Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Leaving any information on the hard drive that cannot be replaced from either a backup locally or from the cloud is irresponsible. the Genius Bar should have told you this prior to taking your device.

On two occasions in the past, I had devices sent in for repair where the hard drive was reformatted upon return. Both times were hardware related support requests.

Since a 2015 MBP might be hard to come by, I would say a refurbished 2020 M1 MBP would be the one they offer you with similar specs (the Intel models are cost more money in the refurb store over the M1 models). If they do offer a 14" 2021 model, surely feel lucky.

Did it have any battery? Did you see if you could locate it in find my device?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I doubt it is really permanently lost. Just temporarily lost.
But if it is, I think they will likely replace with a new 2019 15”. I expect they will still have stock, for warranty or Applecare replacements

Last edited:
Reactions: GoztepeEge

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
No. Your data is your creation and your responsibility - No-one at Apple created your files. Apple warrants the hardware.

I had a customer purchase an Xserve (yes, this is many years ago!), but refused our proposed back-up system. The Xserve had a failure, and they lost their company data. They wanted to sue both us and Apple Computer for their data loss. Never happened - their own legal people advised them against such a pointless exercise, especially as THEY had refused any (written) advice regarding backup strategies. Data is the user/owner's responsibility.

One another point, it's often not possible for the user to perform a backup or wipe if their computer is unusable when they take it in for repairs. In the OP's case, he should remote wipe it, if possible.

You’re missing the point. The argument isn’t about them losing your data and you not having a backup. The argument is that they misplaced your machine WITH your personal customer data on it and have no idea where it is. It could be in the hands of another customer! Or an a disgruntled employee. The point being: if they can’t account for its whereabouts, then they are responsible for your sensitive personal data potentially falling into the wrong hands. That is something you can absolutely sue them for. And I’ve seen it happen successfully through an Apple store.

• Angry
Reactions: EmotionalSnow

macuser1000

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
For best results, be calm and patient whenever working with the Apple Geniuses. If you get an unsatisfactory offer, ask to speak with a manager.

They want to resolve these types of no fault of the customer issues so the customer walks away satisfied or better.

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
I am pretty sure that you should back up your personal data before turning in the mac for repair
This might be an option for sure, however for now I am a bit optimistic, trying to find an optimal solution for both sides. In addition I have no lawyer here in Germany.

But of course if they deny helping me, things must get harder. In that case I will need a lawyer I guess.
For now I am just pushing them personally and waiting a nice compensation or solution from them, if my computer is really lost.

It’s not about the loss of data; it’s about them not securing a customer’s sensitive personal data. If they can’t account for the computer’s whereabouts, if it was lost or stolen or given to another customer by mistake, then they are liable for that egregious error and putting a customer’s personal data at risk.

• Angry

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
Laugh all you want, but there is no case here beyond replacement of his laptop with equal value. That's what he lost and all he's entitled to.

I’d leave that judgment to someone who actually knows the law. You clearly don’t. And I won’t pretend to know it in Germany either. But the OP should explore this. You can absolutely sue Apple if they lose or misplace your machine. *I’ve seen it done successfully* in the U.S. and it didn’t even go to court, Apple settled quickly to keep it quiet.

• Angry

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
OP is in Germany. Even in the US, he will not need to do any of that because Apple has impeccable service. Do you even own an apple product or have you dealt with their customer service? Your response leads me to believe you may not have even visited the Genius bar.

Hilarious. I worked behind a Genius Bar. (How ‘bout them apples?!)

• Angry

cablefun

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Well, you left the laptop at Apple Store. Apple chose UPS to deliver the laptop back to you, as I understand. You have nothing to do with the Apple-UPS relationship. When Apple chose another company to do it, it assumed all the risks associated with such a company's activity.

Apple should compensate it for you. They can try to send you a similar model, but, legal aspects aside, that is not the best way to treat customers, as this is the bare minimum that they could do. Apple should give you some sort of "gift" for all the inconvenience they caused. Giving you a maxed-out MacBook Pro would be a good way to transform this awkward and unpleasant situation into a great customer experience.
Gift ? that gift will be the apology. Not legally entitled to any compensation.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
When they replace the laptop - which is probably what will happen here - it will be with ‘like or better’. Since they no longer sell that model refurbished, and one could argue the refurbished laptops are lesser units, this will mean it‘s a new unit. As far as which they will give you, that is a toss up. I would expect they will probably give you the base model 14” as that is the most modern ‘equivalent‘ to the model you brought in. The 2-port M1 machine would technically be considered a lower-spec, and I think the lack of ports alone supports that argument.

Remember nothing can be upgraded after purchase, unlike the 2015 that was lost where the SSD could still be replaced. Make sure you get the spec you want. The handful of times they have had to do a retail swap for me, they typically select the most ‘like’ model and allow you to pay the difference for a higher-end model. When my 2015 MBP was going in for it’s 6-7th repair, they offered the retail swap. The value they were giving me was equivalent to the just-released (that week actually) 2018 model with the same RAM and storage as my 2015 (16GB/256). They had no problem with me paying the extra $400 or so and getting the 16GB/512 model.

This is a bit of a different situation here however. Apple (or an actor on Apple’s behalf, eg UPS) lost your machine and they are liable for it. As such, it is on them to make you whole. All the retails swaps I had were due to multiple extensive repairs. I would ask that they at least give the value of the base-model 14” to play around with and order any additional upgrade you want at your own cost on top of that.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
When they replace the laptop - which is probably what will happen here - it will be with ‘like or better’. Since they no longer sell that model refurbished, and one could argue the refurbished laptops are lesser units, this will mean it‘s a new unit. As far as which they will give you, that is a toss up. I would expect they will probably give you the base model 14” as that is the most modern ‘equivalent‘ to the model you brought in. The 2-port M1 machine would technically be considered a lower-spec, and I think the lack of ports alone supports that argument.

Remember nothing can be upgraded after purchase, unlike the 2015 that was lost where the SSD could still be replaced. Make sure you get the spec you want. The handful of times they have had to do a retail swap for me, they typically select the most ‘like’ model and allow you to pay the difference for a higher-end model. When my 2015 MBP was going in for it’s 6-7th repair, they offered the retail swap. The value they were giving me was equivalent to the just-released (that week actually) 2018 model with the same RAM and storage as my 2015 (16GB/256). They had no problem with me paying the extra $400 or so and getting the 16GB/512 model.

This is a bit of a different situation here however. Apple (or an actor on Apple’s behalf, eg UPS) lost your machine and they are liable for it. As such, it is on them to make you whole. All the retails swaps I had were due to multiple extensive repairs. I would ask that they at least give the value of the base-model 14” to play around with and order any additional upgrade you want at your own cost on top of that.
This makes sense to me as well. We are not sure if they offer me a replacement or a refurbished one, does not matter too much, however for now my device seems still be lost.

If the replacement takes place, I will surely try to upgrade it by paying the additional cost. This makes sense.

My early 2015 was the newest generation model when I purchased it, but I am not sure if Apple offers me a 14” 2021 or 13” 2020 model, no idea tough. This is a bit tricky I guess, I can not choose which one the more relevant is.

Last edited:
Reactions: appltech

BreakYurAnkles

Suspended
Oct 17, 2021
This makes sense to me as well. We are not sure if they offer me a replacement or a refurbished one, does not matter too much, however for now my device seems still be lost.

If the replacement takes place, I will surely try to upgrade it by paying the additional cost. This makes sense.

My early 2015 was the newest generation model when I purchased it, but I am not sure if Apple offers me a 14” 2021 or 13” 2020 model, no idea tough. This is a bit tricky I guess, I can not choose which one the more relevant is.
I would also suggest thinking about "equal" in functionality replacement.

if you're really persuasive you might be able to talk yourself into the new 14" pro on functionality alone. It has a HDMI port AND SD card reader. You could tell/ask them about the ports and say that those are ones you absolutely NEED. They might give you the 14" instead of a 13" (NO PORTS ONLY USB-C)

I've been told and have experienced in Europe (France) that customer service isn't like the USA, so I'm going to try and not make any assumptions here.

From what you've shared, TIME is very important. Your job and university depends on it.

YOU have to do whatever necessary to get those things done. While Apple/Employees keep telling you to wait longer (which isn't helping YOU).

You've been patient, and understanding of the situation. Let them know that. Let them know that you can't go on any longer without a computer. Ask them if there's anything that can be done with a "loaner" or replacement now.

Sorry for the long post. Good luck and let us know what happens. :cool:

Reactions: Christopher Kim

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I would also suggest thinking about "equal" in functionality replacement.

if you're really persuasive you might be able to talk yourself into the new 14" pro on functionality alone. It has a HDMI port AND SD card reader. You could tell/ask them about the ports and say that those are ones you absolutely NEED. They might give you the 14" instead of a 13" (NO PORTS ONLY USB-C)

I've been told and have experienced in Europe (France) that customer service isn't like the USA, so I'm going to try and not make any assumptions here.

From what you've shared, TIME is very important. Your job and university depends on it.

YOU have to do whatever necessary to get those things done. While Apple/Employees keep telling you to wait longer (which isn't helping YOU).

You've been patient, and understanding of the situation. Let them know that. Let them know that you can't go on any longer without a computer. Ask them if there's anything that can be done with a "loaner" or replacement now.

Sorry for the long post. Good luck and let us know what happens. :cool:
You are right. I am already giving them more time by being patient, but I am being affected negatively in terms of both my job and my university education. There are still lots of missing tasks waiting for me to be done, so I am waiting for a computer to find, if Apple does anything good in this week.

By the way after you have told me the “functionality”, I notice that I really need those ports! Especially the HDMI, USB-A, and the Sd card reader. The 13” M1 device does not have these, which is a big negative side for me. And I hate the converters, really, why would I have to use a converter? Why would I carry it always? Pointless.
So, in terms of these sides, it makes sense to request 14” 2021 MBPs with more and useful inout/outputs.
I will keep this perspective in my mind. Thanks.

Reactions: BreakYurAnkles

KayEm6419

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2020
Sorry you are going through this, GoztepeEge. Have you erased the missing MBPro yet, as suggested by Contributor glenthompson in post #2?

I agree with the others who presume Apple will offer as replacement a new unit that is closest in spec, and that you would be able to pay the difference for any desired upgrade. (NB: I am in the States.)

As to Apple Certified products, read all about it: Discover the Apple Certified Refurbished promise

Best, KM

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Apple will have a period of time set to resolve this or consider the device lost. They will also have given you an estimate on the turnaround time for the repair.

Sounds like you really need a replacement computer to be able to do your work, so I'd go in to the Store, explain the situation and see what they can do for you. The fact they've admitted its lost means they should now be able to do something for you. Speak to someone more senior if you feel like you're getting fobbed off by someone, but they may have some internal process with timelines they need to follow - if that's the case, ask for confirmation of dates etc.

Also, its a bad look for Apple to admit they've lost your computer (whether its them or their courier) so I'd expect them to resolve quickly.

Good luck!

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
No, I have not experienced this, because I just ordered a new battery from iFixit with tools and instructions for €90 and did it myself. Delivery of battery took 2 days, actual repair, 15 mins. Done. I personally would not 'invest' money on repairing such an old computer at a store. The one I fixed is a 2011 MBP.

Last edited:

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Sorry you are going through this, GoztepeEge. Have you erased the missing MBPro yet, as suggested by Contributor glenthompson in post #2?

I agree with the others who presume Apple will offer as replacement a new unit that is closest in spec, and that you would be able to pay the difference for any desired upgrade. (NB: I am in the States.)

As to Apple Certified products, read all about it: Discover the Apple Certified Refurbished promise

Best, KM
I have not erased it yet, as the Apple have not yet confirmed that my device is really lost. When they confirm, I will erase everything.

Apple will have a period of time set to resolve this or consider the device lost. They will also have given you an estimate on the turnaround time for the repair.

Sounds like you really need a replacement computer to be able to do your work, so I'd go in to the Store, explain the situation and see what they can do for you. The fact they've admitted its lost means they should now be able to do something for you. Speak to someone more senior if you feel like you're getting fobbed off by someone, but they may have some internal process with timelines they need to follow - if that's the case, ask for confirmation of dates etc.

Also, its a bad look for Apple to admit they've lost your computer (whether its them or their courier) so I'd expect them to resolve quickly.

Good luck!
I am so upset as well, I have never expected that kind of service from Apple. They should be ashamed to tell me that “your device might possibly be lost”. However I hope they help me when I get to the store, I can not do this now because I am in the office and working, but I will find a relevant time either tomorrow, or on Wednesday 100%.

I am by the way still tracking the repair status, it is still the same from 02.12.2021, no news.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
I have not erased it yet, as the Apple have not yet confirmed that my device is really lost. When they confirm, I will erase everything.

I am so upset as well, I have never expected that kind of service from Apple. They should be ashamed to tell me that “your device might possibly be lost”. However I hope they help me when I get to the store, I can not do this now because I am in the office and working, but I will find a relevant time either tomorrow, or on Wednesday 100%.

I am by the way still tracking the repair status, it is still the same from 02.12.2021, no news.

I would erase/put it in lost mode right now. If they do find it, you can just restore from backup. Assuming you have used Time Machine, restoring is very straight forward. I did a full TM restore for fun on my old machine, just to see how it works.

Reactions: sarakn

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
No, I have not experienced this, because I just ordered a new battery from iFixit with tools and instructions for €90 and did it myself. Delivery of battery took 2 days, actual repair, 15 mins. Done. I personally would not 'invest' money on repairing such an old computer at a store. The one I fixed is a 2011 MBP.
Someone loses their computer, and your contribution to the conversation is to tell them they never should've taken it in for service, as someone so enlightened such as yourself would never do?

Are you also offering a time machine with this excellent advice?

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I would erase/put it in lost mode right now. If they do find it, you can just restore from backup. Assuming you have used Time Machine, restoring is very straight forward. I did a full TM restore for fun on my old machine, just to see how it works.
What happens if I now put it in the lost mode?
Do I have a chance to still get it back?
Or is the device completely removed from my iCloud account?

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
If you would have AppleCAre+ then surely you'll be with the new Mac right now.

But hey, if official rep (or to whom you were speaking to) offers you a 14 2021 or even 2020 without any fee (which obviously should be) then cheers? You're lucky one (in good meaning)

Yeah, information. Let's hope that it wasn't so important or sensitive. If not....damn.

There is no need to put it on Erase data or lost mode whatsoever. To be honest those steps must be turned on before this story. Now it's useless because I'm pretty sure that your Mac right now is selling in another "Apple-super-duper-shop" or at disassembly procedure in some basement for spare details.

GoztepeEge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
If you would have AppleCAre+ then surely you'll be with the new Mac right now.

But hey, if official rep (or to whom you were speaking to) offers you a 14 2021 or even 2020 without any fee (which obviously should be) then cheers? You're lucky one (in good meaning)

Yeah, information. Let's hope that it wasn't so important or sensitive. If not....damn.

There is no need to put it on Erase data or lost mode whatsoever. To be honest those steps must be turned on before this story. Now it's useless because I'm pretty sure that your Mac right now is selling in another "Apple-super-duper-shop" or at disassembly procedure in some basement for spare details.
To read your last sentences has made me so sad ? I liked that MBP so much, I could purchase a new one, however that early 2015 was so valuable and excellent device for me. Hence I wanted to give it a new life by replacing its battery, however thanks to the Apple and the UPS, this happened.

But to read “your device is being sold” or “disassembled” gives me an intense sad, I did not think that before ?

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
What happens if I now put it in the lost mode?
Do I have a chance to still get it back?
Or is the device completely removed from my iCloud account?

If you put it in lost mode now it will be locked, if it connects to the internet. It is still your laptop and remains so, even if you erase it, until you take it off 'Find My', which removes 'Activation Lock', then anyone can claim it. But yes, you can still track it and have a chance to get it back while it is in lost mode or after it has been remotely erased.

Read here for more info, depending on which OS you have on it:

Last edited:

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
I would ask for the maxed-out MacBook Pro. It is unacceptable for any company to lose the laptop left for repair, let alone Apple. You might have left invaluable personal information on your laptop that can never be replaced. This is truly embarrassing for Apple and they should compensate by giving you the very best that they can.
Is it that apple will first make you back up your Mac before it went to repair?
The personal information won’t be lost if you backup everything first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.