Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
They make 20bn a year by doing nothing and letting Google be default search. they can make just as much by letting google or Microsoft pay for AI to be on iPhone.

That is how it is for search (Google pays Apple to be default search on Safari) but do we know for sure it will also be true for AI? For example, does Google pay Samsung to put Gemini features on Galaxy S24 phones or is it the other way around, or neither (Samsung gets it for free - doesn't pay but isn't paid either)? What will it be in the future?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Can someone tell me what useful (daily) functionality Siri has today that it didn‘t have in 2011?
Which is the whole point of applying more modern AI to Siri to bring more intelligence to it. Sir was originally built in a way that made subsequent changes very difficult and Apple stopped trying. Now they are talking about something that amounts to a brain transplant.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
That'd be my worry. Gemini has shown that it was fed information by actual racists. Depicts Nazi soldiers as black men and the pope as an indian woman because it had been "taught" not to like white men. After apple's "mother nature" skit, I can only imagine what trash it (or any AI for that matter) will be loaded with even if Apple were to just license the AI tech. I tend to trust Apple a little more than Google but it isn't night and day by any means. Skeptical hippo is skeptical.
That take is a bit wide of the mark.

Due to how prominent white men are in published photos used as source materials, there has been a lot of criticism of AI generated images as being inherently racists and sexist in defaulting to white male images. As a result, those building the models have added in defaults to try to include more diversity by default. The result was a group of people (with a default racial variety) depicted wearing "nazi" outfits.

There was a similar incident where someone sent a prompt asking for an image of "the founding fathers" and it was also racially diverse. In digging further in that case, it was found and an earlier part of the prompt (that was not originally published) included instructions for racially diverse images. So the result was exactly what was requests, but it became a meme about how inaccurate AI images are.

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
You do know Google is actively building a quantum computer right? No smoke and mirrors, it’s actually doing it. And AI exists, where is the ‘BS’ in it all?
Yep. And to what purpose? they don't even know.
it's all pointless ways to generate funding. it's not going to help you colonize Mars, or improve human lives in any way.
And you'd have to have pretty loose and forgiving definition of "intelligence" to believe that actual "AI" exits.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
That is how it is for search (Google pays Apple to be default search on Safari) but do we know for sure it will also be true for AI? For example, does Google pay Samsung to put Gemini features on Galaxy S24 phones or is it the other way around, or neither (Samsung gets it for free - doesn't pay but isn't paid either)? What will it be in the future?

Good question. Apple sees itself as the prize with a couple of billion users. You want access you pay up.

However Apple needs this service to compete. Who needs who more. And also can this new ai that Apple integrates be used on existing devices. If not then they don’t have a couple of billion devices to leverage in their negotiations.

It’s a good quandary because apple obviously wants people to upgrade devices to use this. And this is what excites analysts. Something that spawns a supercycle of iPhone upgrades.

But what a pickle. Apple has to sell Google ai at its event. It begs the question if it’s a must have then why not get a Google device that probably has better integration.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Could this Google Gemini deal be about the money Apple will receive from Google??
Tim Cook said something to the affect that Apple has been working on AI for years spending billions of dollars……So why do they need Google
If this materializes then everyone’s privacy and info will be at risk

Reactions: Ursadorable

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Good question. Apple sees itself as the prize with a couple of billion users. You want access you pay up.

However Apple needs this service to compete. Who needs who more. And also can this new ai that Apple integrates be used on existing devices. If not then they don’t have a couple of billion devices to leverage in their negotiations.

It’s a good quandary because apple obviously wants people to upgrade devices to use this. And this is what excites analysts. Something that spawns a supercycle of iPhone upgrades.

But what a pickle. Apple has to sell Google ai at its event. It begs the question if it’s a must have then why not get a Google device that probably has better integration.

True, although it wouldn’t be the first time Apple had to "sell" use of a competitor's product/service. Jobs had to sell making IE the default browser on Macintosh in 1997 as Apple didn't even get into the browser game until 2003. Apple had to sell making Google the default search on Safari, and Apple still isn't in the web search market at this point.

How good or bad this potentially is (still only in talks or a rumor at this point) will depend on the financial arrangement between Apple and Google, how integrated Gemini is into the phone, what Apple does on its own going forward, etc.

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
If you develop a truly great search product it:
1) costs money you have to recover, and
2) you eventually wind up with a boatload of user data.

The natural temptation is to monetize the data to pay for the search, after all, nobody is making money selling search (at least not on a mega-corp scale).

By pointing their users to Google search and collecting a portion of the earnings those searches make for Google, Apple gets the benefit of (arguably historically anyway) the best search for their users without having to do the nasty things with user data that pay for the cost of that capability.

Could Apple have a great search option? Without doubt they could. But I think they have looked at what they would need to do to pay for it and have balked.

I think the same thing is true of AI. They can't figure out how to monetize it without doing things they said they would not do. They want steak but do not want to run a slaughter house.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunkirk20

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Let me be clear.. search engines are going to be depreciated and replaced with AI queries, and probably not that far in the future. Google knows this, Microsoft knows this, and so do most of the people that are paying attention.

The issue then becomes, choosing an AI that hasn't been hamstrung with biased injections. Google has clearly proven that it's the MOST biased of all AI thus far.

Reactions: txscott

Tito360

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2021
Mind giving us all what makes you think that?

AI isn't going anywhere. It's largely a marketing gimmick but the actual tech is real and extremely promising/dangerous however you want to look at it.
What will AI do for you ?

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Tim Cook said something to the affect that Apple has been working on AI for years spending billions of dollars……
Tim Cook busy operating in damage control mode right now regarding A.I.
(side note: …and a couple other acronyms: EU, ECJ, DMA, DOJ, CAR…)
So why do they need Google
The state and capabilities of their current natural language processing A.I. assistant - after having invested years and probably billions in it - suggests they may need Google to provide a competitive product rather soon.

Last edited:

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
If you develop a truly great search product it:
1) costs money you have to recover, and
2) you eventually wind up with a boatload of user data.

The natural temptation is to monetize the data to pay for the search, after all, nobody is making money selling search (at least not on a mega-corp scale).

By pointing their users to Google search and collecting a portion of the earnings those searches make for Google, Apple gets the benefit of (arguably historically anyway) the best search for their users without having to do the nasty things with user data that pay for the cost of that capability.

Could Apple have a great search option? Without doubt they could. But I think they have looked at what they would need to do to pay for it and have balked.

I think the same thing is true of AI. They can't figure out how to monetize it without doing things they said they would not do. They want steak but do not want to run a slaughter house.

The question is, will specific AI features potentially being considered for the iPhone be monetized by Google (or anyone else) in the same way or level that search has been? Will it actually be like search where Google pays Apple or will Apple have to pay? What’s the longer term expectation? All of this will help determine whether or not Apple having its own AI for its devices is better or worse than using Google or another company for AI.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
This is disappointing. I was hoping Apple would develop their own. I thought they'd been working on it. And I definitely will have every AI feature disabled if Google is the backend of it.

Reactions: pappl

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
This is disappointing. I was hoping Apple would develop their own. I thought they'd been working on it. And I definitely will have every AI feature disabled if Google is the backend of it.
Some of that AI manipulation will have been done before, (and after), it reaches you........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.