Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
So is this fix gonna only be for the 16”? Because I certainly have the issue on my 2017 15” TB Pro, and it just started in the past couple of months, some time after I installed a Bluetooth midi keyboard.

Sounds like the fix will be in a Catalina update. So it should also fix your system.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I'm rather confused currently. So I've researched Intel CPUs for the next few years and cannot find any reference to a H-Series 45w CPU with integrated Thunderbolt. So far it's rumored that Icelake, Tigerlake and Rocketlake (only 125w but likely to get limited, nor integrated Thunderbolt) are not H-Series 45w CPUs, so that must mean 2022 is when we get another H-Series refresh after Cometlake (2020 but not integrated Thunderbolt).

I was hoping we'd get a CPU with integrated Thunderbolt before 2022 but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Comet Lake H series are supposedly due 2Q/3Q2020, but as you mention they are not going to have integrated Thunderbolt 3. That’s in Ice Lake 10nm so 2022 is the current expectation as you say. But Comet Lake will have WiFi 6 so there’s that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PS did you mean to post to this thread?

Macusercom

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Probably there is no fade at the end of the playback. If the playback is stopped and the amplitude is e.g. 0.85 (can be -1 to 1) it drops immediately to 0 which introduces a sound as the membrane quickly jumps and moves air in the process producing sound waves which probably is the popping sound.

Should be basic stuff but maybe there was an error in the code.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
You guys, someone already posted on the beta 4 release it seems to be addressed. Perhaps instead of whining, everyone try that out and see if that fixes it. I agree, Apple's track record for quality this year has been terribly low on so many fronts, but if the issue is resolved this problem becomes a non issue 2 weeks after release really...

Reactions: V_Man and jerryk

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I'm relieved they have confirmed this is only a software problem. At current I'm using the quicktime workaround to stop the popping and it does work which in my opinion confirms their findings that it's not a hardware issue.

Personally I don't find this issue all that bothersome but I do wish Apple's quality control on what for me was a £2,800 computer was higher.

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Comet Lake H series are supposedly due 2Q/3Q2020, but as you mention they are not going to have integrated Thunderbolt 3. That’s in Ice Lake 10nm so 2022 is the current expectation as you say. But Comet Lake will have WiFi 6 so there’s that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PS did you mean to post to this thread?

Simply posted on the latest MacBook thread, rather than an old one where it won't get noticed. Was hoping for ITB as it works better for eGPUs (performance increases and latency decreases as per a test).

Last edited:
Reactions: PickUrPoison

Jason212

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
I don't see the reason for the big argument about how bad an issue it is. For some people who use it a certain way it is a huge issue, for others it isn't. For the money spent you want it to be right for what you wan't to do. Apple is looking into it which tells me that there most be enough complaints they need to investigate which is the right thing to do. Why try to bury the fact there is an issue that affects customers.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I don't see the reason for the big argument about how bad an issue it is. For some people who use it a certain way it is a huge issue, for others it isn't. For the money spent you want it to be right for what you wan't to do. Apple is looking into it which tells me that there most be enough complaints they need to investigate which is the right thing to do. Why try to bury the fact there is an issue that affects customers.

I think some people here who are dismissing the issue think it only happens when abruptly pausing audio but it actually happens when scrubbing through audio timelines with constant crackle and pops. Some people have it worse than others it's a spectrum seemingly based on what software and audio buffer settings your software uses.

Mistakes happen though, Apple is committed to a software fix so I'm not so bothered but I can understand peoples frustration when they spend so much money and have what to me seems such an obvious issue to have missed in quality control. I mean I can literally reproduce this in YouTube in Safari just scrubbing through a video timeline or by changing web pages while audio is playing etc it's kind of strange to me how they would ship it with this issue that I have a hard time believing they never experienced.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
I remember this issue years ago with some apple laptops. It was resolved. Also have seen it on a windows machine.

I actually think my IIsi started doing this at one point.

Last edited:

FS1819

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Hong Kong
I took mine back, I was going to wait for a software fix but I have this exact same issue on a 2019 15" Core i9 machine and even on the latest version of Mojave, the issue is still present for me. I was very disappointed when I setup the 16" from scratch (not restoring any cloud or local data from the other machine) and experienced the same issue.

I have a 2019 Core i9 15" MBP as well. I encounter this issue in Mac OS X and Windows as well. Whenever I try to skip audio tracks to another, the popping sound will appear. I am concerned that at higher volumes, it might damage the speakers.

ruslansv

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2019
And no other company also has such a cult following full of apologists that defends their every mistake.

You'd wish it was a mistake. What it looks like to me is a pattern of problems resulting from poor engineering practices and bad engineering culture (the fact that they don't have feature flags speaks volumes). What worked 10 years ago under Steve obviously no longer works at this scale. On top of that - the current leadership (unlike Steve) it appears is not as passionate about products excellence in general (not that there were no problems then - but the passion was there at least).

Apple looks exactly like Microsoft in the 90s and short of a massive cleanup at all levels of leadership it is going to get 100X worse.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
You'd wish it was a mistake. What it looks like to me is a pattern of problems resulting from poor engineering practices and bad engineering culture (the fact that they don't have feature flags speaks volumes). What worked 10 years ago under Steve obviously no longer works at this scale. On top of that - the current leadership (unlike Steve) it appears is not as passionate about products excellence in general (not that there were no problems then - but the passion was there at least).

Apple looks exactly like Microsoft in the 90s and short of a massive cleanup at all levels of leadership it is going to get 100X worse.

Honestly a lot of bad engineering went on under Steves leadership too like the iPhone 4 antenna thing, the G5 Power Mac's that leaked coolant, the Titanium Powerbook's cracking hinges. I mean let's be realistic, he was the tastemaker but he wasn't guaranteeing things were perfect. Mistakes happen, they're only human.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Hopefully Apple will come up with a solution after than they did with the MacBook Pro 2011 GPU issues. That took Apple literally years...

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

Where have you been? The sky has been falling for at least 25 years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: artfossil

AppleZilla

Suspended
Jul 23, 2010
It only happens in web video for me on my 16-inch. Apple will fix, case closed, except for the Apple haters who for some reason inhabit Apple comments, they will never forgive.

That video published here is highly misleading, re: Fox News like.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Apple will fix this and there will still be people saying "Its unforgivable that they shipped it like this. I reject this fix, it shouldn't have been there in the first place."
[automerge]1575684316[/automerge]

Oh my god. ?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why is the person using a giant marker or whatever to press the keys? That adds an extra "click" sound into the troubleshooting when the marker and key make contact. I just found that strange. Are they afraid to touch the keys?
[automerge]1575685228[/automerge]
You're delusional if you don't think this is a serious issue. Either that or simply a typical Apple apologist. What a shame. All you are doing is weakening the companies potential to be great and not just good. Not only that, but you are watering down people's cases. It is a major problem for pro audio/video people like myself. You clearly don't fall in that category. It's fine if you don't have the issue with your $2500+ machine while surfing the web or checking email. But it is not fine for those of us who use our machines to work on professional audio/video projects. SMH

I agree that this is disappointing, but would professionals rely entirely on the built-in speakers or use studio-quality headphones? Serious question.
[automerge]1575685389[/automerge]
Honestly a lot of bad engineering went on under Steves leadership too like the iPhone 4 antenna thing, the G5 Power Mac's that leaked coolant, the Titanium Powerbook's cracking hinges. I mean let's be realistic, he was the tastemaker but he wasn't guaranteeing things were perfect. Mistakes happen, they're only human.

Engineering is a process. There's a certain amount of allowance needed for real-world usage that can't be reproduced in the lab or by a small set of testers. Once products hit consumers' hands, then issues may crop up that were not apparent before. Engineering is built on the lessons learned from previous engineering. It's unrealistic to think they'll get it perfectly every time.

Reactions: citysnaps

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Engineering is a process. There's a certain amount of allowance needed for real-world usage that can't be reproduced in the lab or by a small set of testers. Once products hit consumers' hands, then issues may crop up that were not apparent before. Engineering is built on the lessons learned from previous engineering. It's unrealistic to think they'll get it perfectly every time.

As an engineer myself, yes. And as I said at the end of my post, mistakes happen, they're only human. I was just illustrating to him that things were just the same under Steve Jobs, he was not a god and things didn't work perfectly under him as he seems to think.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Why do people think that just because something is expensive, it is immune to issues? I had a $1,199 graphics card fail on me within a week. What did I do? RMA and got a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.