Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
If i lived close by, I'd go 7 times a week. Problem is, when it's an hour and a half drive, working from home is a better option. Or provide housing to avoid the commute. With gas prices, it's actually very expensive to work on-site.
They also get Paid more than most do it the expense is negotiated in the salary and bonus structure. This is not an amusement park it’s a job. They compensate “employees” to do what is in their job description. If at any point the employee doesn’t want to do what is in the description they have every right to put in their two weeks notice and scadaddle. I believe Apple is being generous with only 3 days. Guess what, the rank and file inl
I think people complain because covid just showed that it's actually possible to work from home, so now since everything is organized for that, they think they might as well remain working from home.
They think it’s possible but it is not practical or useful. The service I have received over the last 2 and a half years had been horrible across the board. I have never been so frustrated by nearly every phone or chat interaction. Everything takes forever because no one is ever available.

Positions where they always answered you calls and e-mails take days to respond. When someone needs to check with someone else on the team, they can never get them without needing to call back usually the next day or longer. This is because these people are working from home and are nowhere near as productive. I don’t care what anyone claims. They are not being more productive at home. They’re just not.

This is across multiple industries and companies of all sizes. Including several multinationals that I work with in various capacities. Apple, recognizes the work from home concept is unsustainable for their business and will lead to failure as it will for many.

The companies that nips this foolishness in the bud will thrive while the others flounder. If they keep it up, robots with sophisticated creative AI will be replacing them.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Always support the employees. They are the people who suffer to make the corporation and managers on high rich. They are you and they are me.

If the employees don’t like it, they have the right to petition. If Apple doesn’t like it, they have the right to say no. The employee has the right to seek work elsewhere. I doubt we’ll see much in the way of change until these traditional companies can no longer compete with remote operations. That day is coming.

I made the choice to work remotely a few months before the pandemic started by seeking employment elsewhere. There was nothing about my job that necessitated working in-person (I manage websites and do development and design work) and my employer wouldn’t accommodate me so I left. Now I work four days per week remotely and have three days off. You guys have no idea what you’re missing out on. I have more personal time than ever. I can roll out of bed and start working within 5 minutes. If I’m running late from work, I can just go eat dinner with my family, spend time with my kids, and pop back on later if I need to finish up something.

The volume of work that I do remotely is easily 3x my in-office job. There is absolutely no way I could focus this well in-person. Gone are the pointless meetings where anything of substance is rarely accomplished. Gone are the coworkers stopping by my office door to chit-chat about crap I don’t care to hear about. Gone are all the background noises and birthday parties and long expensive lunch breaks eating at restaurants with fellow employees. Gone are the phone calls and long-winded email threads when I can just hop on Slack for two minutes to hash an issue out via text or do a quick screen share.

Everything I need to do is in a task management system. Everything I need others to do is in the same system. I can track it all in real-time to see exactly where in the process we are for any project and make notes and attach screenshots and provide feedback for those under me to review and they are all notified instantly.

Doing business the old fashioned way is cute and quaint but this is how you really get crap done in 2022. Of course it depends on the specific job at hand but my advice to Apple is to stay nimble and flexible where you can or you’ll fall behind. Maybe not this year or next year but suddenly you’ll find yourself wondering what went wrong. The future waits for no one.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Flexible working with core days or compressed hours is are all valid options for companies to use. There is also the liability and tracking of work that has to be looked at, are the staff working when at home, how far do you go to track and enforce this. Are staff ok at home, questions arise regarding health and welfare etc. Having core office days helps manage these aspects.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
I'm sure there will be just as much bugs WFH 🤣🤣
Obviously working from home is not getting Apple leadership the results they want. And it cannot. This is the world’s most valuable company. I think the policy is dictated downward in companies. If people don’t want to work there given the company policies, they should resign effective immediately.

Working is a privilege not a right. I believe too many people are twisted in that thinking. If working from home worked so well, Apple would definitely keep that arrangement. It hasn’t worked. The whole nature of business is to work in teams.

I would say if Apple could benefit from hiring these people as private contractors and terminate employment agreements, that would benefit Apple as they no longer would be required to carry health care, give 401K/stock, and pay employer’s portion of taxes.

So these people should want to go to the office or perhaps just lose all their benefits. But they’re all free to go work anywhere else they want to. And if that results in 65% of employees walking out, maybe Apple changes direction or more likely they just hire employees who will abide by corporate rules.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Agree with Thailand too.
Wfh can work in some circumstances, certainly in areas with low staff turnover and not front facing with customers.
But eventually it won’t. The idea of graduates for example starting off that way is a recipe for disaster.
This is exactly it.

People have been given a taste of working from home... a situation that was always supposed to be very temporary, and now they are revolting against returning to the jobs that they originally signed up for...

But, the nonsense of this is that all new employees will not be given that option im sure... how can they? who is on hand to show them the ropes... how do they learn the job if the office is a ghost town?
For sure newbies will be mandated full time in the office and those who insist they keep their cushy "working from home" will eventually be forced back in line or will leave of their own accord.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Our productivity did not go down over the pandemic, but that's not to say that there aren't things that work better in person. Ideally you want the flexibility to go in when needed, and work from home when you don't. Instead it often seems the push back to work is driven by a desire to not waste the corporate lease.
This is certainly one of the reasons.

Many people commenting on here may be surprised how the real world outside their basement has changed.
In the UK many new jobs are based on remote working.

You agree with your manager on the split of days in and away from the office.
Hell, my husband works for a FTSE 100 and they allow — hold on to your hats — 10 weeks working away from the home country! You can go live in another country and still do work. And no, this is not holiday…

There is a new way of doing things.
Apple people of all folks I would have thought to be more open minded.

Whatever happened to Think Different?
Remember that one?

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Employers should not force people to socially interacte with others just because that is how is has always been (9 to 5 with a commute to work, all together in one building.

'in-person collaboration' as Tim Cook puts it is not a solid justification for forcing people back into the work place. If the nature of an employees work is WFH compitable or even desirable then the employee should be allowed to continue to work from home. The pandemic has proven with many jobs that having to commute to work on a daily basis is outdated in todays modern tech world. Just because commuting to work is something that has 'always been' does not mean it has to continue like that.

For decades employees in certain jobs have known their job can be done from home but when asked if this can be done bosses have always been against it quoting outdated arguments as it why it cannot be done. The pandemic has proved those bosses wrong and now employees are fighting back saying 'if i can do 100% of my job from home and this has been proven due to the pandemic, why do I now have to do this job from an office building when there is no real justification to do so?

Personally I think the real reason is as others have mentioned, employers still have to pay for the building, the rent, the utility bills, insurance, security and thus they want the building to be utilized by the employees, rather than left empty racking up bills for the employer.

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
Obviously working from home is not getting Apple leadership the results they want. And it cannot. This is the world’s most valuable company. I think the policy is dictated downward in companies. If people don’t want to work there given the company policies, they should resign effective immediately.

Working is a privilege not a right. I believe too many people are twisted in that thinking. If working from home worked so well, Apple would definitely keep that arrangement. It hasn’t worked. The whole nature of business is to work in teams.

I would say if Apple could benefit from hiring these people as private contractors and terminate employment agreements, that would benefit Apple as they no longer would be required to carry health care, give 401K/stock, and pay employer’s portion of taxes.

So these people should want to go to the office or perhaps just lose all their benefits. But they’re all free to go work anywhere else they want to. And if that results in 65% of employees walking out, maybe Apple changes direction or more likely they just hire employees who will abide by corporate rules.
Welcome to the world where the Wall Street mindset is not working as they had planned (to enslave the populace) and their money doesn’t matter. People are tired of being abused at work and having smoke blown up their asses everyday with nothing but false promises. Its so funny when the pandemic first struck at what class of worker and who they worked for all of a sudden became “essential“ and they were occasionally tossed an extra crumb from the corporate profit sheet… the Wall Street clique and cult suddenly was exposed and the true colors of those who practice in it were shown to be what they truly are… they think everyone but them are ignorant and are put on this planet to be exploited just like other resources they exploit and manipulate around this globe. IMHO - the quoted statement in this message just reinforces what i just wrote… working is a “privilege“ not a “right” - while that i may agree with, you will notice what else got lumped into that… a working persons Healthcare, their retirement, and of course, we can’t leave out the token amount of taxes to the overlord pays to our local and federal entities we have, all put in place to fulfill their own demands. I hope Apple makes an example for once and decides to shutter the office space they have given to the vampire squids and allowed to share just down the hall from CEO Tim… or maybe its time he just join them - he’s earned his place anywhere he wants to go in that exclusive club of, self presumption elites. - Let Apple return to the creative class of brain power… you know, the ones who actually design and make the things that provide value to the company. I think the 35% of the company that walked back to Wall Street because those demands are too high for them, nor their money would be missed. To use the old Wall Street analogy, Apple could refocus and restructure and come out the other side of this transition back to its roots and bigger value to its share holders… and poised to take the company to new heights! Corporate Rules? /Corporate Rules??? Go try to make money for a company selling those!

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
I know this seems weirdly controversial now - and ive no idea why...

But this strikes me as utterly entitled and ridiculous behaviour.

Firstly..... 3 times a week? is that all?? more than generous of apple.
Secondly.... like it or not there are some roles where collaboration is needed, and not in zoom meetings and the like - theres no substitute to face to face interaction. I wonder out loud how much better iOS 15 could have been and iOS16 too.... (though I accept that might just be nonsense)

Thirdly, and HERES THE MAIN ONE...... Each and every employee went to a job interview..... and accepted the job based on where they lived, the commute, the office they were working in... etc etc. Just because its nicer and cheaper not to commute does not mean they now have the right to demand a change in their working conditions... THEY took the job on knowing full well what it entailed..... Covid was a temporary and unprecedented problem and its time to get back to normal like it or not.

The easy answer is if you dont like you job or working conditions (and only 3 days a week in the office which is much better than you had when you took the job on) then simply resign. Stop wasting time and energy with petitions etc - your employer is well within their rights to mandate working arrangements like this and if your office job requires you to be in the office then get in there or move aside and give one of the many thousands out there who would love your job the opportunity to do it and work from that amazing Apple Park location (id love to work there!).
Yep. I work for a “tech company” and they keep pandering to these people. It drives me crazy.

Maybe I’m old fashioned (I’m only 30) but I enjoy the office days, I’d enjoy them a lot more if more people turned up (they’re not compulsory). Talking face to face really helps think of ideas and brainstorm plus it’s all around just more fun.

Yes. I get less work done. But as someone who is home alone otherwise WFH gets super boring and seeing colleagues makes me enjoy my work more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.