Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
How will Google collect the 18B if Apple remvoes Google as the default search engine and makes Bing or DuckDuckGo as the default? Even I am interested to know this. I am pretty sure even Google would like to know this too so that they can save the $18b per year fee.
Huh? Safari is just a portal to the web, to websites. Google is already serving ad on websites. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Search is for collecting data, not for serving ad.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
Apple has completely missed the AI train. Itā€™s probably gonna hurt them enormously in the long run.
Or, it's the wrong train and Apple are quite happy standing on the platform waiting for the next one.

Every interaction I've had with AI has been at best emotionless, banal and facile. At worst, it's been plain wrong.

Reactions: gusmula

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Huh? Safari is just a portal to the web, to websites. Google is already serving ad on websites. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Search is for collecting data, not for serving ad.
Please clarify if you think that Google will serve ads on the web even if Bing is the search engine? So, if I change the default search engine on my Safari to Bing, will I see Google Ads or Bing Ads?

Reactions: M3gatron

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Not the OS, but to use their services GMS (Google Mobile Services).

In other areas, it charges diffrently.
Thatā€™s quite fascinating!!
The EU wouldnā€™t allow Google to charge for an alternate os install that allowed alternate browsers and default search engines. Unless they charged for all os installs through the EU.

The idea that the os is free to manufacturers is irrelevant to the EU. Android is a gateway and will be forced to comply on every version of their os in the EU.

Reactions: Beautyspin

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I think there is a problem with our discussion. You keep understanding things wrong. If Google is not the default search engine, it cannot serve ads in the results. That is what gives it revenue which it shares with Apple. It does not need the data.
The ad for search is one thing but you assume thatā€™s just only one revenue from Safari which I think iswrong. Id imagine they include every ad theyā€™re getting from Safari from search and otherwise. Thatā€™s why the number is so big.
In any case, according to Apple, Google should not be getting any data because of its ATT. Are you telling use that Apple's ATT, which it promotes highly, is a fraud?
As for ATT itā€™s for tracking across the devices, not the web as far as I understand. I donā€™t think Apple can prevent Google to know what the search is, right?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Not sure how much AI I want on my iPhone, particularly if it comes from Google. I just quit Fitbit to avoid having to make a Google account. I'd want a way to block Google from getting any information about me.

Reactions: jcarcinogen

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
So Google charges Android manufacturers to use their os and put Google search at the heart of 90% of phones. One would wonder why quid pro quo doesnā€™t come into effect here.

Obvs when it comes to hardware I agree. I was talking about software

They charge for the Google Mobile Services license but that was just one of many items I listed. My point was that Google charges for a number of things, including many of the same types of things Apple does.

Additionally, Apple has shifted from charging for various software items to offering them for "free." MacOS upgrades used to cost money but are now "free." GarageBand, iMovie, Keynote, Pages and Numbers all used to cost money but are now "free." Yes, these software items typically (some can be accessed through iCloud without an Apple device) require an Apple device which costs money but this is still a shift from when Apple directly charged for the software. Apple also used to give away software like Safari for Windows (2007 to 2012) for free that didn't require paying for an Apple device.

Google isn't the only one in the "free" software game as Apple is and has been for many years too. Also, if Apple were to get into the web search business, I imagine they'd operate similarly to Google, Bing, etc.

Reactions: gusmula

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
I doubt that very much, because that would be linking to google search which already exists. What would Gemini add?

In all likelihood, Gemini's response will be in audio just as Siri, but perhaps differentiated in some way (different voice, or a Gemini intro?)

Time will tell.
I was be marginally sarcastic. In the car I only use Siri for loading directions. Far too often when asked a question while driving she replies, ā€œCheck it out.ā€ At home Alex is perfect for me. I fired Siri long ago.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Yuck. I donā€™t like Google or their biased AI. I definitely donā€™t want Apple sending any of my information to Google. The Chat AI is mostly a parlor trick anyway.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Makes sense. Apple are way behind everyone else. OpenAI/Microsoft and Google are at the top. Apple might be working on their own model/infrastructure but it's NOT going to be ready for iOS 18 later this year. Maybe iOS 19 next year.

So yeah it's not surprising if they want to work with others until they scale up themselves.

I don't see Apple working with Microsoft and getting access to OpenAI so Google really is the only option for them.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Ah, no. Even OpenAI's ChatGPT is a way better solution, especially given the disastrous initial rollout of Gemini AI.
Apple isn't getting near OpenAI as long as Microsoft are invested in them. MS invested over $11 billion so I don't think Microsoft wants to give Apple any of it lol.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
I meant 36% of 18 billion isnā€™t 6,400B?
Sorry, 18b is 36%. I got confused with the placement of comma (,). In our region, it means six thousand four hundred billion. We use dot (.) to denote decimals. So, I would have understood if you had said 6.400 billion. In any case the total revenue is not 18b, it is the 36% of the total Safari revenue. Apologies.

ChedNasad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
I really dont want either company's product on my phone tbh. Much prefer the relative privacy afforded by Apple's implementations of various features and AI would be no different. If either technology gets rolled into something like Siri hopefully it at the very least is an instance on a server separate from others with adjustments made to improve privacy and isolate user data such that Google or Open AI cant scoop it up.

• Haha
Reactions: krspkbl

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Think AI will fail
Mind giving us all what makes you think that?

AI isn't going anywhere. It's largely a marketing gimmick but the actual tech is real and extremely promising/dangerous however you want to look at it.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
If this is true, Tim Cook completely missed the boat on the next big thing and has to resign. Steve Jobs left him Siri, years ahead of Alexa and a decade ahead of chatGPT. It was incredible for its time. Tim couldn't see it. He left it, paid it no attention, until we got to the point where we are now and conversational UI is obvious to everyone and he finally sees it.

Steve's biggest gift was being a visionary. He could see how technologies would converge and how society would use them, years and decades in advance. Tim Cook is a very competent operations guy. The risk to Apple is that he wouldn't see what's coming and when it got here, Apple would be behind. What I said more than a year ago:

Like the transition from a cursor based UI to multi-touch, a transition from touch to voice UI is imminent. Thatā€™s not to say that touch will go away, only that voice UI will become effortless and very prominent. When multi touch appeared, people still continued to use cursor based UIs on Mac for example, but itā€™s inarguable that a vast majority of ā€computerā€ users today use multi-touch devices.

The same will happen with voice UI. All three of Appleā€™s newest categories: Apple Watch, AirPods and HomePod use voice primarily with the latter devices using it incrementally more than the first.

I ended with this:

No exaggeration, if Tim Cook underestimated Siriā€™s importance to the future of the company and drops the ball on this, it could be his Steve Balmer vs iPhone moment.

Unfortunately, this is proving true.

Last edited:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
1. Did I REALLY need to begin the post with ā€œIf this is true, thenā€¦ā€ (No, I didnā€™t, because it would be obvious to anyone with common sense, but thanks for the troll.)

2. Itā€™s coming from Bloomberg/Mark German, so itā€™s a rumor likely based on solid intel. And it sounds more than believable. This is exactly what Apple has done in the past in areas where they were lacking.
You said that it was ā€˜concrete evidenceā€™. What else does that mean? Itā€™s a rumour. Itā€™s not concrete at all.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Thatā€™s quite fascinating!!
The EU wouldnā€™t allow Google to charge for an alternate os install that allowed alternate browsers and default search engines. Unless they charged for all os installs through the EU.

The idea that the os is free to manufacturers is irrelevant to the EU. Android is a gateway and will be forced to comply on every version of their os in the EU.
Yes, they made this change to satisfy the EU. Earlier, they were giving away some of the Google services free. Now they charge a lumpsum for all their services per devices to circumvent the "self-preferencing" charge.

ChedNasad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
Apple isn't getting near OpenAI as long as Microsoft are invested in them. MS invested over $11 billion so I don't think Microsoft wants to give Apple any of it lol.
Why would Micrososft be worse than Google in this way? Google has Android and Chromebooks which both are in their own ways bigger threats to Apple than anything Microsoft is producing right now in the consumer market. I think Microsoft is more than happy to have services/software that are being used on other OSes. Office is a prime example as well as their move to go cross platform with their games with Xbox. Additionally they have a pretty big interest in things like Azure right now too. Windows is starting to be their least important product and they have no skin in the phone game. To me it seems like a much clearer win-win and way to edge out Google from overtaking Open AI's current lead in the space.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I really dont want either company's product on my phone tbh. Much prefer the relative privacy afforded by Apple's implementations of various features and AI would be no different. If either technology gets rolled into something like Siri hopefully it at the very least is an instance on a server separate from others with adjustments made to improve privacy and isolate user data such that Google or Open AI cant scoop it up.
If you're so worried about Google you should probably leave the internet. You seriously need to try very hard and go out of your way to avoid Google if you use the internet (trust me I tried it).

Apple could make a deal with them to protect privacy but let's not kid ourselves on here...Apple doesn't care about your privacy. If they did then they'd not use Google as their default search engine. All Apple cares about is money and they can try fool everyone thinking they are a privacy focused company. If you think they are then you fell for the marketing ********.

You don't use anything Apple, Google, Microsoft if you care about privacy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.