Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Again, that's not the point. I'm not sure if the message is lost in translation, but this is the machine people "love"; they express their love for it by adorning it with expressions of their personality because the MacBook Air, by virtue of its hardware/software, allows them to better communicate their personality. I think that's the message being sent here.

Even more to the point, all the stickers chosen put the Apple logo on a pedestal. They're not a sticker of their favorite band, batman, or the avengers or some crap like that. They're creatively highlighting the love for the Apple logo.

It's a billboard in motion. No need for details and specs on the ram or the OS. Just a reminder that people love Apple.

----------

What are they selling? Only the last few seconds give a clue. Shotgun advertising sucks. I didn't see a single benefit displayed. They must be wanting people to use their stuff for things I would never engage in.

When you see a drink Coke billboard, does it explain the benefits or taste or how it's manufactured? No. It just says Drink Coke. Or even just Coke. Or Pepsi, or whatever. This is just a billboard in motion. Like 99% of the ads these days.

sibham

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2014
I doubt this is an Apple ad. Just as szw-mapple fan mentioned: the MBA's position varies (ever so slightly) between sticker changes; look at the edges and how the position of the Apple logo changes.

I think Apple would want the ad (and the MBA positioning) to be 100% perfect.

I think Apple wanted the ad exactly how we saw it.
A perfectly positioned MBA might look odd - 'too perfect', and ruin the effect.

They've probably done hundreds of side by side comparisons - this is the one they wanted us to see.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
You can order your laptop stickers here.

http://www.segraphics-store.com

We love custom orders as well!

I wish you luck in your business but your designs don't interact with the Apple logo in a clever way so I wouldn't buy them. You need to design clever ones to get people's attention, especially creative types.

P.S. I would have sent this advice privately but your profile wasn't set up for that.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Now saw the full-res ad today on the Apple site...

I am still wowed that Apple actually is *really* using the 6-color logo again in their advertising. Hopefully we will see the logo appear on products again in the future. That would be very awesome if Apple brought the logo BACK because that little colored Apple logo did so much to make every product look quality, hip, and cool. I mean it. I miss the logo very much.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Seriously? Go buy one because you can put stickers on it? Presumably they couldn't think of anything else to say as it basically hasn't changed for the past 2 years. I love the MBA but come on Apple you can do better than this.

Do you come to this forum just to moan? I seem to remember your username coming up a lot on an iWatch thread...

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Seriously? Go buy one because you can put stickers on it? Presumably they couldn't think of anything else to say as it basically hasn't changed for the past 2 years. I love the MBA but come on Apple you can do better than this.

I think you're underestimating the emotional power of this. It's not about specs or features, it's about the emotional connection that people have with their computers. Many people name their computers, after all! Customisation and use play into that - given the scuffs, etc, these may actually be computers owned by Apple employees or average customers, even.

The affection that people have towards a brand is incredibly powerful - see the feel good polar bear Coke commercials. They say little about 'Coke' as a drink, but they play on your emotions.

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Okay apparently nobody else noticed...

Am I the only one realizing Dre's influence on this ad? Clearly The Doctor definitely chose this Hudson Mohawke song for the ad and clearly he knew it was time for an ad like this. Am I the only one getting that vibe? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE IT. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that caught that?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The F! Macbook ad gets a revisit to the classic Apple logo but the pride parade gets stuck with this!?

(jk)

I know it's a joke, but keep in mind that the classic Apple symbol and the LGBT rainbow are completely different rainbows. The placement/arrangement of the colors are COMPLETELY different.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
This is freaking awesome. I love all my decals. So does this mean they'll begin selling them? Because although I don't mind waiting to get them off the boat from China after four weeks of waiting, first-party decals would be way cooler.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Do you come to this forum just to moan? I seem to remember your username coming up a lot on an iWatch thread...

No but there is a lot to moan about.

----------

I think you're underestimating the emotional power of this. It's not about specs or features, it's about the emotional connection that people have with their computers. Many people name their computers, after all! Customisation and use play into that - given the scuffs, etc, these may actually be computers owned by Apple employees or average customers, even.

The affection that people have towards a brand is incredibly powerful - see the feel good polar bear Coke commercials. They say little about 'Coke' as a drink, but they play on your emotions.

Maybe so, can't say I've ever had an emotional attachment to my computer but I guess some people might. I hate sentimentality in adverts. It's lazy and just tells me they have nothing interesting to say about the product.

Who is this ad aimed at? 10 year old girls? Seems like it to me.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Stickers? Really? I am not sure what is more shocking: how awful this ad is or how many lemmings love it!

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
No but there is a lot to moan about.

----------

Maybe so, can't say I've ever had an emotional attachment to my computer but I guess some people might. I hate sentimentality in adverts. It's lazy and just tells me they have nothing interesting to say about the product.

Who is this ad aimed at? 10 year old girls? Seems like it to me.

Hmmm, I just turned 50 and I have a Snoopy and Woodstock sticker on one of my MacBook Pros. Helps me distinguish it from the other MacBookPro I often have open side by side. Still deciding on a decal for that one.

What you call "sentimentality" other people call "establishing a product as a lifestyle brand" and not just a random hunk of boring hardware. Basically, it says people who use non-Apple computers aren't as passionate about them and don't see them as anything more interesting as a generic hammer. Certainly nothing they would accessorize to make them more publicly custom and a statement of the owner's personality and interests. There are people who just see their car as a means to get from point A to point B and other people who like to trick them out because they love the car and want it to represent their personality. Other people dress their pets or get a tattoo. When a product does that, it helps create product loyalty.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I seem to remember hearing something about Apple moving all of their advertising internal to the company and not farming it out to outside ad agencies a while back. Does anyone remember that?

I wonder if this is an example of Apple's own in-house advertisement design and direction?

As for the add itself I have to agree with the others who love it. I think it hits right at the heart of what it is to own an Apple product: you connect with it emotionally and you make it your own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.