Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Bottom line this isn’t great news if you’re apple. It’s a massive failure. Stock should be going down based on this. One solution is Google ai that will be half baked with Apple with some devices using Siri and others this crap. The other is that Apple has nothing of its own.

For such an important feature to go asleep at the wheel and then say you’re going to use your main competitors beta ai is just bizarre. But it’s just a rumor.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tagbert

Dunkirk20

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
I think you all need to evaluate the situation Google finds themselves in before pointing the finger at Apple. We're beginning to see traditional search engines become superseded by services like Copilot and Perplexity. Google knows this and has their own LLM with real time internet access (Gemini). Unfortunately for them, most of the major players already have a head start in this space.

If Apple creates their own AI similar to Copilot, Google's stock price might crash depending on how and where Apple's AI is implemented, especially if Google loses its Default Browser status. Google is likely paying Apple to make the pivot to Gemini, not the other way around.

Cui bono?

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
Apple is known for piggy backing on other company's technology while refining their own product and then releasing it. The Motorola phone with iTunes built-in and the original iPhone's Google Maps. Masimo is going to find this out too.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Introducing: Goopple. Your privacy is our privacy. What goes on iPhone, gets distributed equal among faceless big tech for profit.
As soon as I heard about the possibility of Gemini use, my first and only thoughts were of PRIVACY. Talk about squaring the circle! Apple's keynote at WWDC will need some backflipping to discuss 'amazing' privacy out of one side of their mouth, while regurgitating all of your data out to Gemini with of the other.

The app privacy label for Apple's AI product will either be misleading, or missing.

PS: There's a bit of schadenfreude in watching Apple boxed out my Nvidia.

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I think you all need to evaluate the situation Google finds themselves in before pointing the finger at Apple. We're beginning to see traditional search engines become superseded by services like Copilot and Perplexity. Google knows this and has their own LLM with real time internet access (Gemini). Unfortunately for them, most of the major players already have a head start in this space.

If Apple creates their own AI similar to Copilot, Google's stock price might crash depending on how and where Apple's AI is implemented, especially if Google loses its Default Browser status. Google is likely paying Apple to make the pivot to Gemini, not the other way around.

Cui bono?

This took chapgpt billions and 12 years to do. You have to think of both Google and Apple as legacy companies here that missed the boat. At least Google recognized it right away. Apple? I don’t want to say panic mode but it sure feels like it. This is something I don’t even want. And if I did why wouldn’t i switch to Google? It makes much more sense to partner with Microsoft.

Some of us have been saying for years Apple is asleep as they fail to nail down any essential services. That it didn’t bode well for their future. Hello future. This rumor is like a crack in the window for Apple. Maybe Apple is waking up.

• Sad
Reactions: gusmula

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
I'm curious if Apple's implementation of Gemini would feature the same problematic inaccuracy of historical events and figures?
That'd be my worry. Gemini has shown that it was fed information by actual racists. Depicts Nazi soldiers as black men and the pope as an indian woman because it had been "taught" not to like white men. After apple's "mother nature" skit, I can only imagine what trash it (or any AI for that matter) will be loaded with even if Apple were to just license the AI tech. I tend to trust Apple a little more than Google but it isn't night and day by any means. Skeptical hippo is skeptical.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
First modem, second car, and now AI. Is the reality finally sinking in that even with $3T market value some things just can’t be done in a reasonable amount of time if at all?

Also, there goes Apple’s privacy moral high ground, which never existed in the first place. But I bet they will expand their “differential privacy” stunt even further to AI saying “uhh huh the AI can only process the data, every piece of data is securely stored in our servers”.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Can someone tell me what useful (daily) functionality Siri has today that it didn‘t have in 2011?

That can depend on "who" you ask.

The following is according to Microsoft Copilot:
2011: Siri was introduced with iPhone 4S and iOS 5, featuring voice commands, simple questions, and requests handling.
2012: Siri received expanded language support, sports scores, restaurant reservations, and movie times and ratings. Received ability to post to social media, read messages, and open apps.
2013: A redesigned interface, more natural-sounding voices, and system controls like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth toggling were added. More system controls were added including "iOS in the car."
2014: "Hey Siri" hands-free activation and Shazam music recognition were introduced.
2015: Siri gained proactive assistance, suggesting apps, and places, and more based on user habits.
2016: Siri was opened to third-party developers for app integration and received enhancements in voice recognition and contextual understanding.
2017: Introduction of a more expressive voice, translation capabilities, and on-device learning for a more personalized experience.
2018: Siri Shortcuts were introduced, allowing users to create custom voice commands to execute sequences of tasks.
2019: Siri received a new neural text-to-speech technology for a more natural voice.
2020: Siri’s knowledge was expanded, and it could send audio messages and share ETA with contacts.
2021: With iOS 15, Siri got offline support for certain requests and could share on-screen items in Messages.
2022: Siri added more contextual features and improved interoperability with smart home devices.
2023: The latest update includes the removal of the "Hey Siri" trigger phrase, allowing for a more natural "Siri" prompt, and the ability to process multiple commands without reactivation.

The following is according to Google Gemini:
2011: Initial launch with basic voice recognition and functionality, access to user information like calendar events and contacts.
2012: Siri expands to the iPad.
2013: Increased language support, including Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and Russian.
2014: Introduction of "Hey Siri" for hands-free activation. Siri reaches new markets like India and the Middle East.
2016: Siri opens up to limited third-party app integrations.
2017: New, more natural voice for Siri, ability to handle follow-up questions, language translation features, increased third-party app actions supported, option to type to Siri, and on-device learning for improved personalization.
2018: Shortcuts app integration allows for more customized Siri commands.
2019: Siri becomes more voice-controlled for broader phone functionalities.
2020: Increased focus on user privacy with on-device processing for many requests. Improved accessibility features.
2023: "Hey Siri" no longer mandatory, users can simply say "Siri" for activation. Ability to make multi-step requests without needing to re-activate Siri.

Reactions: Dunkirk20

MNWildFan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Apple has/had a car?!
I think a Chinese announced an electric car and not apple
Oh, the Apple Car project was long rumored for a looooong time

It unfortunately just wasn't meant to be, and I think for that side of things, they just keep things going where they are now with CarPlay, as that right there kind of in a way allows you to have an Apple car with having its stuff (projected from your iPhone) on your infotainment screen as oppposed to your vehicle manufacturers'

FineWoven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
That'd be my worry. Gemini has shown that it was fed information by actual racists. Depicts Nazi soldiers as black men and the pope as an indian woman because it had been "taught" not to like white men. After apple's "mother nature" skit, I can only imagine what trash it (or any AI for that matter) will be loaded with even if Apple were to just license the AI tech. I tend to trust Apple a little more than Google but it isn't night and day by any means. Skeptical hippo is skeptical.
Totally. If I were in one of the communities historically persecuted by any of the groups or figures portrayed by Gemini tech then I would consider it the biggest slap in the face to me and my people. When I first heard about that I genuinely had a feeling of what I can only describe as truly Orwellian pessimism. The two biggest tech conglomerates teaming up to serve that to every human on earth only makes that worse for me...

Reactions: MRMSFC and gusmula

dead.cell

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2014
Amerika
That can depend on "who" you ask.

The following is according to Microsoft Copilot:
<snip>

The following is according to Google Gemini:
<snip>
Yeah, I'll take the Microsoft Copilot response. More detailed, less vague, and better articulated imo.

After all the negative press Gemini has received, and rightfully so, over the last several weeks, I'm rather shocked Apple would have anything to do with Google's AI.
To add to that, Google's search results seem to be getting worse too. I've generally stuck with Google mostly because they were still showing up Bing time and time again, but if this trend continues, I may just switch back to trialing Bing again, given my own personal mixed results with it.

Besides, it's about time Google has had their feet to the fire when it comes to competition.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Apple must have completely missed the AI boat to consider partnering with Google and poor Gemini 😅

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North

Google's search results are dropping to Amazon levels (I see you bought a toilet seat last month, would you like to buy another?). Paid positioning, outright irrelevant results.

How the mighty have fallen.

The lousy part is despite being utter trash, Google results are still somehow better than Bing. It seems to me, there's a market for better search engines, but at the same time, I firmly believe search engines will start to fade and be replaced with AI queries instead. After all, why ask Google for pages on how to make a barvarian chocolate cake, when you can ask chatGPT and it will just give you the instructions you wanted without having to be slammed with banner ads, and information completely irrelevant to baking a cake.

Google's fall is being reflected in Gemini. Half baked garbage that's heavily skewed into the absurd.

Reactions: dead.cell

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
By late 2024:

Google pays Apple $20b for default search.

Apple pays Google $20b for Gemini

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Google's search results are dropping to Amazon levels (I see you bought a toilet seat last month, would you like to buy another?). Paid positioning, outright irrelevant results.

How the mighty have fallen.

The lousy part is despite being utter trash, Google results are still somehow better than Bing. It seems to me, there's a market for better search engines, but at the same time, I firmly believe search engines will start to fade and be replaced with AI queries instead. After all, why ask Google for pages on how to make a barvarian chocolate cake, when you can ask chatGPT and it will just give you the instructions you wanted without having to be slammed with banner ads, and information completely irrelevant to baking a cake.

Google's fall is being reflected in Gemini. Half baked garbage that's heavily skewed into the absurd.

Because it’s easier to search and find a credible source. Ai bots aren’t reliable. Useless.

• Disagree
Reactions: dead.cell

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Because it’s easier to search and find a credible source. Ai bots aren’t reliable. Useless.

I disagree. Just this morning was trying to find a website that would explain how to turn off all Siri Suggestions in MacOS. After several pages of Google results displaying of exactly NOT what I asked for (even using + and "" for keywords priority), I then asked ChatGPT to create me an applescript that would go through each application in Siri Suggestions and turn them all off. ChatGPT wrote me a script that I can schedule to run nightly, because Apple in their infinite wisdom won't let me just turn Siri Suggestions off completely, I have to watch for applications that get added to the list and manually turn them off.

So in this case, this "AI bot" was 100x more effective at providing me information for which Google fell on it's face not answering and providing useless information.

That's not even mentioning the paid results that appear at the top that only serve an advertiser, and not the user.

dead.cell

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2014
Amerika
Poor mindset.

This gap is quickly narrowing. Back when we were on what, ChatGPT3 with limited data beyond a certain time period, it was already doing a relatively decent job of summarizing products. For example, I had it spitting out recommendations for network switches dependent on the quantity of users, throughput, and other variables. The fact that it even advised considerations for PoE for phones, wireless APs, and cameras easily made it worthwhile for people who might not be a SME on the subject.

AI is rapidly growing, and the only time you'll see it fumble is when unprepared companies attempt to drive out their own iteration, which is what we saw with Gemini. Still, I'd be hard pressed to believe Gemini won't get better... but rather that it likely won't outpace OpenAI anytime soon.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Apple will learn the same lesson it did when it tried to create its own search engine. It's really hard and it's way better to let other companies pay to be on iOS. They make 20bn a year by doing nothing and letting Google be default search. they can make just as much by letting google or Microsoft pay for AI to be on iPhone. Anyone who looks at that, and says I am still going to invest billions in making my own in-house tech, does not know business.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

That can depend on what you are searching for but using AI can provide much faster and more "customized" results than trying to dig through search results and click through pages which may only have partial information and contain lots of other things you are not interested in.

AI isn't perfect but is improving and at a faster pace than some may realize. I used AI in my post above (#337) and it only took a few seconds for each (MS Copilot and Google Gemini) to provide an answer. I know I couldn't have come up with a customized answer like that nearly as quickly if I had used traditional search methods. Is the information unreliable? Maybe someone with detailed knowledge about the history of Siri can answer that.

Reactions: Ursadorable
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.