Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
it's funny watching atheists complaining about actions of church members goes against god's words/lessons/whatever..

i mean, you don't believe in god, you think church is baloney.. the congregation is equally as human as yourself.. humans do a bunch of f'd up crap to each other..
like- don't you expect humans to rape humans? that's what we do as a species and all walks of life.. why so surprised if a human that gathers on sunday with others to sing hymns -- rapes someone?
Systematic abuse and coverups isn't just "humans raping humans".

Reactions: OC40

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Systematic abuse and coverups isn't just "humans raping humans".

maybe not.. but it's definitely humans being humans..

idk, getting rid of the catholic church isn't going to do anything to improve your life.. like- nothing will change in the big picture.
religion is an effect of our collective consciousness.. just like money and government and all that jazz.

simply eliminating an effect won't fix nor even address the problem.

Reactions: skunk

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
not sure what the problem is.. the brown truck guy should definitely be able to do deliveries in the west 50s.
?

24popeliveblog-floater8-tmagArticle-v4.jpg

(and that's before the pope was actually in the city)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Spoke to 2 of my friends who live in the city. Both said it is absolutely insane. Long Island never felt so good.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Bill Gates although an atheist believes in the same moral principles, and is respectful of religion;

Gates was interviewed November 1995 on PBS by David Frost. Below is the transcript with minor edits.
Frost: Do you believe in the Sermon on the Mount?

Gates: I don't. I'm not somebody who goes to church on a regular basis. The specific elements of Christianity are not something I'm a huge believer in. There's a lot of merit in the moral aspects of religion. I think it can have a very very positive impact.

Frost: I sometimes say to people, do you believe there is a god, or do you know there is a god? And, you'd say you don't know?

Gates: In terms of doing things I take a fairly scientific approach to why things happen and how they happen. I don't know if there's a god or not, but I think religious principles are quite valid.

Note; while Gates has the money to throw around for good deeds, he does not have the charisma and worldwide influence of the Pope, therefore the comparison is a long shot at best.

The Pope has charisma? hahahaha

Reactions: Grey Beard

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Several times when Pope John Paul II visited the USA, every place he held a public mass the place was completely packed (and then some). And it appears that Pope Francis is doing the same thing....

Thats not charisma though is it - thats a cult organised religion mate.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
I guess you're also mad at the prime ministers of Germany and Japan for the atrocities of WWII, President Obama for Native American genocide, the Italian prime minister for the conquest of the West by Rome. You sure are generalizing the character of one man by lumping together nearly 2000 years of history.
You must be really naive if you think that pope francis is just a PERSON and does what HE believes has to be done and acts on his own will. Like, really, how old are you to believe things like that? They didn't like the previous priest because he looked like a child molester (pun intended) so they shipped him right away. See where i'm leading?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.