Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjruiz2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Did anyone else get kicked off their Apple ID randomly? On April 26, 2024 at around 7:56pm EST I was working on my MacBook Pro when suddenly I got a FaceTime pop up that Apple ID had randomly signed me out and close out my messages app and asked me to go into settings which I did and told me that I was blocked?! I had to unblock it using my computer password and then reset my Apple ID password in which I had to re-sign on to all my iOS devices. Seems very fishy. Anyone else?

Moderator Note:

Also see the discussion in the news thread:

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Yeah, exactly the same thing happened to me - suddenly started getting the "verify account" popup and all my devices were logged out. Had to do the same as you by resetting my password via my computer.
I've not had any 2FA alerts that I didn't recognise so I suspect it's a server issue at Apple, but still very annoying!

Shamgar

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
Same deal. No other alerts associated with it. Just a sudden security reset to my account. I figured it wasn't some issue with my account per se, but a system error on Apple's side. Or possibly something like a security response to a server-side attack.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Just happened to me too. Everything logged out and forced me to log back in to everything -- and also to change my password. Huge headache.

Reactions: katbel

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Yes! I have this too! I get the message: My Apple ID is locked for security reasons. To unblock it, you must verify your identity. I clicked on Unlock Account and it comes up with an "AAUIFollowUpExtension and wants to make changes. Enter your password to allow this." I have no idea what this extension is. Googling it brings 2 things. 1.) An old Reddit thread where someone responds that it is related to this extension: com.apple. AppleAccountUI.AAUIFollowUpExtension and 2.) it is also an Adobe extension- Adobe Acrobat User Interface. I do have Creative Cloud, but I don't think this is what this error is pertaining to. Anyone knows what this AAUIFollowUp extension really is?

And this happened at the same time as OP.

Reactions: rjruiz2

DSL Steve

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2005
Same here. Got all the same prompts already mentioned.

I stopped at the change password prompts.

Waiting to see if it gets corrected on Apple's server's side.

aca345

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Same here. Very weird. I stopped at the password reset step and rebooted and then directly found my way to the password reset function as I wasn’t sure if the original prompt was legitimate. Worked for a bit and then asked me again to log in. I’m not going to do another reset for now and just wait it out.

Reactions: rjruiz2

phoenixbt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
Just happened to me as well. Says my account is locked and I need to reset my password. Has anyone tried changing their password and does it fix the issue? Or is this just a server side issue?

JohnnyAppleseedTheLast

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
It has resolved the issue to an extent for now for me. I cannot use iMessage on the Mac however I can on iPhone. Seems like it may be best to wait a while if possible and hope for any development.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
I reset my password earlier because this led me into it I guess and now I cannot sign in at all. Do not change your password!

DSL Steve

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2005
Just happened to me as well. Says my account is locked and I need to reset my password. Has anyone tried changing their password and does it fix the issue? Or is this just a server side issue?
A few previous posters ^ said changing your password does not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.