Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Labor board has no power over what Apple benefits are offered to union employees! These employees are brain dead.

Reactions: strongy

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
If you're against a group of people consolidating their power in the form of a union then you should also be against people consolidating their power in the form of a corporation.

If not then you're just being hypocritical, and I question why.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
How do you think those labor laws got on the books in the first place? Because labor activists advocated for them on behalf of workers. Many if not most of these activists were also pro-union/belonged to unions. If there's no pressure to keep those laws up to date, their protections will be repealed or weakened as time goes by. Unions are an important part of keeping up such pressure.
You’re right, but as with many things, the unions have outlived their usefulness. In fact, they often morph into something sinister because wherever there’s an opportunity for a power grab, someone is sure to exploit it. There’s a reason why the mob took control of the unions.

The only people I see fighting for “rights” in the US are people who view themselves as victims or well-to-do suburbanites who virtue signal because it eases their conscience.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You’re right, but as with many things, the unions have outlived their usefulness. In fact, they often morph into something sinister because wherever there’s an opportunity for a power grab, someone is sure to exploit it. There’s a reason why the mob took control of the unions.

The only people I see fighting for “rights” in the US are people who view themselves as victims or well-to-do suburbanites who virtue signal because it eases their conscience.
There are always people who claim victimhood when they really aren't, and people who are just there to virtue-signal. But if you think that's all there is, maybe you aren't looking hard enough or you're looking in the wrong places.

And yes, power grabs happen everywhere, but why accuse only unions of doing it? Corporations do it all the time, too. Maybe not by mob tactics, but certainly by other means. I'm not saying it's ok for unions to collude with the mob, but it's not like all unions inevitably end up under mob control.

People keep claiming unions are outdated, but if not unions, who ends up fighting for and protecting worker's rights? The government? Individual workers standing up for their own rights? Some kind of workers lobbying group -- oh wait a minute, isn't that called a union?

Reactions: DeepWebinar

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Apple tells prospective employees that getting a job at an Apple store is harder than getting accepted to Stanford University.

If their standards are so incredibly high the pay and benefits should reflect that exclusive status.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
They aren't though. Any moron could walk in and do it on 2 hours of training.
Sure, whatever you say.

Do you know the process and standards to get hired? From what I last heard you go through at least 4 interviews.

There's more to what Apple is looking for than just product knowledge.

Reactions: DeepWebinar

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...]

People keep claiming unions are outdated, but if not unions, who ends up fighting for and protecting worker's rights?
The government.
The government?
Yes. State, Federal and Local labor laws are there to protect workers from abuse.
Individual workers standing up for their own rights? Some kind of workers lobbying group -- oh wait a minute, isn't that called a union?
Can't have it both ways. Either in a union and subject to union rules or not in a union and work for your employer.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple tells prospective employees that getting a job at an Apple store is harder than getting accepted to Stanford University.
Citation please.
If their standards are so incredibly high the pay and benefits should reflect that exclusive status.
However, the pay for retail is high and the benefits are very good.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The government.

Yes. State, Federal and Local labor laws are there to protect workers from abuse.
Can the government always be trusted to enforce these laws, or not to change them to favor corporations, when so many politicians take corporate contributions?

No, I think workers need to remain organized to protect themselves.

Can't have it both ways. Either in a union and subject to union rules or not in a union and work for your employer.
Not sure why it has to be either/or. Workers do work for their employers, and unions exist to make sure that workers are not unfairly exploited while they do that work. Sure, there would be less friction if there were no unions, but that would mean corporations mostly get to do whatever they want, and workers just get to take it or leave it.

DeepWebinar

Suspended
Aug 9, 2020
Citation please.
If you worked there, you would know this is true. They say it constantly.

Apple pays their retail employees fair wages for the job they do. However, it's nice of you to give Apple's money away.
They don’t. The hourly rate is good for retail, but they hire employees at part time and don’t allow consistent schedules to let employees get second jobs. Full time positions are rarely opened and they pit many employees against each other for the openings. They cut hours dramatically during some months/weeks, then schedule people for 40 hours others. It doesn’t add up to a livable wage in the long run and they block their employees from being able to work two jobs. Their expectations are high for employees, but low for themselves. There could be a much more fair arrangement struck that wouldn’t affect them that much. People just want to pay their bills dude, it’s wild to want to reject them some stability in their work.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
There are always people who claim victimhood when they really aren't, and people who are just there to virtue-signal. But if you think that's all there is, maybe you aren't looking hard enough or you're looking in the wrong places.

And yes, power grabs happen everywhere, but why accuse only unions of doing it? Corporations do it all the time, too. Maybe not by mob tactics, but certainly by other means. I'm not saying it's ok for unions to collude with the mob, but it's not like all unions inevitably end up under mob control.

People keep claiming unions are outdated, but if not unions, who ends up fighting for and protecting worker's rights? The government? Individual workers standing up for their own rights? Some kind of workers lobbying group -- oh wait a minute, isn't that called a union?
That’s my point… There is no need to seek gov’t or union help to create a better life for oneself. Laws are in place to protect the basic rights of workers. What exactly are these people fighting for that they can’t get elsewhere? Better pay? Better benefits? Better work/life balance? People are free to seek opportunities elsewhere. Judging by the millions of people who quit their jobs over the past year, it looks like many have done just that.

And if they don’t like any of the options they see, people are welcome to start their own business and pay their employees 6 figure salaries, provide free healthcare, and 6 week vacations for stocking shelves and talking to customers.

This bourgeoisie vs proletariat Marxist view of the world is not only outmoded, but very dangerous. It’s great for certain politicians that engage in identity politics, but it never leads to anything good.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you worked there, you would know this is true. They say it constantly.
So anecdotal. Got it.
They don’t. The hourly rate is good for retail, but they hire employees at part time and don’t allow consistent schedules to let employees get second jobs. Full time positions are rarely opened and they pit many employees against each other for the openings. They cut hours dramatically during some months/weeks, then schedule people for 40 hours others. It doesn’t add up to a livable wage in the long run and they block their employees from being able to work two jobs. Their expectations are high for employees, but low for themselves. There could be a much more fair arrangement struck that wouldn’t affect them that much. People just want to pay their bills dude, it’s wild to want to reject them some stability in their work.
I got this is your take on it, but corroboration to show it is true would be helpful. However, you can't blame Apple for scheduling people knowing when staffing is needed or not. But Apple still pays a fair wage for retail.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Can the government always be trusted to enforce these laws, or not to change them to favor corporations, when so many politicians take corporate contributions?
Yes. Workers will never be abused again. 13 years cannot work in dangerous conditions.
No, I think workers need to remain organized to protect themselves.
So let them organize. There is a downside to organizing. More power to them.
Not sure why it has to be either/or.
Isn't that the way collective bargaining works?
Workers do work for their employers, and unions exist to make sure that workers are not unfairly exploited while they do that work.
Workers cannot be exploited with fair labor laws in place. If you want to unionize more power to you. You get what you get when you unionize.
Sure, there would be less friction if there were no unions, but that would mean corporations mostly get to do whatever they want, and workers just get to take it or leave it.
Yep and now workers get whatever they can through collective bargaining and what comes with that.

DeepWebinar

Suspended
Aug 9, 2020
So anecdotal. Got it.
Lol great recovery for something you have no response to.

I got this is your take on it, but corroboration to show it is true would be helpful. However, you can't blame Apple for scheduling people knowing when staffing is needed or not. But Apple still pays a fair wage for retail.
You’re wrong, and you know you’re wrong, so you jump to “prove it” mode. Classic tactic. Truly not worth anyone’s time engaging, you’re sold on this bizarre take and there’s no moving the needle. Take care.

• Haha
Reactions: strongy and I7guy

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes. Workers will never be abused again. 13 years cannot work in dangerous conditions.
And people kept saying Roe vs Wade is the law of the land, it'll never be repealed, and yet here we are.

I hope you never have to experience a law you depend on being suddenly repealed or stuck down. Or have a law that's supposed to protect you but it's not adequately enforced. Me, I've had too many such experiences to trust that laws never change.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lol great recovery for something you have no response to.

You’re wrong, and you know you’re wrong, so you jump to “prove it” mode. Classic tactic. Truly not worth anyone’s time engaging, you’re sold on this bizarre take and there’s no moving the needle. Take care.
Sorry, nothing you say can be corroborated. I get it's your hearsay on the matter of management telling employees it's harder to get a job here than to get admitted to Harvard, no problem with that being an opinion. Or for that matter the opinion that management schedules employees to make it as difficult as they can in getting a second job.

DeepWebinar

Suspended
Aug 9, 2020
Sorry, nothing you say can be corroborated. I get it's your hearsay on the matter of management telling employees it's harder to get a job here than to get admitted to Harvard, no problem with that being an opinion. Or for that matter the opinion that management schedules employees to make it as difficult as they can in getting a second job.
Lol ok 👍

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And people kept saying Roe vs Wade is the law of the land, it'll never be repealed, and yet here we are.
Who said that? It was the law of the land and now it changed. It's not the first time SCOTUS went back on and revisited one of their own rulings. But if you are suggesting there is any way a 13 year old will be allowed to do dangerous work, and/or a treasure trove of things that society would have some serious moral implications with, you are mistaken.
I hope you never have to experience a law you depend on being suddenly repealed or stuck down. Or have a law that's supposed to protect you but it's not adequately enforced. Me, I've had too many such experiences to trust that laws never change.
I don't know how this relates to unions, as the comments are so general in nature it could be anything. However, the discussion is about Apple, unless one considers customers dangerous, Apple I would guess doesn't have dangerous working conditions in the stores. But you pick the battle you want to fight in life. Fight for a career and the sky is the limit or fight for a union where your career is limited.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Apple more selective than Harvard:

Apple had irregular scheduling practices employees complained about:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Who said that? It was the law of the land and now it changed. It's not the first time SCOTUS went back on and revisited one of their own rulings. But if you are suggesting there is any way a 13 year old will be allowed to do dangerous work, and/or a treasure trove of things that society would have some serious moral implications with, you are mistaken.

Yes, it was the law of the land, and now it's changed. So what makes you so sure that the current law that says 13 year olds can't do dangerous work will never change? What's different about one law than the other?

I don't know how this relates to unions, as the comments are so general in nature it could be anything. However, the discussion is about Apple, unless one considers customers dangerous, Apple I would guess doesn't have dangerous working conditions in the stores. But you pick the battle you want to fight in life. Fight for a career and the sky is the limit or fight for a union where your career is limited.
You keep saying unions are no longer needed, because laws protect workers. I'm saying those laws can change, if we don't protect them. And you are the one who brought up dangerous working conditions. I have no idea why you think fighting for a union limits your career. That sounds like a corporate talking point to discourage people from joining unions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.