Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Or you could just choose with your wallet. This is a form of advocation.

You can buy plenty of meat, eggs, fish that has been raised without antibiotics, fed a clean natural diet, and raised in a natural, healthy, happy ways.

Vital farms makes some great quality eggs from chickens given at least 100+ sq ft of outdoor space to roam in the sun, eat naturally, and even have live feed links on each carton so you can see the farm and conditions of where your eggs were hatched. They also really care about their customers, and take feedback very well.

among other things, you can strictly buy only pasture raised meat (versus grass fed only, which is typically just fed grass indoors
I wasn't one suggesting a plant based diet.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
You can buy plenty of meat, eggs, fish that has been raised without antibiotics, fed a clean natural diet, and raised in a natural, healthy, happy ways.
But how can I know that my meat, eggs or fish were happy while they were being raised? Maybe they were depressed realizing what was in store for them. Can I really trust the person who is selling them for profit to be telling the truth about how they raised them?

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
But how can I know that my meat, eggs or fish were happy while they were being raised? Maybe they were depressed realizing what was in store for them. Can I really trust the person who is selling them for profit to be telling the truth about how they raised them?
I’m simply saying it makes me happy, to see how much care they put into creating a healthy natural environment for the hens, and extremely transparent business practices.

In the example I provided, Vital Farms, every farm has a video feed you can see of the hens outside.

They have a ton of space to roam around outside, and receive sunlight, choose thier food from their habitat thus getting more nutrients (and free of pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics). They roam all year round, and have a large barn where they can shelter up (on their own accord, not forced, if it’s cold outside)

So while I’m sure they aren’t extactic about their eggs being stolen, they are probably much happier and healthier than their counterparts at McDonald’s suppliers.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Yeah, that's like asking the fox to let you know how happy the chickens are.
Like I said, I don’t really care how happy they are. Just that they are healthier for me to eat. Better conditions and standards mean higher quality food, more nutrients, less bad stuff.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The problem isn't that you aren't dumping enough text, it's that you're unwilling to maintain a focused conversation.

You're trying to create a clearinghouse for misinformation, rather than critically examining it. Pick a point of debate, support your point, read the responses given, and then respond to those directly. If you see the opposing view, acknowledge it. If you see a flaw in the response, point it out. If you feel that line of discussion has reached an impasse, say so and pick another distinct topic.

Just two quick and easy examples of where stuff you're linking just doesn't say what you think it does:

It seems that the PCR test that we've all been using cannot discriminate between a covid infection and a flu infection. It has therefore had its EUA revoked by the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/...-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html
This is clearly wrong. It was revoked by the CDC in favor of tests that allow simultaneous testing of covid and influenza, not because the covid test is confounded by influenza.

Iceland covid data shows majority of covid cases are fully vaccinated:https://www.covid.is/data
I'm sorry, are you suggesting that the vaccinated are more likely to get infected? Seriously, apply some critical thinking here.

77% of Icelanders are vaccinated, mostly because they're only starting to vaccinate the under 16 demographic. Without knowing anything about the lifestyle choices (ie. are the vaccinated more cavalier in their interactions) and employment of the vaccinated versus unvaccinated in Iceland, just assuming that everyone is exposed equally, if the vaccine were ineffective you'd expect to see 3 or 4 times as many cases among the vaccinated as among the unvaccinated. Instead what you see is closer to 1:1, so you are 3 or 4 times less likely to get infected if you're vaccinated.

The population of Iceland is 364k people. The entire country has less people than Wyoming. Iceland has 14 cases per 100,000 people. Wyoming has 69 per 100,000. Wyoming has a vaccination rate of 38%.

Last edited:

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
“It seems that the PCR test that we've all been using cannot discriminate between a covid infection and a flu infection. It has therefore had its EUA revoked by the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/...-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html
This is clearly wrong. It was revoked by the CDC
So it was revolked by the CDC. It still remains unclear if the original tests could have been inaccurate. Thank you for the link.

Amacfa said:
Iceland covid data shows majority of covid cases are fully vaccinated:https://www.covid.is/data
I'm sorry, are you suggesting that the vaccinated are more likely to get infected? Seriously, apply some critical thinking here.
Um, no. As titled. “Iceland Covid data shows majority of Covid cases are fully vaccinated”

I’m not making any assumptions.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
So it was revolked by the CDC. It still remains unclear if the original tests could have been inaccurate. Thank you for the link.
Please fix the attribution of your quotes. I did not say that the existing PCR test can not discriminate between covid and flu. You said that. What you said is incorrect and not supported by your link and directly refuted by the CDC quote given in mine. Also please correct the second quote which puts a period where I did not have one-- it changes the meaning of my sentence.

Read my statement, read my link. Do you not know enough about how PCR works that you think it even possible that it couldn't discriminate between covid and flu? Do you not understand enough about viral strains that you think those two are somehow similar? They're not even the same phylum...

Is there more to discuss on this particular point, or do you recognize that you were incorrect in your characterization of this CDC notice? If not, which of your hundreds of links include data supporting the idea that the test being discontinued was inaccurate?

Um, no. As titled. “Iceland Covid data shows majority of Covid cases are fully vaccinated”

I’m not making any assumptions.

Not making assumptions, but not making sense either. You're clarifying to insist that the case was vaccinated? How does one vaccinate a case? Can it be done if the case is electronically recorded, or must one pour vaccine directly into the manilla folder?

Reactions: hop

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
The problem isn't that you aren't dumping enough text, it's that you're unwilling to maintain a focused conversation.

You're trying to create a clearinghouse for misinformation, rather than critically examining it. Pick a point of debate, support your point, read the responses given, and then respond to those directly. If you see the opposing view, acknowledge it. If you see a flaw in the response, point it out. If you feel that line of discussion has reached an impasse, say so and pick another distinct topic.
This is why I gave up replying, it's like playing a game of whack-a-misinformation-mole rather than having a discussion in good faith, especially considering that half of the citations and assertions they're making in their latest post, are the exact same ones they made days ago that I systematically dismantled without getting a response. Now they've just reposted them and added some more stuff.

I saw the PCR thing too when skimming their updated wall of text, and eyerolled partly because I literally posted a factcheck for that days ago when someone else came out with it.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
Reactions: nathansz and hop

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Some Americans “ain’t”. Most know what’s up. I don’t know about the anti vaccine crowd. It’s like they were dropped on their head, and lost all semblance of intelligence. Vaccine science was taught in elementary school, but no one seems to remember it.
These are vaccines?

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
These are vaccines?
Yup, they teach your immune system to learn how to identify a pathogen and prompt it to create protective antibodies and t/b cells so that if anything like that (like the real virus) shows up again, your immune system can quickly recognise and destroy it. Science + our immune system is an awesome combination.

Reactions: Smearbrick

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Please fix the attribution of your quotes. I did not say that the existing PCR test can not discriminate between covid and flu. You said that. What you said is incorrect and not supported by your link and directly refuted by the CDC quote given in mine. Also please correct the second quote which puts a period where I did not have one-- it changes the meaning of my sentence.

Read my statement, read my link. Do you not know enough about how PCR works that you think it even possible that it couldn't discriminate between covid and flu? Do you not understand enough about viral strains that you think those two are somehow similar? They're not even the same phylum...

Is there more to discuss on this particular point, or do you recognize that you were incorrect in your characterization of this CDC notice? If not, which of your hundreds of links include data supporting the idea that the test being discontinued was inaccurate?
I acknowledge my original statement (in reference to the PCR test being inaccurate) being inaccurate, in reference to the attached linked that followed it. Let me be clear. You have convinced me, that now I take a neutral (probably more leaning to what you linked in the reply. This is why I thanked you. I have also crossed this out in my original post, and clearly sectioned off non-academic articles/videos.

I think you misread or misinterpreted that part, and instead spent 95% of the post attacking my grammatical errors in quoting your posts. Relax. I’m here to take it in, analyze, and break it back down. The mistake is corrected on the original post (under non academic)

In my post, I have made 10 points for vaccine hesitation, and directly cited close to 100 peer reviewed medical journals. I look forward to any thing else you might see wrong or in error.

Not making assumptions, but not making sense either. You're clarifying to insist that the case was vaccinated? How does one vaccinate a case? Can it be done if the case is electronically recorded, or must one pour vaccine directly into the manilla folder?

I’m presenting data. How does that not make sense? Is it because it’s not favorable to you?

Hypothetical questions don’t thwart it, present data to combat it.

Last edited:

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021

Just two quick and easy examples of where stuff you're linking just doesn't say what you think it does:

This is clearly wrong. It was revoked by the CDC in favor of tests that allow simultaneous testing of covid and influenza, not because the covid test is confounded by influenza.

77% of Icelanders are vaccinated, mostly because they're only starting to vaccinate the under 16 demographic. Without knowing anything about the lifestyle choices (ie. are the vaccinated more cavalier in their interactions) and employment of the vaccinated versus unvaccinated in Iceland, just assuming that everyone is exposed equally, if the vaccine were ineffective you'd expect to see 3 or 4 times as many cases among the vaccinated as among the unvaccinated. Instead what you see is closer to 1:1, so you are 3 or 4 times less likely to get infected if you're vaccinated.

The population of Iceland is 364k people. The entire country has less people than Wyoming. Iceland has 14 cases per 100,000 people. Wyoming has 69 per 100,000. Wyoming has a vaccination rate of 38%.
But Google says 73.8% are vaccinated in Iceland?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I think you misread or misinterpreted that part, and instead spent 95% of the post attacking my grammatical errors in quoting your posts.
You still haven't corrected the misquoting of my original post. I don't care about grammatical errors as long as the meaning is clear enough. English isn't everyone's native language, and even among English speakers typos abound.

If you're going to put words in a box that claims I wrote them though, I expect them to be things I wrote. If you're going to abridge my statements for clarity, I expect the meaning to be unaltered by punctuation.

I’m presenting data. How does that not make sense? Is it because it’s not favorable to you?

Hypothetical questions don’t thwart it, present data to combat it.

Combat what? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, and when I asked you simply repeated that the cases were vaccinated. Originally I assumed you meant that infected people were vaccinated and believed that meant the vaccine was ineffective. I showed you why it didn't mean the vaccine was ineffective. You came back with something, jokes aside, I still can't quite parse.

You linked to data from Iceland. How is that data relevant to this discussion?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
But Google says 73.8% are vaccinated in Iceland?
Iceland says 279,121 people have been vaccinated. It depends on the population estimate you use to determine the percentage. I'm not sure what I used yesterday. I just back calculated again from the numbers in the Icelandic table though and if 263,531 is 72% of the population, then 279,121 is 76.3% Whatever population estimate I used yesterday must have been slightly different.

Not that any of that changes the point. As long as the percent vaccinated is more than 50%, then a 1:1 ratio favors vaccination.

Last edited:

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
You still haven't corrected the misquoting of my original post. I don't care about grammatical errors as long as the meaning is clear enough. English isn't everyone's native language, and even among English speakers typos abound.

If you're going to put words in a box that claims I wrote them though, I expect them to be things I wrote. If you're going to abridge my statements for clarity, I expect the meaning to be unaltered by punctuation.

Combat what? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, and when I asked you simply repeated that the cases were vaccinated. Originally I assumed you meant that infected people were vaccinated and believed that meant the vaccine was ineffective. I showed you why it didn't mean the vaccine was ineffective. You came back with something, jokes aside, I still can't quite parse.

You linked to data from Iceland. How is that data relevant to this discussion?
You’re still hanging on to a settled topic. Are you ready to move on? I’m ready to discuss how the other 75+ sources are flawed.

Tactically, you also surgically quoted small parts of my post, to drum up hysteria, ignoring the rest.

Be better, provide data. Refute my original post and linked studies.

hop

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I’m ready to discuss how the other 75+ sources are flawed.

Tactically, you also surgically quoted small parts of my post, to drum up hysteria, ignoring the rest.

Be better, provide data. Refute my original post and linked studies.
The problem is that you've shown that even if people do this, and refute every single assertion and link you've posted, point-by-point, you'll just ignore them, repost the exact same links again, and add some more.

I remembered I had a copy of Kaleidoscope, so out of interest, I extracted the links from your actual original post, the one I thoroughly responded to and which you just ignored, did the same with your latest "original post", and compared them. All 17 of the links you posted then, which I responded to and refuted in full, are ones you posted again in your newer post, even if you moved the order of some of them around and added more.

I'm not gonna tell @Analog Kid how to spend their time, but if my rebuttals for all 17 links you posted originally weren't good enough for you to even engage with, why would theirs be now you've posted them again and added 54 new ones?

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Hope you don't mind I've re-ordered some of these so I don't have to repeat myself as much, and I do give you credit for providing sources, even if a whole lot of them are very misleading to people who aren't as deep into this stuff, don't show what you're saying, and/or aren't a cause for concern.

A quick sidenote to begin with for most people reading this: If the stuff Amacfa was asserting was actually the case and caused problems on anything more than a tiny scale, we would see lots of terrible adverse events that fit with it, which we just don't see. Get vaccinated folks!

All of these do indeed seem pretty bad, but they're about the spike protein from the virus itself, nothing to do with the vaccines. If anything they're more of a reason to get vaccinated so your immune system is primed to stop the virus and its spike proteins from getting into your brain and causing damage. This would also probably help explain the worrying evidence we have around COVID causing lasting cognitive impacts.

While you state that the last study is about the spike protein from the vaccine as well, what it actually says is that it's quite unlikely to be an issue as a result of vaccination, and they didn't seem to test it either, just wondered about it.

While it's good that we track possible adverse events, this is 10 cases out of many hundreds of millions of doses of Pfizer given worldwide, hasn't been seen elsewhere that I'm aware of even though that article is from May, and it's not actually been confirmed as related to the vaccine even by the Japanese authorities as far as I'm aware. Coincidences do indeed happen at this scale.

There is no evidence that the spike protein produced via the vaccines is crossing the blood-brain-barrier and causing harm, and there's a few reasons for that, many of which Dr Derek Lowe goes over in this great article:
  1. The overwhelming majority of the vaccine stays around the injection site (we'll come back to this).
  2. The spike protein created via the vaccines is anchored to the cell that it was created in, it isn't free-floating.
  3. Here's an incredibly detailed article by an expert on the blood-brain-barrier that shows how even in studies where they gave rats dosages much higher than any human would get, the amount in their rat brains was 0.02%, and she makes clear that is likely an overestimation, and it goes down to 0.01% within 48 hours.
  4. The spike protein in the Moderna, Pfizer and J&J vaccines (and the upcoming Novavax one) also had some proline mutations introduced into it which works to keep it in its prefusion form rather than the one it adopts to bind to ACE2 and do Bad Things.
  5. As we've already established via the long set of citations you provided above (thanks), the spike protein from the real virus is a nasty thing, does spread around our bodies, does hurt us, can seemingly get into our brains, and as we'll go over later, is present in your body at much higher levels via actual infection than it even theoretically could be via the vaccines, so getting vaccinated is the much safer option if you want to keep spike proteins from messing with your brain.

This isn't really news, but it only happens with AZ/J&J, is incredibly rare (1 in 50,000-100,000), treatable, and if it happens, happens within a few weeks of vaccination. However the idea that it lends credence to the hypothesis of the spike protein crossing the blood/brain barrier, is not backed up simply by this.

It's an interesting theory to explain what might possibly be happening in the above incredibly rare cases with AZ/J&J, but even aside from how that article is a preprint, the actual issue in question is still incredibly rare and treatable as above.

No, this article is about how it potentially could, theoretically, cause damage. It doesn't show that actual damage has, or is, occurring as a result of the vaccines in actual people. It calls for us to monitor the vaccines to check they prove safe, which we've been doing for around 16 months since the first trials started, and at absolutely massive scale internationally for more than 8 months with billions of doses given. And though I think was just a typo on your part, obviously aside from the upcoming Novavax vaccine, none of the authorised vaccines currently contain the spike protein itself.

Edward Nirenberg has a great article going over exactly this paper, showing that amount of spike protein in question is around 100,000x lower than the level we know can cause harm. This incredibly detailed article from David Gorski goes into all of this stuff in more detail.

1. It's not inherently a problem if some of the vaccine doesn't stay at the injection site, what matters is how much, and where it ends up exactly.
  2. The biodistribution data has been available for ages and was part of the EMA assessment of the vaccines, Bridle didn't 'unearth' anything.
  3. The experiment was in rats, not humans, and we are a tad different.
  4. What it shows is that the vast majority of the LNPs, representing the vaccine, do stay at the injection site. The link I posted before that goes over the possibility of the blood-brain-barrier stuff, goes over this particular paper in detail, notes that it was done at doses so high they're impossible to reach in humans, and only a small proportion of the LNPs, representing the vaccine, end up elsewhere
  5. As before, even if some do, it's still not a big issue because the spike proteins produced will be anchored inside the cell they were created in. What you raised earlier about the AZ/J&J vaccine possibly not always doing so, obviously doesn't apply to Pfizer/Moderna anyway.
  6. Finally, the mRNA itself obviously breaks down pretty quickly anyway.

Also, fun thing about Byram Bridle, he got a $230,000 grant from the Ontario government to develop a viral vector vaccine using the spike protein.

If they designed them that way, as you note, the immune system would likely see the LNPs right away and dispose of them, which means the vaccine couldn't work, so it seems a bit strange to criticise them for designing a vaccine so it can actually work.

While the "we" here is quite a big one, which definitely includes a lot of people who are explicitly anti-vaccine, the vast majority of evidence you've provided is evidence as to why the real coronavirus is terrible and getting vaccinated is good, and rest of it is either things we already know that are incredibly rare, things you've misunderstood, or that just aren't a problem.

So you say, "there is no evidence that the spike protein produced via the vaccines is crossing the blood-brain-barrier" but then goes on to quote a guy who says that 0.02% of the vax ends up in the brain. Well, there's 40 trillion lipid nanoparticles, so 40,000,000,000,000 x 0.02 = 800,000,000,000 lipid nanoparticles end up in your brain. So, let's say your right, that the spike itself doesn't cross into the blood brain barrier, even though it does, you're potentially putting 800 billion nanoparticles in your brain. That ain't good. That's 800 billion potential transfections into your brain's blood vessels and other tissues. No wonder we're seeing neurological issues.

The other thing you say is something that I address in my explanation. All of these people assume that the spike is only harmful when it is open. That's why you say here: "The spike protein in the Moderna, Pfizer and J&J vaccines (and the upcoming Novavax one) also had some proline mutations introduced into it which works to keep it in its prefusion form rather than the one it adopts to bind to ACE2 and do Bad Things."

But this assumption is false. The spike does its damage by the S1 protein connecting to the ACE2. That is in its closed prefusion form. Go read my explanation on the original post I go into more depth there.

Then you just says these things are rare, well that's a buzzword. Dying of covid is rare too but everyone takes that seriously. I have driven for 14 years, never had an accident because they are rare but millions of people die from them every year. Rare is a relative term and it get's thrown around a lot. It's not exactly a lot of comfort for the person who takes the vaccine and can't stop shaking anymore if you tell them their condition is rare. Their quality of life has been destroyed whereas they probably would have been fine from covid itself because covid doesn't transfect 800 billion nanoparticles into your brain.

The you say this study says things are just potential. You treat it like its all theoretical and only on paper, even though it's done on tissue which gives us a good indication that it will work the same way in the body. You say it only looks like it will do the damage but in real humans it hasn't been proven and we need to watch and wait. Great. Let's do that then and stop jabbing people until we can rule this out. Remember, drugs are guilty until proven innocent, not innocent until proven guilty.

Then you talk about the biodistribution stuff is not a concern because we're different from rats. Sure but we never got any better data because they chose to rush, so we go by what we have. Remember, guilty, not innocent. They need to prove to us that it is innocent. Show us the data that it does not spread in the human body. You also say that on paper the spikes were designed to stay anchored. And dismisses the study that shows they don't stay anchored. You see also the double standard? The other study was just theoretical and on paper so we can't take it seriously. But this completely unproven design must be working flawlessly. No. It too must be proven. Prove that the spikes don't get loose because in the study of the nurses 11 out of 13 had free floating spike. Guilty until proven innocent.

And you may be right about the targeting ligands but if they were targeting just the muscle, and we pump the vax into the muscle, then we would likely get a decent amount of transfection. It all depends on how fast the immune system picks up the lipid nanoparticles. And I unfortunately don't know that. I imagine it would take a few days to clear up 40 trillion of them. They could also have increased the amount of nanoparticles in each shot so that this wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
You’re still hanging on to a settled topic. Are you ready to move on?
I will move on when you fix the public record and address my response on Iceland. I did not say this:
1630384306442.png
I also did not put a period at the end of the sentence "revoked by the CDC", which changed the meaning of my comment:
1630384675228.png
I wrote this:
That's probably less critical except that I'd seen the earlier draft of your response where you implied I was agreeing with you, and the way you bolded the repeated word pattern and then excised the negative clause at the end of my sentence was designed to give that appearance. To your credit, you changed your response, but you left the distorted text.

I extracted specific bullets from your manifesto to begin focusing on. The fact that they are no longer bracketed by Thalidomide and Obama's birthday party doesn't change the fact that your interpretation of these two information sources is wrong. Based on what I'm seeing so far, I imagine many of the others are as well. We can move on to some of them if you like once we reach a conclusion on these.

You still have not responded on the Iceland post.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I will move on when you fix the public record and address my response on Iceland. I did not say this:
I also did not put a period at the end of the sentence "revoked by the CDC", which changed the meaning of my comment:
I wrote this:

That's probably less critical except that I'd seen the earlier draft of your response where you implied I was agreeing with you, and the way you bolded the repeated word pattern and then excised the negative clause at the end of my sentence was designed to give that appearance. To your credit, you changed your response, but you left the distorted text.

I extracted specific bullets from your manifesto to begin focusing on. The fact that they are no longer bracketed by Thalidomide and Obama's birthday party doesn't change the fact that your interpretation of these two information sources is wrong. Based on what I'm seeing so far, I imagine many of the others are as well. We can move on to some of them if you like once we reach a conclusion on these.

You still have not responded on the Iceland post.
My apologies, most of the edits were done on safari on the mobile version of the site. It’s a nightmare with quotes. I did not intend to change the message of the quote. We are in agreement and I have changed my stance and edited a strike through the comment.

As far as Iceland, the data shows - out of all cases on that chart, a majority of those were vaccinated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.