, buyers remorse much? If you wait until your normal upgrade time then the cost of the device is a wash and I would think that any costs you incur for apps that allow you the freedom you seek will be money well spent.

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
IMHO major apps from household name companies/devs can and probably will pull out of the Apple iOS store because in all honesty they can. Examples: Microsoft Office 365, in a world with alt-stores you know exactly where it will be, microsoft.com. Netflix, same. Amazon, same.
Based on what precedent? Exactly zero of those currently host their Android apps on their own sites, even though the option has been available for them to do so for years. They will host their apps in exactly the place where it makes the most sense for them and their users, and right now, even with all these changes coming down the pipe, that will probably be the Apple store, barring Apple getting stupid with their hosting fees.

Now, as you pointed out the subscriptions for these apps are currently run outside of Apple, I don't like this but there is nothing I can do about it.
Why don't you like it? Personally, I have absolutely no problem paying Microsoft directly for my O365 subscription, Netflix for that subscription, Roku for the other channels I subscribe to, etc. There has been absolutely nothing that makes me trust Apple with my payment information any more than any of these other providers. Apple is very much like the TSA - good at giving the illusion of security, but most of it is theatre meant to make you feel comfortable handing over your credit card.

Now, as far as buying indie-developed apps from a company that clearly does not have the desire or ability to tie their system into a proper PCI-DSS compliant payment provider, sure, I'm never giving my payment info to those companies. I will gladly buy those apps from a store run by Apple or Google.. or any of a number of competent app store operators. Again, this is where Apple can either innovate and provide some actual value, or they can GTF out of the way and let someone who doesn't just rely on obscurity to ensure their customers' security.

Do you need to give your CC information to Coca-Cola when you buy a bottle from a supermarket?
Of course I don't. Do you only ever shop at Wal Mart so that you can avoid using your credit card at other stores for so-called "security" reasons? Didn't think so. It's almost like having multiple retailers, each accepting of various electronic payment methods have been a thing for so long that people don't even think about how paranoid you'd have to be to patronize multiple stores.

Why is it so hard for some to understand how giving a single entity (Apple) my payment info versus countless individual sites and payment processors is a huge consumer advantage?
Because it's not. It's a huge consumer disadvantage because it eliminates avenues of competition. You only have to look at your own examples to see that in practice. There's a reason why many AAA games constantly go on sale (or are even often given away for free) on competitive game stores such as Steam and Epic.

About the only "advantage" the consumer gains with app store lock-in is the convenience of One-Click shopping (hello, Amazon) and the illusion of security (as already explained above).

Apple would likely institute a distribution charge for anything downloaded from their store and fair charge or not most big names won't want to pay it and will want the traffic to come from their site and not Apple's. Imagine you are Microsoft, do you want users downloading Office365 from Apple and seeing competitors or do you want them seeing only Microsoft products on the Microsoft site?
Microsoft is probably the worst company you could have used for this example. Microsoft is far more concerned with ensuring that their apps are visible to as many users as possible than they are about the remote possibility that some random competitor's app lures a significant number of potential paid Office users away. Above all else, MS want to make it as easy as possible for users to download their core apps, and even with competing stores existing, that would be by continuing to host those apps on Apple's flagship app store.

Adobe may have been a better example, given that there are viable alternatives to some of their mobile apps, but even in that case, if I were Adobe, I would host my apps wherever they get the most visibility, as my major goal isn't to sell a $2.99 photo filter - it is to sign more people up to my $70/mo application suite.

Seeing competing products is not something any manufacturer/dev wants.
Only if they are a manufacturer/dev that has little confidence in their app competing in the marketplace.

Indie and small devs will likely remain on the Apple app store as it gives them way more eyeballs than they could possibly generate on their own and handles payments, etc. 30% is a no brainer for that kind of exposure and infrastructure.
Yes, I agree.

From a purely retail perspective.... Apple is no different than any other retailer, digital or brick and mortar, if something is purchased from their site they deserve a cut, even if it is just a "player" app like Netflix or Spotify.
In a competitive market, Apple is absolutely free to set their terms on that deal. The problem is that, today, that market isn't competitive, so Apple's cut is extortionate.

Unfortunately our world is one where the majority of "apps" are free with IAP. Imagine the loose analogy where you would enter a supermarket, take a gallon of milk off the shelf and go home without paying because you can go to the milk manufacturers web site and purchase and unlock code for the cap, loose analogy but relevant.
How about you stop with stupid analogies that have absolutely no bearing on what we're talking about. Apple's relative cost to host an app is a fraction of a fraction of the cost of a supermarket's cost in selling milk. Seriously, the fact that you have to come up with such a ridiculous scenario to try to illustrate your argument only serves to prove how ridiculous your argument is in the first place. Just stop.

Right this minute Microsoft is selling a 1 year subscription to 365 on Amazon for $58.99 do you really think that Amazon is not getting a cut of that sale? Amazon does not sell anything for free.
Sure. Microsoft and Amazon have made a deal to sell Office for a given price, and with a given amount of margin given to Amazon. I can also go to Staples or Costco to buy a 1-year subscription. Or I can do what I'm doing now and pay for it directly to Microsoft.

Again, that's called "competition". Microsoft isn't limited to selling subscriptions through one retailer, and Amazon is not limited to selling Microsoft products.

As a consumer I appreciate the following from the Apple store:
  • Single point for app searching - Why do I want to "google" or web search for apps? You only get results that pay to play for their position. That is literally the Google business model for searches. With the Apple store if I search on "word search" I get a single choice that is labeled as an "ad" and then all of the other choices.
These both are pretty much the same searching model. Apple shows you paid ad results up top, just as Google does. You're being pretty disingenuous when you say that you only see paid results on Google - that has literally never been the case, and it is just as easy to identify paid results on Google's searches.

However, of course, you do have other search engines you can use - you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to Google. It's just the one most people use because they've generally had good results with that one.

• Single point for payment - Again, say you have 100 apps, would you rather give your CC info to only Apple or to 100 different entities that use god knows who as their payment processor? Would it not be prudent to limit your exposure in this day and age?
This is a red herring. There will never be a situation where you can't pay for any of those 100 random apps from some storefront employing a competent payment provider. As I alluded to above, anyone who is that concerned with limiting how many stores with their "god knows who" payment providers transact with your credit card, you would never go to restaurants, never shop at multiple retailers, or even *gasp* dare enter a mall. I mean geezuz - how many different places do you swipe your card on a single day if you're out on a shopping trip?

• Single point for updates - Right now I see a little red circle with a number in it when an apps have an update and I can do all my updates from one place, super convenient! Why do I want to visit 100 different sites to do updates or do 100 different update actions in my individual apps? Lame experience.
There is no technical reason why Apple couldn't design the update functionality in iOS to work with third-party stores or software providers. Multiple-source updates has been a thing in the Linux world for longer than iOS has even existed. The loss of this functionality, would be due to Apple choosing not to support that functionality or build it into the OS.

• Privacy - Apple forces devs to declare what they are collecting, I do not see that service being provided by alt-stores, I see a return to 100 page EULAs with text few can understand as the only way to determine what apps are doing.
Another red herring. Apple already controls access to data within the phone via their API, and they hold the encryption keys. Where an app is hosted has absolutely zero bearing on whether that app can bypass the APIs in iOS.

Reactions: dk001

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
Sounds like you are the one that was willfully ignorant when you bought a $1k+ device that didn't allow you to do what you wanted with it, buyers remorse much? If you wait until your normal upgrade time then the cost of the device is a wash and I would think that any costs you incur for apps that allow you the freedom you seek will be money well spent.
By your standards, I would think that most iPhone purchases are "wilfully ignorant" then. Despite what the vocal iFanatics on a website like this one would have you believe, Apple's walled garden is pretty low on the list of reasons why most iPhone buyers choose an iPhone. The fact that so many world governments are now acting on Apple's anti-competitive practices should clue you in that there are probably a lot of people who are exactly in the same boat as me when it comes to "buyers remorse".

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

My iPhone is used as a work device while Android is my personal / consulting device. There is a lot to be liked by both however the restrictions on iOS are why Android is my main. If they “unlock” iOS that would be a far tougher decision. Even allowing to default all apps would do that

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildkraut

KevinN206

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
I don't want to go back to the bad old days of buying apps off of sketchy websites like I had to do for my Palm Pilot. I suspect there will be enough apps that pull out of the AppStore that most people won't be able to just choose to stay in the walled garden like many people suggest.
Which apps do you think would pull from the App Store and disappear from billions of iOS devices?

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Need a good product to make money. To wit apples revenue. After the EU gets done with its nanny rules, it’s debatable if there is a good product. Might be cheaper to pull out.
EU, heh? Didn’t you see the bipartisan storm winding up on the US coast?

Apple will get a finishing move with fatality in the US. It’s just a matter of time till they hear “Get over here…”, get pierced by an arrow in their cold heart and get dragged to court. Antitrust Laws wins, flawless victory…🩸🩸🩸🩸🩸

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Had Apple not locked down iOS in the beginning, and ran it much more like macOS from the start...does anyone truly believe: 1) they would have made any less money (measurably)? 2) the iPhone would not be secure?

Both ideas are very doubtful.
1) maybe, who could know
2) secure compared to what? Secure is a relative term because nothing is absolutely secure. It would absolutely be less secure than it is now because macOS is less secure. But macOS is for a different user than iOS, and iOS devices need to be more secure than macOS devices due to being much more personal, therefore the ramifications of security breach are more serious.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macative

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Here's the thing - none of those things will go away. Apple will still have a store, and you can still rest cozy in your little well-protected walled garden with your iNanny watching over you, if you want. All you need to do is not buy apps from other stores. While that might be a tad inconvenient because you really really want that killer app - that still becomes your choice, instead of Apple's. And it's still a far less invasive suggestion than you walled-garden fans telling us to ditch our iPhones and switch to Android every time this subject comes up.
Opening the ecosystem is not a win for all consumers, it’s a win for all devs. There will be consumers who lose if they want all their apps to be governed by Apple in the App Store and even one app that they need leaves the App Store, which is near inevitable. So what you’re actually talking about here is simply what one consumer (presumably you are talking from a consumer perspective, not dev) wants (open) vs what another consumer wants (closed). The only question then is, why should the law be on the side of one consumer and not the other? If no laws are broken, the law should stay out of it, the market should decide.

Boo to the Anti Consumer Care C. When ever an Australian Government department imposes regulation it only harms consumers like myself. For Apple to meet their increased regulations, it will cost them more and that cost will be passed onto the purchaser. If ACCC breaks a safe closed ecosystem then I will be exposed to more viruses and the less astute  product owners will unwittingly try to pass their viruses via e-mail, iMessage and AirDrop to me. Once again this pitiful little department tries to justify their existence. Can all the workers here, like myself, have their income tax reduced by .5% and disband a department that actually does harm to consumers?

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
When I first read the headline I thought Apple was donating to wildfire suppression given the massive wildfires they had in Australia before.

I was very confused about how that would be subject to antitrust.

That's where I'm at today. :D
Same here- I would have chosen a different headline! “Ecosystem” and “firefighting” in Australia?!

Reactions: AtomicDusk

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
That "platform" as you call it is a general purpose operating system running on computing devices owned by the people who bought them. Apple doesn't have to do anything other than publish the APIs for their operating system in order for a developer to develop software for it. They don't even have to write Xcode or any other toolset for development - they only do so to "sell access to the platform" that they artificially locked in the first place.

"Selling access to the platform" is just a weasily way to say "selling access to device owners."

Apple doesn't own its customers. When I develop an application, whether it be on iOS or Android or Mac OS or Windows, I am serving my customers. Not Apple's customers, not Google's customers, not Microsoft's customers. My customers. There is no reasonable excuse why I should need to buy "access" to my customers so that they can use the application that I create for them.
No, selling access to the platform is really about selling access to the platform. If I developed a new platform, I'm perfectly within my rights to sell access to developers to create apps on my platform. Happens all the time.

Except that most people switch phones every 2-3 years and most apps are either free, supscription-based, or require purchasing a new version every few years. The cost to switch is minimal.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Based on what precedent? Exactly zero of those currently host their Android apps on their own sites, even though the option has been available for them to do so for years. They will host their apps in exactly the place where it makes the most sense for them and their users, and right now, even with all these changes coming down the pipe, that will probably be the Apple store, barring Apple getting stupid with their hosting fees.
So why all the fuss about making Apple more open? I mean, if at the end of the day the direct competition doesn't have any more users/dev's leaving the Google Play Store. Why force this on Apple? How does it make anything better if literally not many others are using this method on the other platform that is also larger than Apple's? Seems like a massive waste of time no?
Why don't you like it? Personally, I have absolutely no problem paying Microsoft directly for my O365 subscription, Netflix for that subscription, Roku for the other channels I subscribe to, etc. There has been absolutely nothing that makes me trust Apple with my payment information any more than any of these other providers. Apple is very much like the TSA - good at giving the illusion of security, but most of it is theatre meant to make you feel comfortable handing over your credit card.
So it's all just an illusion? I could just walk past those security check points and walk on to any plane (no ticket/boarding pass) and go anywhere in the world (luggage included) and ignore those check points? That could save me a boat load of money for my next vacation.
Now, as far as buying indie-developed apps from a company that clearly does not have the desire or ability to tie their system into a proper PCI-DSS compliant payment provider, sure, I'm never giving my payment info to those companies. I will gladly buy those apps from a store run by Apple or Google.. or any of a number of competent app store operators. Again, this is where Apple can either innovate and provide some actual value, or they can GTF out of the way and let someone who doesn't just rely on obscurity to ensure their customers' security.
All of which you avoid having to do on the current AppStore. But, you believe most of that is an illusion so...
Of course I don't. Do you only ever shop at Wal Mart so that you can avoid using your credit card at other stores for so-called "security" reasons? Didn't think so. It's almost like having multiple retailers, each accepting of various electronic payment methods have been a thing for so long that people don't even think about how paranoid you'd have to be to patronize multiple stores.
We also have the choice as consumers which stores to visit and spend our money in. But, none of us expect to walk into a Walmart or Target and purchase at another register specific to the manufacture of the items we bought. We expect to pay Target or Walmart. We in many cases can go direct to the manufacture. Instead for convenience we go to these stores. Which is what Apple and Google provide with their respective stores. Customer convenience. You bought this device with our software on it. We or others we license made this device. We designed the hardware and software (Apple, and in some cases Google) to work a certain way and function a certain way. You can choose Apple or Google devices/OS. If you don't like the garden, you can leave. If you don't like Google or any of their devices, you can leave.
Because it's not. It's a huge consumer disadvantage because it eliminates avenues of competition. You only have to look at your own examples to see that in practice. There's a reason why many AAA games constantly go on sale (or are even often given away for free) on competitive game stores such as Steam and Epic.
But, it's not being used much on Android (like I stated above). So why are we doing this again? If we have enough research information to make that determination. That it is used very little on the largest platform. Why are we going through all this?
About the only "advantage" the consumer gains with app store lock-in is the convenience of One-Click shopping (hello, Amazon) and the illusion of security (as already explained above).
Again, as stated above. No stated benefit other than the illusion of more competition and no change in the illusionary security you don't really have today.
Microsoft is probably the worst company you could have used for this example.
They are like the 3rd most valuable company on earth. They sell world wide, and have all the infrastructure they need to do app distribution themselves. They are the one of the best examples.
Microsoft is far more concerned with ensuring that their apps are visible to as many users as possible than they are about the remote possibility that some random competitor's app lures a significant number of potential paid Office users away. Above all else, MS want to make it as easy as possible for users to download their core apps, and even with competing stores existing, that would be by continuing to host those apps on Apple's flagship app store.
Microsoft is anything but easy. Try installing Edge on a 2016-2019 server.
Again, they don't need to use Apple's store. They don't need to use the middle-man. They are big enough to advertise and get you (the customer) to go directly to them. Where, they can also show you all the other things they can do for you "directly". They don't need to maintain anything on Apple's App Store anymore. They can eliminate that cost, and so will others that can do it themselves. Why wait for Apple's new rules on hosting fee's and such. When they can just provide directly to consumer?
Adobe may have been a better example, given that there are viable alternatives to some of their mobile apps, but even in that case, if I were Adobe, I would host my apps wherever they get the most visibility, as my major goal isn't to sell a $2.99 photo filter - it is to sign more people up to my $70/mo application suite.
Same answer as above. They don't have to be on the store . Big enough to get people to go direct to them.
Only if they are a manufacturer/dev that has little confidence in their app competing in the marketplace.

Yes, I agree.

In a competitive market, Apple is absolutely free to set their terms on that deal. The problem is that, today, that market isn't competitive, so Apple's cut is extortionate.
But, it's the same cut. So because there is no competition on the platform owned by Apple. It's extortion. But, if another store was on the platform it isn't anymore? Why isn't Google Play competition to the AppStore? Just because it's not on Apple's Platform? So my previous example of shopping at Target but paying at the manufactures register. Which would make no sense in the real world. Should that not be the same thing here? I'm on Apple's platform. Just like if I walked into Apple's physical store. I pay Apple for goods and or services in the store. I don't pay Adobe or Microsoft or another manufacture. I pay Apple.
How about you stop with stupid analogies that have absolutely no bearing on what we're talking about. Apple's relative cost to host an app is a fraction of a fraction of the cost of a supermarket's cost in selling milk. Seriously, the fact that you have to come up with such a ridiculous scenario to try to illustrate your argument only serves to prove how ridiculous your argument is in the first place. Just stop.
Apple has to pay for electricity costs just like a supermarket. Got to keep them servers and "milk" cold.
Both have to pay staff to keep the infrastructure working (IT staff for the DC and employees for the grocery store).
How do you know how much it costs Apple to maintain the store? Or a how much it costs a grocery store to maintain itself? Rent, Lease, power, staff, network & hardware cost, etc.?
Sure. Microsoft and Amazon have made a deal to sell Office for a given price, and with a given amount of margin given to Amazon. I can also go to Staples or Costco to buy a 1-year subscription. Or I can do what I'm doing now and pay for it directly to Microsoft.
I have an iPad, and I downloaded an used the Cloud Gaming app Microsoft made. It's a web app, and it is NOT on the Appstore. Can't find it. Only way to get it is via Microsoft website directly.
Again, that's called "competition". Microsoft isn't limited to selling subscriptions through one retailer, and Amazon is not limited to selling Microsoft products.
But neither is required nor would they advertise that it's cheaper someplace else within their store. Microsoft can't state their product or service is cheaper on their own website or another store (physical or virtual).
And as I stated above. A developer can create a WebApp if they don't wish to be on the store paying Apple's extortionist cuts of money.
There is no technical reason why Apple couldn't design the update functionality in iOS to work with third-party stores or software providers. Multiple-source updates has been a thing in the Linux world for longer than iOS has even existed. The loss of this functionality, would be due to Apple choosing not to support that functionality or build it into the OS.
why should they have to build it? should they not have the right to choose whether or not to do something to their products?
Another red herring. Apple already controls access to data within the phone via their API, and they hold the encryption keys. Where an app is hosted has absolutely zero bearing on whether that app can bypass the APIs in iOS.
EPIC's Fortnite game was updated to allow direct payment to EPIC for DLC. So yes, the hosting of the App has no bearing on whether it can bypass the API's in iOS. Which means all 3rd party app stores or side-loading can bypass the restrictions Apple has placed on iOS.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
EU, heh? Didn’t you see the bipartisan storm winding up on the US coast?

Apple will get a finishing move with fatality in the US. It’s just a matter of time till they hear “Get over here…”, get pierced by an arrow in their cold heart and get dragged to court. Antitrust Laws wins, flawless victory…🩸🩸🩸🩸🩸

Yeah, talk is cheap. It needs to happen and not be overturned by the Supreme Court.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.