Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those who participated in the beta, did it run better that the GM?(differences in speed/battery)

• Yes, betas were better.

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • No, same performance, or GM is better.

Votes: 164 75.2%

• Total voters

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I agree. Apple wouldn't want you to buy a brand new iPhone 7 today and have it lagging and moving slow.

However, when the battery wear sets in then iOS does it's job to throttle the cpu and slow it down. After seeing first hand iPhone 6s and 6 being throttled then as soon as the batteries are changed they are no longer throttled, this confirms my belief that Apple is throttling iPhones once the battery wears down.
The repetition of "this confirms my belief", confirms my belief that it is a new written meme, confirming my belief that it is funny :D
[doublepost=1513531751][/doublepost]
I agree. Apple wouldn't want you to buy a brand new iPhone 7 today and have it lagging and moving slow.

However, when the battery wear sets in then iOS does it's job to throttle the cpu and slow it down. After seeing first hand iPhone 6s and 6 being throttled then as soon as the batteries are changed they are no longer throttled, this confirms my belief that Apple is throttling iPhones once the battery wears down.
Second paragraph, thumbs up. But the first.... Apple has the 8 and X they are focusing on to make perfect, naturally letting the 7 fall the wayside.

I'm sure they WOULD like the 7 to be optimized, but it probably isn't because they probably don't have the resources or motivation to do so.

...and reread and see your point: Someone buying new today the 7 at $550, Apple wouldn't want it laggy or slow or low battery life.

But, again, it's not the newest devices, so they may be comfortable selling a lower priced device with concessions.

Reactions: Blaze4G

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
The repetition of "this confirms my belief", confirms my belief that it is a new written meme, confirming my belief that it is funny :D
[doublepost=1513531751][/doublepost]
Second paragraph, thumbs up. But the first.... Apple has the 8 and X they are focusing on to make perfect, naturally letting the 7 fall the wayside.

I'm sure they WOULD like the 7 to be optimized, but it probably isn't because they probably don't have the resources or motivation to do so.

...and reread and see your point: Someone buying new today the 7 at $550, Apple wouldn't want it laggy or slow or low battery life.

But, again, it's not the newest devices, so they may be comfortable selling a lower priced device with concessions.
I always say iDevices perform the best when they are on their original iOS version. There is that extra bit of love clearly visible in the software which is not there on the newer ones. The iPhone X I have performs very well on iOS 11 but that’s because it’s Apple’s darling at the moment. Not saying there aren’t some bugs and issues but likely Apple will fix them on time

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I don’t think any device that isn’t more than 2 years old (typical carrier plan window) can be counted as ‘old’.

If one buys a phone that is, by my definition, old, I think Apple take that as a sign that one is eligible for an update/could be paying more, and that’s when I think any dodgy tactics would be implemented. That’d be my game plan if I were playing that game

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I always say iDevices perform the best when they are on their original iOS version. There is that extra bit of love clearly visible in the software which is not there on the newer ones. The iPhone X I have performs very well on iOS 11 but that’s because it’s Apple’s darling at the moment. Not saying there aren’t some bugs and issues but likely Apple will fix them on time
iOS 11 is performing well on my idevices. On the 5s, IMO, iOS 11.2.5 imo is better than iOS 10. Can’t say for the 6 for it is gone. But my family covers 6s, 6s+, 7, 7+ And X. And, All of them are going to iOS 12.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
More evidence of planned obsolescence executed on iphone 7

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/18/iphone-battery-performance-issues/

Today, Geekbench founder, John Poole, published an article describing his findings after diving deeper into the relationship between iPhone performance and battery age.

As can be seen in the results above, Poole notes that the issues become pronounced moving from 10.2.0 to 10.2.1 to 11.2.0.

When it came to the iPhone 7, the issue didn’t appear to be present, until the test with iOS 11.2.
Poole believes that Apple added a software adjustment for iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, similar to what it did to correct the iPhone 6s shutdown issues with 10.2.1. He goes on to share Apple may have created a misleading “third state” of slower iPhone performance without any notification that could convince users to upgrade their devices earlier than planned.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
It's pretty sad that a hardware issue on the iPhone 6S is causing all iOS devices to suffer. I feel really bad for iPhone 5S users right now.

Hans300

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2017
The battery issue sounds like an excuse to slow down the devices.

What we need is a battery health indicator and cheaper battery change service.

JohnnyW2001

Suspended
Nov 6, 2012
GUYS! I'M SO SICK OF THESE LIES! APPLE WOULD NEVER DELIBERATELY SLOW DOWN ANYONE'S DEVICES.

This so called "evidence" proves NOTHING. Keep dreaming Apple haters!

Reactions: JM

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Hans300

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2017
I have always said when a new major iOS release is SLOWER then just dont release it.

Work and optimize harder or bring just security patches.

Of course i know they could do better and its just part of the planned obsolescence program.

Apple lost the focus.
Now they are going to holiday despite there would be so much work to do.

Reactions: JohnnyW2001

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
What worry me is that changing the battery for a new one does not solve the problem. Is there a way to test it and refund the money if problem persist?

I understand security and life battery, but it should be optional and at least notified.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
What if an older worn battery on a pre-down clock feature iOS version doesn’t result in shut downs?

Is apple’s logic then 100% bs?

Reactions: macfacts

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Really a shame. I can sort of understand the logic but it should have been made apparent to users and a toggle or something provided. Plus if we want to pay for a replacement battery we should be allowed to get one.

Hans300

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2017
What if an older worn battery on a pre-down clock feature iOS version doesn’t result in shut downs?

Is apple’s logic then 100% bs?

Exactly what i am thinking.

Why should the problem only occur with iOS 11 when with iOS 10 it was no problem? Then get iOS 11 desaster fixed!

And IF there is a problem why slow down ALL phones instead of giving a message to the customers to replace the battery.

They got caught at planned obsolescence, the whole forum was talking about it in the last weeks.

Seems like iPhone 8 sales were to bad. Naming it "8" instead of "7s" was complete bs already.

JohnnyW2001

Suspended
Nov 6, 2012
/sarcasm off

I'm glad someone has finally proven what a lot of us have known for years. I'm so sick of Apple fans being blind to how the company has degraded since iOS 7 was released. Talk about Emperor's New Clothes. Everyone could see it, but we'd be hit by the fanboys (sponsored by Apple??) claiming that there's no slow down. Sigh.

Apple's mantra used to be "It just works", and it did. We sacrificed customisability for a perfectly formed product that empowered those who owned it. Apple sweated the hard stuff so you could just enjoy the experience... and they focussed their efforts on the EXPERIENCE. (Not just adding new features, like they do now.)

Microsoft used to think that giving customers choice was what they wanted. That's why you had 15 different versions of Windows. OSX was OSX. You didn't need to worry about buying the wrong version, It Just Worked.

My Apple experience has degraded. Despite them having complete control over the hardware and software, the experience has become buggier, laggier, jerkier... and now much slower. All the while Apple is spending resources giving me new features that I don't care about, want or need.

I chose Apple because they gave me a high quality product, so I could focus on other aspects of my life. I came from Android, where you're swamped with choice, from handsets to software. I had to micromanage my storage because apps couldn't be installed on my SD card. I was forever moving things around to make room. It was a waste of my time and, way ahead of every other phone manufacturer, Apple solved that problem for their users. I got an iPhone and It Just Worked.

Whatever their reasoning, whether it be well intentioned or not, there is nothing good about deliberately ruining my iPhone experience. Jobs may have been a monster to work with, but he strove to achieve the highest possible standards, and I don't believe his would have let something Apple branded be degraded on purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM and Wildkraut

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
And the sun sets on another exciting thread in the blessed land of Macrumors. With satisfied hearts, the weary warriors trudge proudly towards the setting sun in search of rest.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
A big LOSER to the „apple will never ever slow down iphones“ fraction. That must be a heavy punch in the face for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.