Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
My apologies, most of the edits were done on safari on the mobile version of the site. It’s a nightmare with quotes. I did not intend to change the message of the quote. We are in agreement and I have changed my stance and edited a strike through the comment.
It'll be easier to accept an apology when you use the edit button to fix the quotes...

As far as Iceland, the data shows - out of all cases on that chart, a majority of those were vaccinated.
What does that piece of information mean to you. Why is it relevant to this discussion? Why not point out that of all the cases on that chart the majority were in Iceland?

Reactions: hop

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
What does that piece of information mean to you. Why is it relevant to this discussion? Why not point out that of all the cases on that chart the majority were in Iceland?
You brought up the article. It simply states that a majority of Covid cases were vaccinated individuals.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.

Attachments

• 87D218C2-4976-4115-A093-1DDA8FCF6524.jpeg
    87D218C2-4976-4115-A093-1DDA8FCF6524.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 2AA0F0AC-06BB-46CA-AA97-5C13AB4ADAFB.jpeg
    2AA0F0AC-06BB-46CA-AA97-5C13AB4ADAFB.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 78

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
Eventually, Apple will be forcing the employees for the vaccines to get mandated. Why waste time not mandating it now when Food and Drug Administration officially approved it.

Why is this all wishy-washy?
Probably because like most companies, they can be sued for enforcing before the government. Imagine someone dying from being vaccinated and your employer mandating it. And, yes, this is already happening. People are dying from vaccine. I get, numbers are considering low from a percentage. But, if your family is one them, you might think differently. Which means lawsuits.

By the way, tons and I mean tons of drugs are approved by the FDA and manny of those companies have been sued. FDA doesn't mean it's 100% safe. Funny that people don't know this.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
No, I'm sorry, who brought up the Iceland article? Also, fix the misattributed quote immediately before the one with the period.
You did, you surgically pulled it from my original post. And neglected everything else in it. Now your resorting to bullying the speaker than just providing data to combat my original statement (which you ignored) and other supporting evidence (which you ignored)

71020F9A-2DA3-42AD-A8F8-E5ACE4A8E8D1.jpeg

51DBFBAE-A3B8-4AA1-9A7F-DFE383F8AAE7.jpeg

You’re doing the same thing.

Last edited:

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
Through a friend of the family, 5 floors of the local hospital are entirely filled with covid patients, 99% of them unvaccinated. It is just unfathomable that we're going in the wrong direction ... when the vaccine, masks and hand washing are such simple measures.

Please, just get the JAB folks, for your own sake, for your family, friends, loved ones, coworkers.

If most people do no get on board with getting vaccinated, this is just going to keep going around in circles, variant a b c d e f g ... bankrupting healthcare, eroding the economy in various ways ... and life will never return to normal. Every country that had the idea they were going to toughen it out and get just herd immunity the old fashioned / natural way has failed.
Tell that to my friends daughter that paralyzed after vaccine. It's not perfect for everyone. I'm not saying you shouldn't get vaccinated. But, stop just ready headlines and research this a bit more.
Am I getting it right that putting others in danger is American? I wonder what a court would say if a non vaccinated and infected person willfully went to work and as a result effected others resulting in death or side effects like loss of smell and fatigue.
you do realized being vaccinated to does not prevent you from getting covid. My neighbor's whole family got it and were vaccinated, worse make and such. The idea is that it's supposed to help reduce the severity. Prevention is not what the vaccine does.

by the way, the court wouldn't say anything as vaccine doesn't prevent you spreading either.

• Haha
Reactions: crymimefireworks

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
You still have not corrected the quote you incorrectly attributed to me.

You did, you surgically pulled it from my original post.
I brought it up by pulling it from your post? Are you Benjamin Button? If I pulled it from your post, you must have brought it up, right? The question is why? What does it mean to you? Why did you post that specific datapoint here as opposed to any other arbitrary statistic?

No matter how many times you vomit that wall of text, I'm not going to address it all in parallel-- that just leads to constantly shifting focus while avoiding conclusions.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
You still have not corrected the quote you incorrectly attributed to me.

I brought it up by pulling it from your post? Are you Benjamin Button? If I pulled it from your post, you must have brought it up, right? The question is why? What does it mean to you? Why did you post that specific datapoint here as opposed to any other arbitrary statistic?

No matter how many times you vomit that wall of text, I'm not going to address it all in parallel-- that just leads to constantly shifting focus while avoiding conclusions.
Have fun. Be better, provide data.

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
It's nice that you've finally decided to somewhat respond to what I said days ago, though you do seem to have skipped many of the specifics points I went over. In particular the way in which 9 of the 17 citations you provided are about risks from the virus itself, and that therefore any concerns you have about the spike protein ending up in your body, are risks you face if you get infected with COVID. Risks that will be far worse if your immune system doesn't already have protective antibodies and t/b cells to respond to it more quickly.

To me that's the core issue with your arguments here, you make a very big deal about the damage that COVID itself can do to you, citing a myriad of studies about things that being infected with the real virus cause/may cause, but act as if somehow the only risks that matter are (mostly theoretical) ones from getting vaccinated.

To me the benefit/risk ratio here is just overwhelmingly on the side of getting vaccinated, both theoretically, because even if some spike proteins might possibly get into sensitive places and actually cause harm, we know that the real virus getting into those places is definitely bad, it does so at much higher levels than with the vaccines, we already see that harm, and it's significant and relatively widespread. Like the worrying cognitive impacts of being infected with COVID that the study in The Lancet that I linked to, goes over.

So you say, "there is no evidence that the spike protein produced via the vaccines is crossing the blood-brain-barrier" but then goes on to quote a guy who says that 0.02% of the vax ends up in the brain.
No, what I actually said was "There is no evidence that the spike protein produced via the vaccines is crossing the blood-brain-barrier and causing harm". Please show me the proof for the latter.

Well, there's 40 trillion lipid nanoparticles, so 40,000,000,000,000 x 0.02 = 800,000,000,000 lipid nanoparticles end up in your brain. So, let's say your right, that the spike itself doesn't cross into the blood brain barrier, even though it does, you're potentially putting 800 billion nanoparticles in your brain.
Just to be clear, what's your source for all of these numbers?

That ain't good. That's 800 billion potential transfections into your brain's blood vessels and other tissues. No wonder we're seeing neurological issues.
What neurological issues proven to be caused by the vaccines, are you talking about? How do they compare to the much more widespread and proven neurological problems caused by the virus itself, even aside from all the other issues cased by it?

The other thing you say is something that I address in my explanation. All of these people assume that the spike is only harmful when it is open. That's why you say here: "The spike protein in the Moderna, Pfizer and J&J vaccines (and the upcoming Novavax one) also had some proline mutations introduced into it which works to keep it in its prefusion form rather than the one it adopts to bind to ACE2 and do Bad Things."

But this assumption is false. The spike does its damage by the S1 protein connecting to the ACE2. That is in its closed prefusion form. Go read my explanation on the original post I go into more depth there.
I, as did Dr. Dereke Lowe in the article I linked to, noted this as a potentially extra nice protective thing with those vaccines, but my arguments never rested on it, it was like the argument equivalent of a free tote bag with purchase. Especially as someone who has a 1/3 chance of having actually had AZ themselves, which doesn't have those proline mutations, in a country where 55% of people vaccinated have have also had AZ. Also if free circulating spike protein with these mutations did cause all kinds of terrible terrible issues, why didn't the P3 results for Novavax, which is just pure spike protein, show incredibly high rates of adverse events?

Then you just says these things are rare, well that's a buzzword. Dying of covid is rare too but everyone takes that seriously. I have driven for 14 years, never had an accident because they are rare but millions of people die from them every year. Rare is a relative term and it get's thrown around a lot. It's not exactly a lot of comfort for the person who takes the vaccine and can't stop shaking anymore if you tell them their condition is rare. Their quality of life has been destroyed whereas they probably would have been fine from covid itself because covid doesn't transfect 800 billion nanoparticles into your brain.
No, rare is not a buzzword, probabilities are quantifiable, that's the whole point. COVID has killed at least 4.51 million people around the world to date, 639,000 in the US, 1,725 more just yesterday. Many times that number are dealing with lasting effects, including friends of mine in their 30s who were perfectly healthy before, but who now, many months after having COVID, are still really ill.

You're right though, the lack of comfort I can provide to hypothetical people experiencing unproven side effects is indeed limited, but the "probably would have been fine from COVID itself" is literally the opposite of how probabilities work. You are much more likely to become seriously ill and/or die as a result of being infected with COVID, than experiencing anything like that as a result of any of the vaccines.

The you say this study says things are just potential. You treat it like its all theoretical and only on paper, even though it's done on tissue which gives us a good indication that it will work the same way in the body.
You didn't quote my post so it's hard to know which study you're referring to here, though if it's the one about cell signalling, I said that because from the words of the study, it is just theoretical and on paper, it doesn't appear from the full text of the study that they tested it even in vitro, here's the quote again:

"A nonreplicable form of SARS-CoV-2 spike protein is used in the vaccines for immunization. Therefore, viral spike protein expression and duration of antigenic stimulation to the immune system in the injected tissue (although expected for a brief period) may not be sufficient to exhibit significant senescence or deleterious effect to adjacent endothelial cells."

Otherwise I note that some of the studies you're talking about just speculate about things, because is literally what many of them do. Even aside from how things often do work very differently in a petri dish than in a real human being, that actually wasn't my key point. Again, my key point is that we have no reason to think these things are happening and causing harm, because we don't see that harm even at this stage.

You say it only looks like it will do the damage but in real humans it hasn't been proven and we need to watch and wait. Great. Let's do that then and stop jabbing people until we can rule this out. Remember, drugs are guilty until proven innocent, not innocent until proven guilty.
Where did I say "we need to watch and wait"? That certainly isn't my view.

We've done extensive studies with hundreds of thousands of people around the world, and then rolled out these vaccines at utterly unprecedented scale, delivering billions of doses and doing close post-authorisation monitoring that was able to quickly find even incredibly rare side effects like TTS with AZ and J&J.

Considering how these vaccines work, as well as the history of them, there really doesn't seem to be any plausible mechanism that could even cause an issue to occur later on. Here's a great thread from an immunologist on this.

Then you talk about the biodistribution stuff is not a concern because we're different from rats.
Again, just as before with the proline mutations, this was just one single point I made out of 6.

Sure but we never got any better data because they chose to rush, so we go by what we have. Remember, guilty, not innocent. They need to prove to us that it is innocent. Show us the data that it does not spread in the human body.
What exactly should they have done on this front, that normally would happen in a vaccine study, but didn't here?

You also say that on paper the spikes were designed to stay anchored. And dismisses the study that shows they don't stay anchored. You see also the double standard? The other study was just theoretical and on paper so we can't take it seriously. But this completely unproven design must be working flawlessly. No. It too must be proven. Prove that the spikes don't get loose because in the study of the nurses 11 out of 13 had free floating spike. Guilty until proven innocent.
I didn't dismiss that study, instead I linked you to an article that goes over it and how it shows the amount that might not be staying anchored is 100,000x lower than the amount we know can cause harm, so there's no double standard here.

Also for me, this is one of the fundamental things that takes down the spike protein via the vaccine arguments you've made, because even if it is bad, even if it is able to get to places where it could cause harm, if there's just nowhere near enough of it to cause harm, then well, no harm.

On the other hand? We know the real virus itself causes harm via the spike protein, we know it circulates, we know it does so at much higher levels than with the vaccines, we know the harms infection causes don't stop there, and we know that getting vaccinated significantly reduces the chance of you getting a symptomatic infection, and massively reduces the chance of getting seriously ill. Considering how infectious Delta is, it's arguably a matter of when, not if, you're going to have some SARS-CoV-2 try to make itself at home inside your body, and if you're as concerned by the idea of the spike protein causing you harm as you say you are, why wouldn't you want a provably super-low risk way of preparing your immune system to promptly kick its arse when it does?

Unfortunately while I responded to every single citation you provided, I'm not aware of you having done that with very many of mine, especially not either Edward Nirenberg's article linked above, or Dr. David Gorski's super-detailed one.

And you may be right about the targeting ligands but if they were targeting just the muscle, and we pump the vax into the muscle, then we would likely get a decent amount of transfection. It all depends on how fast the immune system picks up the lipid nanoparticles. And I unfortunately don't know that. I imagine it would take a few days to clear up 40 trillion of them. They could also have increased the amount of nanoparticles in each shot so that this wouldn't be a problem.
My understanding is that with previous attempts to make mRNA-based vaccines, this was explicitly the problem that was hit a lot of times, and the combination of tweaking the mRNA and encapsulating it in the LNPs they did, was what helped to solve it with these.

Reactions: Analog Kid

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Probably because like most companies, they can be sued for enforcing before the government. Imagine someone dying from being vaccinated and your employer mandating it.
Considering how many other companies are requiring it, I'd be surprised if there's legal exposure from doing so.

And, yes, this is already happening. People are dying from vaccine. I get, numbers are considering low from a percentage. But, if your family is one them, you might think differently. Which means lawsuits.
As far as I'm aware, in the US, the only deaths actually as a result of the vaccines are the 3 people who had J&J and unfortunately died of TTS, those numbers are from May, though I'm not sure if they've increased much since then as J&J hasn't really been that widely used in the US.

By the way, tons and I mean tons of drugs are approved by the FDA and manny of those companies have been sued. FDA doesn't mean it's 100% safe. Funny that people don't know this.
I mean pretty much no drug or medical treatment is 100% safe, what matters is whether the benefits outweigh the risks, and they very unambiguously do here.

Tell that to my friends daughter that paralyzed after vaccine. It's not perfect for everyone. I'm not saying you shouldn't get vaccinated. But, stop just ready headlines and research this a bit more.
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's daughter, though I do have to ask whether the doctors actually think what happened to her was caused by the vaccine itself? One of the issues we run into with any treatment like this that's given at massive scale is that it's just inevitable that some people will have bad luck in terms of their health that's unrelated to getting vaccinated, but will occur around the same time. That's why the reporting mechanisms we use look at whether serious adverse events reported are happening at a higher rate than we'd expect by chance, which is how we found out about the (tiny) but real risk of TTS with AZ and J&J.

you do realized being vaccinated to does not prevent you from getting covid. My neighbor's whole family got it and were vaccinated, worse make and such. The idea is that it's supposed to help reduce the severity. Prevention is not what the vaccine does.
While no vaccine is perfect, the COVID vaccines really do help prevent you from getting infected to begin with, though Delta is certainly testing that as it's got a viral load more than 1,000x higher than previous variants which presents more of a challenge unfortunately. Though as you rightly note, the key thing is that they work incredibly well at preventing serious cases and deaths by ensuring your immune system already has protective antibodies and t/b cells that can recognise and destroy the virus.

by the way, the court wouldn't say anything as vaccine doesn't prevent you spreading either.
It actually does do that too, though again not perfectly especially with Delta, partly by reducing the number of people who get symptomatic infections who can spread it. Not sure if we have data on the duration of infectiousness in those who are unvaccinated vs. vaccinated, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a good bit lower in those who are vaccinated because your immune system can go "hey here's a bunch of antibodies/t/b cells we made earlier!" instead of having to start from scratch.

Reactions: Analog Kid

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Have fun. Be better, provide data.
Be better, explain yourself.

I provided data on Iceland that you have yet to respond to. You have yet to explain what I'm supposed to be "combatting" with data.

You have still not fixed your misquote that shows me writing something I did not write.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

Whaddayaknow... That lines up rather well with my estimates from the Iceland data.

Imperial College London said:
People who were unvaccinated had a three-fold higher prevalence than those who had received both doses of a vaccine,
you are 3 or 4 times less likely to get infected if you're vaccinated.

Last edited:

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
yes or no, are you saying that a scientist was assassinated to cover up some sort of covid hoax?
Unlike others I'm open to all ideas. Put this bit of information in your memory and use critically.

i don’t have that kind of time. every single thing you typed was either nonsense or misinformation. there aren’t really any facts there at all
i’m sure those reports are just as reliable. ie: complete fabrications
? Projection 101.

While no vaccine is perfect, the COVID vaccines really do help prevent you from getting infected to begin with, though Delta is certainly testing that as it's got a viral load more than 1,000x higher than previous variants which presents more of a challenge unfortunately. Though as you rightly note, the key thing is that they work incredibly well at preventing serious cases and deaths by ensuring your immune system already has protective antibodies and t/b cells that can recognise and destroy the virus.

It actually does do that too, though again not perfectly especially with Delta, partly by reducing the number of people who get symptomatic infections who can spread it. Not sure if we have data on the duration of infectiousness in those who are unvaccinated vs. vaccinated, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a good bit lower in those who are vaccinated because your immune system can go "hey here's a bunch of antibodies/t/b cells we made earlier!" instead of having to start from scratch.

Numbers not looking good for the big three.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Last edited:
Reactions: nathansz and hop

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008

Numbers not looking good for the big three.
What matters is the odds of dying if you’re unvaccinated vs vaccinated. All the data out there, seemingly including in this case as @Analog Kid points out, shows you are much less likely to die if you’re vaccinated.

Numbers looking pretty great I’d say ?.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It's not sci-fi. Fear of disease and death is the best way to gain power and control over the masses. Give away your personal freedoms and privacy and it's all over, folks. https://www.bitchute.com/video/dVa3tGfwq038/

Aren't promoting fear of authority, refutation of science, and organized disinformation about life saving vaccinations to capitalize on a global health crisis pretty good ways of gaining power?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smearbrick

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Why? You don’t seem to be… You can't articulate what conclusions your critical thinking have led you to.

Equally?
First there is no requirement for me too express my conclusion to you. I have mine and you have yours. I'm guessing yours probably isn't the same as mine and I'm fine with that. People are going to come to whatever conclusion they think is right.

I play in a 40 and older hockey league. The average age of the league is slightly over 50. Last year over half of the players were diagnosed with COVID. About 85% of those older, overweight guys (sadly being honest ?) said they didn't even realize they had it until they got tested. They said it was equivalent to a bad hangover. The other 15% were in bed with what they regarded as the worst flu they could remember, but all came back to play in 2-3 weeks.

----

No, I am not always open to all ideas equally now. I have 50 years experience behind me. It would be foolish to make some mistakes over and over again just because I wanted to give all choices equal consideration. Thankfully(?) I witnessed a few horrific events in my early years that opened me up to the way news works, and how things are "reported". As a young adult I was shocked at what I read and saw about those events. "Facts" that simply were not true but they fit a narrative that was popular then, as it still is today.

I don't trust a news report about the easy stuff, shootings, air crashes, street crime, even sports. There is no way I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt on this.

Reactions: WitchDoktor

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Even aside from how I find it kinda gross to shrug at other people's deaths, this doesn't just affect those who are unvaccinated, in part because the spread and creation of variants hurts even the vaccinated, and because overwhelmed hospitals lead to awful cases like this:

I find it amusing that you find it "gross to shrug at other people's deaths" when referring to a guy whose job is to cause other people's deaths.

Was that guy vaccinated? Did he oppose vaccination? If he isn't, then he is a victim of his own ignorance. The reason hospitals are overwhelmed are because of these people.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone hasn't chosen to be vaccinated by now (other than for availability reasons), then what happens to them is on THEM. I am beyond trying to reason with the unreasonable.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
First there is no requirement for me too express my conclusion to you.
No, but it is worth considering the company you’re in. Using unsupported innuendo, but avoiding actually presenting an outright conclusion is a favorite disinformation technique. It puts false information out to dupe the uneducated and conspiracy minded while allowing for a “I never said that” defense when questioned about what is obviously being suggested.

In general, if you mean something it’s best to say it outright.

So I have to ask: you do realize the absurdity of thinking Kary Mullis was killed at the age of 74 in preparation for a globally coordinated fake public health crisis a year later, right?

I play in a 40 and older hockey league. The average age of the league is slightly over 50. Last year over half of the players were diagnosed with COVID. About 85% of those older, overweight guys (sadly being honest ?) said they didn't even realize they had it until they got tested. They said it was equivalent to a bad hangover. The other 15% were in bed with what they regarded as the worst flu they could remember, but all came back to play in 2-3 weeks.
I’m happy to hear you and your teammates came out of this ok, but I find it dangerous to translate your good fortune into a parable for the masses.

No, I am not always open to all ideas equally now. I have 50 years experience behind me. It would be foolish to make some mistakes over and over again just because I wanted to give all choices equal consideration. Thankfully(?) I witnessed a few horrific events in my early years that opened me up to the way news works, and how things are "reported". As a young adult I was shocked at what I read and saw about those events. "Facts" that simply were not true but they fit a narrative that was popular then, as it still is today.

I don't trust a news report about the easy stuff, shootings, air crashes, street crime, even sports. There is no way I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt on this.

This kind of sounds to me like you’re saying you’re open only to fringe ideas because you had an experience that led to you categorically disbelieve the generally accepted view on everything.

Are you willing to share what those events might have been? Pittsburgh is generally pretty low key. Generally pretty high on lists of America’s most livable cities (if you believe those things… ?).

And while I’m not generally one to accept a politician’s view on anything, in this case you’re suggesting there’s a conspiracy that spans millions of people, thousands of scientists, and virtually every government in the world except some of the most autocratic.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.