Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Unions are there to try and protect the employee. The company is there to milk the employee for everything their worth. The world is bonkers. Apple makes billions yet is acting so selfishly.
Alternative phrasing:
Unions are there to try and milk the company for all they are worth. The company is there to try and protect the owners/investors. The world is bonkers. Employees get paid what they agreed and then demand more and act so selfishly.

Both are wrong. There are not good guys and bad guys there are competing interests. There are all selfish and all are trying to do things they think will ultimately promote their interests.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
The "benefits" offered here to non-union employees are peanuts. It's a straw dog to try and isolate stores that want to unionize.

The bigger the union, the stronger the bargaining power. Or Apple closes all retail stores outside of flagship downtown locations (which are insanely profitable).

The end game will have no in-between.
This. Crap low-ball tactic by Apple to slow any potential union growth. Sad.

Mike Reed

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Columbus, OH
I don’t understand the details of how unions work so this may be an ignorant question but is it possible that they technically can’t change negotiated benefits without renegotiating with the union even if the changes are positive? Like if I owned a company with unionized workers and I wanted to give all employees a 10% raise I couldn’t because I’d technically be non-compliant with the contract.

That‘s not commentary on the usefulness of unions either way though - it’s not like thats a common direction changes usually take. I’m just wondering if that’s the actual reason and management is just spinning it a bit to capitalize on the situation. Like - not so much ‘evil company’, more ‘jerk company that will take the opportunity to rub it in’.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I don’t understand the details of how unions work so this may be an ignorant question but is it possible that they technically can’t change negotiated benefits without renegotiating with the union even if the changes are positive? Like if I owned a company with unionized workers and I wanted to give all employees a 10% raise I couldn’t because I’d technically be non-compliant with the contract.

That‘s not commentary on the usefulness of unions either way though - it’s not like thats a common direction changes usually take. I’m just wondering if that’s the actual reason and management is just spinning it a bit to capitalize on the situation. Like - not so much ‘evil company’, more ‘jerk company that will take the opportunity to rub it in’.

Yes, you could do it.

In most collective agreements, the underlying principle is equality and equal opportunity among members. Each agreement is different but things like overtime opportunity and vacation scheduling are expected to be distributed equally and fairly.

If you gave every unionized employee a 10% increase, you wouldn't get pushback from the union. In fact, that's how increases in collective agreements are agreed upon. Every employee gets a General Wage Increase of some %. But if you selectively gave some groups, then there would be trouble.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I mean, that's kind of the deal, isn't it? If you sign up for collective bargaining, any changes to your compensation have to be negotiated though collective bargaining. You don't get to just pick and choose when the union gets involved, it's all or nothing.
Unionized Apple store employees be like, "Why can't collective bargaining be like a toggle on iOS that we can just toggle on and off whenever we like?" 🤣

toggle.png

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Just imagine if we lived in a world where we didn't need the concept of unions. If companies don't want to deal with unions then perhaps they should help push better employment laws and regulation that would eradicate the concept of a union.

Unions exist for a reason. To fill a gap where laws and policy makers have failed people. Sometimes people just like to have a voice and as it stands most feel like they don't have a voice when it comes to work.

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
The sense of entitlement is overwhelming. These employees wanted a union to negotiate for them. Now that the union has failed to negotiate what they consider to be fair, they want the rules regarding negotiation to change. Ford and GM non-unionized employees receive different benefits from those negotiated on behalf of their UAW members. It's been that way for decades, and it is perfectly legal. What if Apple decided to cut benefits for all of its non-unionized employees? How long do you think it would take for those represented by the union to scream bloody murder if their benefits were cut beyond those negotiated in the latest contract?

IamTimCook

Suspended
Dec 13, 2016
Ball Player: All monetary exchanges legally have to go through my agent.

Small business looking for quick advert: Hey Ball Player I'll give you $5,000 if you post this photo on your IG account.

Ball Player: I repeat. ALLLLLLL monetary business exchanges legally have to go through my agent.

Small Business: YOU EVIL DIRTBAG!

You literally can't offer any benefits to a unionized employee without it going through the Union first.

Last edited:
Reactions: citysnaps

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Lmfao. This is hysterical. You wanted the union and now you get to deal with the concequences of your foolishness. Unions are worthless bureaucracy cabals that syphon money from their suckers, er "members" and provide little or nothing in return.

This is what you clowns wanted. Apple warned you what would happen. Don't come pissing & moaning because you got everything you asked for.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Lmfao. This is hysterical. You wanted the union and now you get to deal with the concequences of your foolishness. Unioins are worthless bureaucracy cabals that syphon money from their suckers, er "members" and provide little or nothing in return.

This is what you clowns wanted. Apple warned you what would happen. Don't come pissing & moaning because you got everything you asked for.
A perfect example of what I was talking about. These are tried and true union busting techniques.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Seems like most people in this thread have jumped in with a predetermined narrative. As @CapitalIdea posted earlier, this story is a nothingburger.

Employees formed a union. Apple announced new benefit for non-union employees. Apple will begin negotiations with union employees soon. That's how it's supposed to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.