Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is investigating a popping sound issue with the new 16-inch MacBook Pro and plans to make a fix available in future software updates, the company has indicated in an internal document obtained by MacRumors.

16-inch-macbook-pro-top-down-800x470.jpg

The memo shared with Apple Authorized Service Providers reads as follows:
If a customer hears a popping sound when playback is stopped on their MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

When using Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, QuickTime Player, Music, Movies, or other applications to play audio, users may hear a pop come from the speakers after playback has ended. Apple is investigating the issue. A fix is planned in future software updates. Do not set up service, or replace the user's computer, as this is a software-related issue.
Shortly following the launch of the 16-inch MacBook Pro last month, some customers began to voice concerns about the popping sound issue across the MacRumors forums, Apple Support Communities, Reddit, and elsewhere. The exact cause is unclear, but Apple confirms it is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Apple seeded the fourth beta of macOS Catalina 10.15.2 to developers for testing today. It is unclear when the fix will be implemented.

Article Link: Apple Investigating 16-Inch MacBook Pro Popping Sound Issue, Fix Planned in Future Software Updates

Last edited:

Mythlin

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
I took mine back, I was going to wait for a software fix but I have this exact same issue on a 2019 15" Core i9 machine and even on the latest version of Mojave, the issue is still present for me. I was very disappointed when I setup the 16" from scratch (not restoring any cloud or local data from the other machine) and experienced the same issue.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Apple releases a universally acclaimed new MacBook Pro with a huge battery, massive performance boost, radically improved keyboard, and surprise surprise, some people are still not happy.
Weird post. This is an issue with the new MacBook that people are experiencing. "It's got a good keyboard though" is not an excuse for a $3k pro laptop having audio issues. It's literally targeted at audio professionals.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I think the opposite. You guys are totally off the reservation with your hate.

300M products annually are shipped with the Apple logo. Let's be serious. These aren't serious issues and issues are going to happen. It's amazing it's not 100X worse.
What a shame. All you are doing is weakening the companies potential to be great and not just good. Not only that, but you are watering down people's cases. It is a major problem for pro audio/video people like myself. You clearly don't fall in that category. It's fine if you don't have the issue with your $2500+ machine while surfing the web or checking email. But it is not fine for those of us who use our machines to work on professional audio/video projects. SMH

Last edited by a moderator:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
So is this fix gonna only be for the 16”? Because I certainly have the issue on my 2017 15” TB Pro, and it just started in the past couple of months, some time after I installed a Bluetooth midi keyboard.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
There sounds like it's a pulse that's ticking the sound card with some sort of splat on the "keep awake". It certainly seems software related.

[automerge]1575669811[/automerge]
So is this fix gonna only be for the 16”? Because I certainly have the issue on my 2017 15” TB Pro, and it just started in the past couple of months, some time after I installed a Bluetooth midi keyboard.

Catalina Bluetooth is a complete dumpster fire. I'm having to reboot every few days for a third-party keyboard. Same make and model is flawless under 10.14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.