Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those who participated in the beta, did it run better that the GM?(differences in speed/battery)

• Yes, betas were better.

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • No, same performance, or GM is better.

Votes: 164 75.2%

• Total voters

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
A big LOSER to the „apple will never ever slow down iphones“ fraction. That must be a heavy punch in the face for them.

The reality is that nobody knows exactly what goes on in any of the operating systems behind the scene.

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
Hi again.
I am very confused. Week by week I feel my iPhone 6 more and more laggy, slow, erratic.... Yes I have too much apps. And the mobile is almost 4 years old, but I haven't seen this performance ever....

The point is that I think I don't still have a wear battery. Lirium app tells it still has a 88% capacity. But I can see with CPUDasher64 my CPU clock is at 839 MHz instead of 1400. My battery is at 92% charge. What is happening?????

The most important for me... Anybody has updated to iOS 11.2.2 and felt some improvements? For example a disable option for this CPU throttle???

Thanks!!!!!!!

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Hi again.
I am very confused. Week by week I feel my iPhone 6 more and more laggy, slow, erratic.... Yes I have too much apps. And the mobile is almost 4 years old, but I haven't seen this performance ever....

The point is that I think I don't still have a wear battery. Lirium app tells it still has a 88% capacity. But I can see with CPUDasher64 my CPU clock is at 839 MHz instead of 1400. My battery is at 92% charge. What is happening?????

The most important for me... Anybody has updated to iOS 11.2.2 and felt some improvements? For example a disable option for this CPU throttle???

Thanks!!!!!!!

CPU speed is variable based on demand. CPUs in computers/devices aren’t always pegged as that makes no sense. If your CPU was always pegged at max your battery life would be an hour or so and the device would hit it’s thermal max and slow down anyhow. Arm chips (in phones) have terrible thermal dissipation capabilities.

That’s why benchmarks that say an arm chip is X speed in a benchmark against an Intel are laughable. Yea, they are X speed for about a minute.

As far as the Apple battery deal based on what you are showing you have a good battery that isn’t end of life, so aggressive power management isn’t in play. Apple has the right engineering solution to this issue just failed to tell people about the feature. They aren’t going to change the feature (they shouldn’t) they are simple going to give folks information about their battery.

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
CPU speed is variable based on demand. CPUs in computers/devices aren’t always pegged as that makes no sense. If your CPU was always pegged at max your battery life would be an hour or so and the device would hit it’s thermal max and slow down anyhow. Arm chips (in phones) have terrible thermal dissipation capabilities.

That’s why benchmarks that say an arm chip is X speed in a benchmark against an Intel are laughable. Yea, they are X speed for about a minute.

As far as the Apple battery deal based on what you are showing you have a good battery that isn’t end of life, so aggressive power management isn’t in play. Apple has the right engineering solution to this issue just failed to tell people about the feature. They aren’t going to change the feature (they shouldn’t) they are simple going to give folks information about their battery.

I understand and already knew that since some years ago, devices manages the clock between some pre-fixed speeds depending on demand.

What I don't agree with, is that it always be on minimum clock speed. The laggy and freeze is incredible. And a benchmark comparing plugged and unplugged is awesome. I know that them cannot be used to compare two different mobiles might not be useful, but comparing the same mobile at different times tells a lot of what I suspects.

Look at the test I did some minutes ago at 40% battery. Comparing with "standard" iPhone 6 is shaming....

b2274c50a8df1b9008a5199ec3641af0.jpg

b78da2e1b3468c227e85ec87be550135.jpg

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I understand and already knew that since some years ago, devices manages the clock between some pre-fixed speeds depending on demand.

What I don't agree with, is that it always be on minimum clock speed. The laggy and freeze is incredible. And a benchmark comparing plugged and unplugged is awesome. I know that them cannot be used to compare two different mobiles might not be useful, but comparing the same mobile at different times tells a lot of what I suspects.

Look at the test I did some minutes ago at 40% battery. Comparing with "standard" iPhone 6 is shaming....

b2274c50a8df1b9008a5199ec3641af0.jpg

b78da2e1b3468c227e85ec87be550135.jpg

First of all. Use coconut battery if you really want to know the correct wear on your battery.

Second, Apple will not change the way they manage battery, if your device is too old and you have a lot of junk on it then any software will get slower. Why don’t you restore the device and try to give it a fresh start? I’m sure the lag you’re complaining about will reduce a lot and it might even improve the overall battery life.

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
First of all. Use coconut battery if you really want to know the correct wear on your battery.

Second, Apple will not change the way they manage battery, if your device is too old and you have a lot of junk on it then any software will get slower. Why don’t you restore the device and try to give it a fresh start? I’m sure the lag you’re complaining about will reduce a lot and it might even improve the overall battery life.

I did three reinstallation from zero thanks to new iOS 11 health backup on iCloud. I did a reboot and shutdown/turn on.

I really don't understand why my iPhone works so bad.... Are 62 apps too much?

Related to coconut I don't have a Mac (only windows desktop). What can I do?

Thanks.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I did three reinstallation from zero thanks to new iOS 11 health backup on iCloud. I did a reboot and shutdown/turn on.

I really don't understand why my iPhone works so bad.... Are 62 apps too much?

Related to coconut I don't have a Mac (only windows desktop). What can I do?

Thanks.

62 apps is nothing. I have way more than that and everything is working fine. Also, the number of apps installed doesn’t really matter much as long as there’s some memory available for the OS to function properly. So that’s definitely not relevant.

Without coconut battery you can’t really test the battery ware properly. The apps don’t show correct data since iOS 10.

Reactions: Hans300

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
It is incredible but very clear...
Yesterday I had to repair my iPhone. And spoke couldn't repair it, so they gave me a new one.

Guess what.... After the restore, I did a test and my score in antutu was the expected again. I also could prove it with my own experience. It seems like a new model. Now it is still useful!!! I recommend all of you affected, to change the battery.

Thanks God the iOS 11.3 will bring a toggle for that horrible throttling or slow down.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
This entire thing to me is hilarious. I used the Electra toolkit and completely removed the throttling parameters from the power management bundle. Guess what happened... battery life if exactly the same, it never randomly shuts down, and the best part is that it's running at full power. Keep in mind, my iPhone 6S is 2 years old and the wear level is at 72%. It's doing exactly what my older iPhone does and doesn't cause any issues.

Reactions: MarvinHC

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This entire thing to me is hilarious. I used the Electra toolkit and completely removed the throttling parameters from the power management bundle. Guess what happened... battery life if exactly the same, it never randomly shuts down, and the best part is that it's running at full power. Keep in mind, my iPhone 6S is 2 years old and the wear level is at 72%. It's doing exactly what my older iPhone does and doesn't cause any issues.

To be clear.

You are saying that throttling a CPU’s frequency has NO effect on its power consumption?

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
To be clear.

You are saying that throttling a CPU’s frequency has NO effect on its power consumption?
In my daily life, doing the same tasks on my phone, there's pretty much no change in the battery's lifecycle that I can see. I will run tests on this soon. What I happened to find was that the CPU was throttling, but somehow killed the battery quicker. I'm just as puzzled by it as it sounds, but if anything, my phone is better in every way now than it was when the throttling parameters were present. The only logical thing I can think of that would cause this, is a flaw in power management. It's almost like the CPU controller is having difficulty keeping the CPU under control. Think about it for a second. The device has to measure the battery percentage, and determine the battery wear levels, then put it into an algorithm to determine how much the CPU needs to throttle at a particular time to maintain balance. The entire thing just seems counterintuitive, because that's more things for the device to process than if it were to run at a fixed speed constantly.
[doublepost=1517743226][/doublepost]Actually, that explains a lot. The BIOS doesn't manage that, iOS does.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
In my daily life, doing the same tasks on my phone, there's pretty much no change in the battery's lifecycle that I can see. I will run tests on this soon. What I happened to find was that the CPU was throttling, but somehow killed the battery quicker. I'm just as puzzled by it as it sounds, but if anything, my phone is better in every way now than it was when the throttling parameters were present. The only logical thing I can think of that would cause this, is a flaw in power management. It's almost like the CPU controller is having difficulty keeping the CPU under control. Think about it for a second. The device has to measure the battery percentage, and determine the battery wear levels, then put it into an algorithm to determine how much the CPU needs to throttle at a particular time to maintain balance. The entire thing just seems counterintuitive, because that's more things for the device to process than if it were to run at a fixed speed constantly.
[doublepost=1517743226][/doublepost]Actually, that explains a lot. The BIOS doesn't manage that, iOS does.

I know the answer to my question, I was just trying to illustrate how silly that sounded.

Power usage scales very nicely with a processors frequency, down to its idle usage of course.

If you don’t notice better battery life by reducing the frequency of the CPU to around half (or the opposite, dont notice worse battery life when increasing frequency) than you aren’t using the CPU to an extent throttling would have a major effect on you. If you aren’t getting power back than you weren’t using it.

Like overclocking, the CPU WILL use more power, however not when it’s idling.

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017

Do you mean you could disable the iOS trick? What is needed? Mac? Jailbreak? I am very interested...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.