Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I strongly prefer this to unionizing. Union crony fat cats don't care about employees. They are just as if not more corrupt than a lot of "evil" corporations.

This is the best case scenario for everyone - unions don't add a layer of corrupt bureaucracy to Apple, and employees get paid fairly. Win-win.

That is an antiquated view of unions. Ths isn't the 1970s Teamsters any more. Most unions are run by the same people who work at the company. The "union fat cat" is a myth now.

Reactions: A Hobo

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
$22 is just the base and is subject to increases depending on the market and obviously position. It wouldnt surprise me at all to find with this increase for the average Apple retail employee to be making close to $30/hr. And while you might make more than $22/hr delivering food, it’s likely that comes with no benefits which Apple employees would get and doesn’t include your expenses for fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle for those deliveries.
Yeah fuel is a big cost but luckily for me Im my own mechanic which saves me thousands on wear and tear.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
The amount of time retail staff is used per year compared to the number of products sold per year must add up to mere minutes per product, I doubt the price will even go up because Apple usually target even numbers with their prices, like $899. Apple won't raise the price of the next iPhone to $901.
That’s the point. Nobody would complain of an extra $2, but that’s not how it works. Apple will probably raise the prices from 899 to 949 or 999 to 1099

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
Sounds good!

Looking forward to seeing how people here will react to higher prices to compensate for that.
Probably... not at all? A 10% increase in wages does not in any way mean that a 10% increase in prices is coming. Most studies found that for every 10% increase in minimum wage, there was between a .3-.7% price increase. So a $999 iPhone would increase to around... $1006.
Also, Apple isn't the local hardware store on the corner. They can increase hourly salary from $20/hr to $22/hr and call it an accounting error.

Reactions: vipergts2207

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
That’s the point. Nobody would complain of an extra $2, but that’s not how it works. Apple will probably raise the prices from 899 to 949 or 999 to 1099
There's probably no chance apple makes a 10% increase in iPhone prices to offset a 10% wage hike. Especially when that wage is going fro $20/hr to $22/hr. I mean, there's always a chance the price increases, but the baseline iPhone Pro has been $999 since 2019, and if there were a price increase, I'd say inflation/supply chain issues were more to blame than giving retail store workers 2 more dollars an hour.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Apple Stores that unionize will see an increase in Part Time jobs and a massive decrease in Full Time jobs. Happens to every union shop.

Reactions: CK1Czar

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
My company has stated there's not enough revenue for most anyone to get a raise and I see it. However, we also have had six employees' status change and are no longer here. Instead of griping and telling them we have six salaries to go around, I'm looking for a new job. Why don't others do this if they're not satisfied with what their company pays? Why is it imperative for your employer to increase your salary with inflation? Before you're hired, there's a salary expectation discussed, and you're free to negotiate it. How can you agree to a salary, then claim it's not a living wage a year later in attempts to unionize, when you know inflation only continues?

To me, it seems like there's a lot of focus on comfort in work for many people (including myself sometimes), and I don't mean this as an insult. It can be tiring to start a new job often, but think of yourself as the employer; if your company isn't meeting your needs, and won't negotiate reasonably, then fire them. Think of every new job with beginner's eyes, instead of being dismissive; it's a new experience, treat it as such. At the end of the day, is making more money with your skillset (or lack thereof) more important than [insert other value like comfort] to you?

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
Don’t be too quick to pat Timmy on the back. This will simply be passed down to us through an increase in cost for upcoming devices.
How else do you think this will get paid for? Apple is a business you know they make money but not out of thin air. Save the thin MacBook Air. ?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I strongly prefer this to unionizing. Union crony fat cats don't care about employees. They are just as if not more corrupt than a lot of "evil" corporations.

This is the best case scenario for everyone - unions don't add a layer of corrupt bureaucracy to Apple, and employees get paid fairly. Win-win.

I think it's funny that people say they prefer this to unions when part of the reason they're doing it is in response to efforts unions. Union pressure regularly encourages companies to do better. Mega companies like Apple can look after their bottom line incredibly well, only fair to give their low level employees some negotiating power too.

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
My company has stated there's not enough revenue for most anyone to get a raise and I see it. However, we also have had six employees' status change and are no longer here. Instead of griping and telling them we have six salaries to go around, I'm looking for a new job. Why don't others do this if they're not satisfied with what their company pays? Why is it imperative for your employer to increase your salary with inflation? Before you're hired, there's a salary expectation discussed, and you're free to negotiate it. How can you agree to a salary, then claim it's not a living wage a year later in attempts to unionize, when you know inflation only continues?

To me, it seems like there's a lot of focus on comfort in work for many people (including myself sometimes), and I don't mean this as an insult. It can be tiring to start a new job often, but think of yourself as the employer; if your company isn't meeting your needs, and won't negotiate reasonably, then fire them. Think of every new job with beginner's eyes, instead of being dismissive; it's a new experience, treat it as such. At the end of the day, is making more money with your skillset (or lack thereof) more important than [insert other value like comfort] to you?

About every statement in this post is so terribly nonsensical, I don't know from where to start.

But I think it's something else entirely. You must be an employer.

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
$22? lol
I wouldnt roll out of bed for $22 an hour.
trying to figure out why you all waste your time on retail jobs. jobs. not careers.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
$22? lol
I wouldnt roll out of bed for $22 an hour.
trying to figure out why you all waste your time on retail jobs. jobs. not careers.
Because that’s how economics works. You can’t have rich people without poor people.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Probably... not at all? A 10% increase in wages does not in any way mean that a 10% increase in prices is coming. Most studies found that for every 10% increase in minimum wage, there was between a .3-.7% price increase.
To true. Too many people think all the extra money goes into worker wages.??? Look no further than real world examples. In Denmark, McDonalds employees are paid living wages, yet the vittles cost pennies more than it does in the US--that's with the 25% food tax included. The difference? The rich bastards at the top are getting 5 million instead of 6 million in compensation.
So a $999 iPhone would increase to around... $1006.
We're talking Apple here. They'll jack up the price just for adding a sticker.?
Also, Apple isn't the local hardware store on the corner. They can increase hourly salary from $20/hr to $22/hr and call it an accounting error.
Your accountant has a loophole named after him?, doesn't he??

You might be an accountant if you deduct Ex-lax as "moving expenses."?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.