Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
it's not the religion that has done harm, it is the people who have and still use religion for their interpretation and beliefs, just as anti-religious atheists have done to justify their interpretation of a perfect world- ie: Polpot, Stalin, the Albanians, the Khmer Rouge, the Chinese, and on and on..

In other words..it is us that have persecuted and killed throughout the ages.

Last edited:

OC40

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hopefully. A few employees had gone out to lunch and couldn't get back in. They went home. Drat. I was on my out of the building and was out the door on the sidewalk when I noticed the entire block cordoned off multiple times, and the cop told me and others to get back inside. A few minutes earlier I would have gotten to get out early...hahaha.

If you're into whiskey, I'd highly suggest Highlands down in the West Village. It's good. Here's the website, though it is down for the moment. I called them to make sure hey didn't go out of business! www.highlands-nyc.com

UPDATE: It's all clear. I was in the midst of typing this email when word came through so I ran out to do what I was going to do in the first place! Just got back.

Glad to hear that all is clear! I'll try to fit in the Highlands one night. Sounds fantastic...thanks!

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Why are they shutting down the shipping?

The Pope's visit has caused road closures around the city of Philadelphia. Highways, yes you read right, are being closed to traffic. There's a radius around the city that cars can't park on the street. No one is getting in and out of the city via car/truck/bus so needless to say, shipping isn't happening.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
The Pope's visit has caused road closures around the city of Philadelphia. Highways, yes you read right, are being closed to traffic. There's a radius around the city that cars can't park on the street. No one is getting in and out of the city via car/truck/bus so needless to say, shipping isn't happening.

But for Philly, the facility is at the airport. Surely those going into Marlton/Cherry Hill can get over the Walt Whitman bridge without having to go anywhere near the city..

BL.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Yes, but I don't see Billy Graham going to NYC (I'm pretty sure he's dead) and stopping traffic. I don't think any religious institution should be able to fly into NYC and cause delays of various kinds.

The pope is by far the most important religious leader in the world though. And I'm an atheist Jew.

Reactions: 7709876

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Considering I can cite countless news articles and opeds, I think the burden of proof is on you. Please cite your sources. Seeing has how one of two things will happen:

1) You will respond again without a source
2) You won't respond again

I predict these things because the prevalence of pedophilia in the Catholic church is an order of magnitude higher than normal. Furthermore, do I have to mention *again* the fact that they COVERED IT UP?!

I'm not really interested in feeding a troll on this subject, which is clearly what you are.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
it's not the religion that has done harm, it is the people who have and still use religion for their interpretation and beliefs, just as anti-religious atheists have done to justify their interpretation of a perfect world- ie: Polpot, Stalin, the Albanians, the Khmer Rouge, the Chinese, and on and on..

In other words..it is us that have persecuted and killed throughout the ages.

Oh, but it is the religion that has done the harm. And don't start that conflation of brutal dictators with atheists, and somehow claiming that atheism is a religion. Saying "It's not the religion" is equivalent to the nutbab NRA members who say "Guns don't kill people, it's the people....blah blah blah"

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Look up the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Though this shouldn't be a pissing contest. The Catholic Church still does a good deal more than most. They just don't have Gate's organizational skills and money.

Sorry, I thought the Catholic Church was evil BECAUSE of all the money they had? I'm confused.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Oh, but it is the religion that has done the harm. And don't start that conflation of brutal dictators with atheists, and somehow claiming that atheism is a religion. Saying "It's not the religion" is equivalent to the nutbab NRA members who say "Guns don't kill people, it's the people....blah blah blah"

It is no conflation that anti religionists are related to brutal dictators, that is a historical fact. Atheism is non-belief without prejudice, but what you spout is extreme prejudice and non-tolerance which is akin to anti-religion. You must think knives kill people too..please let someone else cut the turkey at thanksgiving next time.-thanks.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
And plenty of other Christian denominations have covered up child abuse...

And I'd be shocked if other religious groups (e.g Jews, Hindus and Muslims) haven't done the same thing and have merely covered it up better as "honour".

Those religions you mention do not have centralized management and a strict hierarchy. There may have been instances of child abuse by other clergymen; but there could not have been large-scale organized cover-ups, because there are no other large-scale organizations.

BTW, to suggest that child abuse is considered "honorable" by religions of which one is unfamilar is small-minded, ignorant, xenophobic and bigoted.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I'm not really interested in feeding a troll on this subject, which is clearly what you are.

I'm sorry, are you saying that taking a stance against an institution that covered up hundreds of instances of sexual abuse against young boys, is an invalid one? It's not like I'm making an argument that volcanoes are an illusion, or cats are superior to dogs. You want to defend an institution such as that, that's fine, but what does that say about what you are willing to overlook? If it's dressed in the right religious and moral tones, what level of evil could you overlook? It's a valid question, and I don't expect an answer because I believe that's a personal question you should ask yourself.

To me this has nothing to do about delays for iPhones, this has to do with legitimizing an institution that has shown a level a serious level of corruption. To me that's unacceptable.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I'm sorry, are you saying that taking a stance against an institution that covered up hundreds of instances of sexual abuse against young boys, is an invalid one?

I think there is far more to the Catholic Church than this one thing. You can take any large institution that wields actual power, and find at least one terrible thing.

Personally I find this Pope to be an admirable and brave figure because he is addressing head-on THE single most critical issue threatening the world today-- which is, a complete absence of respect for and civility to others who may hold contrary opinions. That is the true impediment to working together to resolve all those little annoyances such as destruction of the environment, growing income inequality, and so on.

Last edited:

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I think there is far more to the Catholic Church than this one thing. You can take any large institution that wields actual power, and find at least one terrible thing.

There's more to the Catholic church than sexual abuse, no doubt. But please don't call the coverup of multiple cases of abuse "one thing". That's the whole problem, was done over and over and over again. I mean take VW. They lied about emissions, right? What if they said the problem was fixed and than they continued the behavior. What is they continued to do that dozens of times? The main purpose of VW would be that they still make cars, but wouldn't you want to question their integrity as a company?

I question the integrity of the Catholic church not because abuse defines what the Catholic church, but because it was an ongoing coverup and continual lying to the public, even in face of considerable evidence provided by the media at large. The abuse may never have defined the Catholic church as an institution, but the Catholic church temporarily flirted with becoming almost a criminal organization with connotations of religion.

It got so bad that the criminal behavior almost became the *main* aspect of the Catholic church and religion became *secondary*. I'm not saying that's the case today, but what I am saying is that these events were recent and there's absolutely no reason for the public to give the Catholic church such as easy time when they deserve otherwise. I'm sorry, but they've *earned* a lack of respect. It should take *years* for them to earn that trust back; decades.

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Came to this thread expecting to find people complaining about shipment. Found people discussing pedophilia. o_O

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Came to this thread expecting to find people complaining about shipment. Found people discussing pedophilia. o_O

You came here to complain that your latest iToy got delayed? Get over it, the Pope is more important! He feeds the poor, and he's the most important religious leader in the world. You should count yourself lucky, your iPhone will be blessed!

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
No, no, my iToy is just fine. I'm not in the collateral damage zone being wreaked by the pope. Is he important? Is he more important than Jonny Ives? I don't think so.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
it's funny watching atheists complaining about actions of church members goes against god's words/lessons/whatever..

i mean, you don't believe in god, you think church is baloney.. the congregation is equally as human as yourself.. humans do a bunch of f'd up crap to each other..
like- don't you expect humans to rape humans? that's what we do as a species and all walks of life.. why so surprised if a human that gathers on sunday with others to sing hymns -- rapes someone?

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
It is no conflation that anti religionists are related to brutal dictators, that is a historical fact. Atheism is non-belief without prejudice, but what you spout is extreme prejudice and non-tolerance which is akin to anti-religion. You must think knives kill people too..please let someone else cut the turkey at thanksgiving next time.-thanks.

I most certainly am anti-religion, wholeheartedly without a doubt. Religion is one of the worst things that ever happened to humainty.

And no, being anti religion does not automatically equate to some being a brutal dictator, or brutal anything, for that matter.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
I most certainly am anti-religion, wholeheartedly without a doubt. Religion is one of the worst things that ever happened to humainty.

And no, being anti religion does not automatically equate to some being a brutal dictator, or brutal anything, for that matter.

I would argue that human stupidity and arrogance is the worst thing that happens to religions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.