Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
For a small developer, the 30% cut is probably is worth it in terms of handling all of the details (payment, hosting, financial issues, support et al) . For a large company the 30% can be a large number and may not seem worthwhile. And lawsuits may be a cheaper way to lower those costs. I figure Apple will decide on a new way to make their $$ and people will still complain.
They made it 15% for small buisnessness

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Apple is enforcing every app to go for subscription.

Citation for this, please?

Reason I ask is that of the dozens of apps I have, only a couple have a subscription through the app store -- and they were that way from the beginning.

So I'm very curious from where you've learned of this grand plan by Apple to enforce every app to have a subscription?

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Citation for this, please?

Reason I ask is that of the dozens of apps I have, only a couple have a subscription through the app store -- and they were that way from the beginning.

So I'm very curious from where you've learned of this grand plan by Apple to enforce every app to have a subscription?
I agree. I am an app developer since 2012 and that is not the case. Apple has been very good to its developers since I have been part of the ecosystem. I would never want my apps on another store....Safe and Secure is where I like to be.

Reactions: deeddawg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Wouldn't other factors also impact it? I assumed some differences exist based on who supplies the fuel, the price when the station was last refilled, and if they have other services that can generate revenue.
Well sure, but that's far more complex a matter than the simplistic anti-corporate conspiracy theories. :D

Of course, willingness-to-pay (and convenience) is a factor in any pricing decision (for non-commodity goods) which is partly why the big-name gasoline vendors try so hard to differentiate their product from their competitors even if the differences are functionally irrelevant

CthuluLemon

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2020
These EU shakedowns (that's what they are) remind me of the Wild West.
And the EU isn't the biggest market. It's becoming less significant by the year. The Chinese and US economies are bigger nowadays.

Are you seriously trying to compare regulatory oversight and courts to the Wild West; that a super national block enforcing its laws is comparable to the lawlessness of the American West?

But sure, let’s pretend that this is the modern equivalent of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral; they’re totally similar. /s

Last edited:

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I don’t get the argument here. Spotify’s position is that Apple must host their app on the App Store for free? That is the ask right? Let us put an app on your store and you host it but we get to keep 100 percent of the profit and you get $0.00 for hosting the app. Or is it incumbent upon Apple to lower their margins so Spotify can raise theirs. There is no reality where Apple hosts the apps on the App Store for free. My feeling is that too many of these little suits will force apple to start charging a monthly hosting fee for the App Store developers which will only stifle if not eliminate small developers who only want to develop an app.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Maybe Spotify should invest in billions of dollars and create their own phones, laptops and speakers……… as well as software design.

Maybe Apple should invest billions of dollars marketing their steaming music product rather than spending only a fraction of that because of their illegally anticompetitive product tying and preferential placement on their phones.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Maybe Apple should invest billions of dollars marketing their steaming music product rather than spending only a fraction of that because of their illegally anticompetitive product tying and preferential placement on their phones.
You do know apple created this entire market when they announced their 3G phones in 2008 right? They are not anticompetitive...I personally think Spotify is a very corrupt company, which hasn't made a profit, nor pay artists what they deserve. I support Apple and anyone who pays artists what they should get. They are still hurting from the Napster days in 98-99

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
the one problem I have with most of the new laws/lawsuits is that the rules were put into place when Apple was being laughed at and they have remained relatively static since then. . . . this is not the actions of some predatory company trying to milk every $$ out of the developer. Arguing that they now have monopolistic control and the rules are now unfair is disingenuous at best. And all Apple has to do is change the rules of their iOS Marketplace. The current consignment model is the most open that is available to most developers. A developer can create a product, with a minimum of cost compared to a normal business, and a global platform is available to them to distribute and market their product. Nothing else is available is any other business. If the power that be decide to change the rules, Apple will as well. There are always unintended consequences.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I find it funny that when businesses complain about high prices, investigations and changes typically happen. Now when consumers complain about high prices like gas and/or $1000 phones, nothing happens. Gas prices are very suspect when the same store will advertise a different price depending on what side of town you are on.....
Not suspect. I worked for one of the largest oil companies. This is exactly what they do. Prices are fixed as high as competition in the area will tolerate. Lots of factors go into this - consumer inertia, competition in an x-mile radius, supply chain issues etc.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Not suspect. I worked for one of the largest oil companies. This is exactly what they do. Prices are fixed as high as competition in the area will tolerate. Lots of factors go into this - consumer inertia, competition in an x-mile radius, supply chain issues etc.
Well we all know big oil is the most corrupted industry on the planet.

• Haha
Reactions: Black Magic

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
You do know apple created this entire market when they announced their 3G phones in 2008 right? They are not anticompetitive...I personally think Spotify is a very corrupt company, which hasn't made a profit, nor pay artists what they deserve. I support Apple and anyone who pays artists what they should get. They are still hurting from the Napster days in 98-99
It doesn't matter if Apple created the market. That's not how the antitrust laws work. Once you reach a certain market position the laws place special rules on companies leveraging that position into other markets. Those laws being enforced on other companies is what gave companies like Apple a opportunity to flourish and compete. It's a two-way street.

Reactions: d686546s

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
It doesn't matter if Apple created the market. That's not how the antitrust laws work. Once you reach a certain market position the laws place special rules are n companies leveraging that position into other markets.

Microsoft created the PC market but was guilty of illegal tying and anticompetitive behavior.
Not really they got a slap on the wrist. All honestly how hard is it to install Netscape and not use Microsoft exploder in the 90s?

And if we want to get nuts and CRAZY, Apple needs to sue android anyway because they basically stole the entire phone.

But that ship has long sailed unfortunetly.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
How is Apple "enforcing every app to go for subscription"?

As far as Spotify is concerned, there's really no reason for someone to subscribe through the iOS app for $12.99 when you can subscribe online for $9.99.
Except that there is no way to get the app on your phone without going through the app store so there is your friction right there. If you could install the app via the website, you might have had a point.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Except that there is no way to get the app on your phone without going through the app store so there is your friction right there. If you could install the app via the website, you might have had a point.
You can just download it and log in with the info from the Spotify website. You don't have to pay Apple. However, I have no clue why anyone would use Spotify, but to each its own. What happened to Spotify Lossless Bueller?, anybody? ??

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I wonder if people from EC ever done shopping in a supermarket like Tesco. Tesco is both a shopping platform and product maker, they make cheaper products to compete against other brands that are on their shelves. Also they take a cut from every products they sell. EC failed in court against Apple regarding tax case, they proved nothing but their political agenda against US company.
This describes every supermarket ever. Also those "cheaper products" are usually made by the same brands who get their cut.

Not sure how you think this compares with what is going on with the App Store.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You can just download it and log in with the info from the Spotify website. You don't have to pay Apple. However, I have no clue why anyone would use Spotify, but to each its own. What happened to Spotify Lossless Bueller?, anybody? ??
It still involves a trip to two different stores.. This is the point. Making it more laborious for today's idle generation.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

You don't need to install app via the website. You can download through the App store for free. Once subscribed to Spotify online, you can use the app to log in to your premium subscription. There's no need to pay the extra $3/month.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If kids think that is too much to do...then spending 12.99 is their own fault.

... and probably why the new big thing seems to be apps / services which look for your subscriptions so you can cancel the ones you no longer use.

Apparently actually looking at one's bank and credit card statements is too much Adulting for enough people that these are viable services. SMH ?‍♂️

Reactions: nrose101

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
They were in the music businesses way before iPhone. Music Streaming is an evolution of the old iTunes purchase song model that I have used years before Spotify was even a business.

Reactions: nrose101

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
They were in the music businesses way before iPhone. Music Streaming is an evolution of the old iTunes purchase song model that I have used years before Spotify was even a business.
Agreed. I have apple music, but I buy the music I want. Personally, I hate streaming. I want to OWN things.

I had the iPod since 2004 like you said waaaay before streaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.