Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2022
IMHO I wouldn’t use a Google AI on my device. It’s one of the main reasons I went over to Apple. If they just buy the tech and run in solely as an Apple service, sure. But that’s Apple copping out and not doing it themselves.

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
Apple is all in the AI basket now as they ditched/canned there Big Car project and 5G modem project, which cost them billions by buying Intel and Self driving technology.

AI is obviously the future and will tie in big to the Vision Pro and iPhone
The S24 uses Google AI. and later will charge you to edit the photos with those tools

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
im surprised to see Apple licensing out a potential iPhone service. not sure this is good news for the company. surprised to see the stock up.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Apple is not running, they are apparently talking to Google to get its loser Gemini on iPhones; the world is not perfect. I tried generative AI, it is very boring to ask algorithms to make me this or make me that. Gemini really is for zombies/android-users.

What do you call an Android user who uses AI to generate a picture? An artist.
As you said, Gemini is a loser product. Apple tried to develop an AI product. Apparently, it failed. So, it went after a loser product according to you. Who is the bigger loser here?

You could have spun it differently. Since Gemini is a loser product and Apple is about to unveil the best-in-class AI product, it must have gone to Google to tell it that they can use Apple's product to make Gemini better. You like this story better? /s

FineWoven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
I'm curious if Apple's implementation of Gemini would feature the same problematic inaccuracy of historical events and figures?

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
What do you call an Android user who uses AI to generate a picture? An artist.
The same thing you call an iPhone user who uses AI to generate a picture? Or do you think iPhone users do not use generative AI to generate pictures?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
really a turnoff for me when considering upgrading to ios18 ... or, upgrading to a 16PM or later for that matter

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
It’d be nice if I needed ai on my phone. I kinda don’t want it. I can’t think of anything beyond timers or play a song I’ve used Siri for no matter what they add to it. I don’t really want it anticipating what I want because it’s usually wrong. I don’t want to have conversations with my phone.

It’s all a gimmick anyways. Takes longer to use then simply doing it yourself.

I read an article about “help” ai assistant on Amazon. That looked like a pain. The new clippy. It’s not helpful unless you’re brain dead and like wasting your time.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
Please no…no google ever. None zilp zilch nada enchalada por favor

Wish they would just bug off and go annoy just themselves.
$18 billion.

carl.jpg

Reactions: HazeAndHahmahneez

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
On the other hand Apple will never formally apologize for Siri getting bad press and being the butt of never ending jokes, memes and “I found this on the web” scorn.
I found an all new problem with Siri this weekend. My OG HomePod in my bedroom started speaking in a completely different voice and accent than what I had set up years ago. Not only that, depending on the response, like weather or translations, it changes, sometimes speaking in a male American voice and other times in a female British accent.

Apple has only had like 10 or 12 years to improve Siri but this is what happens when you inherit a business so successful you feel like you only need to go through the motions. I’m looking at you Tim and exec team.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
It won’t paint a clear picture on user privacy if Apple implement their own first-party AI for on-device processing and license Gemini for cloud processing — how do they make it obvious when each one is being used?

Green bubbles and blue bubbles of course!
Apple has expertise in this area.

Reactions: SebCohen

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Apple has completely missed the AI train. It’s probably gonna hurt them enormously in the long run.
Everyone has missed the AI train except for OpenAI. This is exactly what happens every time a new technology begins to disrupt a legacy market. We do not know the winners and losers but we do know that there are no winners and losers yet. Anything can happen over the next 5-10 years.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Isn't the main reason for buying overpriced Apple stuff not having your privacy invaded by Google?

It's for getting less ads and certainly worse target ads.

I don't have any problems with Google having information about me as long as they don't use it to show me ads.

TJFDenver

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2024
It's for getting less ads and certainly worse target ads.

I don't have any problems with Google having information about me as long as they don't use it to show me ads

Experience has taught me … what’s promised today … isn’t the same as what’s delivered tomorrow

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Isn't this kind of hypocritical of Apple? They are basically saying "We" do not collect your data, but our partners may as long as they pay us.

Google doesn't collect any more information than if you went to their website manually.

Things which aren't very personal to me: IP address, search terms, operating system, hardware device, browser type, maybe they collect some resolution size and what fonts you have installed.

Last edited:

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
It is happening, insiders quoting this will generate profit yearly near 75% of what Google is paying Apple now to be the default search engine.

Shareholders..rejoice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.