Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010

Attachments

• stickers.png
    stickers.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 155

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I don't think I would ever put stickers or decals on my MacBook Pro but I liked the commercial when I saw it on TV tonight. I'm pretty sure this is aimed at the back to school crowd though. It's the first Apple commercial in a while where I wasn't somewhat disappointed or thought it came off as mushy or corny. If this was done internally, I'm happy with the way they are going.

It's nice to see them embracing the classic Apple logo again as well. I think Tim and others realize many people at this point see even the older Macs as cool again instead of a reminder of Apple's darker days.

I would love to see Apple embrace their past enough to where they make an official Mac Classic emulator capable of running classic mac software available in the App Store. I think Apple embracing old games and software would also be a good sign for developers as they could possibly continue to make money from their work years or decades later. I would kill for some flying toasters and other After Dark screensavers that are compatible with the modern Mac OS.

justinhu8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
I think the shifting of the lightning and general shifty look is intentional, and I like it

theFly

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
A Window Sill in Cupertino
Of course I get the ad. I'm just pointing out that Apple has never released an ad where every tiny detail wasn't considered.

Think of it this way: This isn't an ad about about one computer with different stickers on it. This is an add about different computers and the different ways people personalize them. So not having them perfectly lined up shows that it's not the same computer.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I like it more than most of the recent ads, the "imperfections" transport the message of making your Macbook a bit more personal with decals (of course that "individualization" goes about as far as "there are thousands of Homer-bites-Apple stickers around", but still...). If it were all about decals, one Macbook would have been shown rock solid with switching decals. The lit Apple logo definitely is iconic and that shows throughout the ad, makes the marketing extremely simple but effective.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Simple. Effective.

None of this fluff like things being "magical" or whatever.

Good job, Apple. Marketing revamp is working if this is the kind of stuff we can expect.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
And slow one day before earnings release.
Oh well, tomorrow we can debate the relative merits of holding $150+ billion in cash and marketable securities.

Maybe, so long as the article is not accompanied by a picture of Carl Icahn.

----------

I'm sure Arn will be speeding things up after such well-put commentary. :p

Holding out no hope. I mean, why should that be necessary with so much excitement being expressed over one stinking ad?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Might have been said already (too lazy to look through all the pages) but dare I make the suggestion Beats had an influence on this ad? I like it, although it definitely seems more of Beats (generational) style ad.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it..

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
The notebook people love?

People would love it more if they'd hurry up and release a Retina version!

BoingoBongo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I think this is a great ad. Lots to dissect about it.

It reminds me of the iPod ads from the 2002-2005 era, which were colorful, full of personality, and kind of messy (in an intentional way) with the product's features not acting as the main point. This also why I find it funny that a number of people are saying the ad is not "Apple-like."

It seems more Apple-like than anything I've seen in a few years.

livingonvideo13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I loved it

Here is a picture of my retina MacBook with bright orange translucent cover. Don't like it? Sue me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 68

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Anyone know where to get the Cookie Monster blue decal? Lol... showed it to one of my friends and they wanted that decal..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.