Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Hey friends! I know there are several of us in this boat. If you got the 14 Pro Max on launch day last year, our 13th payment will actually hit this Friday - so before you get the new iPhone and cancelling it.

With the new iPhone, you order it on Friday, it arrives the following Friday, and then you'll be making the first payment on the new iPhone, essentially doubling up this month.

Any idea how this gets handled? Any experience in getting that 13th payment back that is only covering a week until the new iPhone arrives? The only reason we'd have to pay that 13th payment is because of the timing of the new iPhone release. Thoughts?

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
From what I remember citizens one will refund the 13th payment. I had this problem the last time that happened and they automatically refunded the money.

They may place a hold too. We shall see what happens on Friday

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
I found somewhere that claimed:
  • Once Apple has received the previous “trade-in” iPhone back from the customer, Citizens One will issue a pro-rated credit to the customer, to cover any overpayment on the old iPhone loan, starting from the day of delivery of the new iPhone.

So if that's true, maybe it's mostly refunded? I guess I haven't really given it much thought. Because I'm now considering rolling my taxes into my installment loan too (which I learned you can do if you purchase the iPhone in store instead of online, allegedly), then this may be the first year in a long time I don't pre-order on the Friday before... and instead hope they have stock in the store not long after it goes on sale :)

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I went back through my credit card bills. I don’t see any refunds — ever. And, I’ve always bought launch day iPhones, and have done the IUP for years now.

I feel like I’m paying 13 payments each time.. anyone see refunds, ever?

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
I went back through my credit card bills. I don’t see any refunds — ever. And, I’ve always bought launch day iPhones, and have done the IUP for years now.

I feel like I’m paying 13 payments each time.. anyone see refunds, ever?
Sometimes it has depended on the year and the timing of the iPhone release. This year, the iPhone is out a whole week later, which is partially what has created the situation.

But, I know there have been at least 2 or 3 other times when there have been similar situations, and I don’t remember being refunded either - but this is also the first year I’ve been super aware of the timing (partially because I’m budgeting better than I used to, partially because I got my email with a payment reminder about the same time I was contemplating all this and thought… wait a minute)

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
This is exactly what I’ve been wondering too. I see the 13th payment coming out Friday. Hoping it gets refunded, or at least most of it.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Happened last year too. They refunded me. I get charged this upcoming Saturday. It is after you return previous iphone back to apple/close out that loan...then refund from citizen.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaterOz

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Apple just told me it won't be refunded but can't give me a reason why. I feel like I haven't been refunded in the past either but It doesn't make sense as to why it wouldn't be?

Our 12th payment was made in August...the phone doesn't come out until September...theres no phone to upgrade to in August so if you preorder the phone, why would you have to pay the 13th September payment?

My payment was charged on the 15th and I have one scheduled for the 25th (my wife and mine) I assume the one on the 25th won't charge but I want the payment from the 15th back. It doesn't make sense for them not to refund?

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
It seems like it’s not a full refund, but it’s at least partial. Studying the receipts I got back after purchase, Apple is sending Citizen’s about $45 more per returned iPhone than I owe in them still, so I should get $45 back per phone

Reactions: ChiefSaqif

ChiefSaqif

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
It seems like it’s not a full refund, but it’s at least partial. Studying the receipts I got back after purchase, Apple is sending Citizen’s about $45 more per returned iPhone than I owe in them still, so I should get $45 back per phone
has your citizens loan closed out on their site yet? I upgraded and traded in my phone on release day in person at the apple store and i’m still seeing the old loan with a balance still.

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Not yet, but the new accounts haven’t hit yet either. I think the paperwork said 3 days… so maybe tomorrow?

ChiefSaqif

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
Not yet, but the new accounts haven’t hit yet either. I think the paperwork said 3 days… so maybe tomorrow?
for me the new loan showed up on my account the same day I got the iphone but i also see my old one as well.

ChiefSaqif

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
My new loan is in there… but with a 0 balance. That should change tomorrow?
checked again and my old loan is now $-45 so now i’m waiting for them to send that to my credit card. Looks like it’s a partial refund for my 13th payment since my last payment was $54

Reactions: WaterOz

hrana

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
checked again and my old loan is now $-45 so now i’m waiting for them to send that to my credit card. Looks like it’s a partial refund for my 13th payment since my last payment was $54
I see credits on both iUP accounts that I upgraded on 9/22/2023. I browsed through old statements from 2022 or earlier but never saw a prorated refund in the statements although "I know" I received them as I have been in the program forever. Any idea of how long it takes for the refund to hit?

ChiefSaqif

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
I see credits on both iUP accounts that I upgraded on 9/22/2023. I browsed through old statements from 2022 or earlier but never saw a prorated refund in the statements although "I know" I received them as I have been in the program forever. Any idea of how long it takes for the refund to hit?
i called citizens and they said it takes around 2 weeks to process

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Per my understanding and experience, any extra payment of old phone due to late new phone release would be refunded prorated depending how late the phone is released because during that time the previous phone is “still” being used/leased/rented when the user is waiting for new phone.

ChiefSaqif

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
Hey friends! I know there are several of us in this boat. If you got the 14 Pro Max on launch day last year, our 13th payment will actually hit this Friday - so before you get the new iPhone and cancelling it.

With the new iPhone, you order it on Friday, it arrives the following Friday, and then you'll be making the first payment on the new iPhone, essentially doubling up this month.

Any idea how this gets handled? Any experience in getting that 13th payment back that is only covering a week until the new iPhone arrives? The only reason we'd have to pay that 13th payment is because of the timing of the new iPhone release. Thoughts?
I just got a partial refund from them for $45 from a $54 13th payment. makes sense since i had the old phone for an extra week

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Still waiting on mine but I can see a negative $54 balance on the account so I assume it’ll just get credited back

iConzo

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2023
Has anyone actually gotten this refund from Citizens yet? I have called 5 times and I keep getting the run around. I saw a negative balance on both of my iPhone 14 loan accounts, that then changed to a "Reversal" transaction. Citizens says that means I will be/was refunded, but every time I call I get a different message: "'You'll give a check within 2 months." "You'll get a get a credit card refund in a few days." "You'll get a check within 30 days." "It's a credit card refund, you should already have it." Nothing has shown up on my credit card yet, or in the mail. Most recently I was told they put in a case to manager and one would call me back - it's been a couple days now and nothing. So I called again and they said it takes up to a week to get a call back, but the person I spoke with before them told me 48 hours. Starting to get frustrated and just wondering if anyone has successfully gotten their credit yet.

iConzo

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2023
Yeah, mine was refunded right to my bank account
Thanks! I called Citizens two more times and got two more conflicting answers. Decided to dispute with my bank and today, as if by magic, the refunds miraculously showed up. The "manager" at Citizens I spoke with on Friday said they no longer had my credit card info to issue the refund, but it appears they did. Seems like a mess over there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.