Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In all seriousness... all companies will change course that people don't like. Apple is not the ultimate company and they shouldn't be treated as gods. They just happen to make good things, but their charm is wearing off. That's a whole 'nther issue.

I have always been a supporter of Apple, not just because of the company logo or Steve Jobs, etc. But because I have high expectations when it comes to products that meet my standards, which I feel Apple has always has in terms of products that convenience my lifestyle and workflow with products like the MacBook, iPhone, iPad, EarPods, Apple Watch etc.

But I agree with you that they shouldn't be treated like they are some hierarchy praiseworthy company. They make mistakes, and they are far from perfect. Most importantly what makes Apple a successful company, it's not just selling the best made product, but they have to have the customer service that stands behind their product. And that's another reason why I support them.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I use gestures all day long on my iPad Pro. Other than authenticating an app, I never need to press the home button. Swipe up to enter app switcher and control panel, swipe up to delete apps, tap anywhere else and return home. I can swipe from the right to open the last app in my multitask window. I can use a geture to open split screen. There is even some 3D touch actions in a long press as they are found on the X. Gestures, gestures, gestures. I like them very much. As a matter fo fact, it was the gestures on my iPad that made me upgrade to the X.

Yea the iPad and trackpad gestures are great. I was just referring to the ones specific to the X. I just found it impressive to replace the home button with gestures and have it feel so natural. That’s all.

Reactions: jlczl

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
Here is my opinion to those who don’t like the iPhone. Bottom line if you don’t like it just go. Don’t post a long explanation as to why you are switching just do. We are at a point in our technological society that a cell phone is no longer a luxury it’s a necessity. It’s tool to be used to help us meet appointments and other such stuff. Not everyone will like the same features or apps and other aspects of a phone. So bottom line just go and be happy with whatever phone you choose we don’t really care what you think a cell phone manufacturer should do or not do in their designs. I can definitely reassure they don’t care what you think they should or shouldn’t release.

Bigg Macc

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2018
X is perfect weight with a huge screen.

Disagree.

Apple was unable to realize large screen phones had the bigger market. It is now playing the catch up game with 5.8, 6.1 and 6.5 next year.

Some who have little knowledge outside Apple were led to believe small screen phones would be the future. Laughable.

Last edited:

iphonenewuser

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
Disagree.

Apple was unable to realize large screen phones had the bigger market. It is now playing the catch up game with 5.8, 6.1 and 6.5 next year.

Some who have little knowledge outside Apple were led to believe small screen phones would be the future. Laughable.

Yeah, I remember those explained why iPhone has small screen (4.0") because it is for conveniently use with one hand then thay said it is perfect, no need bigger screens.
Then they forgot the explanation when iPhone 6+ came out then said the new size is perfect...

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
I would love to replace my iPhone with an Android devise this year. I started doing research and I have to say, nothing is better than the iPhone overall. I was surprised to see Samsung Note 8 to be so mega expensive.

I'm not going to be dramatic about this, but Apple is dead to me.

Okay, they were not sophisticated enough to imbed a touch id button under the screen so instead they go with Face ID. That's fine. But don't take us for fools by using Face ID as one of the X's big ticket items. I feel robbed. We already had a security measure in place, so what do they do, use an alternative security measure as a big new thing to come to iphone because they have hardly anything else to talk about, they have run out of ideas, there is nothing new with the X

Wireless charging. Yea great. Now iphone is only 2 years behind every other phone.

Oled display. Seriously is Apple that bereft of ideas that they have to talk about what every other ****ing smartphone in 2017 has?

Better camera and more powerful chip. This is what you can expect to be the big feature next year because they will have nothing new for next year so expect a better camera and a more powerful chip next year too.

This was supposed to be the biggy. This year Apple was supposed to come out of its post Steve Jobs shell and deliver. **** them, all they did was another incremental upgrade, and I'm talkking about the iphone x.

Where's the big softeare features? Still the same boring as ******* grid of apps, no ability to customise, not even split screen multitasking, it's 2017 for crying out loud. - "the most advanced mobile phone operating system" - yea right, pig's farking ass it is.

Time to start looking at the Note 8 because Apple is dead to me after this keynote.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
Currently the Note 8 has battery issues of it's own right now. I was reading the other day that if the battery gets below I think it was something like 20% it wouldn't charge. From my experience Samsung has the worst batteries. I have had the Galaxy S3, S4, and S6 and in all of them I went through at least 3 batteries each and I didn't even have them for a whole year before I had to replace the first battery.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Currently the Note 8 has battery issues of it's own right now. I was reading the other day that if the battery gets below I think it was something like 20% it wouldn't charge. From my experience Samsung has the worst batteries. I have had the Galaxy S3, S4, and S6 and in all of them I went through at least 3 batteries each and I didn't even have them for a whole year before I had to replace the first battery.

The Only thing I can speak to the Note 8, is that it does have a smaller battery compared to the Note 7, but I believe that was likely due to the Note 7 exploding battery issue back in 2016. And from the reviews I have read and watched, many Have expressed their displeasure with the battery life on the Note 8.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
bet you've never used a modern samsung smartphone.
the galaxy s8 was leagues ahead of the iphone 7, and the note 8 imo is a better package for roughly the same price than the iphone x.

even whe youre looking at it from a design perspective.

youre unreasonably biased here.

I had a Galaxy Note 3 for about 6 months and it was all I could take. It was great for about 2 months and then the random restarts, slow EVERYTHING, and battery issues took their toll.

Maybe they're better now but I have no intention of finding out.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I had a Galaxy Note 3 for about 6 months and it was all I could take. It was great for about 2 months and then the random restarts, slow EVERYTHING, and battery issues took their toll.

The note 3 isn’t modern. It’s 5 years old.

Reactions: 44267547

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

Note 3 is ancient history. it's a lot different now. Now; they lead, apple copies.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
I’ve had the note 8 since September. It was the phone I thought I wanted after using iPhones since 2007. I was just tired of iOS and if I’m being honest I just made myself believe I didn’t want the iPhone X (like a lot of others probably). This week I finally caved and ordered The iPhone X and if will be here tomorrow. I literally can’t wait to be out of this Note 8. And it’s not because the note 8 is trash or bad or whatever. It’s a great phone. But it has the same android weird crap that always happens after four or five months. Also typing sucks on it no matter what keyboard I use.

I’m excited about having the iPhone X.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve had the note 8 since September. It was the phone I thought I wanted after using iPhones since 2007. I was just tired of iOS and if I’m being honest I just made myself believe I didn’t want the iPhone X (like a lot of others probably). This week I finally caved and ordered The iPhone X and if will be here tomorrow. I literally can’t wait to be out of this Note 8. And it’s not because the note 8 is trash or bad or whatever. It’s a great phone. But it has the same android weird crap that always happens after four or five months. Also typing sucks on it no matter what keyboard I use.

I’m excited about having the iPhone X.

I like this post. Because you knew you wanted to try something different and you gave the Note 8 a fair opportunity to see if it was something that you would really appreciate, which you did like certain things. But ultimately you realize the experience was better with iOS and android was not for you. So I commend you for at least trying the other side before making fun of it like some others do just that have no experience with android at all. .

Reactions: Shanghaichica

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I like this post. Because you knew you wanted to try something different and you gave the Note 8 a fair opportunity to see if it was something that you would really appreciate, which you did like certain things. But ultimately you realize the experience was better with iOS and android was not for you. So I commend you for at least trying the other side before making fun of it like some others do just that have no experience with android at all. .

I had a run in with HR at work because I was given an S7 and I intentionally broke it. I literally threw the dam thing at the wall because it kept on slowing down, refusing to do a simple task and even lagging when typing.

After having used an Andoird/Samsung phone, I know I won't leave Apple's walled garden.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I had a run in with HR at work because I was given an S7 and I intentionally broke it. I literally threw the dam thing at the wall because it kept on slowing down, refusing to do a simple task and even lagging when typing.

After having used an Andoird/Samsung phone, I know I won't leave Apple's walled garden.
Did you have to pay to replace it? Do they know you broke it on purpose?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Everything on the OP's list made me roll my eyes.

Make the iPhone more secure and convenient? How dare them!

Use a screen that displaymate says..

"Based on our extensive lab tests and measurements the iPhone X becomes the Best Performing Smartphone Display that we have ever tested, earning DisplayMate’s highest ever A+ grade. The iPhone X is an impressive display with close to Text Book Perfect Calibration and Performance!!"

That is manufactured by the competition themselves. What were they thinking!?!?

Improve one of the best cameras on the market already? YAWN!

Make it even more powerful with benchmarks exceeding low to mid range laptops? Tim Cook is a fool!

If you can't appreciate the finer details of the iPhone than it probably isn't the right device for you anyway. The Note 8 is really big and has more RAM or something. If that sounds more appealing go for that, wont hurt our feelings.

Samuel79

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
I Not going to be dramatic about this but yes there is better phone makes out there that have 20 mp camera and all singing and dancing this and that but I believe what gets people to apple is there simplicity and the fact they never change the style of the iOS layout where others do it’s mfi prof and that’s why it gets a lot of people in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.