Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those who participated in the beta, did it run better that the GM?(differences in speed/battery)

• Yes, betas were better.

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • No, same performance, or GM is better.

Votes: 164 75.2%

• Total voters

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Sure, but all that is separate from what I was trying to point out in relation to the whole supposed malicious conspiracy part of it all.
Why was the phone slowed down despite no fault of the user and why was he asked to pay money to get it fixed? Its a simple question.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Yesterday I was testing and i was unable to see more than 1400 MHz although the battery were at 100%, even with the iPhone plugged...

What does it mean? Is my battery so poor quality that even plugged my iPhone works only at 75% speed max????

Do you really think if I change my battery for a new one my iPhone's performance will get better?
1400 sounds about right for iPhone 6.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why was the phone slowed down despite no fault of the user and why was he asked to pay money to get it fixed? Its a simple question.
None of that is related to what I've brought up. Just more deflections.

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
1400 sounds about right for iPhone 6.

You are right. I did a mistake. I usually see 700-800-1027 MHz. And only with phone plugged with original power supply I can see 1400 MHz.

66000 points in antutu with battery at 99% and 75000 points plugged at 94%.

What can we do???? This is shaming.... And I don't want to purchase a new battery. Basically because I have no guarantee of solving the problem....

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
iOS11 is atrocious on my iPhone 6, there are numerous issues.

• Apps continually crashing
  • Navigating between apps - When for example you're in one app and then try to navigate to another, in Instagram and then trying to open Facebook app once in Instagram, it just crashes.
  • When opening Safari, loading the keypad when clicking the toolbar takes ages.
The suggestions being made are to update to the latest OS, reinstall apps, clean install, reset all network settings. All these have been done.

This very much seems like planned obsolesce by Apple in an attempt to buy the latest iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radon87000

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

• Navigating between apps - When for example you're in one app and then try to navigate to another, in Instagram and then trying to open Facebook app once in Instagram, it just crashes.
The suggestions being made are to update to the latest OS, reinstall apps, clean install, reset all network settings. All these have been done.

This very much seems like planned obsolesce by Apple in an attempt to buy the latest iPhone.

Your phone is old. Apple does their best to make the latest versions of iOS run smoothly on older hardware, but there always comes a point when you'll have to accept some performance downgrades in order to remain safe and secure from hackers (staying on the old versions of iOS).

If you really hate how iOS 11 runs on your iPhone, it is time to buy a new iPhone. It's really that simple.

I highly recommend iPhone X to you.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Do you perhaps have a fairly used up battery?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So I have been using my X and the experience is unparalleled. My 7 Plus has some stuttering and a huge battery drain problem which is not on the X. The home button delay is more visible than ever after using the X moreso. This confirms my belief that Apple just doesn’t give a damn about their older phones.

Reactions: JM

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I have been using my X and the experience is unparalleled. My 7 Plus has some stuttering and a huge battery drain problem which is not on the X. The home button delay is more visible than ever after using the X moreso. This confirms my belief that Apple just doesn’t give a damn about their older phones.
Or that there's something off with some people's devices.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Having just been in an apple store I had an opportunity to relook at the 7,7+,8,8+ and X. The 7 plus has no stuttering, lag or home button delay. This confirms my belief apple is optimizing their o/s for prior generation phones.

Reactions: jhall8

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Already got my device checked at the Apple Store. And all the iPhone 7s and 8s in the store had the home button delay.
[doublepost=1513443413][/doublepost]
Apple already said the usage times on my 7 Plus are normal both at the store and at the Dev portal and with 98% wear it didn’t make much sense to buy a new battery. It’s iOS 11 for sure though because iPhone X doesn’t have any issue reaching 10 hours with my usage. On LTE Safari drains 1% after 4-5 minutes on 7 Plus and 9-10 minutes on the X. It’s clearly an optimisation problem which Apple doesn’t give a **** about.

Last edited:

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I think it’s FAR more likely that Apple are intentionally slowing phones down as opposed to say an iPhone 6 slowing down because the processor isn’t up to it.

Maybe it’s ram, maybe not. I’m open to evidence

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I think it’s FAR more likely that Apple are intentionally slowing phones down as opposed to say an iPhone 6 slowing down because the processor isn’t up to it.

It’s obvious it’s intentional. iPhone 6 can’t even track input instantly after the keyboard pops up. Anyone would think there was a Pentium and 256MB ram in there because that’s the PC equivalent of how it performs on iOS 11
[doublepost=1513443803][/doublepost]
Your phone is old. Apple does their best to make the latest versions of iOS run smoothly on older hardware, but there always comes a point when you'll have to accept some performance downgrades in order to remain safe and secure from hackers (staying on the old versions of iOS).

Why is there a trade off between performance and security? If Google can issue security updates for older versions of Android as can Microsoft for Windows, it should be child’s play for a company with resources like Apple. This is nothing but a plan to force upgrades by making the device feel slow.

Last edited:

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016

Something may we’ll be off with some phones but these aren’t equally likely scenarios...

Some responses imply the ‘or’ scenarios are just as likely to happen. I obviously don’t think on the balance of things they are

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Something may we’ll be off with some phones but these aren’t equally likely scenarios...

Some responses imply the ‘or’ scenarios are just as likely to happen. I obviously don’t think on the balance of things they are
Given that there are others who have had better battery life seems like they aren't all that unlikely.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Which by itself doesn't prove a malicious conspiracy. We've all been over this dozens of times before.

By itself it doesn't. Buy why are you wanting to look at the throttling by itself?

In the context of other events (limited battery recall, battery problems for some that had a serial number not in the recall, and the iOS update that fixed the problems in the second group), it looks like Apple is run by accounts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
By itself it doesn't. Buy why are you wanting to look at the throttling by itself?

In the context of other events (limited battery recall, battery problems for some that had a serial number not in the recall, and the iOS update that fixed the problems in the second group), it looks like Apple is run by accounts.
That's what would be called circumstantial evidence. All good for conjectures, but still not something that proves something. Why are people so set on absolutes and that things can only be one way and no other way? There can be evidence and things can be lined up to support a particular theory, but that doesn't necessarily prove it all and removes any other possibilities.

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
I don't understand why there is still a discussion about clock reduction.... Are you blind and don't see the evidences? iPhone 6 plugged gets almost 10k additional points in antutu benchmark vs unplugged iPhone 6.

In addition, the CPU frequency can be seen reduced until 1027 MHz instead of 1400 theorically.

What I would want to know is if Apple has said something regarding this "cpugate"

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Of course they don't. They don't make any money (except paltry "services") on old phones because their income is based mostly on new hardware purchases.

And making an argument that Apple still sells older phones as new doesn't exactly compute to support negation of the theory above because the buyer is paying less than the highest price Apple charges for their phones (translation: X is the best, and so buy that and we will treat you the best in return).
[doublepost=1513529132][/doublepost]
Having just been in an apple store I had an opportunity to relook at the 7,7+,8,8+ and X. The 7 plus has no stuttering, lag or home button delay. This confirms my belief apple is optimizing their o/s for prior generation phones.
Cheeky :) But made me laugh.

The only thing missing from Apple Store visits is the ability to see how the battery life fares.
[doublepost=1513529215][/doublepost]

They did with the 6s, so there's that evidence.
[doublepost=1513529573][/doublepost]
Given that there are others who have had better battery life seems like they aren't all that unlikely.
Better battery life from which iOS version to which iOS version, friend?

If we're arguing better life contained within 11, sure, valid point.

Ios 10 to 11? Not so much better battery life reports.
[doublepost=1513529693][/doublepost]
That's what would be called circumstantial evidence. All good for conjectures, but still not something that proves something. Why are people so set on absolutes and that things can only be one way and no other way? There can be evidence and things can be lined up to support a particular theory, but that doesn't necessarily prove it all and removes any other possibilities.
Yeah, pretty much :D

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I agree. Apple wouldn't want you to buy a brand new iPhone 7 today and have it lagging and moving slow.

However, when the battery wear sets in then iOS does it's job to throttle the cpu and slow it down. After seeing first hand iPhone 6s and 6 being throttled then as soon as the batteries are changed they are no longer throttled, this confirms my belief that Apple is throttling iPhones once the battery wears down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.