Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealE

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2023
Apple has completely missed the AI train. It’s probably gonna hurt them enormously in the long run.
There's still time for Apple to come out with their own generative AI system.
They could call is sAgIttArIus: twice as long to get to market because it's got twice the AI. 😉

Reactions: Someyoungguy

blizzerand

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Lol. It's the reality distortion field at work. Apple does not pay suppliers, Suppliers pay Apple for the privilege of being named as Apple suppliers, even if the supplied product costs billions and generates no revenue yet like Generative AI on ios. (Sarcasm)

I cannot understand the kind of logic that leads people to come to such conclusions.
Missed the sarcasm. My bad.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Seems kinda late to still be in the negotiating fase. Also I don’t see how this level integration of Google services into iOS works with Apple’s stance on privacy.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
So if they implement this with iOS18, Im guessing this will be something that's iPhone 16 only - in order to try drive more sales of their new handset?

Reactions: TVreporter

4r1k

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
You mean the other way around? why would Google pay Apple to use THEIR technology since Apple does not seem to think they can come up with a competitor in time on their own. In this case, Google has the upper hand
The constant flood of user data is worth more than the technology itself.

L92

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2022
Apple has completely missed the AI train. It’s probably gonna hurt them enormously in the long run.
I don't know. Didn't they miss the search train and getting 18b/year (free money) in exchange for the default placement? It might be good business decision.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Looking forward to Apple moving on from Siri. 'She's' always been a joke.

What would the replacement be named? Simply, Gemini or Sora — or something Apple specific?

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
Really gives us a clear picture, how far Apple has progressed regarding AI compared to its competitors.
If the story is actually true, then yes, it is not a good sign that Apple has a strong foothold in the AI game.
BUT
So far, this is a rumor and does not give a "clear picture" at all.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I'm a heavy ChatGPT user. I've tried to use Google's LLM offerings multiple times and I've always found them to be completely useless. Not really sure why Apple would choose to partner with Google over OpenAI (unless it's due to licensing agreements with Microsoft).
We have no idea if this true or what level Apple is going for here, Apple has bough several AI companies and is also working with ChatGPT.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Apple also doesn’t have any search yet Google pay Apple big money for the privilege on iPhone.
This will be the same. They will pay to prevent Apple to adopt OpenAI or Microsoft’s on iOS.
Exactly! Getting inside Apple’s walled garden is much more valuable because of the inherent trust Apple consumers have. If Apple allowed it then it must be privacy focused…right? Additionally, Gemini is not good so Google would highly benefit more than Apple in this relationship.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Lol. It's the reality distortion field at work. Apple does not pay suppliers, Suppliers pay Apple for the privilege of being named as Apple suppliers, even if the supplied product costs billions and generates no revenue yet like Generative AI on ios. (Sarcasm)

I cannot understand the kind of logic that leads people to come to such conclusions.
Your sarcasm is actually accurate it some cases. Maybe not from a hardware standpoint but a software company like Google has more value in data. Point still stands that Google pays a boatload of money to be the default search engine for Apple devices and if you don’t think they would do the same for AI you’re crazy. I can’t confirm but similar to web search, Google may pay Apple to not only be the default but stay out of the category all together.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007

1) From now on, the single differentiator in smartphones will be the quality of its AI. AI will completely change the way we use smartphones, and it will happen within a couple of years max.
2) If Apple really does not have an internal AI capable to perform at least at Gemini / OpenAI levels, which at this point seems likely, then iPhones will simply become un-sellable. Kind of radios vs. TVs. It will just become rapidly inconceivable to have a phone without a top notch integrated AI.
3) So yes, if Apple needs an external supplier to power its AI, they're gonna need to pay, and pay a lot: the alternative is to kill the iPhone until they manage to get their internal AI at an acceptable level of performance, which will probably take a few years if they really are so behind Google, Open AI and the rest.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
So, let me get this straight:
All Tim Cook's declarations over the past months about "Apple going all-in AI" actually meant: "The purchasing department is actively negotiating contracts with third parties" instead of "The R&D department is actively developing an AI on par with third parties' ".

Foolish me!

ThisIsMike

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
This is a DISASTER.

This is concrete evidence that Apple is sorely behind on AI, or there would be no need for this. Not only does this create all kinds of issues in regard to privacy, it is a horrible indication of where Apple could wind up in the future. Make no mistake, if they do not catch up to, or surpass competitors in AI, it will have serious ramifications for Apple as a tech company years from now. They have to have strong AI to power their devices - phones, vr/ar experiences, and eventually robots - because that’s where this is going. They will be kneecapped if they don’t get ahead of this.

I am sincerely hoping they don’t become dependent on Google or anyone else as a partner, and that this is just temporary until they have their own solutions on par.

I had for years thought about sending an email Tim Cook about the risk of letting Siri fall so behind compared to other assistants, and here we are. What happened to skating where the puck is going? You couldn’t see this from EVERY sci-fi film ever? They pioneered this with Siri, and completely squandered their lead. It’s really a sad place for them to be right now. Talk about asleep at the wheel (Apple car pun intended). Such depressing news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.