Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’ve moved from iTunes app to Music app with Finder synced music to Music app with Apple Music synced and downloaded to my iPhone/MBP and streamed to my iPad. Everything is working fine for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Well I followed the instructions on the APPLE WEBSITE as how to download Apple Music to my APPLE iPhone and it doesn't work. Surprised ????? Not me ......what a steaming pile
Why would you need to download Apple Music to your iPhone? It comes as part of the OS. Something seems off here.

vipdrummer

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
Why would you need to download Apple Music to your iPhone? It comes as part of the OS. Something seems off here.
That's the frustrating part. I knew that it is part of OS and yet there is no indication that a song has been download and when I follow the directions on the Apple website and then follow up by checking on the song it still shows that it needs to be downloaded.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's the frustrating part. I knew that it is part of OS and yet there is no indication that a song has been download and when I follow the directions on the Apple website and then follow up by checking on the song it still shows that it needs to be downloaded.
Did you turn on auto download Because everything works fine for me.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Simply put, I don't rent my music.

But seriously, I don't have time to listen to 50 million songs. Roughly calculated, it would take 230 years to listen to all of Apple Music. So why pay for something I'm never going to use? When I rent a car, I use the whole car.
Do you refuse to buy CDs because you aren’t going to listen to everything the record shop?

No you don’t use all of the car; for example, if you rent in the summer you don’t use the car’s heater.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Do you refuse to buy CDs because you aren’t going to listen to everything the record shop?

No you don’t use all of the car; for examaple, if you rent in the summer you don’t use the car’s heater.

Yes, I refuse to buy CD's, we're living in the 21st century now. And when I did buy CD's, I bought just the one I actually wanted to listen to, not every one in the record shop.

I've read Job's autobiography, the writer reckons Apple convincing the record industry to let them sell songs separately is possibly what saved the music industry from collapsing. So, when I'm watching a movie or out and about and I hear a new song I like, I buy it on iTunes. I've been doing this for 10 years now.

No, I don't use a car heater in the summer, but I will use it in the winter, guaranteed. Like I said, I don't have time to listen to 50mil songs, but I do have time to use a car heater, every year. Same goes for the air con.

Basically, when I read this headline, 'Apple Music is terrible' I thought to share why I think it is. It involves paying money for something I'm never going to use. But, to each their own.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I rather enjoy Apple Music tbh. I've had Spotify for a while, then Google then...youtube...I still use DI FM but just the free version. I find the convenience of Apple Music to be enough for me to enjoy it.

I'm not a fan of the apps UI. I feel like I make a station and never use it again because I can't find it quick enough. A lot of swiping, etc. But whatever...

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
Yea, I also didn't like the new subscription/rent model all software vendors are going to. I've clung with vice grips, to the Steve Jobs spoke and hubs analogy. My main computer is home to all my media and the other devices are just slaves to it. I used iTunes Music match to be able to access all my music to all my devices. Worked great, had a large library that I've been curating since iTunes first came out. But after trying Music, I like it for discovering new songs. But at anytime I can just let it lapse and I'll still have my library intact on my main computer. This has served me for years and unless Apple does some shady tactic, I'll continue for the foreseeable future.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I know that this is an old thread, but if possible, I would like to explain further my liking of iTunes versus Music. The way I prefer using iTunes:

a. If I want to listen to the Apple Music, I can do so. But I have no use for Apple Music, nor any other music apps (I just don't stream music to my computer, or my phones). If I would want that, there are several places that give you more freedom and music quality than Apple.

b. When I want to purchase songs, albums, and so on, I choose what I want by "searching" for it at the iTunes Store. For example, I search for "Medhi" or any other musicians, or just for "Spanish guitar, instrumental" (for example), then I listen to the music I want, and purchase the songs or albums I want.

c. Once I launch iTunes in my computer, I can search my Library. If I want to search the music at the iTune's store, then I logon. Once I have done this, I can search the music I want, either at the Store, or my Library (I can switch back and forth at will), since all the locations I want are shown right at the top of the window from left to right, including the "search" box, which is shown at the right upper corner of the window.

d. Once I have logged on (?), any credit that remains on my account (from Apple iTunes gift cards, for example), is shown at the right top corned of the window. In this case I know ahead of time, how many songs or albums I can still purchase, since the sum of money on my credit also changes in accordance to the purchases taking place. To Apple: I don't like to purchase music using my credit card! I only use my credit card for major purchases such as computers and things like that. Not the nickel and dime stuff.
-------------------------

Music forces me to follow the directions from Apple, as if I am a drone. I have no choice in the matter, since it is only "Apple's way, or the highway". For that reason I haven't updated the OS of a 2019 iMac I purchased to Catalina or Big Sur. I am using iTunes in the iMac for any music I purchase, but not Music on my MacBook Pro nor my wife's MacBook Air (both running on Big Sur).

A final note: Windows 10 is fully compatible with standalone apps such as Adobe CS6. Catalina and Big Sur aren't. That's another reason why I haven't updated my 2019 iMac to Catalina. After spending a fortune on CS5 and CS6, there is no way for me to update the OS of my photo-editing computer. I may have to switch from Mac to PC a couple of years from now, at least for photo-editing?

Last edited:
Reactions: macaronie

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
I know that this is an old thread, but if possible, I would like to explain further my liking of iTunes versus Music. The way I prefer using iTunes:
I can access all three searches, library, music, iTunes Store, with no problem on the current version of Music. You might want to try it, maybe they've made some changes since you opened it last.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Yes, I refuse to buy CD's, we're living in the 21st century now. And when I did buy CD's, I bought just the one I actually wanted to listen to, not every one in the record shop.

I've read Job's autobiography, the writer reckons Apple convincing the record industry to let them sell songs separately is possibly what saved the music industry from collapsing. So, when I'm watching a movie or out and about and I hear a new song I like, I buy it on iTunes. I've been doing this for 10 years now.

No, I don't use a car heater in the summer, but I will use it in the winter, guaranteed. Like I said, I don't have time to listen to 50mil songs, but I do have time to use a car heater, every year. Same goes for the air con.

Basically, when I read this headline, 'Apple Music is terrible' I thought to share why I think it is. It involves paying money for something I'm never going to use. But, to each their own.

I think some people should follow your model. People that listen to very little music and don't care about having access to millions of songs or albums at their fingertips. I personally prefer albums, so the idea of buying a song never appealed to me in the least. I probably have 5 songs in total from iTunes.

They charge around 9.99 a month, so you aren't paying for that entire library of music. That would cost you millions of dollars. Everyone knows you will never listen to everything, which is why it is priced so low. It is simply about more choice for music lovers. I personally love the streaming model, but realize it isn't for everyone.

As for the main OP point the AM is terrible, that also depends on the user and the stuff they own and how they interact with the service. If you use Siri on Apple devices, it is integrated better than any other service. That isn't the most important thing for many, so thankfully we have other options.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Simply put, I don't rent my music.

But seriously, I don't have time to listen to 50 million songs. Roughly calculated, it would take 230 years to listen to all of Apple Music. So why pay for something I'm never going to use? When I rent a car, I use the whole car.

This analogy makes zero sense.

Why get cable if you're not going to watch every channel? Why pay for Netflix if you're never going to watch every movie? Why get a library card if you're not going to read every book? Why buy an album if you're not going to listen to every song?

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I can access all three searches, library, music, iTunes Store, with no problem on the current version of Music. You might want to try it, maybe they've made some changes since you opened it last.

Search is rather broken on the current version of Music on MacOS

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Search is rather broken on the current version of Music on MacOS
The Search box shows at the left corner of the window, but whenever I search anything while logged to the Store, it switches back to search the music in my Library. I checked the Preferences, and everything is set as usual, so I can only agree with you that the latest Music version's "search" option is broken.

Edited: I just ran the newest OS update a day or two ago, and now Music is working fine. The search options, from my library to the Store are shown at the right upper corner of the Music window. However, the amount of credit I have from redeeming iTunes cards does not show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lvivske

tekfranz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2017
Just to define the terms a bit.
iTunes is an software application that has been replaced by Music which is also a Software application. Both of these function as media players.

Purchases can then be made from the iTunes Store if you wish to own the music or one can subscribe to Apple Music to unlimited streaming. iTunes Match syncs iTunes Store Purchases to all your devices. An Apple Music subscription also includes uploading and syncing of existing songs you already own to all your devices. Syncing songs and playlists is done over an internet connection. Syncing of music you already own can also be done first with a USB cable and then with WiFi.

Both the iTunes store and Apple Music subscription is integrated into the old iTunes Application and the new Music Applications.

Last edited:

vipdrummer

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
I am getting close to giving up on Apple Music. I have playlists on my iPhone of music that has been dowloaded from Apple Music. When I try to play them via the Bluetooth system in my cars it will play 1 song and then refuse to continue playing other songs. The screen will show that it is trying to play but it just stops. Any ideas /suggestions would be more than helpful.

Reactions: Omega Mac

ralmon

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2018
I hope they revamp their song queuing system and add crossfades then I'm all good and going back to AM.
I just can't understand why these iTunes features are taking forever to be integrated on this service.
They kept on pushing for the Play Next and Play Last order which doesn't make sense to me.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I hope they revamp their song queuing system and add crossfades then I'm all good and going back to AM.
I just can't understand why these iTunes features are taking forever to be integrated on this service.
They kept on pushing for the Play Next and Play Last order which doesn't make sense to me.
The queue system is why I don’t use Apple Music.

i quite often just throw some songs on and then add to queue on Spotify and just go in order. You can’t do that on apple music without it being a hassle.

I would rather switch as all in if I became an Apple One subscriber it would save me money but Spotify works how I like it to work.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am getting close to giving up on Apple Music. I have playlists on my iPhone of music that has been dowloaded from Apple Music. When I try to play them via the Bluetooth system in my cars it will play 1 song and then refuse to continue playing other songs. The screen will show that it is trying to play but it just stops. Any ideas /suggestions would be more than helpful.
If other Bluetooth devices work correctly then the issue is your car’s stereo, not Apple Music. I would suggest asking on a forum dedicated to your car.

Reactions: Uofmtiger

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012

What I do on spotify is just sometimes randomly pick songs to play one after the other by hitting add to queue. Then it plays them in the order I find them.

I find when I do this on Apple Music I end up with a whole album in the queue I hit play next and then it adds the songs in a funny order that I don't want.

PhilAudioPhul

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2022
An Apple fan since 1991, at that time it was astonishing how much easier it was to use than — the other.

It would be quite some time before I understood why — Steve Jobs.

Maybe he was a miserable human being but I never met him so I can’t know.

Certainly he was brilliantly insightful where consumer products are concerned.

Equally clear is that Apple Corp has lost its way. The only narrow advantage to buying apple is an incremental security advantage and a slightly better track record where mechanical reliability is concerned.

However, the thinly veiled distain Apple has for its customers is offensive.

At first it was a number of small revelations for the consumer to discover as small glitches made themselves known. Then we start to hear about seriously questionable policy decisions at the software level.

Today we are talking about sound, sound quality, cost benefit, and what looks like corporate intransigence behind their choice to extract as much as they can from the consumer to reach a short term quarterly report horizon.

I live between the Bay Area of SFO and the Sound Area of SEA.

This region is reputed to enjoy terrific bandwidth. It is however not reliable. You need a huge buffer or priority packet recognition to stream without pixelation, drop-outs, hangs, stalls, intermittent latency issues on top of the usurious marketing practices of ISPs of all brands. To be fair, accidents that knock out poles and trees poorly maintained or subject to weather calamities are hard to pin on these companies. So I own many hard drives and hundreds of CD/DVD optical disks — as long as I have batteries I am good to go.

After years of tussles with ISPs we shop for the cheapest because they drop service as often as the expensive ones and jack up prices far less often.

As I migrate to newer, faster and lighter Macs I find that the embedded players start to look thin. Consequently I use VLC to play movies and Fidelia to play audio. Where iTunes was once a modest player and a great organizer, now it suffers from uncontrollable interactions with an operating system that is bloated with background operations that work to someone else’s purposes and so hamper application performance due to heat throttling. Yet another way to turnover more new models as the processors cook due to activities that have nothing to do with my needs.

Now we come to the Music App . . . First the software has for more than a decade declined to playback the lowest of frequencies. Frequencies that are there. Frequencies that are delivered from USB DACs — and noticeably more clearly. MPEG-4 AAC files at 41k over 220 bitrate are more than enough for most recordings outside of the stock DAC in the Mac and the desultory capabilities of the iTunes/Music software. If you care to really listen to Joni Mitchell or Steeely Dan you will need better source files and lossless compression to have a hope of gathering all you can from really well recorded music — note in particular the HD files of The Kansas City Symphony’s offering of Saint-Saëns Symphony No.3 The Organ Symphony & two other accompanying works — this is a marvel of acoustical engineering in the performance space and the methods used in the performance capture are just a wonder.

If I shut off the internet connection so the processors are not distracted and use Fidelia and one of the better DACs I can get completely immersed in the sound.

But trying to migrate to the next Mac is becoming a burden. I refuse to subscribe to a service that I do not need for storage just to migrate my files ( OK — I have a ridiculous number of playlists ) covering 610.2 Gigs of storage including ‘spoken-books’. Generally I can see into the thinking behind the latest inconvenience providing a profit mechanism.

Today I am flummoxed by a System Preference in Accessibility that controls Pointer Control Spring-loading Delay — that can not be switched off.

I am, apparently, not the first of thousands to run into this.

It just slows EVERYTHING down.

I miss Steve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.