Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This AVSForum post claims that Apple will be entering the high-end projector market.

Apple will be announcing a new FP. He said the launch is part of their 20th anniversary and they are launching a new product line and will get aggressive entering the market.
He saw a demonstration of this projector and said it was one of the best hes seen, he was really blown away. He would not go into detail on what technology they were using. He sells a lot of 3 chips so he knows what a good picture looks like.

Mason

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
I'm confused. By projectors do you mean like DLP televisions or am I completely missing it?

AlanAudio

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2004
UK
In the Forum referred to, there was a lot of speculation about what sort of non-standard connector Apple might use.

My money would be on them using no connector at all - except as a fall-back option.

AirPort would be such a cool way to connect to a device like that and all modern Macs are able to use AirPort. It's widely used on the Dark side too, so you instantly get cross-platform opearation.

It would be so much better to just turn up and wirelessly log into the projector rather than to have to mess with leads, extensions and adapters.

Projectors are often located some distance from the person doing the presentation, so wireless offers significant safety and convenience advantages.

Having said that, I have my doubts about whether a video projector is really the right sort of product for Apple. They would have to come up with something amazing in order to differentiate it from the many others that are available.

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Get the thing to be completely integrated with Keynote.. might be interesting to see what a company that makes presentation software do with device made specifically for presentations...

though I doubt if this would ever see the light of day.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by lind0834
though I doubt if this would ever see the light of day.
Yeah, I also hope that Apple wouldn't lose it's focus and devote too much of it's energy to this market. While sales of expensive projectors have picked up quite a bit, it's quite a competitive market. You can make a decent markup on the units, but you only sell one to an entire workgroup, rather than one for every user.

Better to focus their energy on their current product line and where they are severely lacking (still shipping G4's!), or else add a high end display that can sell to multiple users within a workgroup. (Wasn't there a rumor of a 30" LCD floating around?)

Only way this would make sense to Apple is if one of the main projector companies approached Apple about rebranding an existing model - maybe Apple could give design advice for the "box" it comes in, and spec out the connectors for Macs, but merely serve as the "distibutor" and not get into inventory or manufacturing issues. (Hey, sort of like HP and the iPod ...:rolleyes: )

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
though certainly viable field to go into, i question if apple would really devote time and engery to projectors. it would seem that it would be more profitable to further work on the ipod line, which is where they make considerable profit.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
If this is true, how much do you want to bet that Steve's been demoing it for the past year? If they did get into this market, it would be nice if they came out with a consumer model, too.

Squire

Vroem

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Originally posted by AlanAudio
AirPort would be such a cool way to connect to a device like that
If this would be possible it would exist. But it's impossible: the bandwith and speed needed by a monitor or projector is a magnitude larger than Airport or even gigabit ethernet (not to mention the latencies.)

McMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Warsaw, Poland
It's not that bad

First of all: doesn't HP make projectors? I think they do, so maybe it's part of an exchange for the iPod! I just hope it won't be just a change of the case color... white instead of blue :(

And now the dream-part:
If you have a projector with a quite high resolution you can use it as your prime display. Apple makes bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so no problem with wires!
Of course a projector would also be your TV/home cinema, so you need a stylish case so it can fit in your living room... That leads me to the 20th Anniversary Mac 2 - 'There's one small thing more: The NEW Apple Cube G5 with integrated Superdrive, TV card, multichannel soundcard and a bluetooth vr!'
Says who? Says SJ!

That's just a thought... Or maybe wishfull thinking :p

However I would love SJ for something like this! As a conterpart to Gates' house the iHouse, by Apple

:D

But as we all know Apple won't make something for our living-rooms because 'you work on your mac only a few inches away but you watch TV from far'.

;)

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
You know, saying Apple should not get into digital projectors (or any other digital lifestyle products) is silly. They spend money on R&D and any company worth its' salt will pursue all areas that may bring them profits. The market is fairly new in the consumer field and it would be great if Apple has developed something unique and different then what's out there at the moment. Indeed they have an obligation to their shareholders to bring out new and better products if they can. The fact right now is that the PC market is slowing way down. Double digit growth has become single digit. You can't stand still. Apple will not survive with a limited amount of products. They have enough resources to work on many things. Of course this whole matter may not be true, but time will tell.

desdomg

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
What if it isn't just limited to presentations? What if it will also interface with your TV/satellite tuner as well as your Mac?

A hight quality projector for the rest of us? Would be a lot better than an entire wall LCD ....

Here is a quote from one of the members of that forum:

"If this proves true I can't help but see this as a stimulus to the industry at at large. Not many know about front projection home theater, but most people know about Apple. Apple introduced a lot of people to MP3 players and downloadable music, because the gadget freaks bought 'em first and everyone else saw them and said "that's cool, I gotta get me one o' dem." Maybe they can do the same for home theater. If they do it will benefit all of us with a larger, more competitive market."

ogminlo

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2003
DV is about the highest bitrate you could push over WiFi unless you are running 802.11g and you are close-up enough to get maximum bandwidth. But DV might be all they're looking for. I'm just thinking that DV blown up on a nice projector would really accentuate the lossiness of the codec.

This may be an extension of Apple's relationship with Samsung. Apple could have a first-rights thing with some killer new projection technology. This isn't out of the question.

I'm just puzzled as to how this fits in with the rest of their products... The projector market can't be as widespread as the digital music player market... Can it? Or would this product make it wide like the iPod did?

And what will they call it??

Interesting...

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
eMac, iMac & iProjector

The forum that started this rumour seems full of people who think "Macs are too expensive" but at least one person had the common sense to point out that the Apple Displays are very cheap compared to competing products.

Now, what if this projector is integrated with its own computer? I am thinking an iMac of projectors but one that we could plug into other computers and AV peripherals like DVD players and consoles. Surelly the guts of an eMac would not add too much to the cost of building a projector.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
i doubt the way to increase your allready dismal selling consumer line is to add a projector to imac, if anything it would kill the line. think of what those projectors cost plus a computer. no a better idea is a consumer tower with the g5 in it half the size of a protower. how many people would want a projector imac and afford it? i wouldnt want one.

hughdogg

macrumors member
Originally posted by ogminlo

I'm just puzzled as to how this fits in with the rest of their products...

Could have some real potential in the Education marketplace if it is priced correctly. Especally Higher Ed, lots of classrooms are being fitted with this sort of technology, lots of potential for bundling this projector with iBooks, etc...

Just a thought, cheers,
hughdogg

penguin

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2003
Simple Analogy

I think I see where this is going.

When Apple addressed digital music they built the Music Store and the best AND coolest device to play MP3s on.

So in the future when Apple addresses downloadable movies we will have the Apple Movie Store and the iProjector to display your movies the way movies were intended to be viewed. BIG.
Front projectors will soon be THE coolest way to watch your movie. I think many a geek (including me) use cheap <$800 LCD projectors for movie night. Even though you need a dark room and the picture isn't as perfect as a TV, size matters and watching a big movie is so fun in itself. Try it.

rtype

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2003
dallas, nation of texas
DLP front projectors look better than anything else on the market for video as far as I'm converned and easily go up to 120". This strikes me as a good thing if you're interested in video and accuracy. People are so eager to pay $3k for a 30" LCD and I wonder if they've even considered a projector. (I have a projector--can you tell?)

I doubt Apple would go with HP despite their existing relationship. When Apple gets something OEM from someone else, they usually go with the best. HP is clearly not the best. Infocus and Marantz would be the two to consider.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Originally posted by rtype
People are so eager to pay $3k for a 30" LCD and I wonder if they've even considered a projector.

But the LCD can not only be used for videos, but also for serious work :)... so if you spend money, might as well spend it on something that has more than one use. (Unless you need to do a lot of presentations.)

Centurion

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2004
OK. Here’s the scoop…it really isn’t a DV stand-alone projector, but rather a revision of the G4 Cube, with a built-in projector. It’s a combination projector and computer! This is the 20th Anniversary device. It also has a 1.6 GHZ G5 processor. Wait till Saturday, you’ll see.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I doubt it, Apple needs a real consumer product hit. another expensive cube with a expensive projector isnt going to help them. a plasma tv or even a large crt is still way better then a projector. apple has to focus on the consumer line and what the consumer wants. projector isnt on many lists that i have seen.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
i doubt the way to increase your allready dismal selling consumer line is to add a projector to imac, if anything it would kill the line. think of what those projectors cost plus a computer. no a better idea is a consumer tower with the g5 in it half the size of a protower. how many people would want a projector imac and afford it? i wouldnt want one.

A projector fits into the Notebook ecology. Especially for businessmen who carry a projector along with their Notebook. If you are an Exec on the road a lot and giving presentations regularly, than it would be a perfect fit. An Apple Notebook, Keynote and thin and light hi res projector. It would make the perfect executive kit. If you include iLife to allow you to make sophisticated presentations with iPhoto and iMovie effects it really makes for an awesome combination. Apple is all about creating ecologies of products.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
that me be a valid point but i still think apple has to get back to the masses and the current consumer line doesnt have people in line to buy. consumers out number those pros' 10000-1 yet apple is going after that 1 instead of those 100000.

desdomg

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Reading on the forum that started this rumor it appears projectors are massively overpriced - could Apple come in with the xserve of DPs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.