Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Why would Micrososft be worse than Google in this way? Google has Android and Chromebooks which both are in their own ways bigger threats to Apple than anything Microsoft is producing right now in the consumer market. I think Microsoft is more than happy to have services/software that are being used on other OSes. Office is a prime example as well as their move to go cross platform with their games with Xbox. Additionally they have a pretty big interest in things like Azure right now too. Windows is starting to be their least important product and they have no skin in the phone game. To me it seems like a much clearer win-win and way to edge out Google from overtaking Open AI's current lead in the space.
Fair argument. Microsoft wants to control everything. In the console market they are drifting away from exclusive hardware for their games and bringing them to Playstation.

I guess I just thought it was too soon to start letting their major competition use products they are investing heavily in. Maybe in the future Microsoft wouldn't mind letting Apple use OpenAI.

Depends how much of a long game MS are playing. You're probably right though but I guess there is a reason why Apple isn't in talks with OpenAI. Who knows?

dschmitty-o

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
Imagine having spent $10BN on AI that "just works" instead of on a car project that was way beyond Apple's core competencies. Or maybe not AI, but on making Siri actually functional.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
The ad for search is one thing but you assume that’s just only one revenue from Safari which I think iswrong. Id imagine they include every ad they’re getting from Safari from search and otherwise. That’s why the number is so big.

As for ATT it’s for tracking across the devices, not the web as far as I understand. I don’t think Apple can prevent Google to know what the search is, right?
Google does not make money off of search terms. Google needs to get the identifiers so it should know data such as the location, and any other identification stuff. They will anonymize the stuff and group them into demographics. That is currently not possible with ATT. Also, how ill the customers know if the ad has been successful or not? Earlier, Google was able to collect that information and tell them how successful the ad has been. Now ATT makes it difficult for Google, Facebook and others to do that. The only company that could do both is Apple on iOS devices as the ATT rules are not applicable for Apple.

To cut a long story short, Google can only make money by being the search engine (default or otherwise) because it needs to serve ads to users. It cannot get any data that is useful from Apple because Apple reserves that data for itselves. So, No, Data is not the reason why Google pays Apple for being the default search engine.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Actually S24's series sales saw a decent jump vs previous generation and the user reception to these new AI feature was positive so it's a guarantee Samsung, Google and the rest of the Android OEM will double their efforts in respects to AI.
Perhaps a decent jump but they sold 12m S23 Ultras last year out of global sales figures of 1.3bn devices. Thats about 1%. The 15 Max made up nearly 2% of sales figures with only a 3-month window. In the first half of 2023 the 14 Max had done 26m in sales alone.

Samsung's top devices are good handsets but they're not in the top-10. Its their budget models that do the business for them. Its too early to tell if AI is a selling point for street consumers but then again it hasn't helped Google in 2 years.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
In the long run, I believe that Google will beat Open AI as Google does have the most expertise in this field, despite their failed AI attempt.

So it could not be a bad idea for Apple to rely on Google in the end.
Yuck. Simply based on recent issues with Gemini, I’d rather have openAI on Apple devices if necessary.

Reactions: Schnauzer World

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
Wait, I thought Apple said they had their own 30B param model they were going to release that would blow everyone else out of the water? So, was that a lie and they need to the help of outside forces to even catch up? What the heck @Apple?

Reactions: tomtad

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
I’m not sure why people are so surprised by this

Apple have failed on so much in recent years

Siri
cars
AI
XR headset
iPadOS
iphone design
modems
privacy
arcade

etc etc I could go on.

They just churn out the same stuff every year for the sheep but that won’t cut it now, AI is the buzz and android has it while iOS has another pointless button on the way AGAIN.

Reactions: Beautyspin

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Gemini is the dumbest AI I have ever used. Ideology is driven so deep into that AI that it would not show me easy accesible data because it said it was bad. Facts were bad. I wouldn’t trust that AI for anything. I thought people were joking but it’s an ideological AI in a way that is dystopian. It’s surreal asking it questions and then telling you the answers are unhealthy. And this was just epidemiological and sociological data that is well known. Futurists never imagined the singularity would result in the most ideologically rigid and handicapped AI taking over. It’s funny and sad.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Rofl. Siri is so bad that Apple has to go to a competitor it's long demonized for privacy violations to improve it. 🤣🤣🤣

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
This is terrible news. Did everyone simply forget the already failed Google Barf I mean Bard? Then the exposed racism of Gemini that was made public only a few weeks ago? I feel like I'm living in another dimension. Am I the only one that knows about this or remembers? Is this what you all want on your phone?

And to think, racism was THE EASY thing to discover. Who knows what other biases are hidden in this completely misnamed "AI".

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Copium 🤣

Hate to break it you folks but Apple is the one shopping around for a REAL AI and not more garbage like Siri from their software teams, they’ve gone crawling to Google to save iOS 18 and iPhone 16.

And yes Gemini nano is better for mobiles than chatgpt, circle to search, magic eraser, audio eraser, wallpaper generator etc etc all clever gimmicks for the simple apple users.
Do you have inside intel or are you just this intelligent?

macford

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
This is one area where I wish Steve Jobs could have been around to help guide Apple. Siri was just starting out when he passed away and I would have loved to see how he could have guided the product as it matured. His knack for knowing what people wanted and pushing engineers to deliver it would have been helpful instead of the languishing on the 1.0 version of Siri that we have today. Granted he didn't do it in ways that were healthy to his employees but from a visionary aspect I would have loved to see what it could have become under his guidance.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
No, it describes Google's Gemini perfectly, and who uses Gemini...android users...ergo the typical Android user be like🤪
Is that why Apple is running to Google for getting its so-called loser product Gemini on its phone? If you are desperate for a "loser product" what are you? A winner? You have a strange definition for winner.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

everybodylovesramen

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2021
if they bake in google AI into iOS i’ll just go back to a flip phone - unless they make phones free for having our data scraped and sold they shouldn’t be selling the phones to do it on.

Reactions: maxoakland

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
With due respect, that comment represents lazy analysis. It is important to note that Apple has utilized advanced AI technology to power its personal voice accessibility features and Vision Pro persona. While there may be areas where Apple can improve, it is not accurate to say that the company has failed to embrace generative AI technology.

We can guess they may not be as fast at implementing new features as fast as others, more flexible companies. But there is question. What kind of features big chunk of users will really use or at least applaud? What it will be? Not everyone is writing essays. It can give us instant answers as Google already is doing on search page. But we are getting to moment you will be getting answers someone prepared to you and want you get. I already has experience with that. It really takes effort to get unfiltered results. AI models are not intelligent generally. But the way they are programmed.

So lets make test and use emojis as vote. What will you use on iPhone on regular basis the most?

👍 - text generation
❤️ - text editing/manipulation
🤣 - smart search
😲 - image/video generation
☹️ - image/video editing/manipulation
😡 - controlling your devices/home
👎 - creating automation/shortcuts

There is no more reactions but I have not got any other idea for general use anyway. You can choose only one ....

Reactions: gusmula

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Is that why Apple is running to Google for getting its so-called loser product Gemini on its phone? If you are desperate for a "loser product" what are you? A winner? You have a strange definition for winner.
Apple is not running, they are apparently talking to Google to get its loser Gemini on iPhones; the world is not perfect. I tried generative AI, it is very boring to ask algorithms to make me this or make me that. Gemini really is for zombies/android-users.

What do you call an Android user who uses AI to generate a picture? An artist.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
What? Are you kidding? If they're going to acquire the talent they can’t do themselves, at least get the good one. But I guess Microsoft already snapped them up.

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
Imagine having spent $10BN on AI that "just works" instead of on a car project that was way beyond Apple's core competencies. Or maybe not AI, but on making Siri actually functional.
I think a lot of the money spent on the car project actually was for AI related stuff. Making an electric car is no big task nowadays, but Apple was aiming for a smart car.
Also, no one knows what Apple invested in AI up until now. From what was rumored a few days ago, they had quite a bit brewing there.
It will be exciting times at WWDC this year.

Reactions: ipedro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.