Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
After resetting my password yesterday and logging in anew to all devices, I got another prompt this morning. Something must be going on. The lack of comment from Apple is worrying.
On Friday night, I was force logged-out of all my devices and needed to set a new password, and enter it on all devices.

Saturday last week AND overnight last night, I got prompts to reset my password as described in this article a few weeks ago. I hit “don’t allow” both times.

Did you get a password reset prompt this morning? Or was it the same pop up described in this thread?

Reactions: MoeR56

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
On Friday night, I was force logged-out of all my devices and needed to set a new password, and enter it on all devices.

Saturday last week AND overnight last night, I got prompts to reset my password as described in this article a few weeks ago. I hit “don’t allow” both times.

Did you get a password reset prompt this morning? Or was it the same pop up described in this thread?
After resetting my password yesterday and logging in anew to all devices, I got another prompt this morning. Something must be going on. The lack of comment from Apple is worrying.
Sorry to read you got it again
It implies that something has been hacked at Apple servers. I 'm aware about the hack that happened in March because yesterday I looked for explanations and read it on several reputable websites beside MacRumors
I wonder if what happened to all of us on Friday night or Saturday was the same hack more refined by the same perpetrators
APPLE SHOULD SAY SOMETHING , can't stay silent and ignore something like that!

Update: and if...if it was an apple experiment for AI coming soon on next devices, gone awry or just an experiment and we were the lab mice ?!

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
This morning it happened to my husband, who wasn't forced to go through the iCloud password resetting like me
He just got the prompt on his iPad
You need to sign in with your Appleid with the “allow” or “don’t allow” pop up
I told him to shut down the iPad and see: it's very similar to the March hack reported on MacRumors

He restarted after 30 min ~ and the pop up is gone and nothing happened

Last edited:

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
It implies that something has been hacked at Apple servers. I 'm aware about the hack that happened in March because yesterday I looked for explanations and read it on several reputable websites beside MacRumors
I wonder if what happened to all of us on Friday night or Saturday was the same hack more refined by the same perpetrators

Update: and if...if it was an apple experiment for AI coming soon on next devices, gone awry or just an experiment and we were the lab mice ?!
Is it possible that it’s some sort of mass attempt to access peoples’ iCloud accounts, which is triggering prompts and password resets? Doesn’t really seem like a “hack” necessarily.

Reactions: smoking monkey

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
Wow I heard about it too luckily for me I did not get hit by that problem but does suck it did happen to a lot of people

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
Apple is likely silent because they believe it helps protect their users. I would speculate that they do not have the full picture, that the attack is still ongoing, or they have to resolve it with a software update.

• Haha
Reactions: katbel and trusso

timmodugdale

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
Madison, WI
Did anyone else get kicked off their Apple ID randomly? On April 26, 2024 at around 7:56pm EST I was working on my MacBook Pro when suddenly I got a FaceTime pop up that Apple ID had randomly signed me out and close out my messages app and asked me to go into settings which I did and told me that I was blocked?! I had to unblock it using my computer password and then reset my Apple ID password in which I had to re-sign on to all my iOS devices. Seems very fishy. Anyone else?

Moderator Note:

Also see the discussion in the news thread:

yes!

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
Nearly 72 hours later and Apple has still not commented on the major iCloud account lock-out from Friday night/Sat morning. NOT a good look for them! But since software problems are more 'vague' than hardware problems in terms of troubleshooting, it looks like Cupertino still prefers to ignore problems and hope folks are too distracted to complain while playing with their animojis and fawning over 'titanium.'

I shudder to say it, but as a 30-year cybersecurity pro & Mac user for even longer, I really think Google is more trustworthy than Apple in some ways - at least when it comes to outreach at all levels, from end-users to the security community.

Sweet_Caroline

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2022
Earth
Even if this had locked you permanently out of iCloud, you'd still have local access to data on device. And even if Apple somehow could remote lock you out of your devices there would still be offline backups.

To me this is a reminder that backing up and having a plan for restoring your data is important.

What I find most disturbing is the lack of communication from Apple. Hopefully there will be something once the incident is resolved.
My daughter was locked out once and her phone kept saying to log into iCloud. Nothing was working including iMessages and her iCloud email. We got it working again, but it was such a pain, especially when she needed her emails for a project she was working with her classmates with.

Blueser100

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
CA
Happened to me as well. But then had an issue where I reset my Apple ID but not all my devices synced. So then I got locked out of my account a couple times, verified it, reset my password a couple times and everything appears fine. Strange.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
My advice, and you can take it or leave it, is to not just reset your password, but to change your Apple ID email to a brand new email that is not used for anything else.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Can you link to the article stating Apple servers were hacked? That is news to me.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Can you link to the article stating Apple servers were hacked? That is news to me.
It wasn't a server hacked but a phishing attack on multiple apple users. Reported but this very website

The article was later updated to clarify how the attack works. The prior version suggested that an Apple ID could be accessed should someone press "Allow" on one of the password request popups, but that is inaccurate. This is a complicated, multi-step attack that requires social engineering. Reported by KrebsOnSecurity as well

Apple not saying what's is going on, makes you think the worst.

abw2002

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
This is freaking ridiculous. I have multiple Apple devices and I can't use an older iPhone because it keeps telling me the account is locked. What the hell is going on at Apple lately? So freaking frustrating.

• Sad
Reactions: katbel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.