Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
They are working, what makes you think they aren’t?
Some people who aren’t productive at home can’t fathom that others might be. When they say “people slack off when they work from home” they’re really saying “I slack off when I work from home”.

Personally, I prefer being in an office with other people, but I can totally understand that there are people who don’t work as well in that environment.

Craigwilliam

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Auckland
It seems to me that sooner or later if Apple wants their employees back on campus they are going to have to provide incentives to lure them back into the office rather than make what they assume are reasonable decrees to force them back into the office. They want the best people and if they want the best people to stay that's what you've got to do because I'm sure there is someone else out there in Silicon Valley who would more than willing to let them work from home in order to sign them up for whatever project they are working on.

palmerc

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
A fairly complex situation overall, not just for Apple but for most of the companies in the Valley. On one hand, it is clear that the general trend of WFH is not going away and most companies (especially in tech) can probably accommodate that to some extent. The question is, what to do with the office spaces, how to handle areas where access needs to be controlled and monitor, i.e. engineering, product design and so on. Also, what about the housing market? I don't think many of the people working in the Valley would actually live in the Valley unless they've had to under the current circumstances.
I have such mixed feelings about that last statement. The valley is what it is because it is a geographically special place
it is generally quite beautiful, there are really cool tech things happening all of the time, great universities, but it has the downside of housing prices. Part of this is the obsession with single-family homes in America, but specifically in a geographically restrictive place like the Bay Area. The Bay Area desperately needs companies like Apple to put together a non-profit building society that designs, builds and redevelops neighbourhoods that combine quality of life with multi-family construction. I personally think a several day a week policy would be a no-brainer if businesses concerned themselves with the surrounding communities and employees could, for example, bike, run, bus (not commute to another city) to work.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Some people who aren’t productive at home can’t fathom that others might be. When they say “people slack off when they work from home” they’re really saying “I slack off when I work from home”.

Personally, I prefer being in an office with other people, but I can totally understand that there are people who don’t work as well in that environment.
Definitely agree.
There is I suspect a whole lot of self projection in those comments.

Some people work better surrounded by noise and people.

Others thrive in a comfortable environment, not surrounded by watercooler/coffee machine gossip.

I don't understand why people can't quite get to grips with that idea. One size does not fit all.

The only problem is. They do their job in 80% of the time. Do nothing the rest.
Is the job done?
If yes, then what is the problem?

Quality of life is important.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
WFH is the new work benefit and it’s absolutely free for the company to provide. Hunch tells me that Apple just wants to get usage out of the new spaceship more than anything else.

Well of course they do. They spent millions on their campus and they don't want it sitting empty.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
There are people who would kill for the opportunity to work at Apple. These people just deciding they no longer want to travel to work any more should maybe look elsewhere for a job and let people who want to actually go to work take their job.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016

Then why did they even get that job in the first place?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Hi Tim,

If you are reading this, I will gladly take the spot of any of these employees who are earning $600k+ per year and don't want to work in the office 3 x week.

But since I am such a nice guy, I will settle for 500k per year. This offer only last for 24 hours.

Kind Regards,

You future employee who works 3 x week in the office.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Then why did they even get that job in the first place?
Because working from home wasn’t a widely available option before, and now it is? Or maybe they were remote from the start (I assume Apple must have hired at least some people during the peak of the pandemic).

Do you think the details of a job can’t change after you start it? Because I assure you they can.

No one is asking to have their workload reduced as far as I’ve seen. The work still gets done, it just gets done from a slightly different desk.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
There are people who would kill for the opportunity to work at Apple. These people just deciding they no longer want to travel to work any more should maybe look elsewhere for a job and let people who want to actually go to work take their job.

Indeed.

If any of these FAANG companies offer me one of those $600k+ jobs, I'd work 5 x per week in the office without question.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Hi Tim,

If you are reading this, I will gladly take the spot of any of these employees who are earning $600k+ per year and don't want to work in the office 3 x week.

But since I am such a nice guy, I will settle for 500k per year. This offer only last for 24 hours.

Kind Regards,

You future employee who works 3 x week in the office.
Why not actually apply for the job? If you’re skilled and willing to work in the office, surely you’d at least be considered. And if not, there seem to be plenty of opportunities out there for seat fillers (although you may take a hit on the pay).

Last edited:

Useless Touchbar

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2020
A lot of termination letters should be going out right about now.
(Ex-) Apple tech employees are extremely well placed in the labour market. They'll get plenty good offers from other companies that aren't located in overpriced crime and junkie infested Bay Area. Apple has zero leverage over these people.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Why not actually apply for the job? If you’re skilled and willing to work in the office, surely you’d at least be considered.

I changed to a different company recently so I cannot change again now. But next year I will apply for FAANG companies. I also probably need to practise those coding interviews a bit more as they are quite brutal what I heard, no matter what your level is.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Heheh sucks to have invested in a huge glass house when the rest of world is just changing to Home Office.
Apple is doing everything wrong lately... 🤣

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
I don't work at Apple, but I think every employer to some degree faces this discussion at the moment.

Before the pandemic hit we'd all just taken for granted that we need to commute and go to an office 4 or 5 days per week. Then we were all forced to live an alternative and overall it just worked. I spend significantly less time and money on public transport. For me that works out to two additional hours I can spend on something I actually enjoy.

Our productivity did not go down over the pandemic, but that's not to say that there aren't things that work better in person. Ideally you want the flexibility to go in when needed, and work from home when you don't. Instead it often seems the push back to work is driven by a desire to not waste the corporate lease.
True there are pros and cons.
Pro, working on a computer you could actually be more productive from home, plus you can multitask, pick up the kids from school etc. So as a human you could be more productive, while saving money and time on transport, housing and, from employer's perspective, office space.
But what about all the time you "waste" at the office? Chatting to colleagues, walking down long corridors, sharing a table at lunch, confiding with the person next to you in a boring meeting, or just having a laugh. Those moments build loyalty to the brand and generate ideas, trust and lasting friendships. Co-workers become godparents or friends you go on holiday with in 20 years' time. That is a real sticky ecosystem that people don't want to leave.
But what if you're antisocial and never had or wanted those bonds? It was just a paid gig. Then you're probably the right person to be fired come the next recession, because your employer might as well be outsourcing your work to a third party.

Loismustdie1

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2015
The company makes the rules. Don’t like them? Go work elsewhere otherwise get to the office like they told you.
See the thing about that though is if you’re highly specialized in your field, and your skill is in top demand, the logic doesn’t 100% apply. If Apple wants to maintain their top talent, they are going to have to concede on this issue. They’ve already lost Ian Goodfellow, and that was a significant blow. But yes do go off 🙄

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.