Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I sure hope this isn't an official Apple ad, and as others have said - it just doesn't seem like an Apple ad.

Of course ... it does subtly illustrate that the killer feature of the MacAir currently is that you can get some fun stickers for it... Which seemed to also be a huge part of the iPhone 5C campaign - those tacky looking cases. Ugh.

Waiting eagerly for the product reveals! It has been a while since I've been excited for any new Apple product, and I'm ready to buy a new phone! (they lost my sale on a new MacAir because ... well, its display is atrocious).

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
Seems completely pointless to me. What do people really like about it? How is it differentiating Apple from anyone else? I can put any sticker I want on a toaster if that's what I'm into.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
I sure hope this isn't an official Apple ad, and as others have said - it just doesn't seem like an Apple ad.

Then again, what is an Apple ad? Apple has had many formulas for ads while maintaining the same aesthetic quality, which this spot does.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
Seems completely pointless to me. What do people really like about it? How is it differentiating Apple from anyone else? I can put any sticker I want on a toaster if that's what I'm into.

Again, that's not the point. I'm not sure if the message is lost in translation, but this is the machine people "love"; they express their love for it by adorning it with expressions of their personality because the MacBook Air, by virtue of its hardware/software, allows them to better communicate their personality. I think that's the message being sent here.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Then again, what is an Apple ad? Apple has had many formulas for ads while maintaining the same aesthetic quality, which this spot does.

When does Apple share their advertising with other brands? Or show that their design has to be 'completed' by a tacky add-on? It just doesn't seem to embody what they stood for in the "return of Steve Jobs" era.

But for better or worse, the company is changing in small and large ways. So, it just might be the sign of a new Apple.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
Vid. description: "A celebration of all the many ways people love the MacBook Air, featuring music from artist/producer, Hudson Mohawke."

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
While I love Apple advertising something so humble that many people do, I can't stand it when people put stickers on the back the computer! :mad:

Where do you people even order those? Amazon? I've never seen them in any store.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
yeah i feel like the "new apple" is more customer friendly. they actually started listening to users when iOS 7 came out, and now they are showing that they know customers like to customize macs with stickers. but that rainbow logo tho :p

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
When does Apple share their advertising with other brands? Or show that their design has to be 'completed' by a tacky add-on? It just doesn't seem to embody what they stood for in the "return of Steve Jobs" era.

Apple advertises apps from third party developers all the time. iTunes ads from the iPod era featured artists mainly. They are using culture to reinforce and sell the product. The MacBook Air exists at the heart of your life; the tool that let's you discover other brands. Apple isn't simply a brand according to the ad; it's is THE brand; it is THE window to the world and to culture.

The stickers may be tacky, but the product isn't. I think what people are doing are lumping the "stickers" folks into one category and you're either sticker/non sticker. I think Apple isn't addressing that crowd but is addressing the idea that stickers appease NUMEROUS categories of topics and interests. So this isn't a sticker/non sticker thing. It's addressing the various creative expressions within the stickers displayed, if that makes sense.

----------

While I love Apple advertising something so humble that many people do, I can't stand it when people put stickers on the back the computer! :mad:

Where do you people even order those? Amazon? I've never seen them in any store.

I think so. It's certainly not something I would do lol.

MacBook Air is the cheapest system; this ad appeals to young people. That's who it's for really. And it's going to leave an impression in my opinion.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Great ad from Apple, Glad to see the company evolving with its advertising.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
PLUS, uh'doy, it's BACK TO SCHOOL season, and college campuses are SWARMING with students with stickers on their computers. The riddle has been solved and I'm pretty sure that's what this ad is marketed to. Millennials are gonna love it as I secretly love it myself. Only ironically though.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA

But for better or worse, the company is changing in small and large ways. So, it just might be the sign of a new Apple.

The company is indeed changing. No matter how much of Jobs' DNA is in the company, it'll slowly but surely alter itself over time, especially as new and different people pass through the company. Hopefully it retains the best of what was there in the Jobs era.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I like this. It has a bit of a nostalgic feel and I think that's important when the back to school season is upcoming and we have parents looking into buying their kids their laptops.

Also, I think people are missing something. It's not 'yay, you can put stickers on this laptop', it's 'yay, people love this computer so much that they want to make it their own and show it off'. That's the message.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Teens will love it, I find it refreshing. At least it doesn't look like they're targeting parents and middle aged people which was getting really boringggg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.