Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
$22 p/h comes to £17.46 before tax/ni/pension contributions - while I know this is for the US Apple employees I’d be living the good life on £17 p/h compared to the £10.78 I make now… (for context UK minimum wage is £9.50 = $11.97 before tax)

Same here. Based on the data you’ve provided, before tax and other deductible amounts I’d be on £2,549.16/mo.! Instead I have to do a lot of overtime on top of my core hours to even get close to £1,850/mo. (After deductions).

Mind you *if* Apple increased Retail colleagues by a significant hourly amount here in the UK I wonder if they’d offer lower working contractual hours like some companies like to do these days?

Reactions: Souponastick270

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
But the real question is: in the US only? Or worldwide?

Other countries have different labor laws, which do affect pay. For example, bartenders in Ireland can make a living wage and afford a decent lifestyle compared to those here in the US. Biggest difference, they don’t need to rely on tips from the customer to make up their full salary. I’m sure Apple retail stores don’t have a static wage worldwide.

Reactions: Le0M

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Wow, I actually get to say the rare ‘good job’ to Apple. I have no doubt this is because of the pickup in unionization among retail and service industry workers. Regardless of Apple’s motives this is a good move for both Apple and the workers. I’ll say it again, if companies treat their employees fairly from the get go they won’t feel a need to unionize in the first place. I wish Walmart’s employees would start making a unionization push.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
15+ years into my graphic design career and $22 an hour still sounds like a pipe dream
For real. I’m looking at my hourly wage for design and wondering if I’m really getting paid enough. :(

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Until no one is able to afford it and they have to lay off most of their workers or close retail stores, haha.
What kind of successful business would intentionally cripple themselves over taking an very slightly reduced profit margin? You actually think Apple is going to hike the price of iPhones to the point where most people can no longer afford them, severely cutting into Apple’s sales and revenue? I hope you don’t run your own business.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Only $22 pfft… I make more delivering food and that’s without the indoctrination procedures… WTF?
$22 is just the base and is subject to increases depending on the market and obviously position. It wouldnt surprise me at all to find with this increase for the average Apple retail employee to be making close to $30/hr. And while you might make more than $22/hr delivering food, it’s likely that comes with no benefits which Apple employees would get and doesn’t include your expenses for fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle for those deliveries.

Last edited:
Reactions: CK1Czar

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
For a trillion dollar corporation it’s low-balling, even Panda Express have incentive to pay their workers up to $24 an hour, seen it advertised when I went into one of their restaurants.
Imagine thinking starting at $22 is somehow worse than up to $24. 😂
Back here in reality up to $24 simply means most employees making $13/hr.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
Right. People think nurses make so much money and in the south that’s new grad pay. Not that nurses are more important than anyone. But it’s like… why go 20k in debt to work an insanely stressful job for $22/hr.
ouch. my family are nurses and they make around $60 an hour in LA and complain Nurses are underpaid. Who is the right mind would do that job for $22/hr? Also debt was more like 80k. They all got the virus too and one almost died.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
I’m glad that Apple is doing this

I applied to work at the Apple Store about 10 years ago but didn’t get hired at that time

I would love to try to reapply, especially now that the starting pay is $22/hour
Interestingly enough I applied back in 2013 and I did not get hired. I went to check out who got hired and I asked her a bunch of questions, such as: "Will this iPod run iOS 7 when it will be released?" she said: "I don't know, I have to Google that" and I also asked: "If I buy a Mac now will I get the next release of OS X for free?" and to which she replied: "I don't know". (It was before Mavericks and iOS 7 were released, but the betas were out). She didn't even know if it's possible to upgrade my old MacBook (Early 2008) to 4GB of RAM and yes, she was a new employee there.

When I complained about it to a friend of mine they said: "Well, you're interested in Apple and their products, but most people work for pay checks". I remember I wanted this job so bad and I spent hours on making my CV perfect and beautiful and wrote the best motivational letter I have ever written. I didn't even hear back from them though :/

• Haha
Reactions: CK1Czar

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
As nice as the pay might sound, peace of mind has become far more valuable to me than base pay. Good for those who'll benefit, but I'd rather work at the (slightly) lower wage I have now and not have to deal with the headaches of retail work.

Reactions: Mousse

pray2crom

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
Oh good, but what about the pay for the underage kids in China that are making our iphones?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Noice. $22 an hour ain't nearly enough to entice me into retail/customer service work. Hail, $100 an hour ain't enough for me to deal with all the Karens/Chads😖 that darken the Apple Store doors. Lemme fight one Karen/Chad once a week without reprocussions.😙 I'd glady do retail work for $22/hour.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
If you still want to work in a store after 10 years have passed then you have done something wrong in those 10 years. :)

I’m glad that Apple is doing this

I applied to work at the Apple Store about 10 years ago but didn’t get hired at that time

I would love to try to reapply, especially now that the starting pay is $22/hour

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.