Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
OP isn’t trying to claim damages from data loss. he’s claiming damages from the loss of HIS ENTIRE MACHINE. no hardware to be found. gonzo. lost. stolen. whatever. he now owns zero laptops, whereas before he visited the apple store he owned one.

he just wants one laptop back that has the same functionality as his old one.
This is right. I already know and started accepting my device and data inside are gone. I am still worried about my data, but there is no chance. I just now want a solution from Apple, which gives me the same functionality of my early 2015 (my lovely poor decent computer?)

OP has TimeMachine backups already.

he has already
backed up all of his files.

he is worried about
DATA THEFT
This is correct as well. I got all the TimeMachine and iCloud backups. But data theft irritates me a bit.

Is there any reason why the OP one minute after knowing that his laptop was lost did not remotely erase it instead of wasting time posting on a forum how much he is worried?
Actually I did not because I still had hope that maybe my device was NOT lost. Because we are in christmas time, and Apple did not confirm it to be lost last week. Hence they advised me to wait. And I wanted to take no action on iCloud. But now my device is tagged as “lost” on iCloud.

That is not the point. Any hint of something going wrong, first call of action is to log into apple account and activate 'Find my...' to prevent unauthorised access to the macbook. If during the investigation the macbook is found the OP can easily return to apple account and remove 'Find my..' from the device list.

A number of members here told the OP to activate 'Find my..' but we do not know if the OP has done this yet or when.
I do not 100% get what you mean by “find my...”, I have been using that application that allows me to track all of my Apple devices. On this, I just tagged my computer as “lost”, that was all I have done so far.

Any updates?!??
I know. 10 pages of comments, we’re all just dying to know what happens!
I am more than dying like you as well. But unfortunately I had no call from Apple or from the manager today. However they should have called me, because yesterday they promised me to call in 24 hours, as the UPS was supposed to give the final result in 24 hours as well.

I waited today for a phone call until 20.00, and I was working so I could not go to the store directly. But tomorrow I am working until noon, then I will go there.

The fact that they promised and did not call today made me to lose my last trust to Apple, and especially the manager at the store.

We will see what happens tomorrow noon.
I am also checking the repair status of my “lost” device, there is no news as well.
I can not understand what is happening and why they did not call me today, but tomorrow all should be resolved after all.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
This is right. I already know and started accepting my device and data inside are gone. I am still worried about my data, but there is no chance. I just now want a solution from Apple, which gives me the same functionality of my early 2015 (my lovely poor decent computer?)

This is correct as well. I got all the TimeMachine and iCloud backups. But data theft irritates me a bit.

Actually I did not because I still had hope that maybe my device was NOT lost. Because we are in christmas time, and Apple did not confirm it to be lost last week. Hence they advised me to wait. And I wanted to take no action on iCloud. But now my device is tagged as “lost” on iCloud.

I do not 100% get what you mean by “find my...”, I have been using that application that allows me to track all of my Apple devices. On this, I just tagged my computer as “lost”, that was all I have done so far.

I am more than dying like you as well. But unfortunately I had no call from Apple or from the manager today. However they should have called me, because yesterday they promised me to call in 24 hours, as the UPS was supposed to give the final result in 24 hours as well.

I waited today for a phone call until 20.00, and I was working so I could not go to the store directly. But tomorrow I am working until noon, then I will go there.

The fact that they promised and did not call today made me to lose my last trust to Apple, and especially the manager at the store.

We will see what happens tomorrow noon.
I am also checking the repair status of my “lost” device, there is no news as well.
I can not understand what is happening and why they did not call me today, but tomorrow all should be resolved after all.
Well... You can always POLITELY ask why they didn't call you today (tomorrow).

(make them feel bad tomorrow) because they said they would let you know in 24 hours (they lied to you) Makes them feel even worse when they lie to YOUR FACE. (gives you a better chance to get the 14" pro for free) because they feel bad and want to make it better for YOU.

Good luck! ;)

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Yes, in a perfect world. Unfortunately we don't live there. In hindsight we all know what is best. You can be formal or judgemental about it all you want but people make mistakes. That makes them human.

In a perfect world Apple should not have lost a laptop either and yet here we are...
Sorry, but the very idea of sending personal data through the system that’s unencrypted is the real issue here.

Personal responsibility is a big thing: it’s not just the OPs data that they need to be potentially worried about - it’s other peoples data that they might have on their PC as well.

People don’t consider risk and others invariably end up paying the price for it.

I’ve been on the receiving end of that - someone I know copied some of my personal information onto a USB stick to ‘transport it’ to a computer at home. Next thing I knew they’d lost it, and some of my information was left in the hands of someone who then used it for their own personal gain against me.

So yeah, I take this sort of thing VERY seriously.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Well... You can always POLITELY ask why they didn't call you today (tomorrow).

(make them feel bad tomorrow) because they said they would let you know in 24 hours (they lied to you) Makes them feel even worse when they lie to YOUR FACE. (gives you a better chance to get the 14" pro for free) because they feel bad and want to make it better for YOU.

Good luck! ;)
I am still not really mad at them, I do not take it personally, at least trying to do this in that way. I am still calm and in the same mood, like a bit sadness you know.

However the lie is something I can not stand. Probably they will tell me that there was no news from UPS, hence they did not call me. In any case, they should have called me to make me updated as well, because they already promised.

Yeah we will see what they tell me tomorrow. I am getting a bit more stressed and anxious, however I am still calm and reasonable to talk in a positive way. I do not want to be a trouble for them as well.

Reactions: BreakYurAnkles

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
I wonder, if they do offer you a 2015 refurbished MBP, you could ask instead for an Apple Gift Card to put towards a new Mac?

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
I am still not really mad at them, I do not take it personally, at least trying to do this in that way. I am still calm and in the same mood, like a bit sadness you know.

However the lie is something I can not stand. Probably they will tell me that there was no news from UPS, hence they did not call me. In any case, they should have called me to make me updated as well, because they already promised.

Yeah we will see what they tell me tomorrow. I am getting a bit more stressed and anxious, however I am still calm and reasonable to talk in a positive way. I do not want to be a trouble for them as well.
I agree, There's no reason to be mad.

Use today and this situation to your advantage.

They lied to your face, they did not call you as promised today, which if they did call you, you might have a new laptop for your work and University NOW today. But you have to wait and call them or go to the store (more work for you). All of this makes life harder for you because they did not update you on the situation.

Once you let them know and discuss/express your bad feelings/pain/stress/anxiety. When they offer you a replacement they will be *more likely* to give you 14" no problems. I do not promise or guarantee this will happen but doing these things should help you get what you want.

Good luck.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Offer to pay the difference.
Actually I am a student who has a limited financial, and I am avoiding to pay the difference as it is a bit beyond my financial limit. Additionally, in terms functionality comparable devices, 2021 14” is the closer one to my lovely Early 2015 device. Hence they should not insist on the 2020 13”, it is way more different than my lost device:
1) it does not support 2 additional displays
2) it does not have ports like HDMI and SD cards which I use always at my job

Reactions: msackey

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Actually I am a student who has a limited financial, and I am avoiding to pay the difference as it is a bit beyond my financial limit. Additionally, in terms functionality comparable devices, 2021 14” is the closer one to my lovely Early 2015 device. Hence they should not insist on the 2020 13”, it is way more different than my lost device:
Not to belabor the point, but while I agree with everything you say--you're options are constrained by 2 facts.
1) While the features of the new 14" are closer to your 2015 base model, Apple still wants to match you base model MBP to base model MBP; which is the 13" M1. If Apple had replaced the 13" M1 with the 14" then you would have a very strong case...but regardless of functionality, in Apple's eyes, the equivalent base model you bought in 2015 is the 13" M1.
2) You are constrained by what the manager has the ability to do. While I do not know Apple's full policies, I doubt they give their retail managers full ability to chose what to do in these scenarios. Perhaps that's why the manager hasn't gotten back to you yet--they are still awaiting a response from higher management on what to do in this scenario.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
could not be bothered. that's just my two cents for the OP
yea, people thinks that you have time to read the whole comments...probably those people have nothing else to do
I agree with you, and this will be the result, 14" M1 pro with the difference paid by OP
I could not leave with my tool...so i think for OP was just a normal device, and not working device since he can wait for so long
I hope the waiting time will benefit the OP at the end

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Wow, this thread is still going. Think I might just turn notifications off. Leaving for Austria now to go snowboarding. Peace.
are you going to use OPs lost mac as snowboard ? since i bet OP will already have a brand new macbook pro

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Whatever you do and decide don’t go with the absurd suggestions of upgrading the machine to 32gb ram. They may as well be telling you to try to get the M1 Max Too while you’re at it. Either machine will be a massive upgrade to what you had before.

If you don’t mind the bigger size the 14 is the better machine I’ve used both. The 120hz screen is nice. I find the weight and smaller size of the 13s to be superior for my uses though and am awaiting the debut of 120hz on the next air or MacBook or whatever it will be called. Enjoy the new machine.

robinson0001

Suspended
Oct 22, 2021
I am planning the same if this is the case. But I am pretty sure they will insist on giving me the 2020 model 13" because mine was also the early 2015 base model 13" with 8GB ram and 128GB SSD.
Actually, they should give me the newest model, which is 2021, as you said, but I am pretty sure they will try everything to avoid this.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The need to be able to drive two external monitors is the thing I'd be stating as minimum requirement from the replacement. Forget about the ports as you could use a small hub or adapters (which you might not like, but at least there's a solution), but if you need two displays, stick to your guns.

Reactions: msackey

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Whatever you do and decide don’t go with the absurd suggestions of upgrading the machine to 32gb ram. They may as well be telling you to try to get the M1 Max Too while you’re at it. Either machine will be a massive upgrade to what you had before.

If you don’t mind the bigger size the 14 is the better machine I’ve used both. The 120hz screen is nice. I find the weight and smaller size of the 13s to be superior for my uses though and am awaiting the debut of 120hz on the next air or MacBook or whatever it will be called. Enjoy the new machine.

No definitely I won’t make any upgrade, and I can not wait more. I already missed lots of works at my job, and lots of programming submissions at the university. Everything is going now pretty bad, Apple better helps me asap.

The need to be able to drive two external monitors is the thing I'd be stating as minimum requirement from the replacement. Forget about the ports as you could use a small hub or adapters (which you might not like, but at least there's a solution), but if you need two displays, stick to your guns.
Probably you are right. I did not notice that display problem when they first offered me the 2020 13” M1, but then I made some researches and noticed that M1 processors support only one display. This is something that is impossible for me because at work we have to use always 3 displays. One is the laptop, and 2 additional big displays. In addition to this, HDMI and SD card slots are my essential daily items.

I am not trying to get a benefit from the bad situation I am in, but I hope Apple understands that my lost device is not at the same phase with the 2020 M1 ones.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020

The last two points should hopefully be significant enough for them to realize why you need a better device than what they offered. Good luck!

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
If Apple policy is to offer replacement, then I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect the 14 inch MBPro as a like-for-like replacement.

I am sad that the OP has lost their 2015 model. I'm sitting here typing on my 2014 13 inch, and they are still really useful machines. The inbuilt USB-A, SD-card, HDMI, and its ability to drive two external displays, are a real benefit day-to-day.

Since I don't do intense computation/video, to me these features (and those on the 14 inch MBPro) are worth much more productivity wise than a 2x faster Geekbench score.

The 2020 MBPro, with its lack of ports, is more like a replacement for a 2015 MacBookAir.

Reactions: GoztepeEge

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
If Apple policy is to offer replacement, then I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect the 14 inch MBPro as a like-for-like replacement.

I am sad that the OP has lost their 2015 model. I'm sitting here typing on my 2014 13 inch, and they are still really useful machines. The inbuilt USB-A, SD-card, HDMI, and its ability to drive two external displays, are a real benefit day-to-day.

Since I don't do intense computation/video, to me these features (and those on the 14 inch MBPro) are worth much more productivity wise than a 2x faster Geekbench score.
We are definitely speaking the same language. You know what I mean, you understand how it feels to have these productivity and usability items.

Your device is 2014 and you are still happy with it. My lost early 2015 was the same for me. It was a legendary computer. Hence I decided not to buy a new one and just to replace its battery, so that giving a new healthy life to it.

2020 M1 MBP definitely takes these features away from me. No 2 additional displays, no HDMI, no SD card, NO USB-A (I will try to handle with the USB-A in either way).

So where is the compensation in this case?
I have been already in love with my lost early 2015, it was a perfect one for me, but 2020 M1 has lots of disadvantages in terms of my usage goals.

I am glad you got the point I am trying to tell. I do not need a hyper-fast device. I need usability, productivity, 2 additional display suppport, and those input ports.

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
We are definitely speaking the same language. You know what I mean, you understand how it feels to have these productivity and usability items.

Your device is 2014 and you are still happy with it. My lost early 2015 was the same for me. It was a legendary computer. Hence I decided not to buy a new one and just to replace its battery, so that giving a new healthy life to it.

2020 M1 MBP definitely takes these features away from me. No 2 additional displays, no HDMI, no SD card, NO USB-A (I will try to handle with the USB-A in either way).

So where is the compensation in this case?
I have been already in love with my lost early 2015, it was a perfect one for me, but 2020 M1 has lots of disadvantages in terms of my usage goals.

I am glad you got the point I am trying to tell. I do not need a hyper-fast device. I need usability, productivity, 2 additional display suppport, and those input ports.
You will still need 1 adapter if you use/need USB-A (rectangle) because the new 14" is only USB-C (oval)

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
You will still need 1 adapter if you use/need USB-A (rectangle) because the new 14" is only USB-C (oval)
Yes I know. But this is not a big issue because I was rarely using my normal USB ports on my lost early 2015 as well. HDMI and SD card slots are more important than this.

It would be also better if 2021 has a USB-A port as well, however no problem. It has at least HDMI, SD, and Magsafe, which I really like.

Reactions: BreakYurAnkles
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.