Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
It also seems to be they have decided to design around "experience" instead of ground up thinking, look at Classical Music App, and if you were to continue the logic you could in theory have an app for every genre (which is then nuts, becasue a compotene search engine core solves this), as per my previous observation and question, it looks like they need to develop a core search engine for apple music.

So I think Apple looking from teh outside in is not willing ot invest in a search facility core for Apple Music that works.

The UI you are getting is informed by "experience" based on a box of frogs machine learning.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
An Apple fan since 1991, at that time it was astonishing how much easier it was to use than — the other.

It would be quite some time before I understood why — Steve Jobs.

Maybe he was a miserable human being but I never met him so I can’t know.

Certainly he was brilliantly insightful where consumer products are concerned.

Equally clear is that Apple Corp has lost its way. The only narrow advantage to buying apple is an incremental security advantage and a slightly better track record where mechanical reliability is concerned.

However, the thinly veiled distain Apple has for its customers is offensive.

At first it was a number of small revelations for the consumer to discover as small glitches made themselves known. Then we start to hear about seriously questionable policy decisions at the software level.

Yea, less is more, is now being used against us, instead of for us.

I miss Steve.

I think he wasn't on board with what was to come and all the ESG rainbow world shyte, which I think has a lot more to do with many of the problematic trends and problems, that you think are poor technical approaches, but really think again, ESG is mucking up the world. So why would Apple be any different with Steve gone?

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
The only thing I miss from Spotify is the playlist features, like New Music Mix and Discover Weekly. Apple Music is better because it incorporates your own music better, and it sounds better. Also, I appreciate podcasts not clogging up the music app.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
As a new Apple Music user, I’ve found the search function to be fully equivalent to Spotify, so perhaps my timing to join is lucky.

And one thing with Spotify that drove me insane is your downloads constantly deleted themselves. This was a full-time years long issue that I contacted them about 3 times, trying various troubleshooting measures. That flaw is somehow baked in to their iOS app. They know it, and apparently it serves them somehow because there’s no way Spotify is that helpless to solve it.

Reactions: jeyromeharris

jeyromeharris

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2023
As a new Apple Music user, I’ve found the search function to be fully equivalent to Spotify, so perhaps my timing to join is lucky.

And one thing with Spotify that drove me insane is your downloads constantly deleted themselves. This was a full-time years long issue that I contacted them about 3 times, trying various troubleshooting measures. That flaw is somehow baked in to their iOS app. They know it, and apparently it serves them somehow because there’s no way Spotify is that helpless to solve it.
Is that why you've made the switch?

If you have AirPods Pro, I recommend you to enable spatial audio without head tracking (fixed). Makes the songs sound "fuller" ;) (it's not dolby atoms which is a different thing and very hit or miss). You can enable fixed spatial audio by hard pressing on the sound bar on your control center when your AirPods are connected.

Make sure you have in your settings iCloud library sync enabled, and use listening history also. :)

Reactions: Edd70

cloak_nine

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2023
The only thing I miss from Spotify is the playlist features, like New Music Mix and Discover Weekly. Apple Music is better because it incorporates your own music better, and it sounds better. Also, I appreciate podcasts not clogging up the music app.
Idk if it changes when you pay for Spotify Premium or something but I think the Spotify interface is just a mess, I love the clean Apple Music (AM) design and interoperability with my macOS app where I upload some music manually. Completely agree that it sounds objectively better.

I don't think anything exists like this but one thing that is frustrating to me is inconsistency with my favorited/liked artists releasing new music. Sometimes I'll go through all my new music notifications and later find out a favorited artist did release music but it didn't show up. I don't like having the notification for a new song coming out popping up at the top one at a time and having to tap it to bring up the next one. Ideally I'd like a playlist that is populated new music from my favorited artists where I can adjust the time when they last released music (1 week, 1 month etc). I'm not on social media so that would be my ideal way to make sure I'm automatically seeing all new music from my tracked artists without having to constantly check their socials or subscribe to email chains etc. Would love if anyone has suggestions or if I haven't looked around enough.

I primarily listen to electronic music so their incorporation of recorded DJ sets has been an absolute game changer and love that they have it broken down into sections where you can trace a track played back to the artist it belongs to instead of one continuous track.

The search can be a little frustrating where I'll mistype one letter and no results will come up. You'd think it would pull up some close suggestions at least. Doesn't always happen but I'm just surprised when nothing at all comes up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.