Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
It still involves a trip to two different stores.. This is the point. Making it more laborious for today's idle generation.
And doesn’t that go against the whole “side load - dozens of stores” concept a lot of people here want?

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
One wonders, if that was something important to those folks, why they didn't chose the platform which provides that capability?
Oh they do. As long as Apple / Google want to part of the european market they have to play by the rules of those markets. And before you start arguing, South Korea, the Netherlands, lots of other co untries even the US prepare similar rules to the european DMA.

You are simply not allowed to drive on the wrong side of the street - simple as that. And Apple is not allowed to do so, too.

Last edited:

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Well, any such lawsuit can help bring Apple back to earth and is therefore welcome. Maybe one day Apple can once again become the humble and customer centric company it was 11 years ago, leaving behind the largely undesirable developments under Tim Cook.

Reactions: AndiG

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i always feel like this conversation is frustrating because it's focused on whether apple can charge 30% in its app store, versus can apple lock down their device to a singular app store.

I, for one, think apple should allow for other app stores which is how most operating system works. But then, why force apple to do this when sony, nintendo, microsoft game consoles don't have to?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
i always feel like this conversation is frustrating because it's focused on whether apple can charge 30% in its app store, versus can apple lock down their device to a singular app store.

I, for one, think apple should allow for other app stores which is how most operating system works. But then, why force apple to do this when sony, nintendo, microsoft game consoles don't have to?

Each instance is unique and should be based on the merits of the issue. The "But he/she/X does it too!!!" is old and doesn't apply. That said, the result of the current issues with Apple and Google in the EU could affect other venues. We just have to await the outcome.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Each instance is unique and should be based on the merits of the issue. The "But he/she/X does it too!!!" is old and doesn't apply. That said, the result of the current issues with Apple and Google in the EU could affect other venues. We just have to await the outcome.
If this gets too much Apple will leave the EU and take their toys with them. Then how would everyone feel? Apple again has done nothing wrong. Spotify is just trying to rebrand its image as a hero of the people instead of the corrupt corporation they are.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Sorry, businesses need to be run with equality in mind. Apple wasn't always a monopoly. You shouldn't have a system where it's ok to run a business for certain circumstances, but then force businesses to change their business once you get to a large enough size. That doesn't work for users, and it doesn't work for businesses either.

Reactions: nrose101

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Sorry, businesses need to be run with equality in mind. Apple wasn't always a monopoly. You shouldn't have a system where it's ok to run a business for certain circumstances, but then force businesses to change their business once you get to a large enough size. That doesn't work for users, and it doesn't work for businesses either.
I'm puzzled by this comment. This is exactly how monopoly legislation operates. Once you hit a critical mass, you operate with more restrictions because your share of the market makes it harder for smaller entities to compete fairly. Allowing behemoths free rein will result in less choice for the consumer and a corrupted market.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
If that is indeed true (where is the source?), then what does Spotify have to gain from filing this complaint? Sort of like me suing a grocery store I don't shop at for price gouging.
This is about Tencent the Chinese State owned company that owns 40% of Epic and a significant portion of Spotify. The Chinese want to weaken Apple so they can more easily compete. They are big in phones, games, and music.

This is a leverage play using gullible or compromised politicians.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal

Are you saying law makers should demand the same to the kinds of Apple has they do to ISP? Humm ... maybe you are right.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
This is about Tencent the Chinese State owned company that owns 40% of Epic and a significant portion of Spotify. The Chinese want to weaken Apple so they can more easily compete. They are big in phones, games, and music.

This is a leverage play using gullible or compromised politicians.

Oh dear ... another conspiracy theory.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
This is false. Spotify have removed the ability to purchase subscriptions in the app since 2016. That’s over 6 years ago.

The 1% today is grandfathered in. Before 2016.
So they don't have to compete with Apple's 30% cut (sorry, 15%) and they are still complaining? What's next, Netflix complaining that they have to compete with TV+?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
If this gets too much Apple will leave the EU and take their toys with them. Then how would everyone feel? Apple again has done nothing wrong. Spotify is just trying to rebrand its image as a hero of the people instead of the corrupt corporation they are.

From a commerce point of view that makes little to no sense. The App Store and store paypoint are far too small in the overall bucket of Apple financials. Dropping the EU would kill their stock.

Note: I am an Apple stockholder.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

According to whom? Or should I say who's definition?
Apple is not a monopoly in the strict US sense and this issue in the EU does require monopoly to be a status. Others here like @Sophisticatednut explain this far better than I can.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
So they don't have to compete with Apple's 30% cut (sorry, 15%) and they are still complaining? What's next, Netflix complaining that they have to compete with TV+?
This is a very weird case for Spotify to be bringing. Not only are they not paying Apple the 30% that they are complaining about, but they also currently have double the market share of Apple in the subscription music market.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
I find it funny that when businesses complain about high prices, investigations and changes typically happen. Now when consumers complain about high prices like gas and/or $1000 phones, nothing happens. Gas prices are very suspect when the same store will advertise a different price depending on what side of town you are on.....
Unfortunately that has more to do with Taxes than anything. I drive by a town that charges $5.29 for regular. While not even 2 miles away its $4.29. And, while further away I can get it for $3.99.
Taxes some some sprinkling of gouge.

Reactions: nrose101

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Of all the bad takes in the wide Internet world of bad takes, this takes the bad take cake.

I don't like the fact that there's only one broadband ISP in my area, so I suppose I am free to start my own broadband company and raise it to the point where it's competitive with Time Warner? Problem solved?

You should just say "I'm OK with unfair competition" - it's more direct and less intellectually dishonest.
I agree that it sucks to have only 1 option. And in many parts of the US, even that is an upgrade. They are still on dial-up or DSL if they are lucky.

Not saying this is a popular path for many. But, that guy got feed up enough with it, that he did start his own broadband ISP.

My greater point here is that, while it's in many cases unfair to have only 1 ISP to pick. It's maybe due to others not being able to profit from doing so in that area. No profit, those shareholders will balk at the idea.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
For a small developer, the 30% cut is probably is worth it in terms of handling all of the details (payment, hosting, financial issues, support et al) . For a large company the 30% can be a large number and may not seem worthwhile. And lawsuits may be a cheaper way to lower those costs. I figure Apple will decide on a new way to make their $$ and people will still complain.
It is. Smaller devs don't have to deal with all that stuff. While larger Devs "could" deal with it as they may already have systems in place to manage it. Apple providing it universally helps the consumer. As I don't have to deal or worry about what I buy on the store. I don't have to care what the cut is to Apple or what the dev made. Or taxes, etc. I don't care about how the sausage is made behind the curtain. I'm sure it's a $#!T show behind it. But, the consumer is shielded from that.

Larger companies always want to make more. Balking at Apple for its 30/15% cut is a cheap, fast, and easy way to make more profit for themselves. But, those companies already have means to sell outside the AppStore. So, really they shouldn't be complaining at all. And they are also finding out that it's not so cheap, fast and easy to go through all these legal hops.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Oh they do. As long as Apple / Google want to part of the european markt they have to play by the rules of those markets. And before you start arguing, South Korea, the Netherlands, lots of other co untries even the US prepare similar rules to the european DMA.

You are simply not allowed to drive on the wrong side of the street - simple as that. And Apple is not allowed to do so, too.
Did the rules recently change? Why NOW of all things and not in 2008 when the iPhone first launched?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
What’s the market share of Spotify’s “Car Thing?” Apple’s share of the mobile app distribution market? When you answer those two questions, I believe you’ll find the difference.

Spotify 30% market share, 2x as big as Apple's in Music streaming
Apple iPhone 23% in EU. Behind Samsung at 29% and near Xaomi at 20%.

Yeas, there is a difference.

what would happen if Apple charges for every download of the app? in a way, hosting the app on their service costs more and they can still charge if the customer wants to pay via Apple. Using Mastercard or visa has a % charge, so this could be applied. The 15/30% is quite steep, i’d say, and by charging for every download Spotify would think twice if they want to change as they offer a free service.

That would really hurt free apps with subscriptions as any updates would also be charged. In addition, hey could charge to host as well.

I agree. I am an app developer since 2012 and that is not the case. Apple has been very good to its developers since I have been part of the ecosystem. I would never want my apps on another store....Safe and Secure is where I like to be.

If I was a developer I'd be really worried about what the collateral damage will be to all developers from these actions. It may not be addressed to you, but get delivered to "Occupant."

I don’t get the argument here. Spotify’s position is that Apple must host their app on the App Store for free? That is the ask right? Let us put an app on your store and you host it but we get to keep 100 percent of the profit and you get $0.00 for hosting the app. Or is it incumbent upon Apple to lower their margins so Spotify can raise theirs. There is no reality where Apple hosts the apps on the App Store for free. My feeling is that too many of these little suits will force apple to start charging a monthly hosting fee for the App Store developers which will only stifle if not eliminate small developers who only want to develop an app.

A very good summary. Spotify wants access to Apple's user base for free, and have Apple cover the costs and facilitate it. If they really wanted too, they could simply make a web app and bypass Apple completely.

This isn't about lowering costs to consumers or fairness, it is a money grab.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
I don’t get the argument here. Spotify’s position is that Apple must host their app on the App Store for free? That is the ask right? Let us put an app on your store and you host it but we get to keep 100 percent of the profit and you get $0.00 for hosting the app. Or is it incumbent upon Apple to lower their margins so Spotify can raise theirs. There is no reality where Apple hosts the apps on the App Store for free. My feeling is that too many of these little suits will force apple to start charging a monthly hosting fee for the App Store developers which will only stifle if not eliminate small developers who only want to develop an app.

Spotify would probably say that its position is that they should be free to implement whatever in-app payment system they want.

Apple hosting apps "for free" is their conscious policy decision, probably partly necessitated by the fact that the App Store is the only way to get software on your iPhone if you're a consumer.

The App Store certainly provides a service to companies wanting to sell software, but it's not like providing apps isn't a mutually beneficial arrangement so Apple equally needs to be careful not to damage the platform. There's a reason Apple continues to give special treatment to the big hitters like Amazon. The iPhone is only as useful as the apps it runs. That's why the iPhone and Android succeeded and Windows Phone failed.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
So, how does this go?
EU fines Apple because Spotify is the largest most profitable Music service with the most amount of users something-cry-me-many-rivers-something or whatever. Part of those fines go to Spotify? EU keeps them? Does the Netherlands and Co join with their fines too and then what?

I never hear what the end goal will be, I’m starting to think that they need the money for their yachts and drug ridden parties with their crooked friends. Making it all too motivating to continue throwing regulations left and right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.