Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I trust Apple HR over any amount of media including this place any day of the week...they have full access to him and his history.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Actions like this just shift the conversaton from one extreme to the other.
In he past women did get treated poorly and that needed to change. But now even if you tell the truth, people find a ay to hate on it, if it's an inconvenient truth.

Apple does have gender and minority hiring quotas now. Which is disappointing as this only breeds toxicity within the workplace. Apple will not change as they are proud of having these toxic quotas.

I don't know this guy from Job, maybe he is a real jerk, but I find it hard to believe that a company like Apple didn't know exactly what they were getting into and didn't have a plan to deal with it show everyone why they made the hire in the first place. Why did they lose their nerve so quickly?
I agree with you. Why hire him then fire him? It just feels like a political statement. If Apple really wanted to know his online history they would have researched it when he was a shortlisted candidate for the job before they hired him.

This sounds like they hired him and then he did his job in a way that doesn't gel with Apple's left wing agenda so they found an different excuse to fire him so it would not be "whoopsie we hired someone who is not on the left which further shows our political bias"

-----

This topic is under political news so political talk is allowed here as per the rules of this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: iHate You

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
In an interview with Vox in 2018, Garcia Martinez said, “most people don’t care about privacy. Media elites care about it, underemployed Eurocrats care about it. And the entire privacy-industrial complex -- there’s an entire set of very loud voices who are constantly beating the drum and building media careers around this.”

- Doesn't sound awfully in line with Apple's privacy stance.
I do not see anything wrong with that statement and it’s probably true. If it was false Facebook and other companies would not be around.

Reactions: ClevelandGuy

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
This is called Communist tyranny and currently from what I see about America, you all remind me of the USSR. America is now becoming what we all in the Soviet Union fought against - communist oppression.
The right is certainly doing its share as well, with voter suppression, laws designed to stifle speech, telling business owners they must fall inline with the party line, etc. For all their supposed hatred of communism they seem to like its approach quite well.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
The right is certainly doing its share as well, with voter suppression, laws designed to stifle speech, telling business owners they must fall inline with the party line, etc. For all their supposed hatred of communism they seem to like its approach quite well.
Read the Black Book of Communism and see why.. btw, I am from the former USSR and still live there to this day in the Republic of Ukraine. It’s not a paradise.

Reactions: Razorpit

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Read the Black Book of Communism and see why..

Yea, the labels matter less to some than getting the outcomes they want.

btw, I am from the former USSR and still live there to this day in the Republic of Ukraine. It’s not a paradise.

It will no doubt take a long time to undo all the damage done from decades of communist rule. Ideally the Ukraine will get into the EU which would help them a lot, IMHO. As the Breadbasket of Europe, along with steel, it has a lot of potential.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I did, and then I read other parts that were about women in general, where he views women as a commodity:
The fastest way to cheapen anything—be it a woman, a favor, or a work of art—is to put a price tag on it.
That's not the way I read that statement. You're making a logical leap to project that onto him, and choosing to interpret it as such. Self righteous indignation.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Maybe I'm in the minority, but maybe Apple employees have a right to tell their higher-ups that their hiring decisions are making their work environment uncomfortable?
That's a bunch of Special Snowflakes wanting Apple to make them a safe space, free from anything that might possibly offend them.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
It’s absolutely disgusting of you to make such a sweeping generalisation about women.
He's only partially wrong in that he's limiting the scope of his assessment to Bay Area women. I have a friend that lives in the Bay Area. I still remember a conversation we had, where he was try to Bay-splain to me how superior Bay Area people are, vs say people in the Midwest. I got a good chuckle out of it. South Park nailed it, as usual.

1621001941921.gif

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
This is called Communist tyranny and currently from what I see about America, you all remind me of the USSR. America is now becoming what we all in the Soviet Union fought against - communist oppression.
Communist tyranny is when the government tells you you cannot say something or that you need to act a certain way. These are private people and businesses deciding who they want to hire. I don't think you're saying that the government should force companies to hire certain employees.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
That's a bunch of Special Snowflakes wanting Apple to make them a safe space, free from anything that might possibly offend them.
If the "special snowflakes" are the ones making Apple rich, Apple is smart to be listening to them

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Nothing but trouble? Jesus. Staff complaining about things he said in the past. And who cares about a book. I would fire the staff which is obviously unfit to deal with the slightest amount of stress. If he's behaving now, then there is no case. People used to get hired because they can get a job done, not because they are particularly nice.
I agree. And let’s not kid ourselves here, Steve Jobs did a lot of bad things with his family and was not nice. I wonder if he would be canceled in today’s society.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I agree. And let’s not kid ourselves here, Steve Jobs did a lot of bad things with his family and was not nice. I wonder if he would be canceled in today’s society.
Probably not - there are certain people who can evidently do or say anything and are exempt from backlash. Dr Dre has been mentioned several times in this thread. Now compare the comments quoted from the book with this comment from him:

Barnes stated that he "began slamming her face and the right side of her body repeatedly against a wall near the stairway." Dr. Dre later commented: "People talk all this ****, but you know, somebody ****s with me, I'm gonna **** with them. I just did it, you know. Ain't nothing you can do now by talking about it. Besides, it ain't no big thing – I just threw her through a door."

Where was the outrage when he became associated with Apple?

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
Dr Dre has also acknowledged the mistakes of his past, apologized, and has tried to do better. That's the part that gets glossed over. The late Senator Byrd did some pretty bad things in his past, like joining the Klan. He apologized for his past, admitted it was a mistake, and then changed his ways. What I'm hearing here is that people want to be able to continue saying things that others find offensive, and then be immune from any pushback.

In the past, casual racism, sexism, homophobia etc were tolerated because many people felt they couldn't speak out. That has changed. How you speak in your home, among friends, or at your place of worship is one thing. How you speak at your workplace is another.

I will admit that Apple HR and/or executive leadership failed on this one. He shouldn't have been offered a position in the first place. And yes, some of the things Steve said back in the day would not be tolerated today. It's been over a decade since he passed.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Dr Dre has also acknowledged the mistakes of his past, apologized, and has tried to do better. That's the part that gets glossed over. The late Senator Byrd did some pretty bad things in his past, like joining the Klan. He apologized for his past, admitted it was a mistake, and then changed his ways. What I'm hearing here is that people want to be able to continue saying things that others find offensive, and then be immune from any pushback.

In the past, casual racism, sexism, homophobia etc were tolerated because many people felt they couldn't speak out. That has changed. How you speak in your home, among friends, or at your place of worship is one thing. How you speak at your workplace is another.

I will admit that Apple HR and/or executive leadership failed on this one. He shouldn't have been offered a position in the first place. And yes, some of the things Steve said back in the day would not be tolerated today. It's been over a decade since he passed.

Did he apologize to his estranged wife who says he abused her multiple times (after his apology)? How about an apology for getting his daughter into USC "all on her own" (after his $70 million donation - remarkably other people went to jail for this very thing)? How about for his blatant copyright infringement for his songs?

This guys entire life has been filled with one thing after another, yet he appears untouchable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.