Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Hey Macrumors, how many were impacted?

No, this isn't the death of Apple or the MacBook.

It's also not a referendum of quality control at Apple.

Hey Baymowe355, obviously enough were impacted that Apple felt the need to address it publicly instead of privately via the support channels!

First reply post to the article, you really don't waste any time embarrassing yourself! Come back to the keyboard thread, we miss your lunacy there!

EDIT: So scratch that, they didn't address it publicly but via private channels there were released publicly, my mistake. See how easy it is to come off one's high horse and admit you might be wrong, you might try it instead of jumping down everyones throats with your first post before anyone said anything.

Last edited:

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
"Besides the screen, bridge os errors, crackling speakers, and coil whine it's pretty disappointing. But at the same time there is so much to like about this laptop that I'm leaning towards keeping it and living with the issues.”

Sheeple.

Last edited:

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
Actually this is the same T2 audio issue impacting every single T2-equipped MacBook from 2018 onwards.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...g.2128234/page-61?post=27997640#post-27997640

Apple is aware of the problem and continues to lie about it. It’s either a T2 hardware fault, or firmware. In either case, we have had 3 models of MacBook and 3 OS versions and there has been no fix.

I have personally been involved in a 6month+ investigation with Apple, 6 out of 6 T2-equipped MacBooks I’ve owned had the same issue, and you can replicate the issue easily on any other MacBook.

To be clear - every single MacBook with T2 Chip has this issue, and it’s not gonna be fixed.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I have personally been involved in a 6month+ investigation with Apple, 6 out of 6 T2-equipped MacBooks I’ve owned had the same issue, and you can replicate the issue easily on any other MacBook.

PLEASE DO NOT RELAY ANY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES! It will cause Baymowe355 to say "anecdotal" for the 300th time and cause us all to throw up in out mouths a little in response!

robotfist

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Gen 1 devices always have issues because some issues can't be discovered through limited release testing. And high prices don't make products (or anything really) immune to bugs or problems. It's life! Ferraris have oil leaks, multi-million dollar homes develop cracks and private jets crash. Unsinkable ships sink. The older I get the more I realize that expecting perfection in everything around you is a fool's game. I'm just glad it's a software issue, which seems so minor considering some of their previous missteps (butterfly keyboard, Antennaegate).

I always get AppleCare and live worry free for 3 years. Sell your machine with a couple months left on it and you'll get a great price for it. I think I took my 2016 Macbook Pro in 4 or 5 times for the keyboard and a loose USB-C port. They replaced the top case and the battery every time. I then dropped my Macbook Pro on the ground and dented the body and the display. They replaced everything for that, too. It was like Apple was giving me a brand new machine to use every 6 months. Can't beat that!

I don't mean to discount people's frustrations. I just ordered a 16" Macbook Pro and I'm not stoked that there is potentially an issue with it. And I'm an audio/video professional, too! I edit on my laptop all the time. So this should be interesting. But life is too short to get upset about technology problems. I've over it. They will always be there. Because technology advances faster than we do.

Reactions: IG88

torukawahata

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
Actually, the audio problem not the big issue for me (I definitely have heard it, especially using Motion today). What is annoying for me is the burnt in look of the laptop screen when I sometimes start it up. It looks super heavily saturated and gets stuck on that until I mess with the settings. This image doesn't quite do it justice. View attachment 881179
I have that problem on my 2013 macbook pro! It goes way back

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
PLEASE DO NOT RELAY ANY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES! It will cause Baymowe355 to say "anecdotal" for the 300th time and cause us all to throw up in out mouths a little in response!

Because all that matters is 'profit' - because apparently profit is the only way Apple should be judged. Just like how McDonalds makes the most profit so it must make the best, most high quality food :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why do people think that just because something is expensive, it is immune to issues? I had a $1,199 graphics card fail on me within a week. What did I do? RMA and got a replacement.

This is an outstanding perspective. Anything that’s mass produced is bound to have an issue of some sort, I don’t care what the price tag entails. Anyone reading this thread, needs to read your post.

• Haha
Reactions: decypher44

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
This is an outstanding perspective. Anything that’s mass produced is bound to have an issue of some sort, I don’t care what the price tag entails. Anyone reading this thread, needs to read your post.
I have had brand new hard drives fail within a month too.

Reactions: TVOR

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Hey Baymowe355, obviously enough were impacted that Apple felt the need to address it publicly instead of privately via the support channels!

First reply post to the article, you really don't waste any time embarrassing yourself! Come back to the keyboard thread, we miss your lunacy there!

EDIT: So scratch that, they didn't address it publicly but via private channels there were released publicly, my mistake. See how easy it is to come off one's high horse and admit you might be wrong, you might try it instead of jumping down everyones throats with your first post before anyone said anything.
Someone has to be the voice of reason. I don’t expect you to agree. You ignore facts every time I post them, so I just stopped.
[automerge]1575689758[/automerge]
Your alert went off quick. Right on cue. At what point will you realize this company doesn’t care about you and you aren’t getting invited to WWDC or any Apple TV hollywood parties.
I only care about the part of the company I own. Apple rewards me directly proportionate to my investment, which is all I expect.

• Haha

HuxFlux

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2018
Hopefully Apple will come up with a solution after than they did with the MacBook Pro 2011 GPU issues. That took Apple literally years...

Actually, their “solution” to that problem was to just replace the logic board with another logic board with the same issue. They just postponed the inevitable death of the machine (caused by a design defect) until after their extended repair program ended.

My 2011 machine was repaired under that program, and died again about a year later from the exact same gpu issue. The Apple Store even diagnosed it.

The Apple Store refused to fix it the second time, stating that they would break California state law if they fixed it and instead only offered to sell me a new machine at full price. I got the machine up and running again by disabling the dedicated gpu, and when I pointed this out to Apple’s customer relations team they gave me a free set of Bose QC35 ii headphones as compensation.

I’d rather have seen that they had actually solved the engineering problem, but that costs more than dodging customers and giving away headphones.

Reactions: Stella

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Actually this is the same T2 audio issue impacting every single T2-equipped MacBook from 2018 onwards.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...g.2128234/page-61?post=27997640#post-27997640

Apple is aware of the problem and continues to lie about it. It’s either a T2 hardware fault, or firmware. In either case, we have had 3 models of MacBook and 3 OS versions and there has been no fix.

To be clear - every single MacBook with T2 Chip has this issue, and it’s not gonna be fixed.
Interesting. I don't remember the popping on my 2018 but it's possible it happened and I just ignored it.

I've had the popping on the 16" a few times. Pretty sure it was YouTube vids every time.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
You sound ridiculous at this point. You keep asking how many are impacted in various threads knowing damn well nobody can answer that question. This is an issue showing up and MR posted about it. Nothing wrong with that at all. I would imagine this IS an issue and of interest for people that use their MBP for A/V work. This is stuff that matters to them, not AAPL stock prices, the valuation of Apple or how many they sold.

To MacRumors, from a potential purchaser of this machine, thanks for posting and keep the articles coming.
Keep them coming, sure, but it also spreads a lot of folly. Posts on a forum and anecdotal reports of issues are not enough to call products defective, design flaws, and major quality control issues. Apple sells a lot of products and stuff happens. Big deal.

• Haha

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
Software engineer here with digital signal processing experience. This is not a big deal and will be resolved. Anything you see speculating otherwise is just fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Reactions: sfwalter

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Software engineer here with digital signal processing experience. This is not a big deal and will be resolved. Anything you see speculating otherwise is just fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
Seems like an easy fix. Glad people caught it. Obviously problematic for video editing.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Oh boy... SMH. You might wanna do a LOT more research before cheerleading and rushing to the defense of Apple.
Often times @Baymowe335 and i disagree on our views of Apple. I do think quality has gone down a bit at Apple that said however this seems to be a fairly recent issue so let's see how Apple handles it before we let lose the gods of war

Reactions: Baymowe335

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

You’re wrong. The 13” MBP with T2 doesn’t have the problem. Some apps have pops, some don’t. Does that sound like a hardware problem to you?

And now today’s beta 4 has now reportedly fixed the issue on the 16” MBP.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
My MacBook Pro 13, 2018, has all sorts of sound issues, mainly with the headphones. Popping and crackling sounds. Was on Apple Care hotline for more than 2 hours then gave up.. Apple says it's not a known issue. But google it, you will find thousands of people with the same issue, no solution. I'm using a third party software to suppress the crackling. Would be awesome if this is going to be fixed now by Apple

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
How far does the T2 chip reach into the hardware? If it's mediating access to hardware then that's probably bad, since the T2 OS basically becomes a bottleneck...and if it isn't quite isochronous-capable then, well, things like this will happen.

Apple has never made an RTOS, which is what the T2 needs to/should be running if it's really doing hardware mediation.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Hey Macrumors, how many were impacted?

No, this isn't the death of Apple or the MacBook.

It's also not a referendum of quality control at Apple.

So much for the non-upgradable junk apple makes these days. Still rocking on my 2012 non-retina upgradable macbook pro - may try 32GB of memory.
[automerge]1575696824[/automerge]
My MacBook Pro 13, 2018, has all sorts of sound issues, mainly with the headphones. Popping and crackling sounds. Was on Apple Care hotline for more than 2 hours then gave up.. Apple says it's not a known issue. But google it, you will find thousands of people with the same issue, no solution. I'm using a third party software to suppress the crackling. Would be awesome if this is going to be fixed now by Apple

Uh-huh, just like the 2011 Macbook Pros with bad radeon chips. Pathetic, spend 2400-or more on the 16 inch MB Pro and this. I feel sorry for those who really think Apple's notebooks are without problems.
[automerge]1575696920[/automerge]
Because all that matters is 'profit' - because apparently profit is the only way Apple should be judged. Just like how McDonalds makes the most profit so it must make the best, most high quality food :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Apple's QC is horrible, my 2012 Macbook Pro never had nor does have any of these issues.
[automerge]1575697011[/automerge]
You're delusional if you don't think this is a serious issue. Either that or simply a typical Apple apologist. What a shame. All you are doing is weakening the companies potential to be great and not just good. Not only that, but you are watering down people's cases. It is a major problem for pro audio/video people like myself. You clearly don't fall in that category. It's fine if you don't have the issue with your $2500+ machine while surfing the web or checking email. But it is not fine for those of us who use our machines to work on professional audio/video projects. SMH

I agree, and why would someone use this much power just to surf the internet ? a waste of 2500.00 and or more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.