Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple employees are reportedly petitioning against the company's plan to require workers to return to in-person work at the office three days a week starting next month.

apple-park-at-night-1.jpg

Earlier this month, Apple informed corporate employees that they must return to the office for three days a week starting early next month. The current plan will require staff to come to the office on Tuesday, Thursday, and a third day of the week that will vary by team.

According to a new report from the Financial Times, a growing number of employees at Apple are reportedly unhappy with the new plan, instead advocating for "location flexible work." The report cites a petition formed by the group "Apple Together" that's making its way around Apple and gaining signatures. Apple has been eager to get employees back to in-person work for some time. Apple's CEO, Tim Cook, has defended Apple's eagerness to return to the office to protect the "in-person collaboration that is so essential to our culture."
Apple Together counters that a "uniform mandate from senior leadership" fails to respect the "many compelling reasons" why some employees are "happier and more productive" working outside of traditional office arrangements.

The group is demanding that Apple allows employees to work with their "immediate manager" to decide their working arrangements, and that they should not be subject to "high-level approvals" and "complex procedures" or have to provide private information.
The petition says that Apple "should encourage, not prohibit, flexible work" where employees can "feel comfortable to 'think different' together." Apple's current plan to have employees working in-person at the office three days a week starts on September 5.

Article Link: Apple Employees Reportedly Petitioning Against Plan to Return to Office 3x Per Week

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
A fairly complex situation overall, not just for Apple but for most of the companies in the Valley. On one hand, it is clear that the general trend of WFH is not going away and most companies (especially in tech) can probably accommodate that to some extent. The question is, what to do with the office spaces, how to handle areas where access needs to be controlled and monitor, i.e. engineering, product design and so on. Also, what about the housing market? I don't think many of the people working in the Valley would actually live in the Valley unless they've had to under the current circumstances.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
WFH is the new work benefit and it’s absolutely free for the company to provide. Hunch tells me that Apple just wants to get usage out of the new spaceship more than anything else.
To be fair though, who wouldn’t? I mean the place is virtually a mini city - has countless shops, leisure centres, it’s own forest and parks, there’s more places to sit with a drink than a Parisian backstreet.

WFH is the new work benefit and it’s absolutely free for the company to provide. Hunch tells me that Apple just wants to get usage out of the new spaceship more than anything else.
If Apple really wants the usage out of the new spaceship. They are welcome to turn the Apple Campus into a assembly factory plant. Might as well call it, "Designed in Cupertino, California", "Made in Cupertino, California".

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
To be fair though, who wouldn’t? I mean the place is virtually a mini city - has countless shops, leisure centres, it’s own forest and parks, there’s more places to sit with a drink than a Parisian backstreet.
If i lived close by, I'd go 7 times a week. Problem is, when it's an hour and a half drive, working from home is a better option. Or provide housing to avoid the commute. With gas prices, it's actually very expensive to work on-site.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
If Apple really wants the usage out of the new spaceship. They are welcome to turn the Apple Campus into a assembly factory plant. Might as well call it, "Designed in Cupertino, California", "Made in Cupertino, California".
That wouldn’t be good for the stock price. B-school 101 says outsource manufacturing. Even if it moves back to the US, it would be done by a contract manufacturer, not by Apple directly.

Reactions: ericwn

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
If i lived close by, I'd go 7 times a week. Problem is, when it's an hour and a half drive, working from home is a better option. Or provide housing to avoid the commute. With gas prices, it's actually very expensive to work on-site.
Great points. But didn’t these issues exist before the virus pandemic? That’s why I feel the employees need to be specific about why don’t wish to return to work. That way Apple can at least try and support them.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
The real issue here is that people moved out during the pandemic. Their wages went up 5%. Now if they want to move back, rent and house prices are up 30%. They could barely make ends meet before. Now it just won’t work. They’ll quit before coming back to work. Of course this is hard for Apple management to grasp when they are selling stock and pocketing millions of dollars.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I know this seems weirdly controversial now - and ive no idea why...

But this strikes me as utterly entitled and ridiculous behaviour.

Firstly..... 3 times a week? is that all?? more than generous of apple.
Secondly.... like it or not there are some roles where collaboration is needed, and not in zoom meetings and the like - theres no substitute to face to face interaction. I wonder out loud how much better iOS 15 could have been and iOS16 too.... (though I accept that might just be nonsense)

Thirdly, and HERES THE MAIN ONE...... Each and every employee went to a job interview..... and accepted the job based on where they lived, the commute, the office they were working in... etc etc. Just because its nicer and cheaper not to commute does not mean they now have the right to demand a change in their working conditions... THEY took the job on knowing full well what it entailed..... Covid was a temporary and unprecedented problem and its time to get back to normal like it or not.

The easy answer is if you dont like you job or working conditions (and only 3 days a week in the office which is much better than you had when you took the job on) then simply resign. Stop wasting time and energy with petitions etc - your employer is well within their rights to mandate working arrangements like this and if your office job requires you to be in the office then get in there or move aside and give one of the many thousands out there who would love your job the opportunity to do it and work from that amazing Apple Park location (id love to work there!).

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020

Secondly.... like it or not there are some roles where collaboration is needed, and not in zoom meetings and the like - theres no substitute to face to face interaction. I wonder out loud how much better iOS 15 could have been and iOS16 too.... (though I accept that might just be nonsense)

Thirdly, and HERES THE MAIN ONE...... Each and every employee went to a job interview..... and accepted the job based on where they lived, the commute, the office they were working in... etc etc. Just because its nicer and cheaper not to commute does not mean they now have the right to demand a change in their working conditions... THEY took the job on knowing full well what it entailed..... Covid was a temporary and unprecedented problem and its time to get back to normal like it or not.

The easy answer is if you dont like you job or working conditions (and only 3 days a week in the office which is much better than you had when you took the job on) then simply resign. Stop wasting time and energy with petitions etc - your employer is well within their rights to mandate working arrangements like this and if your office job requires you to be in the office then get in there or move aside and give one of the many thousands out there who would love your job the opportunity to do it and work from that amazing Apple Park location (id love to work there!).
I think people complain because covid just showed that it's actually possible to work from home, so now since everything is organized for that, they think they might as well remain working from home.

Voyageur

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2019
Moscow, Russia
What I would like to know is, is this an issue with health and safety or and an issue with working conditions? The two are obviously very different and I feel need to be tackled differently. The petition doesn’t appear to drill into any specific details.
Rather, there is a banal laziness to spend time on the road and unwillingness to part with home comforts, the opportunity to be near your animals, children, and so on.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Explains why Apple haven’t produced any new products for a couple of years
Product development cycles are much longer than two years. We wouldn’t see the true effects (not that there will be many) until next year at the earliest.
I think people complain because covid just showed that it's actually possible to work from home, so now since everything is organized for that, they think they might as well remain working from home.
Yup. My team has had no issue working from home. There hasn’t been any problem designing that we couldn’t do remotely. Sure, maybe somethings could have been more efficient, but that’s the extent of it. Get more hours out of our team (lack of commute and ease to work at any hours) and they are happier. Seems like a win win for most companies.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York

Did Apple notice all those employees' change of addresses amid the pandemic? If so, what did they say about it? I don't suppose they encouraged those employees to relocate elsewhere..

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
Great points. But didn’t these issues exist before the virus pandemic? That’s why I feel the employees need to be specific about why don’t wish to return to work. That way Apple can at least try and support them.

I don't work at Apple, but I think every employer to some degree faces this discussion at the moment.

Before the pandemic hit we'd all just taken for granted that we need to commute and go to an office 4 or 5 days per week. Then we were all forced to live an alternative and overall it just worked. I spend significantly less time and money on public transport. For me that works out to two additional hours I can spend on something I actually enjoy.

Our productivity did not go down over the pandemic, but that's not to say that there aren't things that work better in person. Ideally you want the flexibility to go in when needed, and work from home when you don't. Instead it often seems the push back to work is driven by a desire to not waste the corporate lease.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.