Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Xf79ca

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
Haven’t noticed before today, but I’m seeing the boundaries around Indigenous land/reserves in both Canada and the US.

1F2CED49-8A1D-43E6-8BF6-C29E4F725B01.jpeg

Reactions: improvemaps

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
I wouldn’t necessarily mind fewer colourful models per city if that means that the detailed city experience will rollout faster. The situation now however isn’t very good and it becomes clear that Apple doesn’t care a lot about certain cities. For example, Philadelphia has four times as many colourful models as the capital of Germany and Boston more than two times. I can’t see how that would be justified.

Last edited:
Reactions: michelmike

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I wouldn’t necessarily mind fewer colourful models per city if that means that the detailed city experience will rollout faster. The situation now however isn’t very good and it becomes clear that Apple doesn’t care a lot about certain cities. For example, Philadelphia has four times as many colourful models as the capital of Germany and Boston more than two times. I can’t see how that would be justified.
I'm hoping it means detailed city experience nationwide (USA of course...but all mapped countries as well). The building models can come later or not at all for all I care. Release those as finished.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah you can definitely see a major difference in the numbers in other countries. Even within, as well. Miami might be a better example, but I’m going to use Chicago since it’s the one I’m closest to. The number of colorful models that Chicago has…Really surprised me. There are quite a few buildings in the city that would have been worthy of it (one in particular even has the new icon…but no colorful building model.

Off the top of my head…I’m going to go with recognizable and well known. I would have expected Chicago to have models for Navy Pier, the United Center, McCormick Place (maybe), Buckingham Fountain, the Hancock Building (this is the one I mentioned above. It has the new icon, but no colorful model), Marina Towers, and all of the buildings on Museum Campus (They did Soldier Field and the Field Museum, but didn’t do Shedd Aquarium or Adler Planetarium). Heck, not to stray into anything political, but strictly for the sake that it’s a VERY recognizable building (and the second tallest in the city)…Trump Tower. Even Vista Tower and maybe Roosevelt University could have been done.

Vegas is another one that oddly enough, despite how much they covered there…they could have done more. The Aria and Cosmopolitan come to mind. However…was Flamingo added there recently? I don’t remember seeing that one done when it originally released.

For the US…Seattle, Miami, and Atlanta got kind of screwed. Worldwide…Berlin definitely surprised me. I haven’t been to any of the other worldwide cities to know them enough to confidently suggest what should have been included, so I’ll leave those opinions to those who are more familiar with those cities.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Heck, not to stray into anything political, but strictly for the sake that it’s a VERY recognizable building (and the second tallest in the city)…Trump Tower.

If it was not named that and had the name plastered across the front in huge letters, I imagine it may have been included.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
If it was not named that and had the name plastered across the front in huge letters, I imagine it may have been included.
That very well could be. I’d believe that 😂

Out of all the ones that could have been done in Chicago, Buckingham Fountain (for some reason) is the one that sticks out to me in particular. They even did the ice rink in front of the Bean (Cloud Gate, for those unfamiliar with Chicago stuff). I would’ve thought Buckingham Fountain would have been considered before that ice rink 😂

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That very well could be. I’d believe that 😂

Out of all the ones that could have been done in Chicago, Buckingham Fountain (for some reason) is the one that sticks out to me in particular. They even did the ice rink in front of the Bean (Cloud Gate, for those unfamiliar with Chicago stuff). I would’ve thought Buckingham Fountain would have been considered before that ice rink 😂
But outside of Married With Children, not sure many people consider that a major landmark.

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Apple Maps really needs to get better about accepting edits from verified users.

Had two businesses change owners/names in the past few weeks in my neighborhood. Submit to Google Maps and it is updated within a day. Apple Maps? Who knows…
It's a real problem. I sent a report in January on Maps because on the A75 (France) an interchange was completed. Two access road have been added. After a few weeks, I sent an email. Then a second a few weeks later. The saddest thing is that Google, Tomtom or OpenStreetMap have already updated their maps...

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
I have 2 problems with this update: 1. It crashes about once per day of frequent usage. Will tap on a business and it crashes to the home screen. 2. Frequently when I tap on a business or location, the only options for directions are "Walking". And my settings do not have Walking as the default mode.

OlesyaPetrova

Suspended
Mar 20, 2023
This is a Wiki Thread for the latest updates to the Apple Maps app. Note that some of the updates listed below may only be available in the latest beta software and not necessarily publicly available until iOS16 is released.

The thread for new Maps updates that occurred during iOS 15 can be found HERE.

The thread for new Maps updates that occurred during iOS 14 can be found
HERE.

The thread for new Maps updates that occurred during iOS 12 and iOS 13 can be found
HERE.

Please simply click on "EDIT" at the bottom of this post to make changes to the noted areas below.

Please post observed/confirmed changes to the Apple Maps imagery and POI's (from all formats; iOS, iPadOS, MacOS and CarPlay) as new posts to this thread.

Thanks!

Updated Maps Areas
Countries are listed alphabetically. Where an entire country did not roll out at once, areas within the country are listed in the chronological order in which they rolled out.
  • Australia - Preview released October 19, 2021, Wide release December 10, 2021 (via)
  • Austria - Preview released January 23, 2023
  • Canada - Preview released October 20, 2020, Wide release December 10, 2020 (via)
  • Croatia - Preview released March 10, 2023
  • Czechia - Preview released March 10, 2023
  • Finland (Including the Åland Islands) - Preview released January 23, 2023, Wide release March 2, 2023
  • France - Preview released May 29, 2022, Wide release July 8, 2022
  • Germany - Preview released March 4, 2022, Wide release April 21, 2022
  • Hungary - Preview released March 10, 2023
  • Ireland - Preview released August 22, 2020, Wide release October 1, 2020 (via)
  • Italy - Preview released July 29, 2021, wide release September 10, 2021
  • Japan - Wide Release -- August 4, 2020
  • Monaco - Preview released May 29, 2022
  • New Zealand - Preview released May 29, 2022, Wide release July 8, 2022 (via)
  • Norway - Preview released January 23, 2023, Wide release March 2, 2023
  • Poland - Preview released March 10, 2023
  • Portugal (Not included: Madeira, Azores) - Preview released April 22, 2021, Wide release June 7, 2021
  • Singapore - Preview released March 7, 2022, Wide release April 21, 2022
  • Slovenia - Preview released March 10, 2023
  • Spain (Included: Canary Islands, Balearic Islands. Not included: Ceuta, Melilla) - Preview released April 22, 2021, Wide release June 7, 2021
  • Sweden - Preview released January 23, 2023, Wide release March 2, 2023
  • United Kingdom - Preview released August 22, 2020, Wide release October 1, 2020 (via)
    • Crown Dependencies:
      • Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man - Preview released August 22, 2020, Wide release October 1, 2020
    • Overseas territories:
      • Gibraltar - Preview released April 22, 2021, Wide release 7 June 2021
  • United States of America -- Preview started July 3, 2018, Wide release completed January 30, 2020

Look Around
Countries are listed alphabetically. Where an entire country did not roll out at once, areas within the country are listed in the chronological order in which they rolled out.
  • Australia
    • Entire country added on December 10, 2021
  • Canada
    • Nearly every major city as well as most of their suburbs and main highway system across the entire country!! -- Added December 10, 2020
  • Finland
    • Entire country added on March 2, 2023 (not including the Åland Islands)
  • France
    • Entire country added on July 8, 2022
  • Germany
    • Munich -- Added April 21, 2022
    • Frankfurt & Stuttgart -- Added May 19, 2022
    • Berlin, Hamburg and Leipzig -- Added June 30, 2022
    • Remainder of country -- Added July 25, 2022
  • Ireland
    • Dublin -- Added October 1, 2020
  • Italy
    • Entire country including San Marino and Vatican City when wide released on September 10, 2021
  • Japan
    • Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Nagoya -- Added August 4, 2020
    • Fukuoka, Hiroshima, and Takamatsu -- Added December 4, 2020
    • Sendai and Kanazawa -- Added May 17, 2021
  • New Zealand
    • Entire country added on July 8, 2022
    Norway
    • Entire country added on March 2, 2023
  • Portugal (Not included: Madeira, Azores) - Released June 7, 2021
  • Singapore
    • Entire country added April 21, 2022
  • Spain (Included: Canary Islands, Balearic Islands. Not included: Ceuta, Melilla) - Released June 7, 2021
  • Sweden
    • Entire country added on March 2, 2023
  • United Kingdom
    • London -- Added October 1, 2020
    • Edinburgh -- Added October 1, 2020
    • Overseas territories:
      • Gibraltar - Added 7 June, 2021
  • United States of America
    • Hawaii (Island of O'ahu) - Added June 3, 2019
    • Las Vegas metro area - Added June 3, 2019
    • San Francisco/San Jose metro area - Added June 3, 2019
    • Los Angeles metro area - Added September 30, 2019
    • New York City metro area - Added September 30, 2019, Expanded September 20, 2021
    • Houston, TX - Added November 18, 2019
    • Santa Cruz, CA - Added December 18, 2019
    • Boston, MA - Added February 19, 2020
    • Philadelphia, PA - Added February 19, 2020, expanded on December 16, 2021 with release of detailed city experience
    • Washington DC -- Added February 19, 2020
    • Chicago metro area -- Added April 20, 2020
    • Seattle, WA -- Added June 29, 2020
    • Phoenix, AZ -- Added October 7, 2020
    • Miami, FL metro area (including Ft. Lauderdale) -- Added December 16, 2020
    • Detroit, MI metro area (including Ann Arbor, Pontiac and Rochester Hills) -- Added December 16, 2020
    • Denver, CO metro area (including Boulder) -- added December 16, 2020
    • San Diego, CA metro area (including South to the Mexican border and as far North as Escondido and Carlsbad) -- Added February 3, 2021
    • Portland, OR metro area -- added February 3, 2021
    • Atlanta, GA metro area -- added May 12, 2021

Detailed City Experience

• San Francisco available as of initial ios15 beta release on June 7, 2021
  • Los Angeles available as of ios15 developer beta 5 release on August 10, 2021. Updated with additional detailed POI's on August 26, 2021
  • NYC available on iOS 15 release day, September 20, 2021
  • London available on September 27, 2021
  • San Diego and Washington DC available on November 11, 2021
  • Philadelphia available on December 16, 2021
  • Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, CANADA added on March 24, 2022
  • Seattle, Miami and Atlanta added on August 5, 2022
  • Chicago and Las Vegas added on September 12, 2022
  • Sydney and Melbourne (Australia) added on January 20, 2023
  • Berlin, Hamburg and Munich (Germany) added on February 17, 2023
  • Boston added on March 16, 2023
iOS 16 Notable Changes
  • Multiple Stop Routing - Add multiple stops along your driving route in Maps. Plan a route with multiple stops on your Mac and it syncs to your iPhone.
  • Transit Fares in Map - See how much your journey will cost with transit fares.
  • Transit Cards In Maps - Add transit cards to Wallet, see low balances, and replenish your card, all without leaving Maps.
  • CarPlay
    • This next generation of CarPlay is the ultimate iPhone experience for the car. It provides content for all the driver’s screens including the instrument cluster, ensuring a cohesive design experience that is the very best of your car and your iPhone. Vehicle functions like radio and temperature controls are handled right from CarPlay. And personalization options ranging from widgets to selecting curated gauge cluster designs make it unique to the driver.
    • Fueling and driving task apps - Fueling and driving task apps are available in CarPlay. Your favorite apps that help you fill your tank and provide you with road information, toll support, towing help, and more can find a home in CarPlay.
    • Siri autosend messages - Siri can be set to automatically send a message after it has been read back to you.
  • POI Edits - Can now be done right on the POI info card that comes up when searching. Simply go own to the "details" area and select "edit" to quickly edit info for Hours, Phone, Website, Address, or Something Else.
Report Errors Without Using The App
https://www.apple.com/feedback/maps-ios-ipados.html

Feature Availability by Region
https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/

Apple Vehicle & Pedestrian Image Collection Schedule
https://maps.apple.com/imagecollection

Business/POI Edit Site
https://mapsconnect.apple.com/

Maps Developer Site
https://developer.apple.com/maps/

Maps Data Providers List
Thanks for the helpful information!

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Apple Maps really needs to get better about accepting edits from verified users.

Had two businesses change owners/names in the past few weeks in my neighborhood. Submit to Google Maps and it is updated within a day. Apple Maps? Who knows…
I have to quote myself here as was stated on Reddit right when I posted this, Apple seems to be answering a lot of corrections recently. My post complaining was actually answered/updated only a day or so later. And this was for a business name/ownership change...was pretty surprised it went through so fast actually.

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
Yeah, I think you are right. I have had numerous changes I have submitted in the past week being processed now.

Reactions: MozMan68

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Yes, there has been an improvement in the correction of the Poi. On the other hand, it is still as difficult to correct a navigation error (parking entrance) or to add a new road.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
View attachment 2185616 They have released the new maps in Poland:)
Yep, just looked and found the same! I was thinking maybe I was seeing the testing but doubted that because I’ve NEVER seen any of the tests for anywhere outside the US. Completely missed the Look Around button. That should’ve been a clear sign to me 😂

DrRon

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2016
Working on routing in IOS 16.4...

It's easy to create a route but can't see any way to save it or share it.
Using the Plan function only allows me to plan up to 2 weeks out, no further.

Google allows both of these functions.
Emailing a route and clicking on the link brings up the route live!
Planning a departure date or arrival date with a reminder is unlimited.
Google projects typical route durations for dates other than NOW.

Planning a 2000 mile road trip in June is a challenge.
I can add each destination to my Guide then navigate from one or another using my current location.
But to predict the remainder of the route timing and routing with traffic and hazards requires me to rebuild the full remainder of the route manually.
I can share the Guide but not the route.

What am I missing?
If I'm right Apple is not keeping up with Google in the navigation area...

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I actually used Waze yesterday just because I realized I hadn't used it in so long. Outside of being able to hear my friend's voice giving directions, was the same old ugly crap. Got me where I wanted to go though...still way too many "notifications" on there. More than half weren't even there when I passed.

Going to give Google Maps on Android Auto a try next.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
There are two glitches I've been experiencing. One is a long-time glitch, and the other only popped up after the update to iOS 16.4.1.

Glitch #1: Long-time glitch. You know how when you're stuck in traffic on a highway, Maps will zoom out to an overhead view, showing the entire length of the delay? Not sure how consistently this works in your necks of the woods, but in New York City, this special traffic view only works on certain highways. And it's *always* on those certain highways. NEVER works on other highways.

Glitch #2: Brand new glitch. But not unusual for Apple Maps. When navigating, Maps always shows you the name of the road you're currently driving on near the bottom center of the screen. After updating to 16.4.1, there are sections of certain roads and highways where the name label will vanish for a certain distance, and then return. It's not random, either. It has been consistently happening on the same stretches of road ever since I updated. Always in the exact same spots.

Well, guess what? The two glitches came together, and I have observed something interesting. The highway I take home from work, Interstate 278 (the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway), happens to be one of those highways where the "traffic zoom out" *NEVER* occurs. Never. Ever.

BUT...as it happens...there is now a short stretch of I-278 in Brooklyn where the name label disappears for a bit.

As soon as the name label disappears, the traffic zoom out takes place (if I'm stuck in traffic at the time). As soon as the name label returns, the traffic zoom out deactivates, and it goes back to the standard view.

Which makes me wonder...is it the name of the roadway that is preventing the traffic zoom out from occurring? That special camera behavior only takes place on highways as far as I know, so there must be some behind the scenes "trigger" that lets Maps know you're on a highway. Although most other "highway behaviors" do work properly on I-278, including the junction view.

Very strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.