Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
So you’re saying there's people who are happy about the popping MacBook?

Apple are investigating, so we'll see if it's a real issue or not. I don't know, but it doesn't sound like a major problem to me. It wouldn't worry me, but I'm firmly ALL IN on iPad and iPhone now.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Actually, the audio problem not the big issue for me (I definitely have heard it, especially using Motion today). What is annoying for me is the burnt in look of the laptop screen when I sometimes start it up. It looks super heavily saturated and gets stuck on that until I mess with the settings. This image doesn't quite do it justice. View attachment 881179
Unrelated---why not put the ethernet to the back of the UltraFine?
[automerge]1575729027[/automerge]
Same, but I haven't noticed the popping for awhile. Hope it didn't blow one of the speakers lol.
I think that's a legit concern. It sounds like the popping of a high end exhaust from a sports' car---loud and sudden.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The previous generation keyboard was great, but Apple is always striving to make improvements and advancements in their core technologies.
This isn't an advancement, this is an oops we screwed up, let's go back and use the Magic Keyboard 2 like we should've done from the start. But I'm glad someone at Apple finally realized how severe this Jonny Ive obsession with thinness was getting and took action. Better late than never.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I hope they ensure the fix works for the older system also. As reporting the forums, the popping occurs on some 2016-2018 system also.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
So is this fix gonna only be for the 16”? Because I certainly have the issue on my 2017 15” TB Pro, and it just started in the past couple of months, some time after I installed a Bluetooth midi keyboard.

I was about to ask if any other Catalina Macs have this issue since it seems software related (Core Audio probably). It looks like there are some missing samples in the buffer or if the audio just kills the call during the audioblock so it doesn't get completed. Most audio companies (soundcard manufacturers but also plugins developers) recommend not switching to Catalina yet since its giving them a ****ton of problems. I mean they already changed how audio works in El Capitan or Yosemite, don't exactly remember which one, but they did it again.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Oh boy... SMH. You might wanna do a LOT more research before cheerleading and rushing to the defense of Apple.
Radeongate, Ghosting-gate, Yellowgate, Nvidiagate (650m on some 2012-13 MBPs), Coating-gate, Butterflygate... although Apple usually provides a solution at no cost. Perhaps the worst case in this regard was the Radeongate, which took years to Apple providing a solution, and some users still didn't get a free fix (don't know why, too... perhaps second-hand owners).

thevault

Suspended
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
You would of thought a premium $3k computer with all their Beta testers would of caught this issue. Oh, I forgot the end users are the Beta testers.:rolleyes:

Timmy's Apple.o_O

Reactions: heffsf

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
Apple releases a universally acclaimed new MacBook Pro with a huge battery, massive performance boost, radically improved keyboard, and surprise surprise, some people are still not happy.
I honestly don't understand what is your point here (and in most of your posts in general). If you are implying that negativity towards Apple is unjustified and overblown then even if so, why does it even matter? Why do you care about a trillion dollar company's reputation so much?

Moreover, even if the percentage of faulty devices is miniscule that doesn't mean that people that have this issue shouldn't complain and make sure their voices are heard. Or are you implying that the unlucky few that spent $2400+ should just suck it up? Should we consider treat MacBook Pro purchases as a lottery?

MacRumors has collected hundreds (if not thousants) of complains about specific issues and now reports that apparently Apple is aware of it and will issue a fix (like many people expected from the beginning). Is this kind of reporting a bad thing? Should people with faulty hardware just stick with the features that work fine and stop complaining? MacRumors shouldn't be used as an Apple marketing tool or a circle-jerk forum.

Personally, I love Apple products and own devices from virtually every category that Apple has but that doesn't mean I worship the company. Also, if one product category has systematically been problematic (in regards to faulty hardware) then that is the MacBook.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Someone has to be the voice of reason. I don’t expect you to agree. You ignore facts every time I post them, so I just stopped.

You have NEVER posted a single fact. You do however constantly post about how the numbers are "far less" than the impression given on MR, about EVERY single issue.

I on the other hand have tried to point out to you that even Apple has recognized that the butterfly keyboard is defective (do I need to post the definition again for you?) as they created the Keyboard Service Program that covers EVERY SINGLE BUTTERFLY keyboard ever made, all of the DEFECTIVE replacements and all of the defective ones they continue to sell.

But please, close your eyes, ball up your fists and stomp your feet all the while proclaiming that Apple doesn't ever do a single thing wrong, we all enjoy watching you embarrass yourself over and over and over and over and over and over again!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
so the bigger question to me is, how many people are returning their units in hopes that, they will be a non-defective one?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Radeongate, Ghosting-gate, Yellowgate, Nvidiagate (650m on some 2012-13 MBPs), Coating-gate, Butterflygate... although Apple usually provides a solution at no cost. Perhaps the worst case in this regard was the Radeongate, which took years to Apple providing a solution, and some users still didn't get a free fix (don't know why, too... perhaps second-hand owners).
The repair programs only last four years from the date of purchase and the problems don't magically fix themselves after four years. "Nvidiagate" could be referring to the '07 MacBook Pros with 8600M, or the 2012 Retina MacBook Pros with 650M, but Apple will fix neither one for free at this point.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
The "pop" is a SOFTWARE defect, returning your MBP to get a new one will not solve a software problem. The solution seems to already be implemented in the latest Catalina beta. So we just need to wait for the public release.

so the bigger question to me is, how many people are returning their units in hopes that, they will be a non-defective one?

Reactions: icanhazmac

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
The repair programs only last four years from the date of purchase and the problems don't magically fix themselves after four years. "Nvidiagate" could be referring to the '07 MacBook Pros with 8600M, or the 2012 Retina MacBook Pros with 650M, but Apple will fix neither one for free at this point.
My rMBP is a Nvidiagate 2.0 candidate, but never had issues to ask for a fix. However, I've already had replaced for free on my early-2013 rMBP:

1. Display, due to the coating-gate;
2. Top-case, due to defective battery;

Both fixes were done in 2018, about 1,5 years of expiration of my AppleCare extended warranty (Dec-2013 to Dec-2016). So, again, I never had big issues with Apple support. A friend had an iMac 2011 with defective GPU fixed for free a couple of years ago. I had a white Macbook with a melted rubberish bottom case fixed way after warranty expired.

Really don't understand what kind of dialogue people are keep with Apple support... and I'm in Brazil, where consumer rights are usually in a lower standard than USA or most of Europe.

Last edited:

ArrayDecay

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2019
Greater Seattle Area
I think I'm going to wait for the 2020 refresh before I drop $3K on a 16" MBP.
[automerge]1575736838[/automerge]
That was a silly decision.
[automerge]1575669880[/automerge]

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

Don't forget Harley-Davidson and Leica fanboys.

Reactions: decypher44

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
My rMBP is a Nvidiagate 2.0 candidate, but never had issues to ask for a fix. However, I've already had replaced for free on my early-2013 rMBP:

1. Display, due to the coating-gate;
2. Top-case, due to defective battery;

Both fixes were done in 2018, about 1,5 years of expiration of my AppleCare extended warranty (Dec-2013 to Dec-2016). So, again, I never had big issues with Apple support. A friend had an iMac 2011 with defective GPU fixed for free a couple of years ago. I had a white Macbook with a melted rubberish bottom case fixed way after warranty expired.

Really don't understand what kind of dialogue people are keep with Apple support... and I'm in Brazil, where consumer rights are usually in a lower standard than USA or most of Europe.
My Mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro has been showing some "Nvidiagate" symptoms. Apple took down the page which mentioned the repair program and added the 2012/Early 2013 Retina MacBook Pros to the "vintage" product list so I really doubt they'll fix it for free at this point.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
The "pop" is a SOFTWARE defect, returning your MBP to get a new one will not solve a software problem. The solution seems to already be implemented in the latest Catalina beta. So we just need to wait for the public release.
do we know this for sure?? there seems to be varying opinions on this...
[automerge]1575737254[/automerge]
I think I'm going to wait for the 2020 refresh before I drop $3K on a 16" MBP.
[automerge]1575736838[/automerge]

Don't forget Harley-Davidson and Leica fanboys.
have fun waiting!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
My Mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro has been showing some "Nvidiagate" symptoms. Apple took down the page which mentioned the repair program and added the 2012/Early 2013 Retina MacBook Pros to the "vintage" product list so I really doubt they'll fix it for free at this point.
You should try... sometimes, they'll try to fix if they have spare parts for replacing. I'm really impressed that they replaced the entire top case and screen of my Mac (although it shares the same form factor of 2015 rMBPs, so it seems easier to have it in stock).

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
You have NEVER posted a single fact. You do however constantly post about how the numbers are "far less" than the impression given on MR, about EVERY single issue.

I on the other hand have tried to point out to you that even Apple has recognized that the butterfly keyboard is defective (do I need to post the definition again for you?) as they created the Keyboard Service Program that covers EVERY SINGLE BUTTERFLY keyboard ever made, all of the DEFECTIVE replacements and all of the defective ones they continue to sell.

But please, close your eyes, ball up your fists and stomp your feet all the while proclaiming that Apple doesn't ever do a single thing wrong, we all enjoy watching you embarrass yourself over and over and over and over and over and over again!
No one knows how many were impacted. I can only go by Apple waiting 4 years and continuing to sell the butterfly keyboard to discern the issue is not anything serious. I simply interpret this differently than you because I'm more objective.

Serious problems that impact large numbers of devices would have to be fixed more quickly. A keyboard service program only helps the people impacted, which we don't know. I commend Apple for taking care of those who were impacted, but alas, they couldn't have continued to sell it if the impacted units was an serious number.

If anything, it would have been an administrative and operational nightmare. If 2/100 were impacted instead of 1/100, they probably felt it was still manageable. If 30/100 were impacted, they would have likely redesigned a lot sooner and pulled the rest too.

Were you impacted by this issue?

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Were you impacted by this issue?

Well that explains a lot, you don't read any challenging posts, you just blindly post your allegiance.

I have stated MULTIPLE times in response to you and have it in my signature that I have replaced the keyboard in my 2017 15" mbp twice already. My laptop gets rather light, office type use and I do not eat over it!

You are FAR from objective, all you do is repeatedly ask "how many were affected?" when you know that no one can answer this as Apple does not release that information, then you proceed to take everyones individual account of failures and attempt to discredit them as "anecdotal" or tell us to stop eating over our keyboards as if this poor design was our fault.

Your entire argument seems to be based on x minus 1, where x equals the number of failures you personally would deem "defective" and where you personally believe that the actual number of failures is at least 1 less than that so you can claim "its no big deal" and those of us that have experienced failures are overreacting.

Apple created the Keyboard Service Program knowing full well that these keyboards are DEFECTIVE, again this is defined as: having a defect or flaw : imperfect in form, structure or function.

Any objective person could conclude that Apple feels the butterfly keyboard is defective because they extend a warranty program that is FOUR TIMES their normal warranty on this part. Including every single one they use as replacements.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL! You should try it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.