Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I took mine back, I was going to wait for a software fix but I have this exact same issue on a 2019 15" Core i9 machine and even on the latest version of Mojave, the issue is still present for me. I was very disappointed when I setup the 16" from scratch (not restoring any cloud or local data from the other machine) and experienced the same issue.
That was a silly decision.
[automerge]1575669880[/automerge]
And no other company also has such a cult following full of apologists that defends their every mistake.
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Hey Macrumors, how many were impacted?

No, this isn't the death of Apple or the MacBook.

It's also not a referendum of quality control at Apple.

You sound ridiculous at this point. You keep asking how many are impacted in various threads knowing damn well nobody can answer that question. This is an issue showing up and MR posted about it. Nothing wrong with that at all. I would imagine this IS an issue and of interest for people that use their MBP for A/V work. This is stuff that matters to them, not AAPL stock prices, the valuation of Apple or how many they sold.

To MacRumors, from a potential purchaser of this machine, thanks for posting and keep the articles coming.

Last edited:

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
You sound ridiculous at this point. You keep asking how many are impacted in various threads knowing damn well nobody can answer that question. This is an issue showing up and MR posted about it. Nothing wrong with that at all. I would imagine this IS an issue and of interest for people that use their MBP for A/V work. This is stuff that matters to them, not AAPL stock prices, the valuation of Apple or how many they sold. Grow up.

To MacRumors, from a potential purchaser of this machine, thanks for posting and keep the articles coming.
Brilliantly put! Thank you!! Sick of seeing people like this littering these forums. Makes one begin to wonder if Apple has plants. I'd hate to think they would ever stoop that low. I am sure it's nothing more than obsessed fanatics who sniff Apple product boxes. LOL

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
I don't understand how something like this gets past quality control, unless it's only impacting a minority of machines.

Reactions: sfwalter

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Honestly, I haven't had time to do a lot of audio related stuff on my new MBP 16 yet - but I intend to, and this is the kind of problem I'd find VERY annoying.

This has happened a number of times on the Windows platform over the years, with certain audio chipsets and driver revisions. So yeah, it's "not a big deal" in the sense it's just a driver thing and totally fixable via software update. But IMO, it's less tolerable on a Mac like this than on a typical Windows machine for two reasons:

1. You're paying a premium price because this new Macbook is designated a "Pro" machine by Apple, suited for the most demanding media creation type tasks.

2. Apple controls all the drivers centrally, as part of OS X releases. You don't generally get options to do things like "just use the audio driver designed for chipset 8432 instead of the 8452 in your machine as a work-around"... If Apple decides it doesn't care enough to fix the issue, all of the computers are forever cursed with the problem.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Most likely a rare occurrence. Else they would have caught it.
Not rare at all. Occurs on all new machines and even some older 15". It is just that the use case scenario is different for people and thus some haven't discovered it yet.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Apple releases a universally acclaimed new MacBook Pro with a huge battery, massive performance boost, radically improved keyboard, and surprise surprise, some people are still not happy.

Are you so bitter about the fact that we finally got a non faulty keyboard in laptops that you’re now pre-emptively trolling anyone who dare take issue with this speaker problem?

P.S. It wasnt a ‘massive’ performance boost. Not sure where you got that.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I took mine back, I was going to wait for a software fix but I have this exact same issue on a 2019 15" Core i9 machine and even on the latest version of Mojave, the issue is still present for me. I was very disappointed when I setup the 16" from scratch (not restoring any cloud or local data from the other machine) and experienced the same issue.

You took it back...because of this???

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Which pro audio people are using built in speakers to work on? You can't hear **** on them anyway, even if there was no audio feedback, use your monitoring solution!!
LOL. I am not even going to dignify that with a response. If you don't know the answer, you don't work in the field. Not only that, but using studio monitors doesn't exempt Apple from fixing bugs. Workarounds are not solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Ah, I was waiting for the issues to start surfacing... the 16" sounded too good to be true. Hopefully this is an easy fix, and hopefully there aren't any more issues, but I aren't rushing out to buy a 16 quite yet.

The last time

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2019
San Francisco, CA
Actually, the audio problem not the big issue for me (I definitely have heard it, especially using Motion today). What is annoying for me is the burnt in look of the laptop screen when I sometimes start it up. It looks super heavily saturated and gets stuck on that until I mess with the settings. This image doesn't quite do it justice.
IMG_2886.jpeg

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Most likely a rare occurrence. Else they would have caught it.

I have popping noises on my 16" MBP when the sound gets cut off or a video is paused. I figured its a software thing and that they'd fix it eventually. Didn't think much of it TBH. Doesn't make it rare though.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Hey Macrumors, how many were impacted?

No, this isn't the death of Apple or the MacBook.

It's also not a referendum of quality control at Apple.
Why are you asking MR? How would they know? Apple is the only party that might know it. Ask them but don't expect the straight answer. They will probably change the design in a few years to fix the issue.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Quite clearly it's you that hasn't, i've been part of grammy nominated projects - anyone saying built in speakers on a laptop are a serious problem for audio work is either trolling or talking nonsense.
Hahahaha riiiiiiiiight! Anyone "dropping their resume unsolicited", talking about working on "grammy nominated projects" has bigger issues. LMAO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.