Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Apple realizes that Google has arguably the largest dataset available, therefore their AI will be far superior than what Apple could ever produce. What doesn’t make sense and it concerning is all of this “hype” Tim Cook made for Apple’s AI and all of this supposed R&D money Apple made towards AI. Moreover, with this news, this shows how Apple isn’t doing anything to innovate on its’ own.

• Sad
Reactions: HazeAndHahmahneez

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I think this is not bad news. Particularly if it helps Apple get up to speed on AI integration faster. If they can leverage Google’s work for a portion of the AI buildout, that makes a lot of sense. Google is good at services infrastructure and they already have a relationship with Apple. Apple could make a deal with OpenAI or Microsoft, but if it works out better with Google, that would be no big surprise.

Apple will need to build a lot of AI elements into their OS and apps and I expect it to be fairly modular based on how their Os and the libraries are setup. Some of that will be tightly integrated with each app or OS feature. Other parts will be a more discrete feature like web search, content generation, image generation, etc. That portion will certainly need to be mostly server-based and would be relatively easy to implement as a service hosted by someone like Google. The more integrated AI function (AI glue?) are more likely to be done on device. Those kinds of integrations are similar to what Apple has been doing for several years under the name machine learning. By building on their intents interfaces and the APIs built out for ShortCuts they can connect more features and make them easier to use with smaller scale, locally processed AI.

Siri would probably benefit from both the local, integrated AI and the server-based AI. i would expect layers of LLM style AI to understand users’ requests, interpret the intent of those requests, and find matching services to fulfill those requests. A Gemini-style AI on the server would likely supply a good chunk of that fulfillment.

Assuming that Apple does do a deal with Google for an AI, I would not consider this Apple giving up on AI. It is more likely a way to get into the game faster in a way where they can continue to do their own development in the background as they learn and eventually replace that service with their own. The precedent would be something like Maps where Apple partnered with a strong partner/competitor until they were able to build out their own offering. Hopefully they can judge the readiness better in this case.

Some people have expressed concern about privacy with this new move toward AI. That is certainly something to keep in mind and watch out for. Apple will certainly do local processing wherever possible, but it was inevitable that they would need to do server processing for at least some functions. I would expect them to maintain their end-to-end encryption and privacy protections even as they build this out. In a partnership with Google, I would expect Apple to write in privacy protections into the agreement to ensure that Google doesn’t have free rein to inspect and use the data that they are entrusted with.

This is just the early stages of a new direction for computing that offers are lot of benefits and also offers a lot of challenges. I find it fascinating and am eager to see where this goes.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Has Apple tried to pull a wool over our eyes about it having its own Apple AI?

The broad use of "AI" in these articles gives readers the wrong impression. There are many sub-categories of AI that are more meaningful. AI is not just one thing. In fact, the vast majority of what we know as AI is actually ML (machine learning) and much of that is not "intelligent" at all, so can't really be called Artificial Intelligence.

True intelligence is where machines truly do think for themselves, unattended, unsupervised, making decisions based on new input that they've never seen before, learning from their mistakes. Yes, much of this crosses over into how machine learning works, but once you add true autonomy into the mix, well... game over for humans.

Reactions: Tagbert

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
Something’s wrong
Tim Cook said something to the effect that Apple has invested billions in AI and now they’re running to use Googles Gemini AI
what gives ??????
And different AI models do different things. It’s to early to get yer knickers in a twist, considering this article is an unsubstan rumor.

Reactions: Tagbert

gold333

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Can someone tell me what useful (daily) functionality Siri has today that it didn‘t have in 2011?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
therefore their AI will be far superior than what Apple could ever produce.

Remember Google thinking that Apple could never replace Google Maps? Did take a long time for Apple Maps to be competitive.

this shows how Apple isn’t doing anything to innovate on its’ own.

Possible, but we won't know for sure until they tell us what they are doing and where they are.

jfreedle2

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2022
uh, nothing. Google just has a massive edge in AI over most of the market. Its not heretical to partner up with other companies that can help cover your shortcomings.
The only thing Google has an edge in is selling user’s data to advertisers and bypassing privacy settings to sell their data.

jfreedle2

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2022
It is happening, insiders quoting this will generate profit yearly near 75% of what Google is paying Apple now to be the default search engine.

Shareholders..rejoice!
And customer’s data will be at risk due to Google’s selling of their data.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'm literally on an iPhone to avoid that google machine as much as possible. If I wanted android tech, I'd buy that.

Apple needs to get it together.

Yep. A strange move. Ai or Siri is iOS integrated. Moving to Google isn’t trivial. And it screws with its brand big time. Good luck selling this at wwdc. Now you have a Google phone?

jfreedle2

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2022
The thing is: Apple has had their AI product in the marketplace for 12+ years.
They've presented the promise of AI that'll understand your voice and language in 2011.

If the current state of their AI product isn't an indication of how far they've fallen behind - what is?

NFC payments are relatively simple technology and can be implemented inexpensively.
Whereas they've failed at making niche technology (Siri) mainstream for over a decade.

How?

When you search for something in Safari, Google can serve you ads on their results page.
Do you really believe that iOS 18' new AI features are just going to take serve you Google ad as a result? 🤣
Google does not provide any search results when I search in Safari, and never will. I am looking forward to Google being shutdown.

• Haha
Reactions: Apollo68

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Apple realizes that Google has arguably the largest dataset available, therefore their AI will be far superior than what Apple could ever produce. What doesn’t make sense and it concerning is all of this “hype” Tim Cook made for Apple’s AI and all of this supposed R&D money Apple made towards AI. Moreover, with this news, this shows how Apple isn’t doing anything to innovate on its’ own.

It goes deeper than that. Siri is used on every Apple device. HomePods. Apple Watch. Vision Pro.

Replacing with Google? Can it even be done?

This is desperation from Apple. And my guess it wouldn’t even be better than what we have now. Or we’re reading too much into this and it’s simply going to be a crap google ai app add on.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
uh, nothing. Google just has a massive edge in AI over most of the market. Its not heretical to partner up with other companies that can help cover your shortcomings.

Yeah. Not strange at all to partner up with your main competitor to offer an ai feature that you missed the boat on.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Something’s wrong
Tim Cook said something to the effect that Apple has invested billions in AI and now they’re running to use Googles Gemini AI
what gives ??????

It depends on what using Google Gemini involves. A stand alone app is one thing and really not worthy of much attention. iOS integration would seem a nightmare. It’s not just iOS that uses Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.