Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
You mean the “illegals” who produce your food?
Probably since we pay "legals" to stay at home now. Speaking of food there are several mom and pop restaurants around me closing down, limiting hours, limiting orders because no one wants to/has to work. I guess by that logic they just need to go down to the border with a van and bring home a few people who will work for practically nothing?

Reactions: IllinoisCorn

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Thanks for actually providing a link.

The next question is how many of those new people are legal, productive members of society, versus illegals and refugees from third world countries? As @IllinoisCorn said, California is losing its middle class and I'll argue upper middle class.
Upper middle class for sure. Look at the moving rental truck rates and numbers.

That people are trying to argue otherwise is mind boggling to me.

California is a beautiful place to live if you can afford it.

But far left politics, over-regulation and excessive migration without means testing to determine whether migrants can afford to live there are turning the state into the land of rich and poor with a dwindling middle class.

Or maybe people love their rolling brown and blackouts. Lol. I'm sure some commenter will either try to blame the right for it or justify having their power go out for hours a day to "fight climate change."

lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Razorpit

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Upper middle class for sure. Look at the moving rental truck rates and numbers.

That people are trying to argue otherwise is mind boggling to me.

California is a beautiful place to live if you can afford it.

But far left politics, over-regulation and excessive migration without means testing to determine whether migrants can afford to live there are turning the state into the land of rich and poor with a dwindling middle class.

Or maybe people love their rolling brown and blackouts. Lol. I'm sure some commenter will either try to blame the right for it or justify having their power go out for hours a day to "fight climate change."

lol.
I just find it funny you just completely dismiss people who actually live here.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
I just find it funny you just completely dismiss people who actually live here.

The average cost of a home in the United States is roughly $300,000.00.

The average cost of a home in California is over $700K.

I'd be happy living in such exclusive company too.

The problem isn't the people who can afford the $700K home...the problem is the family of 2.5 kids and a dog that can't.

"I just find it funny you just completely dismiss people who actually live here."

Typical left coast---they think it's all about them.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Probably since we pay "legals" to stay at home now. Speaking of food there are several mom and pop restaurants around me closing down, limiting hours, limiting orders because no one wants to/has to work. I guess by that logic they just need to go down to the border with a van and bring home a few people who will work for practically nothing?

the problem with employment in the restaurant industry is that people aren’t willing to pay what it would cost for a meal if the employees were paid a decent wage

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
the problem with employment in the restaurant industry is that people aren’t willing to pay what it would cost for a meal if the employees were paid a decent wage
Not exactly. The restaurant industry isn’t suffering just because of ‘low pay’, it’s because of the inconsistency the most employees face with adjustable hours based on business fluctuation. Most people that are in the restaurant industry are not full-time, unless they are management. People are looking for stability and regulation when it comes to a schedule, and of course a decent wage. Plus, regardless of wage, restaurant workers are typically overworked, which is really important if they’re treated respectfully, employees will last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Razorpit

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The average cost of a home in the United States is roughly $300,000.00.

The average cost of a home in California is over $700K.

I'd be happy living in such exclusive company too.

The problem isn't the people who can afford the $700K home...the problem is the family of 2.5 kids and a dog that can't.

"I just find it funny you just completely dismiss people who actually live here."

Typical left coast---they think it's all about them.

What that article doesn't say, is what part of California those prices reflect. I have no doubt, places that are in nicer areas of Los Angeles County and down the coast are at those prices. But you can still find places outside the big areas that are not nearly that high and are actually in line with $300k.

I bet everyone wants to live on or near the hot areas, but sadly life is not like that.

Reactions: Khalanad75

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Reactions: Khalanad75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.