Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
But what if you use a custom rom on a Samsung? It doesn't become as good or better than the Pixel?
I suppose so, but for the ordinary user this isn't something they'd want or be able to do. There are a lot of people who have said a Google Play Edition Samsung Galaxy S8 would be perfect! For those who don't know, Google used to offer certain devices in their store in a Play Edition - with just the Google version of Android, equivalent to a Pixel effectively. Updates directly from Google.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I am glad that I’m not like most people because I do like that option. I bet Apple can allow someone to switch it off if they felt like it.
So you look at your phone to pick it up and put it in your pocket, and it unlocks. Brilliant! I’m sure when Apple was testing prototypes they intentionally excluded this convenience.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I don’t think most people want their phone to unlock every time they look at it.

That’s why it doesn’t go to the home screen when you look at it. Yes, it unlocks, but you have to swipe up to open the phone.

Of course this is why it has a proximity sensor. So that it turns the screen off when you put it in your pocket.

But all of this could be entirely academic to you if you did one simple thing: turn off “raise to wake.” Then it won’t do anything until you decide you want it to.

Reactions: Sunnyday2017

Sunnyday2017

Suspended
Nov 10, 2017
So you look at your phone to pick it up and put it in your pocket, and it unlocks. Brilliant! I’m sure when Apple was testing prototypes they intentionally excluded this convenience.

When I pick up my phone it’s usually an arms distance and I don’t look at it to put in my pocket. I just pick it up put my pocket without looking at it. Very simple and as has been mentioned you can turn off if there was this option.

And besides, doesn’t the phone unlock when you pick it up ? No ? Unless you bring it up to your face within so many inches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surf Monkey

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I couldn't compromise my dignity by being a 'fanboy' of any multinational company.
Imo both sides are the same. Pixel fanboys are the same, with many defending the Pixel 2 as if it's the bestest Android phone ever, ignoring all the hardware flaws. Even Samsung fanboys have better reasons for fanboying their Galaxy S/Note than Pixel fanboys.
[doublepost=1511045549][/doublepost]
I think you jest! Can't remember when I last had a crash on Android! You do need to compare like with like though. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people say how much better their £1K MacBook is than their £250 Windows laptop . . .
Are you even using your Android phone then? Let's not even talk about 3rd party apps, I just had Android Auto and Google Maps crashed when I was driving. Crashes happen to any OS platforms. Claiming you never had crashes on Android is not any different than the Apple fanboys claiming they never had iOS spring board crashes.

Reactions: hgrimberg

booksbooks

Suspended
Aug 28, 2013
I'm not going to be dramatic about this, but Apple is dead to me.

Okay, they were not sophisticated enough to imbed a touch id button under the screen so instead they go with Face ID. That's fine. But don't take us for fools by using Face ID as one of the X's big ticket items. I feel robbed. We already had a security measure in place, so what do they do, use an alternative security measure as a big new thing to come to iphone because they have hardly anything else to talk about, they have run out of ideas, there is nothing new with the X

Wireless charging. Yea great. Now iphone is only 2 years behind every other phone.

Oled display. Seriously is Apple that bereft of ideas that they have to talk about what every other ****ing smartphone in 2017 has?

Better camera and more powerful chip. This is what you can expect to be the big feature next year because they will have nothing new for next year so expect a better camera and a more powerful chip next year too.

This was supposed to be the biggy. This year Apple was supposed to come out of its post Steve Jobs shell and deliver. **** them, all they did was another incremental upgrade, and I'm talkking about the iphone x.

Where's the big softeare features? Still the same boring as ******* grid of apps, no ability to customise, not even split screen multitasking, it's 2017 for crying out loud. - "the most advanced mobile phone operating system" - yea right, pig's farking ass it is.

Time to start looking at the Note 8 because Apple is dead to me after this keynote.

I agree with this. Apple is simply not innovative anymore. I run all their stuff. I've got a 12.9" iPad Pro, a new 15" MacBook Pro, and an iPhone X.

While I make due with these things, nothing has really changed for years.

The iPhone X is not compelling. I've had one since launch day, and today I was looking at it and it looks dated. Long, narrow screen. Thick black border all around. Massive camera bump that always gets in the way. And that god awful, damn notch that just ruins the looks and the usability.

I was going to return the X but two things have kept me sticking to it: lack of a home button and that the device is fast. I came from an iPhone 6 Plus, so the speed bump is noticeable. After using the X with no home button, I don't want to go back. But other than that, I don't like the phone that much, and can't recommend it to anyone. Especially at its price point.

I collect tech, and particularly Apple stuff. I do venture outside of Apple here and there, and I've got a mint early 2001 Sony Clie PDA. I've also got a Palm Pilot. If you put the iPhone next to one of these devices where each had their homescreen showing, you'd see that effectively, they're exactly the same.

We can rewind all the way back to the Apple Newton in 1993 to see the same old grid of icons. And the Newton borrowed this from previous devices from the 1980s.

iOS is stuck. Smartphone hardware isn't really doing much. All of this stuff year-over-year are just minor refinements, and I'm happy for improvements. But we need change for the better. Mobile operating systems that are much better for multi-tasking (iOS is horrible); and hardware that allows us to be more productive.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Apple is Dead to Me

Oh Apple, how thy luster has faded,
and our time is at an end.
It's to Samsung that I now must go,
just a sad word from a friend.
For many years I was loyal,
as we frolicked hand in hand.
But the times they are a changing,
you have lost another fan.

The End

Last edited:

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Really, why do people take it so personally when someone doesn't like the same phone as them??

That being said, I don't know why people need to make a thread about not liking a phone either. o_O

These companies have conditioned us to tie these devices to our very self identity. When you think about it, what phone people like and why shouldn't matter any more than their favourite colour.

I think that's what you call the fan boy mentality. I also wonder why people make threads that they don't like the phone. It's not going to make a difference whether they like it or not. Macrumors should have a "Vent" category.

DantesFire

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Rule the OP needs to follow: Don't ever get caught being too emotionally invested in a for-profit company, unless you're one of the execs.

It's just a tech company. The products aren't "magical" no matter how many times Tim Cook says so. It's stuff, and "stuff" is not as important as you think.

Take a few deep breaths. Have an adult beverage. Get laid. Do whatever it takes to calm yourself over this colossal disappointment and realize in the end it matters very little.

The voice of reason :)

Reactions: sigmadog

Sunnyday2017

Suspended
Nov 10, 2017
When the iPhone X is picked up placing it in your pocket it doesn’t unlock does it? So it shouldn’t open up either unless you bring it up to your face

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
When the iPhone X is picked up placing it in your pocket it doesn’t unlock does it? So it shouldn’t open up either unless you bring it up to your face
It does unlock the padlock icon if I’m looking at it and touch it or pick it up.

This is exactly why Apple is following the practices of the user intentionally taking an action to log into the phone.

Before it was press home button. Now it is swipe up.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I suppose so, but for the ordinary user this isn't something they'd want or be able to do. There are a lot of people who have said a Google Play Edition Samsung Galaxy S8 would be perfect! For those who don't know, Google used to offer certain devices in their store in a Play Edition - with just the Google version of Android, equivalent to a Pixel effectively. Updates directly from Google.

That is the problem with Samsungs. Unless you install a custom rom, it will be a piece of *****. Installing roms is a lot of work and after a few years, developers stop doing new roms for the new versions of Android and you end up without support sooner than with an iphone.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
71% of the world's population lives on less than $10 per day. And you "feel robbed" that a $1000 telephone that you will throw away in 2 years doesn't have the features you want.

Your problems don't matter.

Give it a rest. This is Macrumours and I'm talking iphones. If you were hoping to see me or someone else talk about our concerns for world poverty, you've come to the wrong place.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
71% of the world's population lives on less than $10 per day. And you "feel robbed" that a $1000 telephone that you will throw away in 2 years doesn't have the features you want.

Your problems don't matter.

The features I want are light weight and headphone jack. Latest models don't cut it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.