Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I’m surprised you are so blind to the fascist propaganda techniques used by the leftist media. The fostering of a victim mentality in their base. Blaming problems on an out group of the majority. The rampant globalism. It’s so obvious, to ignore it is to be deliberately obtuse.
Ahhhh… I forgot about the use of false equivalency. Thank you for pointing that one out.
You should just stop. You really are looking ridiculous...

"Conservative media propaganda" via a very liberal Matt Taibbi...

yeah, I’m not the one who looks ridiculous.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Only time will tell those executives and employees that got a HUGE 30 days severance and parting bonus will make better use of it.
I was speaking to the shareholders rather than the employees and executives. The severances came out of Musk's pocket separate from the deal (since he's the owner now).
Just to update you Musk has repeatedly stated this is NOT a profit venture for him. It's for you, me and everyone else - even those on the other political side of the fence or debate fence. The idea is to have a fence: allow separation for those that wish it, a screen to filter our those that wish it, and a way to peep over and still hear what's happening, again for those that wish it.
Musk says a lot of things, most of which are momentary impulses that don't mean or amount to much. Like his impulse to buy Twitter, which he tried to cancel but caught himself in an air-tight deal and was forced to move forward with it.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
His account and he is welcome to quit as he sees fit.
Elon is welcome to reinstate or allow most anything.

I think the entire world could do with less Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook (and related clones). Just don't pretend you are some virtuous saint for deleting a social media account when you were just fine with bots and, well, genuinely unsavory human beings on the platform before. If someone lists their 'age of attraction' as 4-6, they are worse than Trump, and not by a small margin.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
It's wrong to leave a platform or forum just because you dislike other users on it, just like disengaging from politics is counterproductive. This is very knee-jerk at a time when Trump's popularity outlook is becoming shaky and I think Musk knows that. The kind of broad, enduring support Trump needs is hard to find out there.

My social views could be seen as very leftist and I am also aligned with a lot of the economic right. But one thing I hate is virtue signalling. Just live your views without announcements or stunts, Phil, as a professional, and come back to the forum. You're at the service of Apple.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
It's wrong to leave a platform or forum just because you dislike other users on it, just like disengaging from politics is counterproductive. This is very knee-jerk at a time when Trump's popularity outlook is becoming shaky and I think Musk knows that. The kind of broad, enduring support Trump needs is hard to find out there.

My social views could be seen as very leftist and I am also aligned with a lot of the economic right. But one thing I hate is virtue signalling. Just live your views without announcements or stunts, Phil, as a professional, and come back to the forum. You're at the service of Apple.
Not entirely sure what you're talking about here...

Apple as a company has an official Twitter account, anything that Apple needs to communicate can be done via that platform.

Schiller's personal Twitter account is just that, personal. As an individual, he can choose to use or leave any social media platform at any time of his choosing.

He didn't announce his departure, he just left the platform. Not his business if people choose to make it news.

Better question for most of you is why it bothers you what social media an individual you don't personally know chooses to use.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
lol did you complain when it was done on twitter through shadow bans? of course you didn't. :D

You'll have to explain. No idea what you're talking about. As I said, I barely use the site as it is and I definitely don't follow the drama there.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
wow…. Just wow.

There is a pretty interesting movie starring Peter Fonda Brian Dennehy and James Woods. Give it a go.

Idiocracy - come on! Who wouldn’t want President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Camacho as their Leader!?!?
James Woods is a complete moron and an a hole. Why would I watch some trash he put out?

President Camacho would be infinitely better than the current crop of garbage we get to choose from.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Twitter is not a necessary utility
Sadly this is no longer the case. Many businesses, NGOs, governmental institutions and representatives are now reached almost solely on social media, and that's how they quite often interact with the public. So I'm stuck with Twitter and Facebook for my job, and it just means I need to carefully curate the accounts I follow and I block as needed so I'm not drowning in trolls, misinformation, bots, racists, haters and insurrectionists.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Trump lost by more than 7 million votes. He had but 46.8% of the vote to Biden's 51.3%. Biden had 306 electoral votes and trump had 232.

The United States elections are 50 individual contests, not a singular total…he lost by 43,000 votes across 3 states. Hence the issues with the ballots not being rejected at traditional yearly rates, of states allowing ballots after their own election law’s cutoff dates…

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
The United States elections are 50 individual contests, not a singular total…he lost by 43,000 votes across 3 states. Hence the issues with the ballots not being rejected at traditional yearly rates, of states allowing ballots after their own election law’s cutoff dates…
7 million votes was the popular vote difference. 306 electoral votes to 232. Biden won. Cold hard facts.

You can try to pretend whatever it is you're pretending, but you're the only one who's listening.

justabrake

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010

Apple's Phil Schiller, responsible for Apple events and the App Store, has deactivated his Twitter account following recent developments on the platform.

phill-leaves-twitter-2.jpg

Schiller often used his account to promote new Apple products, services, software, and initiatives and interact with customers. As noted on Twitter by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, however, Schiller's account no longer exists. The account had over 200,000 followers and was created in November 2008 according to a web archive of the account dated November 4.

Yesterday, Twitter CEO Elon Musk announced that former President Trump's account would be reinstated on the platform following its suspension in January 2021. In a recent interview, Apple's CEO Tim Cook commented about the future of Twitter and the social media platform's relationship with Apple. During the interview, Cook said he remained hopeful Twitter would uphold its moderation standard under the new leadership.

Article Link: Apple Executive Phil Schiller Deactivates Twitter Account

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
So the leftist Phil doesn't like free speech no surprise
Can I assume that you don't like free speech because you are choosing to post here, a moderated space (more heavily moderated than Twitter ever was)?

Everyone chooses the spaces they are in because of the subject matter and the other people in that space.

I'm taking a break from Twitter because I was spending too much time on it, and most of the posts on my timeline were about Twitter itself instead of the subjects I follow on Twitter. 99% of the accounts I follow aren't directly related to politics, but politics inevitably creeps in, and I have a hard time ignoring it. Just blocking people I'm not interested in doesn't help because they still drive much of the conversation. I took a year long break from Twitter during the previous management as well.

I am being a little hypocritical by being on this thread, but this thread will eventually end, and it doesn't lead me on endless rabbit holes.

Maybe Musk can come up with some better tools for curating my experience. Let me automatically ignore/block people with crypto in their profile, based on keywords I choose. Let be turn off the trending section, which is nothing but trouble. (I block it with custom CSS when I am able)

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
7 million votes was the popular vote difference. 306 electoral votes to 232. Biden won. Cold hard facts.

You can try to pretend whatever it is you're pretending, but you're the only one who's listening.

I’m not pretending anything. The margin to flip 3 battleground states and entirely change the electoral college outcome was only 43,000 votes. The popular vote is entirely meaningless…

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Well, if you can’t see the parallels to the nazis before they came to power in the Republican Party of today, then I can’t help you. It’s obvious to anyone who looks at it for half a second. We are on that path. If we aren’t careful, we will end up with fascists taking over.
This post is so Crispin Glover!

I hate politics but some of the diatribes I’ve read on this thread blow my mind. There are some incredibly angry people out there. Some entitled to be and some not so much. It’s quite unfortunate that people are so invested in a bunch of crooks and liars.

Twitter is as Twitter will always be. A cesspool. Doesn’t matter who owns it. Nothing much will ultimately change.

And once again many are jumping to conclusions about why PS had jumped off Twitter. We can speculate, but ultimately in the end, we will never really know. I will say that I hope everybody follows his lead and jumps off. Less is more…

JapanApple

Suspended
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
This post is so Crispin Glover!

I hate politics but some of the diatribes I’ve read on this thread blow my mind. There are some incredibly angry people out there. Some entitled to be and some not so much. It’s quite unfortunate that people are so invested in a bunch of crooks and liars.

Twitter is as Twitter will always be. A cesspool. Doesn’t matter who owns it. Nothing much will ultimately change.

And once again many are jumping to conclusions about why PS had jumped off Twitter. We can speculate, but ultimately in the end, we will never really know. I will say that I hope everybody follows his lead and jumps off. Less is more…
not to be rude, but the obsession with Twitter is strange., junky and worthless post people do........Isn't that what tick-tock "yuck" is these days?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
James Woods is a complete moron and an a hole. Why would I watch some trash he put out?

President Camacho would be infinitely better than the current crop of garbage we get to choose from.
Then I imagine there is almost nothing you can watch out of Hollywood. That is kind of the problem with the joint. Tip of the iceberg.

As for Comacho - stranger things have happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.