Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
And most don’t, saying it twice in a row doesn’t make it more true. And no, covid is not just a respiratory virus like a common cold. It’s a multi-organ disease which can cause harm in many ways. It even affects the CNS, which (probably) causes loss of taste and smell in lots cases.

Don’t get me wrong, Covid won’t cause a Zombie apocalypse, but playing it down like you and lots of people here do doesn’t help either. Millions of people already died because of it, more than half of the world isn’t vaccinated. And right now we have no idea in which direction new variants will tend to.
I can only speak for our demographics here in the US, but our baseline metabolic health is so poor, the hundreds of thousands of lives lost were overwhelmingly elderly and metabolically sick. These same demographics are high risk with influenza. And I also agree, SARS-CoV2 causes more than respiratory illness, but what has killed people and landed most in the ICU is lung failure, not neurological or otherwise causes, although those do contribute significantly to the morbidity of the disease.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
However, the Apple Studio Display firmware engineers have elected to wear their masks until they figure out how to fix their problem-plagued displays.
clown-mask-with-hair.jpg

cane811

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
No such thing as tax-free. What are the consequences of your lower tax rate?
I get to participate in my employer sponsored health plan. I make choices regarding my employment with these benefits in mind. I get to save more of my money, invest more of my money, pay less taxes, and have access to the world’s leading healthcare while paying a nominal fee.

It’s not a perfect system. People will fail. But almost no one can say they weren’t given an opportunity to succeed.

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
Free healthcare in the UK means that we haven’t thought about Covid for a very long time. UK gave 21 free at home tests per month to each person 1.5 years before the US gave 2 for everyone. I think the last restrictions here was lifted over a year ago. Sad to see the richest state in history in the richest country in history is still dealing with this…all over a lie that free healthcare will completely backup the healthcare system. We in Europe are not as brilliant as you all in the states and have figured it out. Is it perfect? No, but what you’re going through is in deep need of change.
Covid still is a big problem.
Society just stopped caring about 100-500 covid deaths a day.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Why are we told to cover our mouths and turn away before sneezing? And don’t say it’s only to prevent us from spraying others with snot.
People who are sick need to wear a mask to avoid getting others sick. But because of people who don’t care about others, some people who are not sick choose to wear a mask and keep their distance, etc.
I don’t need to read a RCT to prove it. I’ve been seeing it happen with people I know. Only this past week, 7 got sick, and they all live in different places, so it’s not a case of a group of people that got infected together.
There’s a lot of people who are still contagious wondering at stores and other places, but because they did their 5 day quarantine, don’t bother to wear a mask, and are getting others infected.

Edit: add two more to the list, and I was with them the day before they showed symptoms. But i didn’t get sick. Could it be because I was wearing a mask?
Most of that is theatre, though droplet spread in someone actively showing symptoms may have a marginal effect. But mask mandates include people who don’t show any symptoms. There’s no evidence they do any good, or that wearing a mask protects the individual.

So you admit all your “evidence” is anecdotal. I’ve been “exposed“ to people who have come down with symptoms and haven’t gotten sick either.

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Free healthcare in the UK means that we haven’t thought about Covid for a very long time. UK gave 21 free at home tests per month to each person 1.5 years before the US gave 2 for everyone. I think the last restrictions here was lifted over a year ago. Sad to see the richest state in history in the richest country in history is still dealing with this…all over a lie that free healthcare will completely backup the healthcare system. We in Europe are not as brilliant as you all in the states and have figured it out. Is it perfect? No, but what you’re going through is in deep need of change.

It's nonsense to say that no one is thinking about COVID. First of all, the word "COVID" is plastered all over the UK local news. Second, the people who are thinking most about COVID these days (in UK or anywhere else) are typically the elderly and immunocompromised, including cancer patients. The reason is that the vaccines do not necessarily protect them - it's not simply an issue of having better healthcare coverage.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I get to participate in my employer sponsored health plan. I make choices regarding my employment with these benefits in mind. I get to save more of my money, invest more of my money, pay less taxes, and have access to the world’s leading healthcare while paying a nominal fee.

It’s not a perfect system. People will fail. But almost no one can say they weren’t given an opportunity to succeed.
Yeah that sounds almost alright for a select few, until your employer decides you’re redundant or the market shifts and suddenly employers don’t need to offer medical to attract and retain top talent. And then meanwhile all the folks who can’t access affordable health care are, aside from suffering, creating strain on the economy, tearing apart families, destroying bright futures, adding to the homeless population, the negative impacts on your cherry life go on and on but hey: lower taxes feel pretty sweet when you look at your pay stub, so totally worth the collateral damage.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This is the way to go. The virus isn't going anywhere and we can't be expected to wear these things forever.

Stay home if you're sick. Wear a mask if you absolutely must go out when sick. That's it.

Mandates drive a wedge between us in an already far too divided society. And I say this as a fully vaccinated, very liberal person.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
That's not true. Wearing a mask does not protect against an infected colleague. The mask protects others around you if you are sick.
My comment did not make a judgment on the efficacy of mask use. Only that it should be up to each individual to do whatever they feel is best to maintain their health, and allow others to do the same.

In the US, the need to work no matter one's state of health, is a problem for a multitude of reasons. But if you have a sick individual in the office or at your workplace, it is technically the responsibility of management to dismiss them for the day, or until they get better. But this is veering off-topic.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Most of that is theatre, though droplet spread in someone actively showing symptoms may have a marginal effect. But mask mandates include people who don’t show any symptoms. There’s no evidence they do any good, or that wearing a mask protects the individual.

So you admit all your “evidence” is anecdotal. I’ve been “exposed“ to people who have come down with symptoms and haven’t gotten sick either.
They did show symptoms of Covid, got tested and came out Positive.
Well, you believe what you want to believe. I've seen people who thought like you until they were gasping for air in a hospital bed. But if you don't wear a mask, stay away from me.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Unfortunately, communicable diseases don’t quite work that way.
Don't want to catch the cold your coworker has? Do what you can to avoid catching it. That's on you.

But ask yourself, why is your coworker at work while sick? Why aren't they taking sick leave? That's where you should be directing your energy: at the regulations in place that allow a sick worker to be on the job, rather than being told to stay home until they get better.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Covid is not just a respiratory virus. And there’s actually no hint that it would mutate into a more mild variant, why would it anyway? That’s all wishful thinking.
Covid is in fact just a respiratory virus. It was, however, novel at the time. It is quite certain with all the immunity in the population, now just a respiratory virus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.