Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple's OLED vs. LCD: Which is better/clearer?

• OLED

Votes: 137 69.2%
  • LCD

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • Depends (explain)

Votes: 11 5.6%

• Total voters

grandIOSe

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
Buenos Aires
For those of you who have used both the OLED phones and the LCD phones, which display is better? Which is clearer?

My own testing suggests that the answer is not unequivocally in favor of OLED. Interested to hear the experiences of others.

After comparing Xs and Xr screens side by side I felt there was a noticle difference between the two. The oled was much sharper, however, I could not justify the price tag of the Xs. The xr has a plenty clear enough screen, same main camera, A12 processor and I believe 1 gig less ram.

I am perfectly happy with the Xr to tell you the truth. Here is a question that left me wondering that someone may be able to answer. Is the screen glass on the Xr the same as the Xs? I saw two tiny scratches on my screen that I could not get rid off. I have a screen protector now.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Considering iOS and web browsing is
Mostly white I still say led is champ honestly

If you’re watching video oled no doubt.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Considering iOS and web browsing is Mostly white I still say led is champ honestly
And considering most folks think of interneting to be browsing the facebooks, instagrams and such ... there isn’t really much of OLED’s benefits being put to use for most users.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
And considering most folks think of interneting to be browsing the facebooks, instagrams and such ... there isn’t really much of OLED’s benefits being put to use for most users.

Meh, I think this pic sums it up in the simplest way. Sure, they're hard to distinguish from with proper ambient lighting, unless you're in dark environments, but still the OLED will have better contrast and brighter image. Isn't this like the HDR computer screens everyone wants so badly?

oled-vs-lcd.png

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Meh, I think this pic sums it up in the simplest way. Sure, they're hard to distinguish from with proper ambient lighting, unless you're in dark environments, but still the OLED will have better contrast and brighter image. Isn't this like the HDR computer screens everyone wants so badly?

oled-vs-lcd.png
I don’t think many folks will deny that you can see the differences in a direct side-by-side comparison, but when I use my XR, I don’t even remotely miss the advantages of OLED, if only because I can’t miss what I’m not seeing. I’ve used an XS Max and my current XR, and the only thing I notice is the black levels in extremely dim lighting, which is hardly a significant enough difference for me personally.

Besides, what is that comparison even showing really? Every OLED and LCD panels are calibrated differently in one way or another.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Besides, what is that comparison even showing really?

IMO it shows that since you need a reflector and other filters sandwiched in, the screen needs more nits, or the image looks washed out. Also, since the LEDs are emitting so much light, you'll never get true blacks compared to OLED.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

oled-vs-lcd.png

This is a great comparison here, since it makes sense based upon the technology of each. With OLED, each individual is emitting it's own light source, as opposed to artificially being lit through an LED backlight design.

The best reasons I've seen for purchasing an LCD iPhone really come down to the gap in price differences or PWM issues. I think PWM is far less common, as the average consumer doesn't even know what that is. Even if someone can tell the difference, plenty will buy the LCD iPhone. Though out in the Android space, LCD is very rare...where it's very cut throat for features. OLED is one of the main common similarities between nearly all Android Companies.

Even though the XR seems to be outselling the XS or XS Max, the vast majority of buyers I saw last night at an Apple Store buying the standard size XS, and usually in the gold finish. My experience is greatly anecdotal, so it's not good proof...and it was the day before Christmas. The XS/XS Max are certainly selling though... even with the existence of the XR.

Reactions: darksithpro

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Looking at that LCD vs OLED visualization (and more specifically the left side of it) side-by-side on my XS Max and 2017 12.9" iPad Pro the iPad's colors are indistinguishable from the Max's colors to the naked eye - except for the black, of course. When I tested it the difference in black was more obvious in a dark room than a lit room as expected. The test was done with True Tone and Night Shift turned off, and I also had to drop the iPad's brightness down to around 85-90% to match the levels because its display is brighter than the XS Max at full brightness.

So while that image gives you a rough idea of what kind of a difference to look for between LCDs and OLEDs, it's not and I assume it was not intended to be an accurate reproduction of the difference between Apple's LCD and OLED displays (at least as far as the XS Max and 2017 iPad Pro are concerned). And naturally my test represents a sample size of one which makes it more of an interesting observation than the last word on this topic.

Last edited:

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Apple implementation of OLED is simply superior to that of Android.

That may be true with some of the cheaper Android offerings, but is most certainly NOT true with Samsung's flagship phones, considering those Apple OLED screens are produced by Samsung. I would venture to say the iPhone tuned OLED's are probably equal to that of Samsung, which is amazing, since Samsung screens have always been regarded as one of it's highest selling points.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
That may be true with some of the cheaper Android offerings, but is most certainly NOT true with Samsung's flagship phones, considering those Apple OLED screens are produced by Samsung. I would venture to say the iPhone tuned OLED's are probably equal to that of Samsung, which is amazing, since Samsung screens have always been regarded as one of it's highest selling points.

I think where Apple is superior is the calibration of their screens.

I will say LCD is still brighter than OLED.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
According to apple website the bright calibration is the same (identical) for the xr and Xs.

side by side, good panels of each an XR blows away XS max brightness at 100% auto brightness off indoors on something like settings app

not even close

i saw it with my own eyes, apple can say whatever they want haha

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
side by side, good panels of each an XR blows away XS max brightness at 100% auto brightness off indoors on something like settings app

not even close

i saw it with my own eyes, apple can say whatever they want haha
I’m telling you what the website site said. In the store comparing the phones side by side the brightness was virtually identical with the same screens displayed on each device.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’m telling you what the website site said. In the store comparing the phones side by side the brightness was virtually identical with the same screens displayed on each device.

that might be with reflection and perfectly tuned apple lighting but it was substantial when i compared not in store

i dont doubt it tho!

everything looks magical under that lighting

Reactions: I7guy

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
OLED is better and clearer because of improved colour accuracy, deeper blacks and higher resolution

Objectively it's a much better display. This should not be a poll

It's a subjective thing if someone prefers LCD for X y and z reasons; a personal preference but apples LCD screens as impressive as they are not better than their OLEDs

kwk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Canada
OLED is better and clearer because of improved colour accuracy, deeper blacks and higher resolution

Objectively it's a much better display. This should not be a poll

It's a subjective thing if someone prefers LCD for X y and z reasons; a personal preference but apples LCD screens as impressive as they are not better than their OLEDs
Just curious, how does colour accuracy make the display clearer?

Gen0

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018

In two ways. One is range. High dynamic range OLED screens can show you the same image back with far better details because it's 'black' pixels individually have no backlight and thus are actually light-less. Each dot is lit independantly, meaning your dark green is actually less bright than your light green instead of being equally lit but differently shaded. And a screen full of black pixels is the same as an off display. This makes the contrast acheivable 'infinitely high'.

Second one is accuracy. Most Apple screens are color balanced, including those on the iPhones, and people don't know why they swear by them.

Aside from that, 'color-space' or the amount of achievable colors from the screen (every screen has a max brightness and thus max of each color they can output) is increased with the new 4K Rec standard, meaning literally brighter colors giving you more vibrance will be as standard with OLED tech. If you haven't got color calibration, your 'space is shifted' which makes the range of color avalaible lower.

kwk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Canada
In two ways. One is range. High dynamic range OLED screens can show you the same image back with far better details because it's 'black' pixels individually have no backlight and thus are actually light-less. Each dot is lit independantly, meaning your dark green is actually less bright than your light green instead of being equally lit but differently shaded. And a screen full of black pixels is the same as an off display. This makes the contrast acheivable 'infinitely high'.

Second one is accuracy. Most Apple screens are color balanced, including those on the iPhones, and people don't know why they swear by them.

Aside from that, 'color-space' or the amount of achievable colors from the screen (every screen has a max brightness and thus max of each color they can output) is increased with the new 4K Rec standard, meaning literally brighter colors giving you more vibrance will be as standard with OLED tech. If you haven't got color calibration, your 'space is shifted' which makes the range of color avalaible lower.
Dynamic range is not the same as sharpness. If a picture is clear, it's sharp, not dynamic.
An image can have great dynamic range but can still be soft.
Again, how does a colour balanced display make the image clearer?
Again, you mention more colour vibrancy, how does that make the image clearer?
A black and white image can be just as clear as a colour image.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
In two ways. One is range. High dynamic range OLED screens can show you the same image back with far better details because it's 'black' pixels individually have no backlight and thus are actually light-less..
It seems like you are confusing wider color gamut with pixel density.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

The higher PPI on Apples OLEDs makes it a clearer crisper display. The colour accuracy is a separate point as to why apples OLEDs are objectively superior.

What I said was a generalized statement as to what makes their OLED panels better. They've made some fantastic LCDs, even their higher resolution ones (iPad, MacBook) displays are fantastic. Myself, I have no problems with the 6/6s displays (pre P3). Just stating objectively there isn't a comparison if one is scrutinizing between the two, as this thread is. If it was financially feasible I'm sure apple would put OLED pannels in everything high range.

I have an iPhone X and a XR and use both regularly (personal, work) and there's a difference. Is it big? I suppose that is subjective. But I won't claim the XR to have an objectively better screen - it doesn't. Someone may prefer the XR screen though, and that's their choice.

(Nice avatar btw. I'm a Jets fan too!)

kwk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Canada
The higher PPI on Apples OLEDs makes it a clearer crisper display. The colour accuracy is a separate point as to why apples OLEDs are objectively superior.

What I said was a generalized statement as to what makes their OLED panels better. They've made some fantastic LCDs, even their higher resolution ones (iPad, MacBook) displays are fantastic. Myself, I have no problems with the 6/6s displays (pre P3). Just stating objectively there isn't a comparison if one is scrutinizing between the two, as this thread is. If it was financially feasible I'm sure apple would put OLED pannels in everything high range.

I have an iPhone X and a XR and use both regularly (personal, work) and there's a difference. Is it big? I suppose that is subjective. But I won't claim the XR to have an objectively better screen - it doesn't. Someone may prefer the XR screen though, and that's their choice.

(Nice avatar btw. I'm a Jets fan too!)
Now you got it right!

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
It sounds like some people might be making a personal justification for choosing the LCD over OLED, because it's cheaper, perhaps convincing themselves the LCD is better because they didn't want to pay 1+ grand for the OLEDs and feel like they have a 2nd rate phone. Simple fact is if the LCD screens are superior Apple would have never put them in their flagship phones in the first place. So whose correct, the ones saying LCD is better, or Apple who puts in the OLEDs with R&D in the billions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.